HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Notes Per Chuck Gormley

Old
05-17-2007, 05:43 PM
flyersfan97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
We should take bets on who will be next year's "Peppermint Fatty."
C'mon, Valhoun, think positively: There will be no Peppermint Fatties on our team next year.

(That being said, I'm gonna put the early money on Niitty)

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
C'mon, Valhoun, think positively: There will be no Peppermint Fatties on our team next year.

(That being said, I'm gonna put the early money on Niitty)
he's like 150 lbs and a goalie... lil bit of bulk would do him good.

here's to hopin...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
It's just hard to accept that, statistically, someone is almost bound to drop off from even last year's levels.

Someone will. When is the last time an entire team, man for man, improved?

How many years can Knuble be a top-line player? He isn't a fountain of youth and, truth be told, on a lot of teams he isn't on the first line. He just plays so well with Gags.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
It's just hard to accept that, statistically, someone is almost bound to drop off from even last year's levels.

Someone will. When is the last time an entire team, man for man, improved?

How many years can Knuble be a top-line player? He isn't a fountain of youth and, truth be told, on a lot of teams he isn't on the first line. He just plays so well with Gags.
when you're worst in the league... there's nowhere to go but up

Old
05-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
when you're worst in the league... there's nowhere to go but up
True, but for some reason I can see both Affy and Umberger be fairly invisible next season. They just don't seem to "fit" anywhere and even if they both play with stable linemates I'm not sure if either will live up to their potential.

Old
05-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Jester

Quote:
True, but for some reason I can see both Affy and Umberger be fairly invisible next season. They just don't seem to "fit" anywhere and even if they both play with stable linemates I'm not sure if either will live up to their potential.
Affy's potential is crap... last year was a CAREER YEAR for him.... i would expect less than that.

Umberger has pretty good potential in the right role... i agree that he doesn't necessarily "fit" and it will be interesting where he ends up. He has traid bait for the right deal written all over him.

Old
05-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Valhoun*

Umberger needs to be on a team that rolls 3 or 4 scoring lines. If his line is consistent and bred for scoring then he'll be fine. But you can't stick him on the 3rd or 4th line of the Flyers and expect for him to live up to his potential. Trade him for a team that will let him thrive. Right now he could turn out to be a solid second line player or, well, Affy.

Old
05-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Umberger needs to be on a team that rolls 3 or 4 scoring lines. If his line is consistent and bred for scoring then he'll be fine. But you can't stick him on the 3rd or 4th line of the Flyers and expect for him to live up to his potential. Trade him for a team that will let him thrive. Right now he could turn out to be a solid second line player or, well, Affy.
he's already a vastly better offensive player than Affy as far as production goes... if you stuck him on the third line for the entire year with Richards, he'd hit 20+ goals... which i'd be happy with. however, just given everything else asset-wise around this team, it might make sense to use Umberger to get a different piece.

Old
05-17-2007, 08:28 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Eager isn't ready to play on the 3rd line... at least to be counted on for it. Down the road, I think he has a chance, but you'd need a more dynamic (maybe Downie) guy on the other wing. However, next year Eager needs to prove he can stay out of the box for a 10 minutes stretch... earn some, and be available for more time... i would also like to see him get some PP time in front of the net.
This is where you and I are going to differ. I think now is the time to put Eager on the third line. He's shown the coaching staff that he's tough and all that. Now it's time to start grooming him for a different role and to start using some of the skill he has. Liken it to a young Rick Tocchet so to speak. Everyone knew that Tocchet could fight, but when he was challenged to start playing better hockey and to start playing responsible, smart and physical hockey, he responded. Now's the time to do the same with Eager. It's time for Big Ben to start using that speed of his and create open lanes for Richards and Downie/Umberger/whoever plays the right wing on the third line. Now's the time for him to start crashing the net with reckless abandon and to start hammering defensemen the moment they touch the puck.

I think part of the reason Ben was stuck with all the penalties was because of the role he was used in Philadelphia. I think Ben can be a very effective third line and chip in with 15 to 20 goals if Stevens and company use him in the right role. You'd figure that Tocchet would be the model they would use when developing Eager, but it looks like they're using Berube, which is a complete waste of Ben's talents.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This is where you and I are going to differ. I think now is the time to put Eager on the third line. He's shown the coaching staff that he's tough and all that. Now it's time to start grooming him for a different role and to start using some of the skill he has. Liken it to a young Rick Tocchet so to speak. Everyone knew that Tocchet could fight, but when he was challenged to start playing better hockey and to start playing responsible, smart and physical hockey, he responded. Now's the time to do the same with Eager. It's time for Big Ben to start using that speed of his and create open lanes for Richards and Downie/Umberger/whoever plays the right wing on the third line. Now's the time for him to start crashing the net with reckless abandon and to start hammering defensemen the moment they touch the puck.

I think part of the reason Ben was stuck with all the penalties was because of the role he was used in Philadelphia. I think Ben can be a very effective third line and chip in with 15 to 20 goals if Stevens and company use him in the right role. You'd figure that Tocchet would be the model they would use when developing Eager, but it looks like they're using Berube, which is a complete waste of Ben's talents.
I agree that his role was part of the reason, but it wasn't the entire reason. Eager has that switch where he goes just complete over to goon with a real quickness. I want them to sign a true goon for the RW on the 4th line and TELL Eager to stay out of the box, play hockey... and get some minutes on the PP. He needs to develop his hands a ton still before he's going to be a 15-20 guy, but I agree that he has Chris Neil potential as far as contributing.

I just am not willing to go into next year thinking that Eager is the 3rd line LW... I think it's asking too much of him and there are other people who can play that role right now. I do want him to be pushed to be more of a "hockey player" and less of a "goon," because I agree he has it in him.

However, he needs to work on his hands a lot... needs to get better at getting to the garbage area in front of the net and all that. Over the course of the year he will certainly get his chances higher up in the lineup... hell, he played with Carter last year towards the end of the season. I just wouldn't ask that much of him just yet... especially when we have guys like Umberger who has 2nd line offensive potential looking for ice.

There might be some comparisons to Tocchet, but Eager doesn't have hands anywhere near that level... his highest production in the OHL was only 52 pts. He's got an alright shot, but the hope is to get him to a point where he can avg. 15'ish a year and provide his physical team play... I love the kid, even if he doesn't develop he's going to be a GREAT 4th line player for this club, but there's a better player in there, he just needs to reach down mentally and help bring him out.

Old
05-19-2007, 04:22 PM
lancer247

Quote:
I agree that his role was part of the reason, but it wasn't the entire reason. Eager has that switch where he goes just complete over to goon with a real quickness. I want them to sign a true goon for the RW on the 4th line and TELL Eager to stay out of the box, play hockey... and get some minutes on the PP. He needs to develop his hands a ton still before he's going to be a 15-20 guy, but I agree that he has Chris Neil potential as far as contributing.

I just am not willing to go into next year thinking that Eager is the 3rd line LW... I think it's asking too much of him and there are other people who can play that role right now. I do want him to be pushed to be more of a "hockey player" and less of a "goon," because I agree he has it in him.

However, he needs to work on his hands a lot... needs to get better at getting to the garbage area in front of the net and all that. Over the course of the year he will certainly get his chances higher up in the lineup... hell, he played with Carter last year towards the end of the season. I just wouldn't ask that much of him just yet... especially when we have guys like Umberger who has 2nd line offensive potential looking for ice.

There might be some comparisons to Tocchet, but Eager doesn't have hands anywhere near that level... his highest production in the OHL was only 52 pts. He's got an alright shot, but the hope is to get him to a point where he can avg. 15'ish a year and provide his physical team play... I love the kid, even if he doesn't develop he's going to be a GREAT 4th line player for this club, but there's a better player in there, he just needs to reach down mentally and help bring him out.
i agree with you about eager...i have been beating the drum for the flyers to get a true enforcer...the only way eager's game will get a chance to develop...otherwise, he will be forced into the same role he had last year...i thiniknthe same goes for donlywney if he gets called up...these guys need to be able to run around...

i think eager can be a better neil...the F/A enforcer i see is scott parker...i a not his biggest fan but there aren't any others out there...i am not a fan of giving that role to cote or triston grant

i think eager can match up on the 3rd line depending on the others top line...
sabres top line too slick...small quick guys not a good match
top lines like leafs, ducks, & sharks are bigger power forward types that he can match up better with (pontakorowski, penner, getzlaff, sundin)...

honestly, one of the reasons i have been turning towards signing gomez is because a top line of gomez, gags and knuble would be sound defensively...that may be our best match up on other teams top lines until our third line gets stronger (richards, downey, eager)

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosselli View Post
i agree with you about eager...i have been beating the drum for the flyers to get a true enforcer...the only way eager's game will get a chance to develop...otherwise, he will be forced into the same role he had last year...i thiniknthe same goes for donlywney if he gets called up...these guys need to be able to run around...

i think eager can be a better neil...the F/A enforcer i see is scott parker...i a not his biggest fan but there aren't any others out there...i am not a fan of giving that role to cote or triston grant

i think eager can match up on the 3rd line depending on the others top line...
sabres top line too slick...small quick guys not a good match
top lines like leafs, ducks, & sharks are bigger power forward types that he can match up better with (pontakorowski, penner, getzlaff, sundin)...

honestly, one of the reasons i have been turning towards signing gomez is because a top line of gomez, gags and knuble would be sound defensively...that may be our best match up on other teams top lines until our third line gets stronger (richards, downey, eager)
i'm not sure Eager is going to be better than Neil, but he can be at that level.

Gomez doesn't play much defense.

Old
05-19-2007, 10:21 PM
King Fish

I am hoping Eager can play third line with Richards this season. I agree that Umberger needs to be moved, he's not suited for the third line and does not have the skill to be a top 6 player. If he could only finish, he's got good size and speed but does not use either effectively.

-Wishing for B.Richards!-

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 11:14 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post
I am hoping Eager can play third line with Richards this season. I agree that Umberger needs to be moved, he's not suited for the third line and does not have the skill to be a top 6 player. If he could only finish, he's got good size and speed but does not use either effectively.

You don't think that Richards is overpaid?

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
Not after the contracts Briere, Gomez, and Drury will get this offseason.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
Not after the contracts Briere, Gomez, and Drury will get this offseason.
He got overpaid by about a million... the way things are going, however, his contract won't be that absurd. That being said, if you really don't think you can deal with a player as good as Richards getting an extra M a year... I don't know what to tell you.

Old
05-20-2007, 01:27 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish View Post

Isn't that about all Umberger does? I'm open to moving him as well, but I'm not sure if we're watching the same player here.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Isn't that about all Umberger does? I'm open to moving him as well, but I'm not sure if we're watching the same player here.
20 goals as a rookie, and 3rd on the team in goals last year... Umberger has shown the ability to find the back of the net. If they left him on one of the top 3 lines and gave him ANY PP time, he would easily have gotten 20 last year, too.

Old
05-20-2007, 02:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
20 goals as a rookie, and 3rd on the team in goals last year... Umberger has shown the ability to find the back of the net. If they left him on one of the top 3 lines and gave him ANY PP time, he would easily have gotten 20 last year, too.
yup, I really believe he was misused last year and was totally unhappy with his role. people got on him allot last year, but look how they used him. I dont blame the guy for being unhappy.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
yup, I really believe he was misused last year and was totally unhappy with his role. people got on him allot last year, but look how they used him. I dont blame the guy for being unhappy.
it was bizarre, and it was one of Stevens' many coaching failures. they gave him no defined role, had him playing every forward position (on every line), etc.

the guy was our ONLY young player doing anything the first half of the season and they screw with him the entire 2nd half.