HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richter and the HHOF

Old
05-19-2007, 01:26 PM
tronylon

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to tronylon
Richter and the HHOF

I believe that this year is 35's first year of eligibility at the hall. With the class that is coming in, I highly doubt he has any shot this year. Do you think he'll have a legit shot at making it?

tronylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronylon View Post
I believe that this year is 35's first year of eligibility at the hall. With the class that is coming in, I highly doubt he has any shot this year. Do you think he'll have a legit shot at making it?
if he wasnt hurt, i would say hed have a pretty decent shot. but despite the stanley cup, and his international play, i just dont think hes got a shot, especially w/ how horrible the rangers were during his final years.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 01:50 PM
John Flyers Fan

Personally I think he should come up a bit short, but I do think that he will eventually get in.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 04:07 PM
The Thomas J.*

301 wins a cup a silver metal & a Canada cup, he should make it, years from now

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 04:13 PM
nickrOck

regardless of how bad the ranger teams he played on where towards the end.. that cannot be a reflection on him.. he's the best american goalie as far as i know.. plus the level he played at in international competitions was unreal.. i think he should be alright in a few years..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 04:29 PM
eco's bones

Whether it's fair or not--the HOF committee is going to take a hard look at his non-playoff years. Out of 14 seasons--7 of them out of the playoffs if you include the last year in which he finished early. That's a tough one to overcome. 301 wins and 258 losses is not that stellar stat wise. I'm not arguing that I don't think he deserves it but IMO it's a bit of a longshot and is not going to happen for some time if it does at all. Leetch is a shoo-in though. And of course Messier and probably Lowe. Possibly Larmer--mostly for what he did with the Hawks--though he won with us.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 04:32 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrOck View Post
regardless of how bad the ranger teams he played on where towards the end.. that cannot be a reflection on him.. he's the best american goalie as far as i know.. plus the level he played at in international competitions was unreal.. i think he should be alright in a few years..
I forgot that part

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Whether it's fair or not--the HOF committee is going to take a hard look at his non-playoff years. Out of 14 seasons--7 of them out of the playoffs if you include the last year in which he finished early. That's a tough one to overcome. 301 wins and 258 losses is not that stellar stat wise. I'm not arguing that I don't think he deserves it but IMO it's a bit of a longshot and is not going to happen for some time if it does at all. Leetch is a shoo-in though. And of course Messier and probably Lowe. Possibly Larmer--mostly for what he did with the Hawks--though he won with us.
qft

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 05:31 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I dont think he will make it this year, but his chances are going to be greater in about 5 years. I personally liked the way he played and was a very good goalie for the rangers. I think by him being the only MVP goalie in an NHL All-Star Game, it should give him a little extra boost to finally make it.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

IMO he wont be in for a while, but I do think he will make it in.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I hope he makes it in one day. Great goalie and the best American goaltender to play in the NHL. And a good guy as well.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 08:12 PM
pld459666

I think that he falls short.

Never had 30 wins back to back.

A pretty high GAA at almost 2.90

Has never had a season in which he had dominant numbers in terms of GAA and Save Percentage.

Is a winner no doubt. Played his best hockey in some pretty big situations such as the 94 Cup run, the 2000 Olympics, the World Cup tourney that the US won in 1996 and the fact that he was such a dominant goalie in that tourney

a few reminders

http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyWorldCupGa...chterstop.html

http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyWorldCupGa...p12_score.html

http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyWorldCupGa...0_richter.html

http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyWorldCupGa...ichtermvp.html

http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyWorldCupGa...0_can_usa.html

BUT

I don't think that even with the total body of work he's gonna get to the promised land.

It's close, but I think he falls short

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 08:17 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Is a winner no doubt. Played his best hockey in some pretty big situations such as the 94 Cup run, the 2000 Olympics, the World Cup tourney that the US won in 1996 and the fact that he was such a dominant goalie in that tourney
BUT

I don't think that even with the total body of work he's gonna get to the promised land.

It's close, but I think he falls short

wowza

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 09:22 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post

wowza
I think that pic is when Gretzky tried to bank the puck off Mike...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Dr.Huxtable*

I think Richter was a very good goalie but not Hall of Fame material. I personally don't think he should be in because once goalies like Richter get in it opens a pandora's box. He might have been one of the greats if not for injury problems though.

As far as best US goalie, what about Barrasso? He also had a ton of injury problems but he has 2 Cups, a Vezina, a Calder, a Jennings. He's also the winningest U.S.-born goaltender in National Hockey League history (353 wins).

Dr.Huxtable* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Probably the most talented US goalie ever to come through the ranks, but injuries killed him at the end of his career, which will hold him back from making the hall.

He will be remembered for his key part on the Rangers best ever team (to date), 1993-1994. ANd that number in the rafters aint to shabby either.

Great goalie, but will place his name in the "hall of very good."

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 12:18 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable View Post
I think Richter was a very good goalie but not Hall of Fame material. I personally don't think he should be in because once goalies like Richter get in it opens a pandora's box. He might have been one of the greats if not for injury problems though.

As far as best US goalie, what about Barrasso? He also had a ton of injury problems but he has 2 Cups, a Vezina, a Calder, a Jennings. He's also the winningest U.S.-born goaltender in National Hockey League history (353 wins).
I think you're forgetting John Vanbiesbrouck and his 374 wins.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Dr.Huxtable*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck View Post
I think you're forgetting John Vanbiesbrouck and his 374 wins.
Sorry my mistake but Barrasso is better than Beezer and Richter

Old
05-20-2007, 01:20 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Sorry my mistake but Barrasso is better than Beezer and Richter
Barr******* isn't better than either. But I agree with your other points. Richter falls short.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 02:20 AM
Dr.Huxtable*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Barr******* isn't better than either. But I agree with your other points. Richter falls short.

Beezer 374 wins
Barrasso 369 wins
Richter 301 wins

What do 2 of those 3 have in common? Beezer, with all his regular season wins, never got any kind of championship. I'd rather Barrasso and Richter over Beezer.

Old
05-20-2007, 07:16 AM
eco's bones

Barrasso's cups come from being lucky enough to be on the best offensive team in the league. Barrasso was good--but he falls short IMO too. Richter does not have a long enough stretch of years where he was at or near the top of the goaltender world. It's the same with Graves. And it's not always fair. Clarke Gillies a player comparable to Graves (though a great great fighter) is in because he had the great good fortune to play many years for a great team that won several cups. Stats wise 700 points in 960 games is good but not HOF material. Compare him to Bernie Federko (played around the same timeframe)--over 1100 points in a thousand games--very good playoff numbers--nobody even remembers him--played for a mostly mediocre team. What can you do? This is part of Richter's legacy and why even though he was on top of the goaltending world for 3-4-5 seasons it's not going to be enough IMO. A goaltender no matter how good he is--if he doesn't have a great team behind him most of his career can just about forget it--because there will be other goaltenders who do.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Barrasso's cups come from being lucky enough to be on the best offensive team in the league. Barrasso was good--but he falls short IMO too. Richter does not have a long enough stretch of years where he was at or near the top of the goaltender world. It's the same with Graves. And it's not always fair. Clarke Gillies a player comparable to Graves (though a great great fighter) is in because he had the great good fortune to play many years for a great team that won several cups. Stats wise 700 points in 960 games is good but not HOF material. Compare him to Bernie Federko (played around the same timeframe)--over 1100 points in a thousand games--very good playoff numbers--nobody even remembers him--played for a mostly mediocre team. What can you do? This is part of Richter's legacy and why even though he was on top of the goaltending world for 3-4-5 seasons it's not going to be enough IMO. A goaltender no matter how good he is--if he doesn't have a great team behind him most of his career can just about forget it--because there will be other goaltenders who do.
Clark Gillies was a completely different player than Adam Graves was.

Gillies played on the Isles top like with Trottier and Bossy. His job was not to score (believe me, they had a lot of that on that line). He was the grinder of the line, the guy that protected Trots and Bossy.

I don't think Gillies should necessarily be in the HHOF, but he is probably one of the top 10 "grinders" of all time. Completely different from the Graves I remember.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 11:14 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Clark Gillies was a completely different player than Adam Graves was.

Gillies played on the Isles top like with Trottier and Bossy. His job was not to score (believe me, they had a lot of that on that line). He was the grinder of the line, the guy that protected Trots and Bossy.

I don't think Gillies should necessarily be in the HHOF, but he is probably one of the top 10 "grinders" of all time. Completely different from the Graves I remember.
well, the thought behind playing Graves with Messier was the same thought of playing Gillies with Trotts and Bossy, the secondary benefit from that placement was that Graves developed into a scoring threat but he wasn't projected to be that type of player.

just thought I'd throw that out there.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Dr.Huxtable*

Quote:
Barrasso's cups come from being lucky enough to be on the best offensive team in the league. Barrasso was good--but he falls short IMO too.
I don't care what team he played on Barrasso made clutch saves during those Cup runs and he won a Silver medal in the Olympics. He also was rookie of the year and a Vezina.

Barrasso gets be penalized for being a good offensive team, Brodeur gets penalized for being on a good defensive team, I guess you just can't win. Just so you know every goalie that has a Cup ring probably had a pretty good team in front of him. Barrasso was a tremendous goalie and if he played on the Rangers you guys would look at him different.

Old
05-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
I don't care what team he played on Barrasso made clutch saves during those Cup runs and he won a Silver medal in the Olympics. He also was rookie of the year and a Vezina.

Barrasso gets be penalized for being a good offensive team, Brodeur gets penalized for being on a good defensive team, I guess you just can't win. Just so you know every goalie that has a Cup ring probably had a pretty good team in front of him. Barrasso was a tremendous goalie and if he played on the Rangers you guys would look at him different.
I'm sorry, Barrasso was good, very good, but he was not better than either Beezer or Richter in their primes. Barrasso would never have dragged the Panthers to the Stanley Cup Finals.

As for clutch saves, you say Barrasso won a silver medal in the Olympics, indeed he did. Of course, Mike Richter was the starting goalie on that team...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote