HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Briere...

Old
05-20-2007, 08:23 AM
AdsSabresRule

vCash: 500
Briere...

Well, with my boys getting downed and outed last night, I gotta tell ya', more than one onlooker is thinking Nashville or Montreal will be heavily in the Briere sweepstakes...I can also say that in addition to Grier, we really missed Dumont this season! Briere will command a hefty ticket, and I don't quite know if you guys envision needing a pure goal scorer who is not going to be out there much against other teams top lines as his D ain't the greatest...that being said, we'll see. July 1st, Briere = UFA.

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
Well, with my boys getting downed and outed last night, I gotta tell ya', more than one onlooker is thinking Nashville or Montreal will be heavily in the Briere sweepstakes...I can also say that in addition to Grier, we really missed Dumont this season! Briere will command a hefty ticket, and I don't quite know if you guys envision needing a pure goal scorer who is not going to be out there much against other teams top lines as his D ain't the greatest...that being said, we'll see. July 1st, Briere = UFA.
I seriously doubt we'll be in the Briere sweepstakes due to our own personal cap restrictions & the $ we'll have to spend on our own UFA's ... I'll pass

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 11:23 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
I seriously doubt we'll be in the Briere sweepstakes due to our own personal cap restrictions & the $ we'll have to spend on our own UFA's ... I'll pass
You say that, but with Sommet's injection of cash and with the knowledge of last year's budget the Preds may have a cap salary between 42.4 Million to 44 or 45 million dollars. (The suspected amount the Sommet Group paid for the naming rights being 2.4-4 million dollars a years.) Let's say it's the lower end and the cap is 42,4 Million. With 28.5 Million dedicated to 13 players, the Preds need 10 players at 14 million dollars. A lot of lower end signings will happen. (RFAs: Hordichuk, Fiddler, Klein) and those guys won't even total 2.5 Million.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 11:28 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I don't see us being at all interested in Briere, actually. The context clues from Poile and Trotz seem to indicate that we're looking to get bigger and stronger. Briere is a great player...but for the money he'll command, I don't see us getting involved.

Drury...would be a different story.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 12:49 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Agreed nmk. We've got to make the Ottawa-esque transition where maybe you lose a little pure skill and replace it with a little more size and grit.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Jarnberg

I agree with the thinking that Poile will attempt to address our depth and improve our bottom two lines instead of trying to grab another big money guy. Especially Briere. Another small player with injury problems.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2007, 10:19 PM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I agree with the thinking that Poile will attempt to address our depth and improve our bottom two lines instead of trying to grab another big money guy. Especially Briere. Another small player with injury problems.
Yeh. I don't really see where Briere would fit in our lineup anyhow, I'm very comfortable with Arnott and Legwand as our top-2 centers.

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 08:41 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
the front page of tsn.ca/nhl says that Briere has heard rumors of Nashville, Philadelphia, and Montreal as his next landing.

STORY HERE

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 01:27 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
the front page of tsn.ca/nhl says that Briere has heard rumors of Nashville, Philadelphia, and Montreal as his next landing.

STORY HERE
It's strange, in one breath I say that he's not what we need, but at the same time, I'm excited by the idea that we're mentioned as being interested.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 06:42 PM
AdsSabresRule

Briere...

Yeah, the word out of B - Lo is that Drury is the keeper for sure and Briere - even though they want to keep him in the worst way - can't afford the two. I guess they tried to negotiate with Chris mid - season, but he said it was too much of a distraction, and wanted to be left alone. He also said he hates being traded, and is okay with his family living in CA in the off -season, but staying put during the year. The fear is if we don't hammer a deal with him by 30 June at 11:59 p.m. - he's gone. We want to drop Spacek's 10 mil, but there won't be any takers. Yeah, Kalinin and Kotalik may be packing too (IMO Kotalik might be a good cheap pick up for you too - incredibly hard shot!) Montreal is scouting Danny heavy, but does he want to be under the spotlight being the French - Candian guy in Montreal? Too many other kids have not met their expectations, i.e. Latendresse, etc. Danny is good, a tough kid, and produces. They want Vinny terribly, but he is going to be in TB until they raise his jersey into the rafters. Danny will command high, high...and wherever he goes its instant 'street cred'. But, he can be injury prone...

Last edited by AdsSabresRule: 05-22-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old
05-22-2007, 06:48 PM
AdsSabresRule

Nashville...

The thing about Nashville is I think you guys have a good rep amongst players about 'playing there'. I heard on some show that one of the reasons you landed Dumont was that his agent called your boys and wondered why you did not inquire on him when he became available - as he WANTED to play in the Nashville area/for the franchise. So, we'll see. I am biased, but heck, if you could land a Danny Briere - why not!

Old
05-22-2007, 06:59 PM
AdsSabresRule

'Small player'

Quote:
There was discussion once about Danny and Max (Afinigenov)...Tempers. Remember, Danny spears OV in the ribs after he gets boarded and crushed the game before...Max, well this kid is just mean - spirited! Someone was like 'why do these goal - scorer finesse types play so cheap (etc) at times, and put us in a bad position?'
The hockey guy on the show was saying that good, fast, smallish forwards like these guys have had to come up from peewees, midgets, bantam, junior, national, etc. being poked, speared, crushed, etc...they had to either be 'tough and nasty' or not make it...So, when people talk of Danny being a 'smallish forward', I have to wonder if your really thinking how a pure goal - scorer with his size makes it so far? He's a tough cookie with a nasty streak...I'd take him!
FWIW.

Old
05-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
There was discussion once about Danny and Max (Afinigenov)...Tempers. Remember, Danny spears OV in the ribs after he gets boarded and crushed the game before...Max, well this kid is just mean - spirited! Someone was like 'why do these goal - scorer finesse types play so cheap (etc) at times, and put us in a bad position?'
The hockey guy on the show was saying that good, fast, smallish forwards like these guys have had to come up from peewees, midgets, bantam, junior, national, etc. being poked, speared, crushed, etc...they had to either be 'tough and nasty' or not make it...So, when people talk of Danny being a 'smallish forward', I have to wonder if your really thinking how a pure goal - scorer with his size makes it so far? He's a tough cookie with a nasty streak...I'd take him!
FWIW.
I wonder if Scott Nichol had the same line of thinking.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I wonder if Scott Nichol had the same line of thinking.
I'm sure he did ... but he doesn't even come close to the amount of skill Briere can bring to the plate ... having said that ... I want our bottom 6 to get bigger & stronger ... Wayne Primeau & Matthew Lombardi are so fast and much bigger (Primeau at least) than anything or anyone we've got playing bottom 6 minutes

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 07:23 PM
AdsSabresRule

Who to get rid of boards...

Speaking of Briere...you guys should look at (my) the Sabres board of 'Who should we get rid of...' My gosh! I hope that if we (the Preds - I have TWO favs - well three if your count my Ads) ever go out two years running in the Conference Finals that we DON'T like sell out EVERY player that produces on the darn team! (Right, get rid of Hecht...whatever!)
Preds - Sign Danny (Briere)!

Old
05-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If we brought in Briere, I still think we can make this team tougher. We would have to beef up the third line wings and probably add a defenseman that is tough. Frankly, adding quality even strength fourth liners would go a long long way to helping this team....

05-23-2007, 07:28 PM
AdsSabresRule

Tougher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
If we brought in Briere, I still think we can make this team tougher. We would have to beef up the third line wings and probably add a defenseman that is tough. Frankly, adding quality even strength fourth liners would go a long long way to helping this team....
That was Ottawa's big plus this season, over past years...Most analysts are saying that Buffalo was not even much better than the Sens last season. But, Ottawa had a tendancy to be 'soft' - this year they played tough...But, that is why I think the Ducks will take this Stanley Cup series. They are HARD! They went through the season with the most fighting majors, sign Brad May at the deadline (we ALL know why), and have basically said that "We'll score enough, but we'll pound you too!"
So, yeah, I think that this will be the blueprint for a few teams (not just the Preds) this upcoming off season...
FWIW!

Oh - yeah, I like Jordin, I like watching him play nasty - but I think he is STILL a liability for you long - haul...