HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Possible Lines...

Old
05-21-2007, 09:36 AM
RFAN

vCash: 500
I'm kinda surprised that everyone is content with going into next season with essentially the same team. I'm not sure if adding a rookie here and there, although worthwhile if they are ready, is really going to take us to the next level. Or are some here so content on rebuilding that you don't care where we finish next year?

Please read before flaming as no where above am I saying trade every young guy away for a run at the Cup!

Flame on

Last edited by RFAN: 05-21-2007 at 12:32 PM.
RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 12:02 PM
ebn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Just wondering what everyone thought the lines would look like next year. There are obviously dependent on who we re-sign but everyone can make their own judgments. I'm new here so you'll have to excuse me if someone else has done this already.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Drury-Shanahan
Callahan-Cullen-Prucha
Hossa-Betts-Orr

I know nobody likes that possible 4th line but seeing as how 2 of them are signed already, they're going to get a chance to lose the job. I'm also obviously stating that we should re-sign both Nyls and Shanny and go out and get Drury. His intangibles and leadership would help this team find the direction that we lost at times last year. Again, just a thought. I may change my mind later in the thread.
Perfect. If we get this it will be the perfesct line up. I also hope Staal makes it with Mara.

Malick Rozsival
Mara Staal
Tjutin Girardi

ebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN View Post
I'm kinda surprised that everyone is content with going into next season with essentially the same team. I'm not sure if adding a rookie here and there, although worthwhile if they are ready, is really going to take us to the next level. Or are some here so content on rebuilding that you don't care where we finish next year?

Please read before flaming as no where above am I saying trade every young guy away for a run at the Cup!

Flame on
its 2-fold.

1)the free agent class that is available is simply awful. there is really no elite talent out there, with Gomez probably being the best of the bunch. these guys are going to be severly overpaid, so its not worth going after them.

2)the team last year was one of the most dominating teams in the NHL after they "got it". they lost what...3 one goal games against the Sabres? Not to mention their poor seeding. A full season playing the way they did would get you home ice, and get your better draws in the playoffs. we werent that far off. imho, this offseason either sign Forsberg, or lay off (unless you can get Lecavalier or Horton).

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 01:03 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
Everyone seems to think that Staal is ready to make the jump to the NHL. Where I am not arguing based on his performance in the minors are we all just ready to let Rack leave? I don't think he played horribly for us.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Everyone seems to think that Staal is ready to make the jump to the NHL. Where I am not arguing based on his performance in the minors are we all just ready to let Rack leave? I don't think he played horribly for us.
he was ok. but hes not the future of this team.

Old
05-21-2007, 03:04 PM
NYROrtsFan

Rach has legit flaws to his game. Nice shot, and can occasionally look like an extremely competent offensive defenseman. But that is it.

Plus, looking at his history, he does seem to not manage to play a full season either. That is another reason to want him out.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 04:37 PM
bogans

Here is what I would LIKE to see:

1. Hossa-Nyls-Jags - I think Hossa needs a shot up there, he's got some good hands and legs and worked well on this line. Giving him significant time up there can hlep to reach that next level which he is not at yet

2. Straka-Dubi-Shanny - I would love to see this line, give Dubi a shot at second line minutes. You have speed, defensive acumen, finishing and size all on one line there. Rather than signing one of the overpriced free agent centers on the market, why not give Dubi a chance to succeed in the role we see him fitting with two captains on his wings who can really help teach the kid to make other people better, you know Shanny and Straks would tell him where to put it.

3. Pruchs-Cullen-Cally - speed, speed, speed. Lets see anybody keep up with this line. I think Callahan and Prucha definitely need players similar to themselves and this line is dangerous for a third line in the new NHL. Lets see how they produce together for a while.

4. Avery-Betts-Dawes - This line would get under anybody's skin, and I know all of you talk about how Avery is a skilled agitator. As far as I am concerned an agitator belongs on the fourth line, but being skilled makes this a GREAT fourth line. With Avery down there and Betts winning faceoffs, I would not feel uncomfortable about putting the fourth line out on any occasion. You wanna roll four tough lines?? This is the way to do it.

Defense

Malik - Roszy
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Mara

Whoever says this is three #2 D pairings was exactly correct. All of the above a second D-man pairings. We have so much depth in our system, that to buy a top D-man would be ridiculous. Hopefully Staal and Sauer should be our top D pairing for years to come, but we have to wait and being able to roll three pairings at pretty much the same level is a great way to do that. I say we stick with what we got back there and replace Rach with Staal, plain and simple.

Goalies

Henke
Monty

We need to get Monty some NHL experience and see how he responds. Especially if we are going to try and trade him at the deadline or in the offseason next year. I want to see Monty in 20 - 30 games in the NHL this season. Vally and Holt can handle the duties in Hartford next season.

Power Play

1. Pru,Nyls,Jags,Roszy and Straka
2. Shanny, Dubi, Cally, Mara/Staal and Cullen

Penalty Kill

1. Avery, Hossa, Tyutin, Girardi
2. Dubi, Betts, Staal, Mara

IMO, lets build from within. We have all of this depth in our system for a reason, lets use it already. I do not want to see the Rangers buy any high price players off the free agent market outside of Shanny and Nyls. I don't think there is a need for it. We have guys being groomed for each of the spots we need to fill and should get them in there while there are talented/hard-working vets to teach them the ropes. If we need to add pieces to become a legit contender at the deadline there are ALWAYS opportunities there, but the free agent market does not impress me enough to justify paying top dollar this offseason. Plus, what the heck is the use of the deepest pool of prospects if we are not giving them a chance to succeed in their future roles.

Let guys like Bourret, Korpedo, Sauer, Baranka and others keep developing in Hartford and prove they are ready, but give some of the guys we think are ready a shot with the big club.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 12:34 AM
mti79

What would people think about making a play for Zach Parise? He's young, fast and seems to have a knack for scoring some big goals. He's restricted but the Devs may not be able to match an offer that may be a little overpriced... say 1.5 or so. They are up against the cap and have Gomez and Rafalski to worry about along with Oduya who for some reason they like. Any chance of him fitting in anywhere for us?

Old
05-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
What would people think about making a play for Zach Parise? He's young, fast and seems to have a knack for scoring some big goals. He's restricted but the Devs may not be able to match an offer that may be a little overpriced... say 1.5 or so. They are up against the cap and have Gomez and Rafalski to worry about along with Oduya who for some reason they like. Any chance of him fitting in anywhere for us?
what is that....2 first rounders...3?

no thanks.

i hate offersheets. just hate hate hate hate HATE em. RFA should just be removed from the CBA, its a complete waste of time.

Old
05-22-2007, 01:06 AM
mti79

As found in thread http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=376887
"$660 or below - no compensation required
$660-1million - 3rd round pick
$1million-2million - 2nd round pick
$2million-3million - 1st round pick + 3rd round pick
$3million-4million - 1st round pick + 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick
$4million-5million - 2 1st round picks + second round pick + third round pick
over $5million - 4 first rounders

note: the dollar amount in the above scale will be adjusted in accordance with the league average salary. For example, if the average league salary increases by 10% on june 30th, 2007 then each of the dollar amounts for the above scale will increase 10% on june 30th, 2007 (found on pg 38 of the new CBA)"

Not sure if that's accurate or not but that says it would be a 2nd round pick unless we pay over $2 Mill.... that may be worth it despite your hating offer sheets.

Old
05-22-2007, 01:13 AM
mti79

according to http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=376887
"$660 or below - no compensation required
$660-1million - 3rd round pick
$1million-2million - 2nd round pick
$2million-3million - 1st round pick + 3rd round pick
$3million-4million - 1st round pick + 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick
$4million-5million - 2 1st round picks + second round pick + third round pick
over $5million - 4 first rounders

note: the dollar amount in the above scale will be adjusted in accordance with the league average salary. For example, if the average league salary increases by 10% on june 30th, 2007 then each of the dollar amounts for the above scale will increase 10% on june 30th, 2007 (found on pg 38 of the new CBA)"

so a 2nd round pick if we pay him under $2 Mill... may not be such a bad deal. Not sure how accurate that is... also thought i posted this but it seems to have disappeared. not sure what happened.

Old
05-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Richter35

parise is getting at least 3 mill next year, so i dont know if its worth it comp wise

i think maybe even on par with the 2nd line C problem is the 1st line lw problem. we need a big body up there and i dont know is hoss can hack it. i say you give him the benefit of the doubt and start him off there anyways at the beginning and see where it goes from there. we have assets to trade if need be. 4th line needs to get a more frequent turn (10 mins a game at least) with more mobile players. give orty a chance on rw, if he doesnt step it up i say you bite the bullet and stick bourret there. betts aint much of a playmaker but hopefully he can just get the pill to people who can put it in the net like prucha or bourret

hossa-nyls-jag
strak- fa center - shanny
avery - cullen - callahan
prucha - betts - orts/bourret
orr

D is good, but maybe its wishful thinking to belive staal will be ready? he'd be a great complement to mara i believe, as marc is more in the shutdown mold while mara can contribute offensively. rachunek bye bye for assets

malik rosival
tyutin girardi
staal mara

Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 08:21 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Anyone else with me in that if I had my choice of the FA's Id take Gomez?? I know everyone is on Drury, but I think Gomez would bring more to the table in Rangers Blue. I like Drury, but he is a playoffs guy, and Gomez gets it done in both the playoffs, and Reg season. I also dont feel Dubinsky is ready to take on the #2 center role quite yet, Id work him in slowly next year, but not give it to him outright.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote