HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Timonen

Old
05-16-2007, 10:46 PM
ThorntonFan19

vCash: 500
Timonen

Hey guys just wondering if any one can give me a scouting report on him.
thanks in advance

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 11:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Great passer, good shot, decent skater. Good hockey sense in both ends of the ice. Makes up for his lack of strength and size by knowing where to be. Good at seeing a play before it happens in order to break it up and turn it back up ice.

His primary weakness is that while he's a good defensive d-man, his lack of size and strength get exploited against bigger\stronger teams(like the Sharks) and if it comes down to board-meetings, he's not going to come out on top all that often.

He'd be best used, at this point, as a 1st PP unit, 2nd ES unit guy...maybe some PK time if needed. He's been misused a little in Nashville the past couple of seasons, and it was starting to become apparent.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 11:22 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

The sharks would still love him. The thing I noticed about Timonen that the sharks have never had is his ability to clear the puck out of his zone very reliably, so I think his PK work is underrated.

Nashville would be crazy not to keep him.

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 11:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanceOfMaternity View Post
The sharks would still love him. The thing I noticed about Timonen that the sharks have never had is his ability to clear the puck out of his zone very reliably, so I think his PK work is underrated.

Nashville would be crazy not to keep him.
The problem is that he's not exactly rumored to be coming cheap.

We'd love to have him at a rate that allows us to sign even a second tier stay at home guy...a Sarich or Vaananen, someone like that...but unfortunately, he's looking for money in the 5 million dollar range, from what reports say.

Old
05-17-2007, 08:50 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Great passer, good shot, decent skater. Good hockey sense in both ends of the ice. Makes up for his lack of strength and size by knowing where to be. Good at seeing a play before it happens in order to break it up and turn it back up ice.

His primary weakness is that while he's a good defensive d-man, his lack of size and strength get exploited against bigger\stronger teams(like the Sharks) and if it comes down to board-meetings, he's not going to come out on top all that often.

He'd be best used, at this point, as a 1st PP unit, 2nd ES unit guy...maybe some PK time if needed. He's been misused a little in Nashville the past couple of seasons, and it was starting to become apparent.

Don't forget that while he's still got good feet as a skater, he's straight line speed was dreadfully slow at times last year. He doesn't have to have Kevin Klein wheels, but at his size, he has to be faster than he is in this new NHL. There aren't too many quality forwards in the NHL that can't outskate him at this point. Hopefully that was due to injuries, but I noticed it last year and this one.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 01:06 PM
peperebougon*

every hab fan would like timonen to sign with the habs to play with souray or to replace him... We are really high on him!having him and andrei markov on the same squad would be great for us since we are weak at defense. markov-komisarek, souray-timonen, streit-obyrne would be cool! these would be well balanced with one very good puck moving d-men(markov streit timonen) and three hard hitting monsters(komisaurus obyrne souray with a healthy soulder). Timonen would help with souray's defense 5 on 5 wich is his only big weakness. So please let him go! I would offer him 4.5 or 5m$. Is he worth it? or more???

we really need a good dmen to help Markov!

P.S.: we would also like to take hartnell from you!

Last edited by peperebougon*: 05-26-2007 at 01:13 PM.
peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Peter Griffin

I'd love to see him in Vancouver but the most I'd could see them offering is $4 mil per and at that price, Timonen wouldn't even consider the Canucks. I expect him to get upwards of $5.5 mil from some team.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 10:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I'd love to see him in Vancouver but the most I'd could see them offering is $4 mil per and at that price, Timonen wouldn't even consider the Canucks. I expect him to get upwards of $5.5 mil from some team.
There's been talk that the Preds offered 4.5 and it wasn't enough for him to hold off and see if he can get more if he hits the open market...which I suspect he will.

This is despite the fact that he's said he would PREFER to stay in Nashville, as he likes the city and likes being captain. I think he and his agent are expecting a pretty substantial payday.

Old
05-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Dragon

Well Andrei Markov is signed for 5.75M a year. Expect Timonen will go between 5.5M to 6.5M in an open market

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 07:12 AM
AdsSabresRule

Timmonen..

After that Markhov signing, Timmo is gone. No way you guys pay him what he'll get on the open market...IMO. The Habs are losing Souray, they had to pay Markhov. But that deal just raised the bar at least a mil - a - year higher I think than it was before...

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 08:19 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Well Andrei Markov is signed for 5.75M a year. Expect Timonen will go between 5.5M to 6.5M in an open market
Markov is without a doubt better than him, but i would like to see Timonen in Montréal instead of Souray...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 09:22 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Markov is without a doubt better than him, but i would like to see Timonen in Montréal instead of Souray...
It's funny how Habs fans say "Markov is better than Timonen"(the reasonable ones will at least say they're equal players, but Timonen is older)

But no one else seems to agree. Timonen is older, yes...but he's been as good\better than Markov for some time, and is more proven. Someone is going to pay Timonen at LEAST 5.5, and I think the Oilers will throw six at him.

Old
05-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Talentless Practise*

It'll be sad to see him leave. Not that i'm a fan of Nashville or anything but it was kinda cool for him to be the only guy who has been with the franchise since it was founded.

(alteast that's what i've been led to believe, is it infact true?)

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 09:29 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
It'll be sad to see him leave. Not that i'm a fan of Nashville or anything but it was kinda cool for him to be the only guy who has been with the franchise since it was founded.

(alteast that's what i've been led to believe, is it infact true?)
No. Vokoun has as well, and technically David Legwand.

Old
05-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Oh well, not the only guy but still one of the founding fathers. Thanks for the clear up.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Stranger

Quote:
And don't forget, Maaarrriiiaaannn CISAR!

heh

NP.com still has us owning his rights; not sure how accurate that is.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 12:33 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
It's funny how Habs fans say "Markov is better than Timonen"(the reasonable ones will at least say they're equal players, but Timonen is older)

But no one else seems to agree. Timonen is older, yes...but he's been as good\better than Markov for some time, and is more proven. Someone is going to pay Timonen at LEAST 5.5, and I think the Oilers will throw six at him.
I'm really not the type of guy who will hype Habs players since most of them suck, but Markov is god

Without him we would fight with Philly for the last spot in the league.

Old
06-10-2007, 08:48 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

I would rather the Habs throw 5.5 at Timonen than Souray...does Koivu being captain have an effect on his decision...?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 04:50 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I would rather the Habs throw 5.5 at Timonen than Souray...does Koivu being captain have an effect on his decision...?
Yes of course, like when Selanne signed with the Habs last year...