HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Getzlaf was next on Habs' list...

Old
05-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Erik Estrada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I still think Kostitsyn could turn to be the best of them... He is not only highly skilled but the kid can hit, protect the puck and play a N.A style of game..

He lost 1 year of development in Russia where he basically didnt play and his epilepsic probs could have hurt his development as well..

Next season should be more revelant but never forget that both Getzlaf and Parise have solid vets to play with, what cant be said about Habs prospects at this point..
I find A Kost brings more to the table than Getzlaf in terms of traditional hockey skills: speed, shot, passing... But Getzlaf puts everything together better right now. He plays a more well rounded game. Plus his size is a huge asset.

Ryder and Getzlaf both had 58 pts this season. Ryder scored more often. And we can also see the amount of (justified) ice time he gets from Carlyle. What intrigues me about Getzlaf is how much more production they can get out of him... He never had record-breaking scoring in the minors like a Parise had. And his point differential between the minors and the NHL is getting very thin.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 05-15-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
So was Kostitsyn in his last call up, he was our most dominant foward before his groin injury..
And so would Getzlaf if he were here. Andrei is fantastic in his own right, but can you realistically project him to be one of the leading point getters in the league? A lot of teammates are saying that of Getzlaf.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 08:06 PM
brownman*

Not sure if it's been said, but how well would Kosti being doing right now on that Ducks team, playing with guys like Perry and on the PP with Pronger, Niedermayer and Selanne? Probably pretty well...

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 08:53 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
And so would Getzlaf if he were here. Andrei is fantastic in his own right, but can you realistically project him to be one of the leading point getters in the league? A lot of teammates are saying that of Getzlaf.
Depending who his linemates are gonna be and the way Carbo will use him on PP, yes I think Kostitsyn could be one of the best pts producers in this league (top 25) at some point.. Let just suppose Gainey sign a #1 center like Briere this summer, that Carbo put Kostitsyn on his line and keep the same line on the PP, then everything is possible regarding offensive production.. The kid was on a 5 or 6 games streak just after his last called up where he got at least 1 pt, all coming even stregth.. He was dangerous offensively almost every shifts..

But the kids cant do all alone and tend to follow the vets.. So if nothing change, if Kovy keeps being lazzy and play disgusting hockey, if Koivu desapears like he did in the second half, if Gainey cant sign any impact FA, dont expect a kid like Kostitsyn to breakout next season.. it still could happen like it happened with Higgins and Plekanec last season but we would increase our chances to get the best out of our kids a big deal if the vets push them at the level they are supposed to be.. Last season it was the opposite and this is not supposed to work this way... Carbo will have to work from day 1 of the training camp to change the mentallity of this team, he will have to put everyone on the same line to impose his authority, his system and work ethic habits.. Kovalev should prepare himself to face one of his toughest training camp for a long time cause this time it will be tolerence 0...

If the mentallity of this team change, anything is possible, even seeing our most skilled prospect among the best pts producers of this league (a bit like Vanek did for the Sabres this year) but will it change??? That is the question.. As long as Kovy is around, Im not that much optimist..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Maxpac

At the risk of saying it again and again and again. Kosty lost 2 years of devolopment compared to Getzlaf. He lost 1 year by staying in Russia and the 2nd one by going to the AHL instead of the OHL. Kosty played in the AHL as the youngest player in the hole league his 1st year and it was a terrible mistake, instead of learning the NA on a smaller level where he would of owned the game and step in with much more confidence he played 4th line duties in a league he wasn't ready to play in. Kosty has evreything to be a star, he has speed, hands, balance,shot, hearth,physical strengh,vision... He just needs to put it together, at 19 years old in the AHL the pace was too fast for him to learn, how surprising is it that in his final WJC he was one or maybe the top forward of the tournament? Especially that the 2nd best player in the Belarussian team was his 17 year old brother. We have to be patient for what the Habs management coudn't figure out. Let's have this thread in 2 or 3 years when we finally see the real Kosty

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 09:14 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
What's with the nothing wrong with his statement.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
He's a speedy six foot three forward who is incredibly smart, and has a sick wrist shot. He can also suprise you by throwing a heavy hit.Carter had a bad streak of luck the last couple of years that slowed his development. Before Carter even stepped into the NHL, he came down with a serious case of mono that cost him a ton of muscle. Once the season started, he was a step behind where he should have been in terms of physical development. This year, he broke his leg just a month into the season. It sidelined him for twenty games and put him back another step.Not right now. He's too inconsistent because of all the setbacks. If he has a freak injury/illness free season, next year, Carter will do what Parise and Getzlaf did this year.
Ahh, thanks for the clarification man. Cheers.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

For all the Urquhart comments, he could still make the NHL. He'll never be a great, great player like Beregeon and company, but he's been improving each and every year.

He finally got the call to the AHL this year, and STUCK. He played very well (21 PTS in 40 GP or something).. He's been good, and maybe with a full season in the AHL, he can hit around 50-60 PTS.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Getzlaf was next on Habs' list...

He's just one of the many players we didnt draft but we also didnt draft Anze Kopitar, Denis Savard and Marian Hossa just to name a few.

This post is all about 20/20 hindsight, you know, "could have, should have , would have..." etc

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2007, 11:45 PM
habsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Not sure if it's been said, but how well would Kosti being doing right now on that Ducks team, playing with guys like Perry and on the PP with Pronger, Niedermayer and Selanne? Probably pretty well...
totally agree!

habsfan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 12:50 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

I'm just trying to picture Getzlaf, a 2nd line centre right now, having to play with Kovalev and Samsonov...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Good point, but...

If you put Andrei on the PP (regular basis) with Koivu, Ryder, Higgins, Kovalev, Markov, Souray, etc... there will be a huge payoff, as well.
----------------------- ------------------------------ -----------------------

About Getzlaf, Parise (my personal choice before the Draft, I swear!), Carter...

Look at it like this...
In the near future, the HABS could be way better off with
Andrei + Sergei Kostitsyn than with 1 of Parise, Getzlaf, or Carter...(& I'm a huuuge Parise fan).
(without Andrei, I doubt we would have chosen Sergei, etc...).

Someone else made a positive thread about this...kudos to him

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 01:47 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I'm just trying to picture Getzlaf, a 2nd line centre right now, having to play with Kovalev and Samsonov...

Maybe it would have been...:

Higgins-Getzlaf-Ryder

Anyways...no use now!
Look at it like this: we have Andrei AND Sergei Kostitsyn
(2 instead of 1).

I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of Zach Parise, but Andrei AND Sergei...I think I'd hold on to our 2 Kostitsyn brothers rather than trade 'em for Parise...(I'm pretty sure of it!).

Old
05-16-2007, 02:30 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Interesting article in La Presse on the 2003 draft...

They basically say that if Kostitsyn hadn't been available, the Habs would've drafted Getzlaf. Parise was next and Savard was also high on Jeff Carter.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS
it was hard to go wrong in the first round of the 03 draft. That was an incredible year in terms of top end talent. Very few teams messed up in the first round that year.

I dont know how long we'll have to wait to see a draft year like that again.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
it was hard to go wrong in the first round of the 03 draft. That was an incredible year in terms of top end talent. Very few teams messed up in the first round that year.

I dont know how long we'll have to wait to see a draft year like that again.

2005 was a pretty darn good one, too...

Darn good for the HABS, as well (Price, Latendresse, Sergei Kostitsyn...some teams wait 3-4 Drafts or more before drafting players with the high potential mentioned above...).

Old
05-20-2007, 07:09 PM
jordy

Ohhh wow. I would die to see Getzlaf, Parise or Carter in a habs sweater. Instead we got Kostitsyn who I think will be a bust ala Perezhogin

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 07:32 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
What's with the nothing wrong with his statement.
im sure we heard a lot of those statement in 1980...im happy with wickenheiser..bla bla bla

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
2005 was a pretty darn good one, too...

Darn good for the HABS, as well (Price, Latendresse, Sergei Kostitsyn...some teams wait 3-4 Drafts or more before drafting players with the high potential mentioned above...).
You forgot D'Agostini

Aubin and Mikus aren't slouches either. My favourite draft of my lifetime by far.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 07:44 PM
habs91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
Ohhh wow. I would die to see Getzlaf, Parise or Carter in a habs sweater. Instead we got Kostitsyn who I think will be a bust ala Perezhogin
Why do you say that?

habs91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Greatguru

People looks to call prospect easily... Cuz that guy made more poins than that guy he's a bust Cmon how can u call a guy a bust when he had this season a ppg of 0,50, who made some wicked plays and who was part of the best line of our team in the end of the season..? I can't get it. The guy at this time hasn't put up numbers like Getzlaf or Parise but we can see much difference beetween those guyz. Getzlaf and Parise both played 2 Nhl seasons while A.Kost played a handful of games, A Kost is an european wich means more time to adapt (Afinogenov for exemple took 8 years before putting up huge numbers and now everyone call him a star when 3 years ago he was just an habitual european with no hart that score 30 pts a year like Jan Bulis). Parise played 17 min per game , Getzlaf 16 while Kostsystin 13 and we all agree that P and G were surronded with better player.

Everyone here seems to like making projections so i'll make some to. Getzlaf this year had 58 pts, Parise 62 pts. Kostsystin 11 pts in 22 games for a ppg of 0,50. So if he played 82 games with the 13 min per game he has now and with the same players he would have 41 pts in his first full Nhl Season. Better than Parise and not so far of Getzlaf. Just imagine what the 41 number would be with the playing time of Getzlaf and Parise and the same players... What I just said has the same value of saying that next year Getzlaf will get 90 pts and that A.Kost is a bust.

Stop whinning and being too fast to judge. God**** next year will be his first NHl Season...

Greatguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Watching today's Anaheim game, Getzlaf just reminds me of a slower but bigger Christopher Higgins.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote