HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund rumor: Rangers might give Vanek an offer sheet

Old
05-23-2007, 11:24 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Sather does not give no trade clauses in deals, this is why Rucinsky did not come back and went to the Blues instead.
I know, but times, they are a changin.

The landscape of the NHL is changing and it seems like more and mor eplayers are demanding these little nuggets in their contracts.

If we expect to be a player in the UFA market for the younger guys in their primes like a Gomez, or an RFA type offer to a Vanek, then these are going to have to be included to be taken seriously.

The fact of the matter is that the way Sather did business is going to have to change to better melt together with the way the league is going to be run as a whole.

No Trades are going to have to be given out. The No movement clause for players like Vanek and Gomez are non-factors in that there's minimal to no risk of any GM sending either player to the minors. For the players 31 and older signing long term deals getting the No Movement Clause ensures that they remain on the teams roster for the life of the deal and I agree that Sather should never give one of those out to anyone over the age of 29 signing a 5 year deal.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 11:27 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Sather does not give no trade clauses in deals, this is why Rucinsky did not come back and went to the Blues instead.
It was the No Trade thing as well as the multi year demand from Martin.

If he would have retired this summer (not likely) his salary number would have been assessed to our cap this year and Sather didn't want to run that risk. I don't blame Sather on either point and am glad he didn't do it.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Unless some team offers Vanek enough money where the Sabres get back more than two first rounders, expect them to match. I'm sure they will just let one of Drury or Brier leave. And I understand this option is available. However, as a few posters already mentioned, it's more or less an unwritten rule, not so much because you don't want to screw the other team, but you will begin a situation where salaries sky rocket and possibly screw yourself down the line. And I'm not talking about Clarke and Kessler, that was peanuts. However, when you start talking about players like Vanek, than teams will go after a Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf and I'll include Parise. Now you have second year players making close to $5 million a year and their agents will be smart enough to notice the trend and will advise the clients not to sign long term deals after their second year and let RFA take it's course. So, a team will come back and that's any team and offer a Lundqvist or say Staal in a few years offer sheets if they believe they're worth it. It's could get insane and just maybe, it might make the NHL off-season more interesting than ever, except for the GM's.

Say Sather offers Vanek over $4 million for 3 years, maybe Lundqvist thinks twice about signing a 6 or 7 year deal for the same amount.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
we have no one even close to vanek...if you want to argue that vanek is not the right guy and this option should be saved for someone else, thats different. but it would be silly to pass up a chance to get vanek because we've got some good 3rd and 4th liners.
Fair enough. But I also think its ridiculous to compare, as a previous poster did in this thread, Jagr to Vanek. I don't think Vanek is or will be a player you can build your forward corps around. Not to mention being one of the best players ever to play hockey, Jagr is a lot bigger than Vanek.

I generally think its smart for teams to build their forward groups from the middle out.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 12:50 PM
NY Ranger86

i'll tell ya what, i'de like Vanek 100times more than Drury or Gomez. We'll see if it's true i guess.

But Drury and Gomez are very much so in the picture right? this is confirmed?

As a PLAYER, i'de rather Gomez then Drury, but thats just me....i'm still sour from that 7.7seconds left ordeal. But then again Gomez is a Devil so....lol

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 12:52 PM
NY Ranger86

JAGR STRAKA VANEK

SHANNAHAN AVERY HOSSA

PRUCHA NYLANDER GOMEZ

hahahahhaha

looks good!

Old
05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
i'll tell ya what, i'de like Vanek 100times more than Drury or Gomez. We'll see if it's true i guess.

But Drury and Gomez are very much so in the picture right? this is confirmed?

As a PLAYER, i'de rather Gomez then Drury, but thats just me....i'm still sour from that 7.7seconds left ordeal. But then again Gomez is a Devil so....lol
well I can see Sather going after Comrie. He did draft him and knows him well. Im shocked he is not putting up more points in the playoffs. Maybe the Sens wont bring him back.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
JAGR STRAKA VANEK

SHANNAHAN AVERY HOSSA

PRUCHA NYLANDER GOMEZ

hahahahhaha

looks good!
Not a chance in hell that we'd be able to afford Vanek, Gomez, and Shanahan, not to mention the fact that there's no way you'd sign Gomez to play the wing.

As for going after Vanek, I'd love to see him in a Rangers jersey, but only if Gomez and Drury are definitely unavailable. Center is our need, not wing.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:22 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Honestly, this is one deal i'd do. If we pull it off, forget Shanny (we don't need him...remember his injury stretch, we still won) and get that centre, and maybe a defenseman and/or backup goalie.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Vanek-UFA centre- Prucha (it gives Prucha the chance to prove himself)
Avery-Cullen-Callahan
Hossa-Betts-Hollweg

Malik-Roszival (Malik is really wasting space)
Tyutin-Girardi
UFA/Staal/Pock-Mara

Lundqvist
UFA goalie/Valiquette/Montoya

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:37 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
Fair enough. But I also think its ridiculous to compare, as a previous poster did in this thread, Jagr to Vanek. I don't think Vanek is or will be a player you can build your forward corps around. Not to mention being one of the best players ever to play hockey, Jagr is a lot bigger than Vanek.

I generally think its smart for teams to build their forward groups from the middle out.
that IMO is the key to any discussion about potential offer sheets. i'm not risking losing multiple 1st round picks for just any random guy, if i'm risking that hefty of a cost then i better be getting back a franchise player that i can build the team around. if we are talking about sidney crosby then i throw a max offer at him and risk losing 4 1st rounders without much hesitation, but with a guy with vanek he's good enough that i'd ponder the idea but i'm not sure he's elite enough to pull the trigger on the deal.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I certainly wouldn't mind him wearing Ranger blue next season, but he wouldn't be my first choice either. Either way, like RX said, this is Exlund we are talking about so who knows.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I certainly wouldn't mind him wearing Ranger blue next season, but he wouldn't be my first choice either. Either way, like RX said, this is Exlund we are talking about so who knows.
true and the rumor of those teams being ready to make an offer sheet to vanek is most likely 99.9999% complete bs because i'm sure teams don't know what they are gonna do yet and if they did they aren't gonna go blabbing about it and risk tampering problems.

but even if this specific rumor isn't true...the concept of using an offer sheet is something worth discussing.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 02:24 PM
TomLaidlaw

Didn't we offer Joe Sakic a huge deal a while back that the Avalanche had to match? I think that was still under the Neil Smith regime.

I love Vanek, I think he is hands down one of the best young players in the league but I am not sure this is the route to go. Right now we are in good shape because we have no RFA's that anyone would deem worthy of an offer, but down the road this might come back to bite us. I rather keep the unwritten rule about this in tact.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 02:27 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post

but even if this specific rumor isn't true...the concept of using an offer sheet is something worth discussing.
exactly I think the RFA poaching issue is really the topic here, because I think everyone would agree Vanek is worth a couple of 1st Rounders. As I posted above I feel like it's best to maintain the unwritten rule about this. The residual effect something like this may have isn't worth it.

Old
05-23-2007, 02:32 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Unless some team offers Vanek enough money where the Sabres get back more than two first rounders, expect them to match. I'm sure they will just let one of Drury or Brier leave. And I understand this option is available. However, as a few posters already mentioned, it's more or less an unwritten rule, not so much because you don't want to screw the other team, but you will begin a situation where salaries sky rocket and possibly screw yourself down the line. And I'm not talking about Clarke and Kessler, that was peanuts. However, when you start talking about players like Vanek, than teams will go after a Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf and I'll include Parise. Now you have second year players making close to $5 million a year and their agents will be smart enough to notice the trend and will advise the clients not to sign long term deals after their second year and let RFA take it's course. So, a team will come back and that's any team and offer a Lundqvist or say Staal in a few years offer sheets if they believe they're worth it. It's could get insane and just maybe, it might make the NHL off-season more interesting than ever, except for the GM's.

Say Sather offers Vanek over $4 million for 3 years, maybe Lundqvist thinks twice about signing a 6 or 7 year deal for the same amount.
Well said. This is exactly the type of consequence I was talking about when I think about the RFA poaching topic, Brklyndevil described it very well. It may not hurt the Rangers this year because I don't think anyone is gonna throw an offer sheet at Marcel "Houdini" Hossa, but down the road this could bite us.

Old
05-23-2007, 03:04 PM
gers*

not that i believe any bit of this, but vanek probably wouldnt mind coming to new york, because he has jagr listed as his childhood hero as a kid in the sabres season guide. what a combo that would be

gers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

[QUOTE=TomLaidlaw;9354056]Well said. This is exactly the type of consequence I was talking about when I think about the RFA poaching topic, Brklyndevil described it very well. It may not hurt the Rangers this year because I don't think anyone is gonna throw an offer sheet at Marcel "Houdini" Hossa, but down the road this could bite us.

Honestly, if I'm a GM and Crosby's agent approached me after next season and says make my guy an offer, he may be the only player I would consider making an offer for and giving up more then rounders 3 first round picks. The rest, very iffy at best.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 03:21 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I really don't see it happening anywhere, not just with the Rangers. It's a hefty price to pay for anyone, and Vanek, though a superstar-in-the-making, probably isn't worth all the picks that it'd take to get him... YET

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 03:25 PM
NY Ranger86

he's worth the picks lol

Old
05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
Quote:
he's worth the picks lol
No, we need another Junior to obsess over for the next three years. Proven guys just aren't worth it anymore.

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 04:07 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
offersheets=waste of time.

why would anyone ever give them out.
larry brooks ='s waste of time.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 04:11 PM
ThirdEye

I'd take in two seconds if it were actually true, which it isn't. He does get a little too fancy shmancy for my liking at times but he is still an incredible talent. I think in a few years he could easily become as good as Lecavelier. Wait, he will

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

If someone other than Bobby Clarke , Brian Burke or Darth SidLOUs can pull something like that , it's Glen Sather.

I seriously doubt that it will happen though considering the source.

Bronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 05:40 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I'd take in two seconds if it were actually true, which it isn't. He does get a little too fancy shmancy for my liking at times but he is still an incredible talent. I think in a few years he could easily become as good as Lecavelier. Wait, he will
As good as Lecavalier??!?

That's a little overboard there.

Vanek is not a franchise player, and I don't see him being one.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 05:41 PM
hgo

5-10 RFA offer sheets? Wasn't there a controversy when Bobby Clarke put out ONE offer sheet a year or two ago?

Please.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote