HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If we had drafted for size in the past drafts

Old
05-19-2007, 01:38 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I guess the crux of my disagreements in this thread boil down to finding it hard to believe that any of us could possibly know that the Habs "took Chouinard in 1998 because he was 2" taller and 20 lbs heavier than Gagne".

You can look up my posts on Google before the draft, and I was pretty clear in my distaste for Chouinard and his lack of intensity, and my preference for Gagne. But I guess at the end of the day, even when the outcome disagrees with my own personal draft preference, I don't just assume the people who made that decision were idiots, that they based their decision on something as flimsy as 2" and 20lbs alone. I don't believe Houle had one iota of input or influence on the decision. Maybe he did. But it doesn't seem likely to me. For all we know, it wasn't between Chouinard and Gagne for the Habs anyway, even if it was for a lot of us debating the pick at the time. Maybe it was between Choiunard and Scott Parker or Mathieu Biron, and we picked the smaller guy with more pure talent and speed.

Well, Chouinard had a rifle of a shot. But he just couldn't skate. People thought he was lazy, but I think he just couldn't skate. Bottom line. He didn't have Gagne to go get him the puck anymore to set up his shot.

Just like Marcel Hossa. Marcel never wanted to carry the puck, probably because he grew up giving it to Marian who would never give it back. But you could justify taking Marcel because of his skill set and size. Marcel also had a rifle, but he didn't know how to use it. However, it must be hard to judge character when the guy speaks another language. You'd need someone who speaks the same language to make that judgement AND to be honest about it.

So, Chouinard couldn't get in range and Marcel didn't know how to use his weapons.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 01:42 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
Im a little optimist of course, but when a guy with so much pressure manage to live up to the very high expectation I say we got a really good pick there.

A goalie that will successfully manage to jump from Junior hockey to Ahl Playoff and to carry on his team is definately a very good prospect.
Kopitar made the jump to the SEL, then to the NHL pretty quickly too. And he's a big centerman. Too early to tell, of course. Price definitely looks like the real deal though. Big and quick with attitude.

Can a list be made of the big guys who CAN skate who were taken in the first round in the past five drafts and the big guys who CAN'T? Broken down by position? Then we can get a percentage on the thing, no? I'm sure that can be matched against many variables too: skillset, country/region, pre-draft rankings, junior team, college program, junior or college coach, projected role, etc. I mean, if the Habs AREN'T doing that, then there's a problem.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 05-19-2007 at 01:51 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote