HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

San Jose/Pittsburgh Proposal

Old
05-19-2007, 02:19 PM
davemess

vCash: 500
Quote:
Souray, Rafalski, Timmonen, Markov, and Schneider
With all the fuss people are making about Gonchars contract what it will cost to pick up those guys from the UFA market?

Its tricky to judge based on last years numbers since no major Offensive Dmen hit the market last summer.

None of those guys Chara at $7.5 Mill but i would guess most are more than say McKee at $4 Mill.

Gonchars deal is only 5.6 Mill per year for 3 years........ its not as horrible as people would have you believe.

davemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Well, with Bell (off-year?), Michalek, Clowe, Bernier, and Cheechoo as potential top 6 wingers, and Pavelski not likely to crack a top 2 center spot but still earning top 6 duty, and Setoguchi on his way up, I'd say that San Jose is pretty well set on the flanks, though that may just be a relative thing compared to my Pens.

The Sharks seem, at least to me, in as good a shape as any team in the league in the wing department.
clowe and bernier have been playing on the 4th line. i think it would be in the sharks best interest if setoguchi started off in the AHL.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1rezniy View Post
Pittsburgh already traded for two San Jose prospects in goal this year.
those are depth players, by goaltending surplus, i'm referring to toskala and nabokov

Old
05-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
clowe and bernier have been playing on the 4th line. i think it would be in the sharks best interest if setoguchi started off in the AHL.
Cool. We'll take one of those 4th liners or the AHLer off your hands.

Warm Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Cool. We'll take one of those 4th liners or the AHLer off your hands.
sure, if the sharks can take that junior kid letang off of your hands

Old
05-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
sure, if the sharks can take that junior kid letang off of your hands
Nah, I'm not too keen to deal a 20 year old who's won consecutive WJC golds - captaining the last one and being elected to the all-tourney team, and won the Q's best defenseman and best defensive-defensemen awards. Too much to give, even for nice players like Bernier or Clowe.

But Goligoski, arguably the best pp quarterback in the NCAA, might be worth your consideration.

Old
05-19-2007, 03:31 PM
LosT_PropheT

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1rezniy View Post
I do expect Whitney to replace Gonchar as the pp qb and put up 70pts.

I love the Pens, but that's just plain crazy. At least next year..

LosT_PropheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Sinistrophobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosT_PropheT View Post

I love the Pens, but that's just plain crazy. At least next year..
He put up 59 points this year, why is 70 so far fetched?

Sinistrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
LMAO at the proposl by Cors. That has to be one of the worst I have ever seen. As for the Cheechoo and Gonchar thing, its intriguing but San Jose can go out and get a defensman of similar offensive skills but who also plays defense without giving up a guy who is signed to a fantastic deal.

Gonchar is average defensively. But he is the best offensive defenseman in the last decade plus. And remains near the top. You are not going to find one with anything close to similar offensive skills, and plays great defense to boot, for nothing. He is a relative bargain at a cap hit of only $5 mil. if I am remembering, which is the important number. Just because the Pens have a wealth of potential talent in that area, Whitney may be the next great offensive defenseman, Letang could be up there too, and Goligeski is there if either slips. But just because we have that talent in the wings does not mean that players like that are common. I said that SJ would never take that intial deal the third post into this thread, but saying that, if we were to shop Gonchar we would get a nice return for him.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Russian_rocket96

http://nhlgmgame.forum5.com/index.php

if u like making trades, join this game, very fun.

Russian_rocket96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Cors

Send a message via ICQ to Cors
Cheechoo for Gonchar

Done.

IMXO Gonchar will underrated here (HF) (?)

Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post

Gonchar is average defensively. But he is the best offensive defenseman in the last decade plus. And remains near the top. You are not going to find one with anything close to similar offensive skills, and plays great defense to boot, for nothing. He is a relative bargain at a cap hit of only $5 mil. if I am remembering, which is the important number. Just because the Pens have a wealth of potential talent in that area, Whitney may be the next great offensive defenseman, Letang could be up there too, and Goligeski is there if either slips. But just because we have that talent in the wings does not mean that players like that are common. I said that SJ would never take that intial deal the third post into this thread, but saying that, if we were to shop Gonchar we would get a nice return for him.
I'm not saying Gonchar won't fetch a nice return. He is arguably the best offensive defenseman and powerplay quarterback defenseman in the league outside Nick Lidstrom, but the only time he is average defensively is when he's at his best. San Jose doesn't need any more players who tend to play unmotivated and lazy, like Gonchar does at stretches.

In any case, Gonchar for a 27 year old winger with 92 goals in his last two seasons who is making $2.5M for the next four years is just not a good deal for the Sharks.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
I'm not saying Gonchar won't fetch a nice return. He is arguably the best offensive defenseman and powerplay quarterback defenseman in the league outside Nick Lidstrom, but the only time he is average defensively is when he's at his best. San Jose doesn't need any more players who tend to play unmotivated and lazy, like Gonchar does at stretches.

In any case, Gonchar for a 27 year old winger with 92 goals in his last two seasons who is making $2.5M for the next four years is just not a good deal for the Sharks.
I took no issue with nixing the trade, I actually did it first in this thread. I only took issue with the assertion that someone who is as good offensively and better defensively would be easy to find, and at no asset cost at all to boot.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 06:07 PM
The Old Master

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cors View Post
Cheechoo for Gonchar

Done.

IMXO Gonchar will underrated here (HF) (?)
both teams will have to give to get.....i lke the trade but i think the pens would have to add a pick [3-rounder]

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 07:07 PM
ThemooseGrazier

possibly the worst trade proposal ive heard in a while But maybe if you switched Gonchor for Christensson it maybe better event hough pittsburg needs vetran defenseman

ThemooseGrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemooseGrazier View Post
possibly the worst trade proposal ive heard in a while But maybe if you switched Gonchor for Christensson it maybe better event hough pittsburg needs vetran defenseman
Attention-starved, are we?

Old
05-19-2007, 08:07 PM
kyle3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemooseGrazier View Post
Did you mean to say replace Ouellet with Christensen?

kyle3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2007, 11:39 PM
ilovehockey

Why would Pittsburgh want to get rid of Gonchar, he is great on the PP, something the Penguins get alot of opportunites on. Not to mention if Gonchar goes what would happen to Malkin. He proboly wouldn't be to comfortable without him around. Gonchar I believe just played to many minutes last year. He was always on the ice for all 2 miutes of the powerplay, which proboly slowed him down.

ilovehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 06:44 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
both teams will have to give to get.....i lke the trade but i think the pens would have to add a pick [3-rounder]
The Pens would have to add a lot more than a third rounder, and that's why they would never do it.

The Sharks wouldn't trade their top-winger who is signed longterm to a cheap contract unless they absolutely have to, and a 5+ million dollar defenseman is definately not someone they have to trade Cheechoo for. What good is it to bring in a pp-quarterback, if it costs you your best goalscorer and 3 million of cap-space?

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 10:11 AM
SomeDude

I don't know why so many Pens fans are interested in moving Gonchar.
#1. He's not going anywhere until Malkin learns English...which could never happen at the rate he's going.
#2. Looking at what other D-men got last year, his contract is incredibly reasonable.
#3. Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi played the point on our 2nd PP unit for the majority of the year. It wouldn't hurt the Pens to pick up another puck moving d-man...not trade one away. If you think Letang is going to step in and make up for Gonchar's 70 pts then you are dreaming.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
#1. He's not going anywhere until Malkin learns English...which could never happen at the rate he's going.
#2. Looking at what other D-men got last year, his contract is incredibly reasonable.
#3. Brooks Orpik and Rob Scuderi played the point on our 2nd PP unit for the majority of the year. It wouldn't hurt the Pens to pick up another puck moving d-man...not trade one away. If you think Letang is going to step in and make up for Gonchar's 70 pts then you are dreaming.
This pretty much sums up how I feel, I think it's mostly a reactionary thing that will die down in time.

Last edited by Zen Arcade: 05-20-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 03:52 PM
The Old Master

vCash: 50
Quote:
you need to give to get[if you've noticed most trades on these boards are very lopsided favoring the home team so they would never be made]
1. getting him away from gonchar would speed up his learing english
2. reasonable contract....makes him more tradeable
3.letang will help some and we could still pick up a lesser de-man that plays dee.

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 04:19 PM
5H4RK5

Mega counter proposal, Malkin and Staal for Bell and a 4th rounder.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
The 'what have you done for me lately' syndrome. Admittedly he tanked in the playoffs, but it doesn't negate what he did in the regular season. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Gonchar if we got the right return for him, but at this point, we've got arguably the best PP QB in the league signed to a contract that is looking like a real bargain. Souray will likely get quite a bit more than we're paying Gonchar and he's not as good offensively and much worse defensively.

Gonchar is doing exactly what he's paid to do - putting up lots of points without being completely inept in his own end. Unless someone is really going to overpay for him, which seems unlikely, we're better off keeping him for at least one more year and trying to pick up a defensive d-man through free agency.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 05:41 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
you need to give to get[if you've noticed most trades on these boards are very lopsided favoring the home team so they would never be made]
1. getting him away from gonchar would speed up his learing english
2. reasonable contract....makes him more tradeable
3.letang will help some and we could still pick up a lesser de-man that plays dee.

-Malkin also lives with Gonchar and I don't think he'd be very happy if his buddy got shipped off.
-The reasonable contract is all the more reason to keep him.
-Like I said Letang is not going to even come close to matching Gonchar's numbers, and even if he did we still have 2 offensively-******** defenseman on the 2nd unit. Outside of Gonchar and Whitney, we have 0 offense from our D-men. They might have gotten 10 points combined...and I'm not even sure of that.

Unless we got offered something ridiculous, Gonchar will be here for the remainder of his contract.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote