HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you take Weekes as a backup if....

View Poll Results: Would you sign Weekes as a back up for Henrik?
Yes 46 48.42%
No 40 42.11%
Maybe 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 500
My thing with Weekes is that he doesn't have a backups mentality. A backup needs to be able to come in cold, without playing for weeks, and put up a decent game. Thats hard for a lot of starters, like Kevin, to adapt to.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I've never been a Weekes hater. He is judged too much on his contract, which he signed to be a starter here. Obviously other and better things happened. He has been a great teammate.

That said, I'm not sure I want Weekes as a backup because his injuries have to be a concern.

Also, I'm not sure Valliquette is the answer either. He is not a better goalie than Weekes.

05-23-2007, 08:48 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
When you have a veniza candidate on your team the role of back up goaltender really becomes a different thing. If weekes would be willing to take a big pay cut I'd love to keep him around. He'd probably play fewer than a dozen games all season (hopefully) and he's not at all a bad goalie. He's such a class act that I almost feel guilty about him never playing any games.

I think he'll get offers from other teams that are willing to give him more playing time and he'll take one of em. Would he really want to stay in new york and take a pay cut and still rarely get ice time? I doubt it. So do we use Valliquette or do we sign a new backup? We certainly can't keep montoya in the lineup if he never gets to play. Valliquette had a realy strong game or two for the rangers this season and he sure would be cheap. If lundqvist goes down for an extended period of time then up comes montoya to get some nhl play time finally.

So basically I think that if Montoya is traded before the season starts then we bring in a new backup from somewhere else. If he's not traded then valliquette gets the backup position. No matter what I think weekes signs somewhere that he'll actually get to play some games.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Eagle20

At this point i think Weeks has a complete understanding of what his role on the Rangers will be going foward. You have a 2 time Vezina nominee starting in net, i have a feeling he gets that he will not be the number 1 on the team. With a lack of teams in need of starting goaltending, or at least willing to take a chance on a goaltender like Weeks, i think he would be more then willing to take a back up position for a team like the Rangers. Hes a player thats there for the team not for himself.

As for bringing Montoya into the mix...let me speak from experience. I am an Islander fan and I know all too well the risk with bringing up a young promising goaltender to early. DP is on the right path now but he was obviously rushed into the league too quickly and his confidence took a hit and his developement was seriously hindered. It is hard for a young goaltender to develope in the NHL b/c the potency of the offense, even on some of the lower teams in the league, still have players who can pick out and take advantage of every little fundamental lapse or weak point that shouldnt be there. Montoya looks to have a very very bright future in this league and I, as a hockey fan, wouldn't want to see him start his career off on the wrong foot.

Bring Weeks back for one more season, if hes willing to take that pay cut, and let Montoya take advantage of one more season of developement.

Eagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Shadowtron

Think he's a great team guy and a good goalie, but I voted NO nonetheless. I think Weekes should be on a team where he can be the No. 1 guy. He's decent enough to get the job done for a lower echelon team who can pull out the occasional surprise playoff run.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
he would sign a contract where he earns a lot less than what he is getting right now?

I know everyone wants Alvaro to back stop Henrik next year, but Im not sure if it will do him good if he plays for lets say 25 games and then rusts for the rest of the season. It definetly will give him a taste of the big league, but Id rather have Montoya develope one more year down in Hartford.

I know a lot of heads will explode thinking about Weekes being back with us but honestly the only problem I had with him was the money he was getting. He is a great guy on and off the ice, handled the situation with Henke very well without moaning (he was hired to be our Number 1 and then a rookie got his spot). And he wasnt that bad as people make him out to be.
I personally think Kevin is the best backup option right now.

So in conclusion Id sign Weekes for another year (with a much smaller paycheck).
Am I the only one feeling this way?
Long story short. NYR needs to win and god forbid Henk goes down,weekes is not the man to help this team win.

I would rather, and actually always liked Valliquette,so Im more than fine with him.

So to your question ,NONONONONNONONONONONO to Weekes,NO!

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:14 AM
JR#9*

if he'd resign for 900k or less I'd certainly take him in the backup role.

Class act, loved by his teamates and the coaching staff and he and hank seem to really get along well as a tandem.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Chimp

Yes, I would, if Weekes signed for maybee $1 million or less and could cope with the backup role. Weekes is a great guy and everybody who's around him seems to like him.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Yes, I would, if Weekes signed for maybee $1 million or less and could cope with the backup role. Weekes is a great guy and everybody who's around him seems to like him.
TRhey all love him caus they feel bad for him, hes a crapppy goalie, and sympathy is what it seems like most. he does nothihg for the team in any way. USELESS.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:30 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha25Graves988 View Post
Long story short. NYR needs to win and god forbid Henk goes down,weekes is not the man to help this team win.

I would rather, and actually always liked Valliquette,so Im more than fine with him.

So to your question ,NONONONONNONONONONONO to Weekes,NO!
you honestly think Valliquette would help us more than Weekes if Henrik goes down.

I dont know about you but I feel much more comfortable with Weekes in net than I am when Vally is.
Weekes is arguably the best option as a backup goalie right now, I mean whats his competition? Markkanen is probably the only other guy I would have no problem with as our Backup, but what else is left? Backstrom? No chance, he will most likely resign with Minnesota, McLennan? Not better than Weekes. Thibault? He got hot at the end of the season but I still wouldnt take him, Im also pretty sure Pitts will not let him go/Thibault is feeling really good in the Burgh.
You want Boucher? Me neither.

Again, Weekes is the best option outthere, unless you wanna rush Montoya and waste some developement time he could get down in Hartford.

edit: on a sidenote, I am surprised the poll is this close, I actually thought this guy is hated on this board especially after reading the many , many game day threads where he has been cursed and wished to hell and every goal was to blame on him.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
you honestly think Valliquette would help us more than Weekes if Henrik goes down.

I dont know about you but I feel much more comfortable with Weekes in net than I am when Vally is.
Weekes is arguably the best option as a backup goalie right now, I mean whats his competition? Markkanen is probably the only other guy I would have no problem with as our Backup, but what else is left? Backstrom? No chance, he will most likely resign with Minnesota, McLennan? Not better than Weekes. Thibault? He got hot at the end of the season but I still wouldnt take him, Im also pretty sure Pitts will not let him go/Thibault is feeling really good in the Burgh.
You want Boucher? Me neither.

Again, Weekes is the best option outthere, unless you wanna rush Montoya and waste some developement time he could get down in Hartford.

edit: on a sidenote, I am surprised the poll is this close, I actually thought this guy is hated on this board especially after reading the many , many game day threads where he has been cursed and wished to hell and every goal was to blame on him.
yes, i honestly think Valliquette is a better goalie than Weekes. Weekes gives you 60 minutes of mediocre at best goaltending. Valliquette gives you some hot, and some cold goaltending. he can come up with the big save when he has to, and can also give up a clunker. Id rather have a guy like that than one who is steadily crappy.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:21 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
yes, i honestly think Valliquette is a better goalie than Weekes. Weekes gives you 60 minutes of mediocre at best goaltending. Valliquette gives you some hot, and some cold goaltending. he can come up with the big save when he has to, and can also give up a clunker. Id rather have a guy like that than one who is steadily crappy.
i actually think its the other way around.
do you remember that game against philly last year, where weekes made this incredible save on i think forsberg or gagne. when he shot at point blank and he gloved it down, only to lose the game in overtime after 5 seconds or so.

or do you remember the california dreaming? against anaheim and san jose early in the season?
especially against san jose weekes was spectacular. I dont think valliquette wouldve won those 2 games.
so i disagree, weekes is, in my opinion much, much better than valliquette, who, if you are honest hasnt really been tested cept for one game.

Old
05-23-2007, 01:28 PM
eco's bones

Personally even if Montoya doesn't become the backup we can do much better than either Weekes of Valiquette. Just from the first round of the playoffs it was obvious at least to me that Hedberg would be worth consideration. I'm sure there are others. One point to me is that if either Weekes or Valiquette come back I'd just as soon see Henrik play 70 or more games.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 02:04 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Personally even if Montoya doesn't become the backup we can do much better than either Weekes of Valiquette. Just from the first round of the playoffs it was obvious at least to me that Hedberg would be worth consideration. I'm sure there are others. One point to me is that if either Weekes or Valiquette come back I'd just as soon see Henrik play 70 or more games.

i can imagine that hedberg will be looking for a starting job.

Old
05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
i actually think its the other way around.
do you remember that game against philly last year, where weekes made this incredible save on i think forsberg or gagne. when he shot at point blank and he gloved it down, only to lose the game in overtime after 5 seconds or so.

or do you remember the california dreaming? against anaheim and san jose early in the season?
especially against san jose weekes was spectacular. I dont think valliquette wouldve won those 2 games.
so i disagree, weekes is, in my opinion much, much better than valliquette, who, if you are honest hasnt really been tested cept for one game.
ahh, i knew someone would bring this up. here is what my opinion on those games are. the team knows he sucks. they know that any decent shot has a chance to go through him, so they definitely hunker down. did you see the goal he gave up at the end of the san jose game, that was terrible, he just stood there, watched it go by, and didnt move at all. Anyways, yeah, the team most definitely played harder in front of Weekes because they know he wont bail them out like Henrik did. Once the team realized that Henrik wasnt god, and needed the same help, the team took off.

Its about how the team played more than how he played. The team kept everything to the outside, and really limited chances against.

By the way, just look at the stats.

someone feel free to find out what the average sv% and gaa is these past few years, but here are Weekes' numbers
3.39 & .879 this year
2.95 & .895 last year

not exactly impressive.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
i can imagine that hedberg will be looking for a starting job.
Very possible--though there's probably not all that many openings for one.

Old
05-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Balej20*

Selfishly, I would want him as a backup for us at a reduced price... however, I think he deserves to go somewhere that he has a chance to start, he's been a good sport about things here the last couple years, but he still has talent

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourret41 View Post
Selfishly, I would want him as a backup for us at a reduced price... however, I think he deserves to go somewhere that he has a chance to start, he's been a good sport about things here the last couple years, but he still has talent
I really don't think he's going to get a chance to start anywhere.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Weekes thinks he is an NHL caliber starter, that's what he signed with this team as, and now he no longer is. With all of that said, he won't be back next season.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:09 AM
eco's bones

Well here is the next question--if the Rangers were to re-sign him assuming at a reduced cost--How many games should he see?--for say $1 mil? Personally this business about him being a starter is a bit much too. For who? Right off the bat every team that made the playoffs has a better goaltender than he is. Adding him to the Phoenix Coyotes or Los Angeles Kings isn't going to put them into the playoffs by any means. To me he is a backup--and one that needs to play quite a bit to keep from getting rusty--the Rangers are not an ideal situation any longer for an aging, expensive inconsistent goaltender no matter how good he is in the locker room.

Old
05-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Nich

if henrik goes down next year, monty will be the starter. whether or not he is the backup, if henrik is out for a extended period of time al is the new starter

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:30 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
if henrik goes down next year, monty will be the starter. whether or not he is the backup, if henrik is out for a extended period of time al is the new starter
I agree--if they haven't traded him in the meantime.

Old
05-24-2007, 01:43 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
ahh, i knew someone would bring this up. here is what my opinion on those games are. the team knows he sucks. they know that any decent shot has a chance to go through him, so they definitely hunker down. did you see the goal he gave up at the end of the san jose game, that was terrible, he just stood there, watched it go by, and didnt move at all. Anyways, yeah, the team most definitely played harder in front of Weekes because they know he wont bail them out like Henrik did. Once the team realized that Henrik wasnt god, and needed the same help, the team took off.

Its about how the team played more than how he played. The team kept everything to the outside, and really limited chances against.

By the way, just look at the stats.

someone feel free to find out what the average sv% and gaa is these past few years, but here are Weekes' numbers
3.39 & .879 this year
2.95 & .895 last year

not exactly impressive.
in the mentioned game against the sharks weekes faced 30(+?) shots.
I wouldnt say its proof of the defense/team playing harder in front of him, and to be honest Id say its a myth that the team plays with more effort when weekes is in net.
what kind of attitude is that? i mean come on, would you , as a blueshirt, step on the ice, with henrik in net and think "oh well Henrik is in, he will bail us out, so i dont have to give 100%"/"yikes, kevin is in.. I have to play 110%!!!"
thats definitly unprofessional.
I think you are really underestimating weekes play.
noone denies Weekes has a few stinkers, even i said it myself, he cost us a couple of game, but he also won us games.
and your stats dont really mean much to me because he actually didnt play alot this season, so its kinda hard to build up some decent stats with only a bunch of games.
its like.. lets say Roberto Luongo plays 2 games, he gets lit up in both game by 5 goals on 20 shots and then goes down with an injury and then saying Luongo sucks because of those 2 games.
Weekes is nowhere near henrik and is hardly a starting goaltender.
but imho opinion hes a very decent backup.

by the way talking about stats
check out his stats sheet on hockeydb http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=18621

its appearant that he is having a rough time in new york but if you check out his other stats he looks like a pretty good goalie and im not surprised he used to think he can get the starting job when he came over.
now why did he stink with us? thats another topic, i personally think that its a mental thing, i wouldnt exactly say losing his starting job to henrik is a factor, but it can be one, and if you lose confidence as a goalie you will flat out stink because you dont believe in your abilities. and dont underestimate the 18200 peeps in MSG that would love to push you off the empire state building if you make a mistake.
its a shame Weekes got booed. I personally would hate to play for a team whose fans boo me whenever I make a mistake instead of supporting me.
In Britain fans are often referred as "supporters" and for a reason.

that being said, it still amazes me that the slight majority would like to have him back. thats pretty surprising because I really believed Weekes is the (a) goat on this board

Old
05-24-2007, 01:57 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Very possible--though there's probably not all that many openings for one.
the bolts might give him a shot again, their goalie tandem isnt exactly the best in this league.

Old
05-24-2007, 02:03 PM
nickrOck

i'd take him back at 1m or under.. i'm deffinitely not a fan by anymeans.. but he is a good guy to have in the room and in his time here has never put a ripple in the water.. i say bring him back for another year and give montoya another year in the ahl so that he can see alot of action, rather then sit on the bench and play between 20-30 games max..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote