HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: All time Blues Roster

Old
05-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Firefighter Havok

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Firefighter Havok Send a message via MSN to Firefighter Havok
OT: All time Blues Roster

Hey everyone,

I have a little project I'm doing for each team's board. I want to put together all-time teams for all 30 teams. One down and twenty-nine to go. Now it's time for you, the fans of the St. Louis Blues to step up and vote for your team...

Here are the rules...

1) must be past or present player
2) must have dressed for at least 1 game for the team.
3) must have 4 lines, 3 d-pairings, and 2 goaltenders, and 5 players on the pine 1 must be a goaltender.
4) if a player is classified as having a secondary position you may use him there.. Otherwise use him at his natural position (Example: Staal C/LW this season)

Why am I doing this you ask...

I found a website called nhl94.com You are able to play NHL '94 using a genesis or SNES emulator...The best thing about it is you can edit everything about it using graphics editing progs.

I plan releasing an HFboards all-time version...

I'm going to give this 10 days and on Wednesday, May 23rd I'll start tallying votes...Each player mentioned will get a point...The final lineups will be derived from it...

Thanks for everyone's help

Firefighter Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 11:15 PM
BlueBleeder

Shanahan - Oates - Hull
Sutter - Federko - Demitra
Petterson - Berenson - Mullen
Courtnall - Unger - Sabourin

MacInnis - Ramage
Pronger - Brown
Plager - Plager

Goal - Liut, Hall

Bench - Fuhr, Turbbull, Patey, Gilmour, Gassoff

Last edited by BlueBleeder: 05-17-2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: reflects current rules
BlueBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Rush11

[QUOTE= *Pays to have a bunch of superstars at the end of thier careers for this.[/QUOTE]

That's what my question would be- do we get the 80's version of Stastny or the ancient, slow version of Stastny that the Blues actually had? Same thing with a lot of the other players that the Blues had at the end of the career.

* How do you have a Blues team with out Oates? I know some people are still ticked at him, but he was awesome when he was here!

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Gman7191

when i was looking up some of the blues all-time stats I had no idea Pavol Demitra was that high up on a lot of thoose lists.

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:28 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBleeder View Post
Dickie Moore - Wayne Gretzky - Brett Hull
Brendan Shanahan - Peter Stastny - Pavol Demitra
Brian Sutter - Doug Gilmour - Joe Mullen
Esa Tikkanen - Guy Carbonneau - Glenn Anderson

Al MacInnis - Doug Harvey
Chris Pronger - Scott Stevens
Rob Rammage - Phil Housley

Jaques Plante
Glenn Hall

Bench - Grant Fuhr, Bernie Federko, Adam Oates, Gary Unger, Bob Plager
Carbonneau and Stastny played better for The Blues than Red Berenson and Gary Unger? Phil Housley played better Than Barc Plager?

This list should be based on how these players played for The Blues. Even Gretzky shouldn't be on. His 14 games were just ordinary. Nothing special. By that time he was just an ordinary set-up man. Doug Harvey played pretty well, as ancient as he was. And Dickie Moore did too (but nothing spectacular).

If you're going to add over-the-hill stars of other teams, what about Dale Hawerchuk and Phil Goyette?

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:10 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 121
I imagine they are looking for all time stats. Not all time "how they played on the respective teams" list

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:34 PM
fan in oregon

It all starts with Barclay Plager, Gary Unger, Bernie Federko, Brian Sutter and Brett Hull.

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 02:58 PM
BlueBleeder

If it was based on actual play with Blues, my roster would be very diffrent. But it's based on the careers of the players.

I like Oates, but Stastny and Gretzky > Oates. And Gilmour is a better fit on the third line then Oates.

BlueBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 121
where's the love for the Hawerchuk or the Brind'Amour?

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:39 PM
barnburner

Just a personal opinion, but to me - any all-time Blues team should be made up of people that have played a minimum of 3 seasons with the Blues.
Players like Gretzky, Stevens and Jacque Plante shouldn't be eligible.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
Just a personal opinion, but to me - any all-time Blues team should be made up of people that have played a minimum of 3 seasons with the Blues.
Players like Gretzky, Stevens and Jacque Plante shouldn't be eligible.
I'll agree about Gretzky with only 14 games, and he wasn't spectacular in those. But Stevens played a full season at an all-star level, having one of the greatestseasons of any Blues defenceman. He should be considered. Jacques Plante had two super seasons as Blues' goalie, and shared The Vezina trophy. He was almost unbeatable in 1968-69. Even just considering his play as a Blue, when he was hot in 1968-69, he was playing at a level better than any Blues' goalie I've seen, other than Glenn Hall's unbelievable performance in the 1967-68 finals. He deserves consideration as an all-time Blue as well.

Old
05-14-2007, 10:24 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'll agree about Gretzky with only 14 games, and he wasn't spectacular in those. But Stevens played a full season at an all-star level, having one of the greatestseasons of any Blues defenceman. He should be considered. Jacques Plante had two super seasons as Blues' goalie, and shared The Vezina trophy. He was almost unbeatable in 1968-69. Even just considering his play as a Blue, when he was hot in 1968-69, he was playing at a level better than any Blues' goalie I've seen, other than Glenn Hall's unbelievable performance in the 1967-68 finals. He deserves consideration as an all-time Blue as well.
I appreciate your point. I'm a huge Scott Stevens fan, and it's really hard for me to leave him off my alltime team, but you have to draw a line somewhere. Like I said, it's just a personal opinion. It just seems to me that 3 years would be a good minimum to say, yes - this person spent enough time here, to be "a Blue". It's tough for me to have to scratch someone like Bobby Plager, Ed Kea, Jimmy Roberts, Bobby Gassoff, Al Arbour, etc., who gave so much over a longer period of time, for a guy like Stevens, who was fantastic, but only played one year. Plante was another favorite of mine, I'm old enough to have had the pleasure of watching the greatest goaltending tandem in history (Hall/Plante) play for the Blues. Again, it's a difficult call for me to leave Plante off, but I tried to set a minimum that wasn't influenced by my personal favorites.

At any rate, this would be my lineup.

Shanahan - Unger - Hull
Sutter - Federko - Mullen
Petterson - Berenson - Demitra
Turbull - Gilmour - Sabourin

Barc Plager - Pronger
Bobby Plager - MacInnis
Gassoff - Al Arbour

Glenn Hall
Mike Liut

Bench - Jimmy Roberts, Ramage
(the omission of Oates is obvious - but after his contract antics - I'd never have him in a Blues jersey again - even tho he was a great, great center. Including Hull was difficult enough for me, but despite his substantial baggage, his goalscoring couldn't be ignored.)

Last edited by barnburner: 05-14-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old
05-15-2007, 11:48 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
(the omission of Oates is obvious - but after his contract antics - I'd never have him in a Blues jersey again - even tho he was a great, great center. Including Hull was difficult enough for me, but despite his substantial baggage, his goalscoring couldn't be ignored.)
Yet you had no trouble putting Shanny on there.
What he did is far worse than a contract dispute.

I spoke with Havok via PM, and he said that it is based off of what they did in the note. Here is my team.

Shanahan - Oates - Hull
Sutter - Federko - Mullen
Petterson - Berenson - Demitra
Turbull - Unger - Sabourin

Pronger-MacInnis
Plager #5-Picard
Gassoff - Plager #8

Glenn Hall
Mike Liut

Reserves: Grant Fuhr, Doug Gilmour, Al Arbour

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 01:58 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
Yet you had no trouble putting Shanny on there.
What he did is far worse than a contract dispute.
Actually, I did have trouble putting Shanny on there. Put him on and took him off several times before finally leaving him on there. What he did was really bad, but, to my knowledge, was never repeated. Oates has done his "demanding a contract renegotiation" several times.
and, it wasn't a contract dispute. There was nothing to dispute. He simply refused to honor his contract. A man that won't honor his word is a man without honor, and will never receive any sort of recognition from me.

Old
05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
I see where you're coming from. I don't necessarily agree, but I do see your logic. Despite what they did though, it's not about them as people. It's about their accomplishments on the ice. Both are very worthy to be on this list.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Robb_K

All Time Blues Team

Shanahan - Oates - Hull
B. Sutter - Federko - Mullen
Pettersen - Unger - Demitra
Turnbull-Berenson-Courtnall (cheating here (offwing)

Pronger-MacInnis
B. Plager-Stevens
R.Plager-Ramage

Plante
Hall

Extra- Liut, Gilmour, Turgeon, Harvey, Housley

Last edited by Robb_K: 05-17-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old
05-16-2007, 09:21 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

I agree on the 3 year rule. I would replace Stevens with Jeff Brown. I don't see him on any of these lists. He was awesome. Put him and MacInnis on the power play and look out. I believe they were both RH shots though.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Firefighter Havok

Send a message via AIM to Firefighter Havok Send a message via MSN to Firefighter Havok
I think the three year rule is a sticking point so I will change the rules a bit. In respect to Plante he was indeed a huge building block in goal for the team at the beginning. I think we can compromise however at two seasons...

One in my opinion is too little, and three is too many...

Firefighter Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok View Post
I think the three year rule is a sticking point so I will change the rules a bit. In respect to Plante he was indeed a huge building block in goal for the team at the beginning. I think we can compromise however at two seasons...

One in my opinion is too little, and three is too many...
Then Harvey and Plante can stay, but Stevens, Moore, Ron Stewart, Goyette and Gretzky can't be used.

Old
05-17-2007, 09:24 AM
itc82

Well, if we're going based off what they did in the note, here's my all-time Blues line-up:

Brendan Shanahan - Bernie Federko - Brett Hull
Brian Sutter - Garry Unger - Joe Mullen
Doug Gilmour - Red Berenson - Pavol Demitra
Jorgen Petterson - Adam Oates - Perry Turnbull

Al MacInnis - Bob Plager
Chris Pronger - Barclay Plager
Bob Gassoff - Jeff Brown

Glenn Hall
Mike Liut

Reserves: Gary Sabourin, Geoff Courtnall, Noel Picard, Rob Ramage, Jaques Plante

itc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Gman7191

I think it is wrong to have Hull and Oates on the same team and not have them together on a line.

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I agree on the 3 year rule. I would replace Stevens with Jeff Brown. I don't see him on any of these lists. He was awesome. Put him and MacInnis on the power play and look out. I believe they were both RH shots though.
Jeff Brown was great on offence, but only so-so on defence. A defenceman's first job is to play defence. An all-time team should have players that played well in both zones (like Pronger, MacInnis, Ramage, Barc Plager, etc.). Steve Duschene was great on offence (esp. PP), but I wouldn't put him on this team, either.

Old
05-18-2007, 08:45 AM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Steve Duschene was great on offence (esp. PP), but I wouldn't put him on this team, either.
Nor would I. Another guy that became the invisable man when the hitting started.

Old
05-18-2007, 04:46 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok View Post
Hey everyone,

I have a little project I'm doing for each team's board. I want to put together all-time teams for all 30 teams. One down and twenty-nine to go. Now it's time for you, the fans of the St. Louis Blues to step up and vote for your team...

Here are the rules...

1) must be past or present player
2) must have dressed for at least 1 game for the team.
3) must have 4 lines, 3 d-pairings, and 2 goaltenders, and 5 players on the pine 1 must be a goaltender.
4) if a player is classified as having a secondary position you may use him there.. Otherwise use him at his natural position (Example: Staal C/LW this season)

Why am I doing this you ask...

I found a website called nhl94.com You are able to play NHL '94 using a genesis or SNES emulator...The best thing about it is you can edit everything about it using graphics editing progs.

I plan releasing an HFboards all-time version...

I'm going to give this 10 days and on Wednesday, May 23rd I'll start tallying votes...Each player mentioned will get a point...The final lineups will be derived from it...

Thanks for everyone's help
Here would be mine

Shanahan-Oates-Hull
B.Sutter-Federko-Mullen
J.Lemieux-Unger-Raglan
Twist-Meagher-Chase

J.Brown-MacInnis
Stevens-Pronger
Barclay Plager-Gassoff

Liut
Fuhr

Bench