HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei AND Sergei Kostitsyn OR Getzlaf?

View Poll Results: Which option would you prefer for the HABS?
Andrei AND Sergei Kostitsyn 71 53.79%
Ryan Getzlaf 61 46.21%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-18-2007, 04:29 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Andrei AND Sergei Kostitsyn OR Getzlaf?

Just for fun...(don't get all alarmed now!), if you had a choice, which one would you take? (IMO, Andrei Kosts is the reason Sergei Kosts is here, as well...as if they came together...or go along with this theory!).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 04:47 AM
Jarmusch

Getzlaf in Montreal would never have been the Getzlaf we know.
Same for A. Kostitsyn...

there is my two point : 1- Anaheim is a way better team than Mtl, so as long as Hockey is a team sport, every players look better. 2- The Mtl "system" is everything but good for a young player.

Latendresse is the only kid for years who get the right treatment a good prospect need to get to improve his play.

Jarmusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
'Cause I like to contradict myself, and even though I think Getzlaf wouldn't be the player he is with the Ducks, he still would be an important asset, big tall and skilled center. Getzlaf was our most important mistake in the Timmins era, I believe.

To think that Anaheim succeeded in getting Getzlaf and Perry in the 1st round, has to be, for that alone, one of the best draft ever. And a good draft pick for O'Brien seals the deal. Sure it's a sign that you have a bunch of great scouts when you can have 3 or 4 players in a draft year that reaches the NHL, but I would trade that once in a while in order to have a draft with 1 or 2 players that will reach the NHL but will significantly change the face of your franchise and that's what Anaheim did in 2003. For me, it's as good as a year when 4 players reaches the league playing on the 3rd and 4th line....Having said that our own 2005 may reach that level of when Price and Latendresse develop nicely. And then imagine if D'Agostini and Kostitsyn become more than fillers....

But then, why do we have a choice between A.Kost AND S.Kost vs Getzlaf? It's not because we would not have picked A. Kost that we would not have scouted S. Kost in the process.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 05-18-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 07:53 AM
GoHabs20

Getzlaf all the way.

didn't he get the game winner last night?

GoHabs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Still Getzlaf. But I hope that if you start the same poll 3 years from now my answer will change.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 12:44 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Well, Anaheim got Getzlaf, Perry and O'Brien in that draft and we got Andrei Kostitsyn, Jaroslav Halak and Maxim Lapierre.

From then on, through scouting Andrei Kostitsyn we found Mikhail Grabovski and Sergei Kostitsyn.. So the question is, would we do this trade.

Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei Kostitsyn
Mikhail Grabovski
Jaroslav Halak
Maxim Lapierre

for
Ryan Getzlaf
Corey Perry
Shane O'Brien.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Sam I Am

A rugged 21-year old scoring winger. The kind of player we've tried (but failed) to draft for years if not decades.

Or two brothers who have yet to prove anything in the NHL. Neither of whom can be truly considered blue-chip prospects in the way that, let's say, Jonathan Toews is.

C'mon people--it's a no-brainer!

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Is this serious? ~ Getzlaf of course !

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 01:08 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmusch View Post
2- The Mtl "system" is everything but good for a young player.
I'd like to see some more rationale for this.

Was Carbo trying to instill defensively responsible, two-way play into this past years personnel? How could this not be good for a young players development?

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
From then on, through scouting Andrei Kostitsyn we found Mikhail Grabovski and Sergei Kostitsyn.. So the question is, would we do this trade.
I agree that through scouting we found other players. But we still could've scouted Kosty Sr. and not pick him but picked Kosty Jr. and Grabo anyway.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

Getzlaf is on his way to be a 1st line center as soon as next year , its not even close ... so Getzlaf . AK and SK prove nothing in the NHL

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Ross MacLochness

Are we going to be seeing this thread for the next 10 years?

Getzlaf was drafted 18th for goddsakes, behind future superstars like Nillson and Jessimen. Its not like he was a sure fire top 5 pick who we decided to pass on to take a gamble with Kostitsyn (Who, by the way, will be a very good player in this league)

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmusch View Post

Latendresse is the only kid for years who get the right treatment a good prospect need to get to improve his play.
Higgins and Plekanec come to mind.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 01:52 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
Hopefully, because that will mean we're still missing the playoffs every year

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Hopefully, because that will mean we're still missing the playoffs every year
You're becoming one of my favourite posters.

...just lose the Oasis avatar.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Namso

getzlaf easily, and i'm a huge kosty fan.

both kosty's havent really done anything so far. Getzlaf has, and he's the same age as AK!

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

I love "if" threads

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 04:24 PM
LeMAD

Come one people, Getzlaf's upside is really high. I like both Kostitsyns, but thy might never be full time nhlers.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Ducks_è_Halos

vCash: 641
Quote:

Getzlaf was drafted 18th for goddsakes, behind future superstars like Nillson and Jessimen. Its not like he was a sure fire top 5 pick who we decided to pass on to take a gamble with Kostitsyn (Who, by the way, will be a very good player in this league)
19th

Btw, as a Ducks fan, I voted for the Habs to keep the Kostitsyns and for the Getzlaf to remain w/ Anaheim.

Ducks_è_Halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 05:10 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
It's a nice change from complaining about picking Jason Ward ahead of Hossa or whoever. I miss the complaining about not picking Bergeron though, that didn't last really long.

Don't worry, next year it will be another prospect.

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause I like to contradict myself, and even though I think Getzlaf wouldn't be the player he is with the Ducks, he still would be an important asset, big tall and skilled center. Getzlaf was our most important mistake in the Timmins era, I believe.

To think that Anaheim succeeded in getting Getzlaf and Perry in the 1st round, has to be, for that alone, one of the best draft ever. And a good draft pick for O'Brien seals the deal. Sure it's a sign that you have a bunch of great scouts when you can have 3 or 4 players in a draft year that reaches the NHL, but I would trade that once in a while in order to have a draft with 1 or 2 players that will reach the NHL but will significantly change the face of your franchise and that's what Anaheim did in 2003. For me, it's as good as a year when 4 players reaches the league playing on the 3rd and 4th line....Having said that our own 2005 may reach that level of when Price and Latendresse develop nicely. And then imagine if D'Agostini and Kostitsyn become more than fillers....

But then, why do we have a choice between A.Kost AND S.Kost vs Getzlaf? It's not because we would not have picked A. Kost that we would not have scouted S. Kost in the process.
True (& not true), we'll never know for sure unless you/I have inside info from Tiimmins/Gainey...

But, IMO...Sergei is a HAB because Andrei is...(same goes for Grabovski).
No one else picked Sergei...we did with what is now considered a steal in the 7th Round (IMO, it has something to do with Andrei being a HAB).

That's why I say & include both Kosts brothers VS Getzlaf.
Also...just trying to put a positive spin on things...
It's very easy to choose Getzlaf NOW, but give it time...
Both Montreal AND Anaheim can be winners with their choices (that's what I believe, that's my prediction...just my opinion, or wishful thinking?!!).

IF in a year or two, Andrei & Sergei prove to be very valuable players to the HABS, we'll be praising Gainey/Timmins/other HAB scouts...(that's what I'm hoping for, we just need a year or two to be more certain about Sergei/Andrei...).

Old
05-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
It's a nice change from complaining about picking Jason Ward ahead of Hossa or whoever. I miss the complaining about not picking Bergeron though, that didn't last really long.

Don't worry, next year it will be another prospect.
That's why we have "Hockey's Future"

Next year, at least we can't do this with Sergei (individually), since he was a steal in the 7th Round. IMO, he should have been picked in the 1st round (maybe late 1st round).

Old
05-18-2007, 05:46 PM
goalchenyuk

Getzlaf is very good . great ! But , the fact that Kosty and Kosty Jr didn't prove nothing yet in the NHL doesn't mean that they won't be as good as Getzlaf , or that they could be just a bit lesser good .

I like team with depht , so i think that i would stick with the two brothers ; I prefer a team like Buffalo to a team like Tampa

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Getzlaf is very good . great ! But , the fact that Kosty and Kosty Jr didn't prove nothing yet in the NHL doesn't mean that they won't be as good as Getzlaf , or that they could be just a bit lesser good .

I like team with depht , so i think that i would stick with the two brothers ; I prefer a team like Buffalo to a team like Tampa
There you go...(well said/written).

Like I previously wrote...it's VERY, VERY easy to choose Getzlaf NOW.

But, we have 2 players (bonus part!: brothers with different styles to complement each other!) who have HUGE potential. We can be rewarded big time in the near future.

I'm sure most of you are glad I'm not the GM or main scout of the HABS, BUT I'd hold on to our 2 Kostitsyn brothers (also...like you I love depth like Buffalo OVER a "4-5 player/team" like Tampa).

Also...we can always/will sign a solid UFA center (maybe not a very young Getzlaf, but maybe a Drury...always possible).

In the long run (next 4-5 seasons)...Buffalo (IMO) will be way better than Tampa; AND...Anaheim can't keep both Pronger and Niedermayer (even Giguere) for too, too long...as good as Anaheim is (right now!), San Jose has way more depth, way more young/cheap players for the future than Anaheim (I could be wrong!!).

Depth via smart Drafting, speed/skill (& grit, leadership doesn't hurt either!) is the way to go in the newer NHL...

Sure I'm losing a bit of patience here & there with the whole DRAFTING system we have, BUT...
Komisarek, Higgins, Price, Halak, Plekanec, Lapierre , Sergei & Andrei Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Grabovski, Chipchura, O'Byrne, maybe Emelin?, maybe Valentenko?, Fischer, Maxwell, White, D'Agostini, etc...
Something's gotta give!!!! Sooner than later our depth/drafting WILL, should pay off...

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 05-18-2007 at 06:20 PM.