HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumor-Michal Handzus to Philly or the Avs?

Old
05-16-2007, 06:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rumor-Michal Handzus to Philly or the Avs?

Quote:
Handzus still undecided: When Michal Handzus cleaned out his locker after the season, he told reporters he and his agent would let the Hawks know by the end of April what their plans were for unrestricted free agency.

Dale Tallon said Handzus still hasn’t told him if he plans to re-sign with the Hawks or become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

“That’s how these things work,” Tallon said. “We’re trying to sign him and we still have time.”

While no other teams can negotiate with him until July 1, there is talk he is wanted by Philadelphia and Colorado
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=313183

Dale has his answer

Quote:
Keator has said there will be no shortage of interest in Handzus come July 1 and free agency.
The two sides haven't talked for a couple of weeks

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....awks-headlines

Last edited by RangerBoy: 05-16-2007 at 06:21 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I'm not sure what role he'd play in Philly these days, but there's no way he'd get the $4 million a year he supposedly wanted.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

He could be a good fill in with the Devils, should Gomez leaves.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I'm not sure what role he'd play in Philly these days, but there's no way he'd get the $4 million a year he supposedly wanted.
Can he play wing? I'd love to see him play on Richards wing (for less than $4M).

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Am I the only person who would be hesitant about Handzus right now? I know that knee problems aren't the career killers they once were, but it's not like Handzus wasn't already one of the worst skaters in the league. I would just be very cautious about handing out a big dollar long term deal is all I'm saying.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 09:48 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Am I the only person who would be hesitant about Handzus right now? I know that knee problems aren't the career killers they once were, but it's not like Handzus wasn't already one of the worst skaters in the league. I would just be very cautious about handing out a big dollar long term deal is all I'm saying.
I don't see the need for him in Philly, but I don't think the knee injury assuming he's healthy have much of an impact. handzus was already one of the slower players in the game. He's already effective while being a below average skater.

Losing a step or even a half step which would present a much bigger problem for someone like Havlat or Afinogenov than a guy like Handzus.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Hammerwise

I just can't see the flyers picking him up. He's not a good 1st line or 2nd line option. And for the probably 2.8+mil he'll get, a bit too much money for 3rd line.

Philly is making a transition to be a faster club and needs playmakers and Handzus doesn't help that.

(Why is it so many proposals have philly picking up ex-flyers: zubrus, handzus, justin williams, danny markov?)

Hammerwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 11:39 AM
vexXed

Absolutely love the guy but as all the Flyer fans have said there is just no where to put him. He would have to be a center to thrive and we are jammed up with them. I'm not sure how he would fare converting to wing, but I heard he tried it for the Blues and it wasn't pretty. Then again that was a while ago.

I thought the past line of LeClair - Handzus - Recchi was great, but this was pre lockout. His speed is certainly a concern in the new NHL.

I always saw him as an utility player. Good defensively while chipping in offensively, he could play either the 2nd or 3rd line well. If he improved the skating then I think he could be a good 2 way player.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 12:03 PM
McNasty

He did fine riding shotgun with Havlat till he hurt his knee.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 12:58 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachovia Center View Post
Can he play wing? I'd love to see him play on Richards wing (for less than $4M).
yes, he was originally LW ,and played there with richards last season

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 01:20 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Handzus apparently tore his ACL (http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/new...story_id=3468)...If he had surgery for it (which is safe to assume that he did), the surgeon reconstructs a new ACL (graft) from parts of your tendons of the "hamstring" muscles (most usually). These tendons are 2.5 times strong than the ACL. Eventually, there is some wasting of these grafts and the recovery is long. From what I remember, you also lose some proprioception (or ability for your knee to balance the forces on the joint). Regardless, the graft is still about 1.5 times stronger. ACL injuries used to kill careers. Now, your knee becomes stronger with such injuries. The recovery is good. There is also some talk that the sooner athletes with such injuries rehab (against doctor's advice), the better the outcome. I'm an Avalanche fan. If the Avs want Handzus...I say get him without any hesitation. But, I also remember that he suffered a shoulder injury (with Philly originally). That concerns me more. If he tore a rotator cuff, then those injuries can persist because the recovery is not as good.

Last edited by fcbarcelona: 05-16-2007 at 10:56 PM.
fcbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 02:31 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
id love him as a ultilty player for philly. could fill in second line LW with carter and upshall. would proivde big body presence and has playmaking ability. or could play 3rd line LW with richards and kapanen or even 4th line C with eager and umberger

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

He isn't comming back. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, he's still in my avatar after all this time, but he has no place in Philly.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Norm MacDonald

I could see Philly signing him to play on the 3rd or even 2nd line. A lot of Flyers fans think that they will be getting a first-line UFA winger to play on their 2nd line, which isn't happening. Handzus would be a decent alternative if they can't find anyone else. Plus, he was a fan favorite when he was there.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
I could see Philly signing him to play on the 3rd or even 2nd line. A lot of Flyers fans think that they will be getting a first-line UFA winger to play on their 2nd line, which isn't happening. Handzus would be a decent alternative if they can't find anyone else. Plus, he was a fan favorite when he was there.
Problem is that he probably wont want 2nd, and definatly not 3rd line money. I just don't think he fits on this team as a second line winger.

I'm not sure that any Flyer fan expects them to sign a 1st liner for the second line. This team has two gaping holes to fill, a first line center, and a #1 Dman.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 04:54 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Handzus will demand ALOT of $$$ and I think he'll have a hard time finding a team that will accept his demands. I'd love to see him in a Devils uniform but for less then 3M$. He's big and defensive minded wich fits perfectly our style of game but every body seems resilient to give the guy a huge contract because of his injury and that will hurt his negotiations.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Poulinsflakjacket

I appreciate what the guy did here...but this would be a step back. Just keep going forward and stay the course. I don't want to bring back any older ex-flyers.

Poulinsflakjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 09:41 PM
steinie77

Zeus would still fit in Philly if the Flyers make a trade of at least one of their younger centers like Richards, Umberger, or Potulny. Otherwise, Zeus could define the third line for Philly by centering it with Richards on the left and Eager on the right, but I would sign him to a one or two year deal worth not more than 3 million per season in order to keep the money for bigger free agents. Zeus is a missing piece in Philly if one believes that Richards may not make it all the way there as a checking shutdown center.

steinie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Stuy

As said on the hotstove he is seeking over 4mill for 4 years.

05-19-2007, 05:21 PM
bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I don't see the need for him in Philly, but I don't think the knee injury assuming he's healthy have much of an impact. handzus was already one of the slower players in the game. He's already effective while being a below average skater.

Losing a step or even a half step which would present a much bigger problem for someone like Havlat or Afinogenov than a guy like Handzus.
Agree.

bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 07:12 PM
ThemooseGrazier

COL gets Handuz tuommo Ruuto
CHI gets Arnason and 2nd round Wolski

ThemooseGrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Coug555

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemooseGrazier View Post
BAHAHAHAHAHA

Coug555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Belgican

Forget it, the Avs will try to keep their better prospects, no need to deal them when they actually are playing great and fulfilling the expectations

Belgican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemooseGrazier View Post
Well, let's just take out Arnason and Hanzus because they're UFAs, this leaves Rutuu for Wolski and a second round pick.

A young, talented, but perpetually injured winger for a young, talented center/winger and a pick. Nah.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote