HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackman revisited

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-22-2007, 10:06 PM
  #1
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,835
vCash: 500
Awards:
Jackman revisited

Just stopping in to see if the idea of Jackman still being available was floating out there --- specifically coming back to this thread from February. What are the Blues most likely interested in to bolster their current lineup? And is at forward (scoring forwards specifically), where the Blues would be looking to improve?

Regards, thanks for your time.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:18 PM
  #2
Checker*
 
Checker*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Just stopping in to see if the idea of Jackman still being available was floating out there --- specifically coming back to this thread from February. What are the Blues most likely interested in to bolster their current lineup? And is at forward (scoring forwards specifically), where the Blues would be looking to improve?

Regards, thanks for your time.
Given how Jackman ended the season, and the comments from Andy Murray, Jackman isn't coming cheaply if he gets traded at all. In other words, it'd take Stafford for the Blues to even consider it. If you're interested in a replacement of sorts for McKee, Salvador would come much cheaper. I'd propose Hecht for Salvador.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2007, 10:32 PM
  #3
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,835
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Given how Jackman ended the season, and the comments from Andy Murray, Jackman isn't coming cheaply if he gets traded at all. In other words, it'd take Stafford for the Blues to even consider it. If you're interested in a replacement of sorts for McKee, Salvador would come much cheaper. I'd propose Hecht for Salvador.
That's fine, I wasn't looking for inexpensive but a certain stylistic fit. That said, I doubt Stafford is involved in any deal at this point from a Sabre POV. His final 22 game recall after the Afinogenov injury were simply outstanding (11 goals, 11 assists, 3 GWG's). I honestly don't know if Buffalo would be interested in Jackman -- Regier is an obstinant GM and I can see him clinging to his current squad composition as it moves toward compost. Namely, the lack of a banger on the blueline and it's creampuff consistency.

There are several Blues who stand out as the footsoldier types Buffalo seems to need at the moment -- Salvador, Hinote, and Mayers -- beyond just the rekindled interest in Jackman. It seems these two teams could make decent trade partners.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:06 AM
  #4
barnburner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
It's extemely unlikely that Jackman will be involved in a trade.
Not only has he become easily the best dman on this team, but perhaps more importantly, he has taken over the leadership reins on the backline.
If he was traded - who takes over that aspect? Brewer? - not hardly. McKee might be able to do it, but until we see him on the ice in camp, his health situation is yet undetermined.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:18 PM
  #5
trublu16
Registered User
 
trublu16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnburner View Post
It's extemely unlikely that Jackman will be involved in a trade.
Not only has he become easily the best dman on this team, but perhaps more importantly, he has taken over the leadership reins on the backline.
If he was traded - who takes over that aspect? Brewer? - not hardly. McKee might be able to do it, but until we see him on the ice in camp, his health situation is yet undetermined.
That is only if he can stay on the ice for more than a game. But personally, I would like to see some team come and trade for him. If anything got proven last year, it was he was not as deperately needed as some had thought. So if we could get rid of him and his salary, I would be all for it.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 01:36 PM
  #6
barnburner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
That is only if he can stay on the ice for more than a game. But personally, I would like to see some team come and trade for him. If anything got proven last year, it was he was not as deperately needed as some had thought. So if we could get rid of him and his salary, I would be all for it.
We have a better chance of winning the Cup next year, than we do of getting someone to take McKee's salary.
That's not a knock on McKee, who I think is a much better dman that we have seen here. It's just that with his recent injury history and inflated salary - moving him is probably not realistic.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 02:05 PM
  #7
TrustInJarmo*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 500
I think it would be very stupid to part with Jackman.

I didn't mind the McKee signing as much, I think we will appreciate him more when he has a full, healthy, year under his belt with us.

With that said, the only thing I disagreed on with new ownership and JD is the Brewer contract.

I would have shipped Brewer at the deadline for a 1st rounder or a forward (like Boyes). I just don't get it, Ownership knew Jackman is up for a contract, knowing EJ will probably with the Blues next year. And if we can't trade Backman, we have his salary for a couple more years....
That is already 3 or 4 defensemen you have in the NHL next year, making big bucks.

I just don't think Brewer is a top 2 defensemen and I am not a big fan of him or his contract.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 02:21 PM
  #8
funktasticblues93
Registered User
 
funktasticblues93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: st. louis mo.
Country: Spain
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I think it would be very stupid to part with Jackman.

I didn't mind the McKee signing as much, I think we will appreciate him more when he has a full, healthy, year under his belt with us.

With that said, the only thing I disagreed on with new ownership and JD is the Brewer contract.

I would have shipped Brewer at the deadline for a 1st rounder or a forward (like Boyes). I just don't get it, Ownership knew Jackman is up for a contract, knowing EJ will probably with the Blues next year. And if we can't trade Backman, we have his salary for a couple more years....
That is already 3 or 4 defensemen you have in the NHL next year, making big bucks.

I just don't think Brewer is a top 2 defensemen and I am not a big fan of him or his contract.
I have a feeling everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised with Brewer, now that he'll have a full year of Murray under his belt and he's another year mature. Brewer is just now reaching his prime IMO. That being said, I don't think the Blues will part with Jackman, mid year they will be in contract talks to get him extended. Now maybe if he's wanting McKee Brewer money, we might see him getting shipped off, but I think Backman is the odd man out. Backmans contract isn't that bad and he's only 26 years old.

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 02:29 PM
  #9
TrustInJarmo*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktasticblues93 View Post
I have a feeling everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised with Brewer, now that he'll have a full year of Murray under his belt and he's another year mature. Brewer is just now reaching his prime IMO. That being said, I don't think the Blues will part with Jackman, mid year they will be in contract talks to get him extended. Now maybe if he's wanting McKee Brewer money, we might see him getting shipped off, but I think Backman is the odd man out. Backmans contract isn't that bad and he's only 26 years old.
I hope your right...I was thinking the same thing with Murray cocahing him. I never liked Quenneville, but I like what I see from Murray. And if he has confidence in Brewer...than maybe he will turn the corner.

But if Brewer doesn't turn the corner we are stuck with his 4.5 million a year, for the next 4 years.

And yes, I think Jackman will command Brewer/McKee money, because he is just as good (if not better).

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 02:31 PM
  #10
fcpremix88
Registered User
 
fcpremix88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,875
vCash: 500
I would never willingly give up Jackman.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 05:52 PM
  #11
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Jackmans game really picked up under Andy Murray, Noone on this team is untouchable but the price has gone up from when Kitchen was the coach.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 05:55 PM
  #12
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funktasticblues93 View Post
I have a feeling everyone is going to be pleasantly surprised with Brewer, now that he'll have a full year of Murray under his belt and he's another year mature. Brewer is just now reaching his prime IMO. That being said, I don't think the Blues will part with Jackman, mid year they will be in contract talks to get him extended. Now maybe if he's wanting McKee Brewer money, we might see him getting shipped off, but I think Backman is the odd man out. Backmans contract isn't that bad and he's only 26 years old.
I agree about Backman being the odd man out. Also I Heard AM on the Radio saying that Brewer was the best D-man in the tourney at the recently completed World championships. Hopefully that wasnt just a coach talking up one of his guys.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
  #13
StLooFrenchy
Registered User
 
StLooFrenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern Illinois
Country: France
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiodos View Post
I would never willingly give up Jackman.
Jax is the future C on the Blues. He isn't going anywhere without a huge overpayment. The guy is a stud, and still has upside.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 11:35 PM
  #14
Checker*
 
Checker*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Hey, Chainshot. Don't know if you're still following this thread but could the Blues put together a package (not including Jackman) that could fetch Derek Roy from you guys. He's pretty much what we need, from what I understand is a RFA for you guys, and given some of the contracts you have coming due, you may want to invest money elsewhere

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:16 PM
  #15
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
Jax is the future C on the Blues. He isn't going anywhere without a huge overpayment. The guy is a stud, and still has upside.
The way he closed the season, I think he is the Captain next year if Drake decides he has had enough.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 08:37 PM
  #16
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,835
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
Hey, Chainshot. Don't know if you're still following this thread but could the Blues put together a package (not including Jackman) that could fetch Derek Roy from you guys. He's pretty much what we need, from what I understand is a RFA for you guys, and given some of the contracts you have coming due, you may want to invest money elsewhere
Roy, Connolly, Kotalik or Afinogenov would be guys in play at the NHL level up front. Since Connolly is coming off another injury, his value is certainly limited. Roy is arbitration eligible and it's not impossible to see him jump from his current salary up into the mid-$2 million range. Depending on the potential face of the team (ie. do the Sabres managing partners look to keep Drury AND Briere) and Vanek's RFA status, it seems likely someone is leaving. Of course I'd be more interested in moving Connolly and say Kalinin but that is probably far too much risk for the Blues to take on. Kotalik hit for over 60 points when paired with a quality passer (Connolly) last season and could be available. Afinogenov... well... Max is affordably priced and a dynamic offensive talent. However, depending on what the Sabres decide to do, he too could be in play this summer. *shrug* I'm not the GM, I can only make observations and extrapolate an idea.

I see Backman's name in the thread... however, his game isn't the sort of style that I'm looking for. Buffalo already has a set of 2-way puck movers and are lacking on the end of quality body movers. With Brewer and McKee tied up to their deals, Johnson coming on board and the reasonably priced deal for Salvadore... Backman or Jackman seem like possible assests that could be moved to bolster the Blues forward ranks. Most are loathe to move Roy. However, if the managing partners decide to go after (and sign) both Briere and Drury, Connolly's lack of worth due to injury makes Roy the likely casualty down the middle. He's versatile and I'd love to see him given LW duty full-time with Drury... but the arbitration awards of last summer could price him out if the Sabres are trying to maintain their captaincy.

I don't see anything the Blues could offer without Jackman in it that appeals to me for Roy.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 06:13 AM
  #17
Bluester
Registered User
 
Bluester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Roy, Connolly, Kotalik or Afinogenov would be guys in play at the NHL level up front. Since Connolly is coming off another injury, his value is certainly limited. Roy is arbitration eligible and it's not impossible to see him jump from his current salary up into the mid-$2 million range. Depending on the potential face of the team (ie. do the Sabres managing partners look to keep Drury AND Briere) and Vanek's RFA status, it seems likely someone is leaving. Of course I'd be more interested in moving Connolly and say Kalinin but that is probably far too much risk for the Blues to take on. Kotalik hit for over 60 points when paired with a quality passer (Connolly) last season and could be available. Afinogenov... well... Max is affordably priced and a dynamic offensive talent. However, depending on what the Sabres decide to do, he too could be in play this summer. *shrug* I'm not the GM, I can only make observations and extrapolate an idea.

I see Backman's name in the thread... however, his game isn't the sort of style that I'm looking for. Buffalo already has a set of 2-way puck movers and are lacking on the end of quality body movers. With Brewer and McKee tied up to their deals, Johnson coming on board and the reasonably priced deal for Salvadore... Backman or Jackman seem like possible assests that could be moved to bolster the Blues forward ranks. Most are loathe to move Roy. However, if the managing partners decide to go after (and sign) both Briere and Drury, Connolly's lack of worth due to injury makes Roy the likely casualty down the middle. He's versatile and I'd love to see him given LW duty full-time with Drury... but the arbitration awards of last summer could price him out if the Sabres are trying to maintain their captaincy.

I don't see anything the Blues could offer without Jackman in it that appeals to me for Roy.

I don't really see us shopping Jackman. Backman is the guy that will be shopped and traded in my mind. We're going to see what's all available out there and go from there. I don't really want to see Jackman go anywhere and honestly don't think he'll be the D-Man we shop and ship out.


Last edited by Bluester: 05-25-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 05:50 PM
  #18
CuSa_1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
I don't really see us shopping Jackman. Backman is the guy that will be shopped and traded in my mind. We're going to see what's all available out there and go from there. I don't really want to see Jackman go anywhere and honestly don't think he'll be the D-Man we shop and ship out.
Agreed, but it seems as though the obvious answer never was the answer... of course that was with a previous regime.

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 04:45 AM
  #19
Bluester
Registered User
 
Bluester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1 View Post
Agreed, but it seems as though the obvious answer never was the answer... of course that was with a previous regime.
I think the new regime has a game plan and will stick to it unless something is good enough they can't pass it up. That's why I say Backman is the odd man out as in out the door somewhere in a deal. I know they want to get fans back in the seats but I also know that they want to do it the right way. The old way was to careless. Toss money at it and burn the farm.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 03:59 PM
  #20
Westguy13
Registered User
 
Westguy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not KC...
Country: United States
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Roy, Connolly, Kotalik or Afinogenov would be guys in play at the NHL level up front. Since Connolly is coming off another injury, his value is certainly limited. Roy is arbitration eligible and it's not impossible to see him jump from his current salary up into the mid-$2 million range. Depending on the potential face of the team (ie. do the Sabres managing partners look to keep Drury AND Briere) and Vanek's RFA status, it seems likely someone is leaving. Of course I'd be more interested in moving Connolly and say Kalinin but that is probably far too much risk for the Blues to take on. Kotalik hit for over 60 points when paired with a quality passer (Connolly) last season and could be available. Afinogenov... well... Max is affordably priced and a dynamic offensive talent. However, depending on what the Sabres decide to do, he too could be in play this summer. *shrug* I'm not the GM, I can only make observations and extrapolate an idea.

I see Backman's name in the thread... however, his game isn't the sort of style that I'm looking for. Buffalo already has a set of 2-way puck movers and are lacking on the end of quality body movers. With Brewer and McKee tied up to their deals, Johnson coming on board and the reasonably priced deal for Salvadore... Backman or Jackman seem like possible assests that could be moved to bolster the Blues forward ranks. Most are loathe to move Roy. However, if the managing partners decide to go after (and sign) both Briere and Drury, Connolly's lack of worth due to injury makes Roy the likely casualty down the middle. He's versatile and I'd love to see him given LW duty full-time with Drury... but the arbitration awards of last summer could price him out if the Sabres are trying to maintain their captaincy.

I don't see anything the Blues could offer without Jackman in it that appeals to me for Roy.
Thats exactly the way I would look at it. Jackman SHOULD be #1 on the Sabres shortlist for the offseason. On the other side of things St. Louis needs some offense Roy and Afino would be great options Connolly would be a good one as well but we wouldn't get someone of Jackmans value for him due to injuries. Something I could see happening though would be bringing in Mayers which I think we could spare a Kotalik or Hecht for in a packaged deal. My dream (probobly not most of yours however) would be an Afinogenov, Kotalik for Jackman, Mayers deal. I don't know if that value would perhaps be enough to draw the interest of your management. And I highly doubt our management would go such a route but you never know.

Westguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 11:34 PM
  #21
Westguy13
Registered User
 
Westguy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not KC...
Country: United States
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 500
Or I know I posted this on the trade board but I figured it might get a better look from your boards, what would you guys think of something like Kotalik + Roy for Jackman, Mayers.

Westguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.