HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Please for the love of christ no ... don't do it Liepold

Old
05-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Transported Upstater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
Poor guys. I'm so sorry. But, I have to admit...I'd take whatever I could get to have a team in Winnipeg. Even if it's the Preds.

Ok, you've made your point.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I will always love hockey but after today, I'll never support the NHL again.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Joe Sakic View Post
Poor guys. I'm so sorry. But, I have to admit...I'd take whatever I could get to have a team in Winnipeg. Even if it's the Preds.
This guy likely has as little intention of putting the team in Winnipeg as he does keeping it in Nashville. Sorry to break that to you.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
It's not so much the NHL, as much as being lied to by our (former) owner.

Radulov for Czar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Dr.Huxtable*

Sorry guys. Now you know how Devils fans felt in 95 when you were supposed to get our team. It's a terrible feeling.

This Basille guy clearly wants to bring another team to Ontario, he wanted the Pens to move but Bettman wouldn't allow it. But what can Bettman do about this? Isn't there a clause that says if the Preds don't sell a certain amount of tix that the team can relocate?

Dr.Huxtable* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Olaf

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...KFo&refer=home

$220 mil ...not a bad pay day for Leipold.....
He did have the sale sign out fellas, just wonder what Bettman has discussed with our new owner.

Depressing stuff....the fans of this city deserve better...

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:15 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

I've never understood all the crap Nashville gets for ticket sales. People for some reason expect fan bases to be built overnight. I can remember how people said they didnt want the Pens to move because of their historyh, but part of that history was constant struggles, on and off the ice, until Lemieux came along. Then the fan abse really built.

A fan base takes time, especially when you spend years building through the draft and getting good.

I really think the Preds are getting the short end of the stick and I really do not want to see them leave.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

the only thing we can hope is that the league steps in and does the same thing they did with the Penguins....but the black cloud this will develop will be devastating...though again, if this DOES fall through, we know what Leipold's intentions are now, anyway.

Old
05-23-2007, 08:19 PM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Ok, you've made your point.
LOL. I think my original message may have been a bit too subtle for some fans to pick up on. Sorry. I shouldn't have emphasized it. Sometimes, it helps to be more direct (just so everyone knows where I'm coming from).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
This guy likely has as little intention of putting the team in Winnipeg as he does keeping it in Nashville. Sorry to break that to you.
But, as I stated earlier, I also would like another team in Canada. I'm also quite familiar with Balsillie's intentions.

Last edited by fcbarcelona: 05-23-2007 at 10:02 PM.
fcbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:23 PM
petrskudra1

Welcome to our fear of last year. I hope and pray that the creep doesnt move the Preds...you guys deserve your team.

Best of luck

petrskudra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:29 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

****ing A, this blows. And to top it off the ****ing tools enjoying this, go get curbed you ****ing *******s.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:29 PM
penny_lane

tomorrow I will email Gary Bettman telling
him to do all to keep the preds in Nashville.

Many fans from USA and Canada last year were
very free and easy with move the pens here...
put Crosby back in Canada. They don't understand
the fans are emotionally attached to the team.

If the fans care you have to plunk down the
money for tickets; for NHL there isn't any
other revenue coming.

penny_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
****ing A, this blows. And to top it off the ****ing tools enjoying this, go get curbed you ****ing *******s.
agreed. it's taking a great deal of restraint not to go off, especially given that there's little sense in staying a moderator\continuing on this board if this goes through.

Old
05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Nashville108*

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny lane View Post
tomorrow I will email Gary Bettman telling
him to do all to keep the preds in Nashville.

Many fans from USA and Canada last year were
very free and easy with move the pens here...
put Crosby back in Canada. They don't understand
the fans are emotionally attached to the team.

If the fans care you have to plunk down the
money for tickets; for NHL there isn't any
other revenue coming.
i appreciate this. I was very against the Pens being moved and rejoiced with their fans when the news came that they were getting their arena.

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Nashville108*

Quote:
agreed. it's taking a great deal of restraint not to go off, especially given that there's little sense in staying a moderator\continuing on this board if this goes through.
I doubt I will follow the NHL if they leave, and if I do the Predators will be my most hated franchise. Seriously. I hope whats his name never makes the playoffs if they move to Canada.

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:44 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The "fans" on these boards will enjoy seeing the Predators leave town I'm sure.
I can't think that any real fan could be happy

In Ottawa there were rumours for a couple of years abut our team moving , with various millionaires popping up here and there, some said they would leave the team in Ottawa,some were not so sure.

Then of course there was the bankruptcy and then Melnyk bought the team and thank goodness, kept it in Ottawa.

Meantime Buffalo was going through the same thing. And look at Pittsbugh and the scare they got this year.

I dont think Bettman wants any team to close or move. Never mind Bettman- the Leafs and Sabres dont want anyone else cutting into their southern Ontario market.

The worst thing is the atmosphere of uncertaintly.
I really feel for you guys and hope it all works out for you , no matter how bad it looks now.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Olaf

One thing is for sure, this cat brings a lot more coin to the table than Leipold. And yes, he can put this team in his backyard if he so chooses.

One saving grace...may just be this city. A lot of business is moving here and is fast growing area, this is a great place to live. Leipold and crew screwed the pooch with corporate ticket sales.... and this guy is a marketing genius. Let's see how this plays out for a few weeks before we start the I give up talk.
He can win some fans and corporate interest if he comes into freee agency swinging.....if.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:46 PM
veronesepk

veronesepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:47 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
I can't think that any real fan could be happy

In Ottawa there were rumours for a couple of years abut our team moving , with various millionaires popping up here and there, some said they would leave the team in Ottawa,some were not so sure.

Then of course there was the bankruptcy and then Melnyk bought the team and thank goodness, kept it in Ottawa.

Meantime Buffalo was going through the same thing. And look at Pittsbugh and the scare they got this year.

I dont think Bettman wants any team to close or move. Never mind Bettman- the Leafs and Sabres dont want anyone else cutting into their southern Ontario market.

The worst thing is the atmosphere of uncertaintly.
I really feel for you guys and hope it all works out for you , no matter how bad it looks now.
I think there's zero chance the Leafs or even Sabres would allow a team in Ontario...but I'm more nervous about Kansas City starting to salivate again.

Old
05-23-2007, 08:47 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I feel your pain. Honestly. As an Edmonton fan living with the threat of relocation over my teams head for most of the 90's, it's the worst feeling in the world. However, I think you need to judge the NHL on what the league does to maintain the team in the city it's in now. By my reckoning, Bettman has set a new standard with the restrictions it put on Balsillie after his intent to purchase the Pens became public. And that was a for a franchise where frustration on the lack of resolution on the arena situation had dragged on for years and years. How would it look if Bettman backed up Balsillie's right to move without a wimper? A crock, that's what.

Anyway, please don't brush all Canadians with the same brush as Nashville nay sayers. I sincerely wish you guys well and hope you keep optimistic because I think there's a whole lot of things that have to happen before a new owner will be able to up and move the team.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

Geez, I don't wish this on any fan. I have really enjoyed the Sharks/Preds rivalry that has grown the past couple of years. It would be a shame to not have that any more.

Chin up.

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
I think there's zero chance the Leafs or even Sabres would allow a team in Ontario...but I'm more nervous about Kansas City starting to salivate again.

On the positive side, I doubt Ballsille gives a damn about Kansas City, and he certainly doesn't need their money so he won't be persuaded that way. If it were between Nashville and KC he'd be much better off staying put.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Zombie Jesus

Despite what has been said about Balsillie wanting to move Pittsburgh and everyone assuming he will do the same with Nashville there is simply no proof that he had or has any intention of moving the Penguins or the Predators.

The conditions made by Bettman for the Penguins sale so so absurd anyone would have walk away. Remember Bettman made a condition of the sale that:

a) the Pens couldn't be moved regardless of the circumstances. That isn't a very smart thing to do while attempting to negotiate a new arena deal as it removes the only thing the team can negotiate with. Just imagine trying to make a deal when you literally have no bargaining chips.

b) That the league could take over the franchise for whatever reason they wanted whenever they deemed it necessary. In other words they really own the team, you just pay the bills.

Regardless, I hope this works out for the fans of the Predators. You guys deserve to have this team.

Zombie Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:02 PM
st5801

To put a positive perspective on this news, I think there is a good chance that the Board of Governors would block a move to Canada. With the NHL struggling to grow in the US, it makes no sense for the NHL to move a promising team in a relatively new market out of the country. Sure, attendance isn't great, but it's not terrible either, and the team hasn't been around for all that long.
Also, I think its unlikely that Balsille has any desire to move them to KC or any other US city, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Based on this, I'd say its far from a sure thing that this team is going to move. And I think it would be a shame if the NHL lets them go.

st5801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Hey guys, cheer up! Maybe this move will work out for you guys. I mean, the guy does have a lot of money. Nashville and its fan base is growing every year...possibly that could convince him to stay! And even if he wants to move, I am sure that the NHL will do anything in its power to stop him.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote