HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who's the big name we're getting this off-season?

View Poll Results: Our big name acquisition?
Scott Gomez 18 13.24%
Brad Richards 21 15.44%
Patrick Marleau 4 2.94%
Sheldon Souray 8 5.88%
Daniel Briere 53 38.97%
Chris Drury 16 11.76%
Other(please state) 16 11.76%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Well it is just a rumor.. but I think Flyers can outbid "starting bid of Fedor Tyutin, Petr Prucha or Ryan Callahan and Al Montoya"

I just hope we do not give up our 1st over all pick.

Giroux or Downie, Umberger, 23rd in 2007, Gauthier. Similar?

Player/Prospects we can move: Umberger, Gauthier, Sanderson (not that Tampa would want him), 23rd in 2007, Picard, Potulny, Ruzicka, Bartulis, Nodl one of Downie or Giroux.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 05-20-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Brad Richards available?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05202007...oks.htm?page=0

While his opinions on certain things are completely ridiculous, interesting nonetheless.
his analysis of the trade is crap, but it adds credence to the view that Richards will be on the market... the trades he was talking about make no sense, however. if Tampa deals Richards they need get back CHEAP players in return in order to gain anything out of the deal in cap space... this will be a deal for young players with potential and picks... not established players with bloated contracts... though, maybe Nabokov makes sense.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Well it is just a rumor.. but I think Flyers can outbid "starting bid of Fedor Tyutin, Petr Prucha or Ryan Callahan and Al Montoya"

Player/Prospects we can move: Umberger, Gauthier, Sanderson (not that Tampa would want him), 23rd in 2007, Picard, Potulny, Ruzicka, Bartulis, Nodl one of Downie or Giroux.

if Montoya is involved, we will have a tough time matching without going heavy with our picks... and if I was TB i would probably take Montoya over our pick... they need to figure out how to solve their goaltending situation a whole hell of a lot more than they need to deal with offense.

Old
05-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
if Montoya is involved, we will have a tough time matching without going heavy with our picks... and if I was TB i would probably take Montoya over our pick... they need to figure out how to solve their goaltending situation a whole hell of a lot more than they need to deal with offense.
Thats true... Flyers would have a hard time matching someone like Montoya. However, Montoya will not make any difference in his 1st 2nd or 3rd year. Maybe, Tampa could get a goalie via trade? I mean 7.8 cap space is a lot of money.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Thats true... Flyers would have a hard time matching someone like Montoya. However, Montoya will not make any difference in his 1st 2nd or 3rd year. Maybe, Tampa could get a goalie via trade? I mean 7.8 cap space is a lot of money.
Montoya just completed his 2nd professional season and played well... will he win a Vezina right away? No, probably not... but he would be 23 y/o in the middle of the next season, has played NCAA, international, and now two AHL seasons... I think he's closer to being ready (if he's ever going to be) than you might think. Getting Montoya right now and giving him a chance in a situation where he doesn't have to play 75 games is pretty ideal, if you ask me.

Old
05-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:

Not that I want to defend Brooks, but he was saying those players could be moved for Boyle, not Richards.

Quote:
Niittymaki should still have some "potential" associated with his name around the league, even if he doesn't in Philadelphia. He could be involved in a trade.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Niittymaki should still have some "potential" associated with his name around the league, even if he doesn't in Philadelphia. He could be involved in a trade.
I'm sure some teams would be interested in Nitty, but I'd only be interested in him if I wasn't really planning on being competitive... or I had an older established guy already in house.

I mean, if I'm trading for a goalie and it's a choice between who has more value to me... Montoya or Nitty... it's not even close. Nitty is giving up 4 years and a lot of observerd talent before coming into the league.

Old
05-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
I'm sure some teams would be interested in Nitty, but I'd only be interested in him if I wasn't really planning on being competitive... or I had an older established guy already in house.

I mean, if I'm trading for a goalie and it's a choice between who has more value to me... Montoya or Nitty... it's not even close. Nitty is giving up 4 years and a lot of observerd talent before coming into the league.
You're assuming Montoya is available. We're pretty sure Nitty is available. Brooks is usually wrong and is just giving his own ridiculous opinion.

I'm saying if Tampa needs a goalie, you throw Nitty's name into the mix (this is disregarding what another team may be offering since we'll never know).

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
You're assuming Montoya is available. We're pretty sure Nitty is available. Brooks is usually wrong and is just giving his own ridiculous opinion.

I'm saying if Tampa needs a goalie, you throw Nitty's name into the mix (this is disregarding what another team may be offering since we'll never know).
well... Montoya SHOULD be available, unless they're going to install two nets in MSG... makes no sense for the Rangers to hold onto him too much longer.

Old
05-20-2007, 01:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
As soon as I saw the story was written by Larry Brooks, I had to put down my coffee, so I didnt spit it out in laughter.
Larry Brooks should look in the mirror before calling out Barry Melrose.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 10:35 AM
daynus

I'd rather keep Giroux. and i'm sure homer does as well. that kid is a talent. throw in the #2 overall, thats a less valuable asset than Giroux. I don't think we have the goods to win a trade for Richards, without a huge overpayment. Nitty, good god that guy is worthless, no team wants him, well except us. Tampa isn't that stupid.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 10:42 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
I'd rather keep Giroux. and i'm sure homer does as well. that kid is a talent. throw in the #2 overall, thats a less valuable asset than Giroux. I don't think we have the goods to win a trade for Richards, without a huge overpayment. Nitty, good god that guy is worthless, no team wants him, well except us. Tampa isn't that stupid.

So a guy taken 22nd overall LAST year is much more valuable than a guy taken 2nd overall this year???

Ok.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
whomever we draft at no. 2 will be by far and away a better prospect than Claude Giroux.

Old
05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
John Flyers Fan

The real question is what do we do if we don't land one of Drury, Gomez, Briere ???

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 11:42 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
The real question is what do we do if we don't land one of Drury, Gomez, Briere ???
We go after a 2nd tier free agent like Robert Lang, Michal Nylander, etc.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
only on a very short deal...

i would be a pretty big proponent of sitting on our hands and not signing a stupid contract. would it suck? yes. however, it wouldn't suck as much as having a stupid contract on this roster because of a panic signing 3 years from now.

Old
05-21-2007, 11:45 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'd like Nylander, but I'll be shocked if he doesn't wind up back in NY.

Not crazy about Lang, wouldn't give him more than a one year deal for short money, and he'll find better.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
I'd like Nylander, but I'll be shocked if he doesn't wind up back in NY.

Not crazy about Lang, wouldn't give him more than a one year deal for short money, and he'll find better.
I'd rather have Jozef Stumpel on a 2 year deal, to be honest. He'd be an ideal fit for the second line until Giroux/Nodl/Potulny/Ruzicka are ready to step in. Futhermore, I'm pretty sure he'd cost less than Nylander or Lang.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 12:14 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
only on a very short deal...

i would be a pretty big proponent of sitting on our hands and not signing a stupid contract. would it suck? yes. however, it wouldn't suck as much as having a stupid contract on this roster because of a panic signing 3 years from now.
Well of course. No way do they get anymore than a two year deal. They'd be stop gaps more than anything.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Teezax

Put me on the "No thx" list for Lang, he clearly has dissapeared, this year's playoffs should outline that. I still can't believe the Boo-ins let Nylander go, but the Booins are deserving of a thread all on their own.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 10:49 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Sami Salo

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 11:02 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Sami Salo
signed....

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 05:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Sami Salo
don't you keep mentioning him... and people keep saying that he signed already?

Old
05-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
Put me on the "No thx" list for Lang, he clearly has dissapeared, this year's playoffs should outline that. I still can't believe the Boo-ins let Nylander go, but the Booins are deserving of a thread all on their own.
as said, i wouldn't be against sitting on our hands... another interesting thought would be to sign Handzus if he's interested and run out a lineup of Carter, Handzus, and Richards down the middle... that would put a pretty big onus on Carter to develop into "the man," but we sorta need to find out if he can get there regardless.

Old
05-22-2007, 05:51 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
The obvious answer would be go for a 2nd tier FA, but who is out there that fits with Gagne/Knuble and worth even signing?

Listing:
Nylander
Lang
Sykora (better at wing)
Handzus
Stumpel
Comrie
Smolinski

Last resort on a 1 year deal to save their NHL careers:
Bonk
Stefan

Forsberg???

I think the better scenarios are:

1) Trade a midlevel prospect or draft pick, since we have a good amount of prospects now for someone in the last year of their contract like a Brendan Morrison type. I know most on here already said they dont want him, I am only using his name as an example, meaning, a 2nd line center, with good playmaking skills that can fill in on the top line for one year. Or, if Calgary needs to dump salary, bring Langkow back.

2) Take our lumps for one more year, sign a good winger to play with Carter/Upshall and give Mike Richards an extended look playing with Gagne and Knuble. He has shown chemistry with Knuble, and has the playmaking skills for Gagne.

Then go with either Umberger/Potulny as the third center. I wish Umberger had the playmaking skills. You could "hide" him there with Gagne covering his defensive deficiencies, and Knuble covering the grit.

Of course, best case scenario is either trading for Richards or signing one of Briere/Gomez.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote