HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please for the love of christ no ... don't do it Liepold

Old
05-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Jori

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Hoping for the best for you guys

Old
05-23-2007, 11:44 PM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
This is BS.

It sure was fun to have the NHL here. Fun to watch Kariya, Forsberg, Arnott play here. And to see Legwand, Hartnell, Timonen, Vokoun all grow up here.

I never trusted this guy when he was trying to buy the Pens. And I really don't trust him now. I don't understand how Leipold could sell the team to this Balsillie. Leipold saw first hand how Balsille wanted to move the Pens and he was there in the Board of Governors to help stop him from moving the Pens. And now Leipold is falling for the same scam here!!

I think this deal must have been in the works for a long time. The Blackberry Guys have been around the arena giving out stuff at the door with a jersey giveaway or something. I always said no when they tried to give me stuff because of the whole Penguins deal.

But I do have to say I agree with what the guys on 104 said. Leipold had said on numerous occassions that he wanted a LOCAL investor to buy up to 40% of the team, but no one in this stupid town stepped up to the plate. If the Preds leave then the local businesses will be sorry. The Sounds might leave, the Preds might leave and we'll be stuck with the Titans for 8 games a year and the Kats who don't draw well anyways. Just as Bud Adams wants, to be the only team in town. Downtown is going to turn back into the crackhouse it used to be before the Preds came to town.

The mayor, wimpy as he may be, needs to step up and do something. Get on the phone to the NHL and this guy.

I just don't understand this. The team has been planning all this 10 year anniversary stuff and now they're being sold. We go out and get the Sports Authority to give us a new jumbotron, we trade for Peter Forsberg, we're going after FA's, we resign the coaches, we get a new naming partner for the arena. And now the team gets sold. It just doesn't add up. I think we all got played for a fool here.

I know it doesn't automatically mean they're moving, but if they aren't, then Leipold and Balsille need to get here and tell everyone that they are staying here (not that that would aside any fears).

If they are gone, this season is going to suck. Attendance will be less than 5000 every game, no FA's will sign here, Hartnell and all them will be gone.

Balsille and Leipold....YOU SUCK!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 11:46 PM
bflohockeygirl
homesick sabres fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Great, first I have to live through Peter Karmanos buying the Whalers with no intentions of making it work in Hartford, now I get to live through Jim Balsillie purchasing the Predators.
That's just what I was thinking, and why I really hate to hear all the "fans need to step up to the plate & prove they want their team" garbage - if someone buys a team with no intention of keeping it where it is, it doesn't matter what the fans do.

That said...I really hope the league doesn't let him do what I think he wants to do. Keeping my fingers crossed for Preds fans that they're serious about getting/keeping their newer markets healthy.

Study hard. Be evil.
bflohockeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 11:46 PM
X0ssbar

Just flat out lousy news. Went to my first Preds game in Nashville this year and loved arena, city, atmosphere...heck I loved it so much I didn't even mind my Jackets getting beat (again)....

I put myself in your shoes and you can't really sugarcoat it... this news blows

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Jarnberg

I want to say thanks for all the other teams fans who have stopped buy and offered kind words. I was harsh when I suggested that the fans on the boards would be licking their chops. There is a large group who have been giving our fans, city and team nothing but crap for a very long time and we've had to defend our fans, city and team alot. I'd like to think perhaps they'll feel fulfilled when the Predators leave, but they'll likely continue and find another market to bash until the NHL somehow meets their desired idea of a league. But again, to those with kind words, thanks again. I've been a huge fan of not just my team, but every team, the sport, the NHL fans and everything. I'll still follow the NHL, but it will be hard to see guys like Legwand, Vokoun, Radulov, Weber, etc. all suiting up for another franchise competing for the Stanley Cup.

I'd love to think we have a hope of keeping our team, but theres no chance in my opinion. This new owner has had bad news written all over him since he tried to buy and possibly move the Penguins (something I was TOTALLY against). He'll likely claim to want to keep the team here, but the "out-clause" will be evoked and the man will do nothing to improve attendance (through marketing, free agent signings, corporate selling etc.). He'll then point at our bad season and move the team so he can have his dream.

If the numbers reported in this thread are true, I doubt a guy would pay that much just to keep the team in this city.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Other Little Mikey

I'm not going to lie, I'm not a Preds fan. But I remember the 90s here all too clearly so I feel very uneasy about finding any pleasure in something like this, no matter how much I'd like to see another Canadian team.

I'd hate to see the team moved to another city where it might not do any better, and I think there are other franchises in bigger trouble than the Preds. At least you guys have a good team.

I guess what I'm trying to say (badly) is I'm sorry. I know how much it sucks for the true fans.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:35 AM
ARS

You guys deserve better

edit: But the Predators are still the NASHVILLE Predators so you can't lose hope yet

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:36 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
This is BS.

It sure was fun to have the NHL here. Fun to watch Kariya, Forsberg, Arnott play here. And to see Legwand, Hartnell, Timonen, Vokoun all grow up here.

I never trusted this guy when he was trying to buy the Pens. And I really don't trust him now. I don't understand how Leipold could sell the team to this Balsillie. Leipold saw first hand how Balsille wanted to move the Pens and he was there in the Board of Governors to help stop him from moving the Pens. And now Leipold is falling for the same scam here!!

I think this deal must have been in the works for a long time. The Blackberry Guys have been around the arena giving out stuff at the door with a jersey giveaway or something. I always said no when they tried to give me stuff because of the whole Penguins deal.

But I do have to say I agree with what the guys on 104 said. Leipold had said on numerous occassions that he wanted a LOCAL investor to buy up to 40% of the team, but no one in this stupid town stepped up to the plate. If the Preds leave then the local businesses will be sorry. The Sounds might leave, the Preds might leave and we'll be stuck with the Titans for 8 games a year and the Kats who don't draw well anyways. Just as Bud Adams wants, to be the only team in town. Downtown is going to turn back into the crackhouse it used to be before the Preds came to town.

The mayor, wimpy as he may be, needs to step up and do something. Get on the phone to the NHL and this guy.

I just don't understand this. The team has been planning all this 10 year anniversary stuff and now they're being sold. We go out and get the Sports Authority to give us a new jumbotron, we trade for Peter Forsberg, we're going after FA's, we resign the coaches, we get a new naming partner for the arena. And now the team gets sold. It just doesn't add up. I think we all got played for a fool here.

I know it doesn't automatically mean they're moving, but if they aren't, then Leipold and Balsille need to get here and tell everyone that they are staying here (not that that would aside any fears).

If they are gone, this season is going to suck. Attendance will be less than 5000 every game, no FA's will sign here, Hartnell and all them will be gone.

Balsille and Leipold....YOU SUCK!
Well said 303, well said.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Higgy4

I just want to know that most Wings fans are behind you guys 100%. Nashville is a great city, and the prospects are there for a long time successful NHL franchise.

Not to mention, the rivalry between the Preds and Wings is really getting to be terrific.

I for one hope you guys stay put.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 01:03 AM
1datsyuk3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
I just want to know that most Wings fans are behind you guys 100%. Nashville is a great city, and the prospects are there for a long time successful NHL franchise.

Not to mention, the rivalry between the Preds and Wings is really getting to be terrific.

I for one hope you guys stay put.
+1

im a die-hard wings fan that attends the university of tennessee (long story) and make it out to Nash to catch a few games every once and a while and it would suck to lose you guys....

and it would suck to not be able to talk **** to my buddys who are big preds fans anymore...

1datsyuk3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 01:07 AM
wicker

I hope this doesn't happen. You'd think large fan bases grow on trees. Nashville needs a chance to actually show its teeth and stand up, and it's been slowly happening, so moving the team wouldn't make sense. I'm going to keep positive about this for as long as I can, though.

I hope your team stays put, because the fans certainly don't deserve this.

Last edited by wicker: 05-24-2007 at 01:15 AM.
wicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Jeff Goldblum

You have the support of the entire Penguins fanbase that is from Pittsburgh, and most of the others as well. There is hope.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 01:25 AM
pdxshark
@jmbradd

as much as i'd like the "portland predators", I hate relocation. I have never really liked the southern US having hockey, for whatever reason, but you guys have shown you deserve hockey and are great fans. People saying "its up to the fans" you are dead wrong, they get plenty of fan support, they just lack corporate support, thats the key. Sorry to all the preds fans on this board, you deserve better.

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris the Blade View Post
You have the support of the entire Penguins fanbase that is from Pittsburgh, and most of the others as well. There is hope.
Yeah, this is important. I would say 95 % of NHL fans support you guys. The ones who don't either A.) want a NHL team for themselves or B.) are "traditionalists" or whatever. I truly believe that this market can succeed.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 01:39 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville108 View Post
its done in Nashville anyway. If he has no intentions of keeping them here why should anyone put money in his pockets by going to games?
He can't invoke the opt-out clause if you sell a certain number of tickets...

By the way, does anyone know for sure that he will move this team?

The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 01:43 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs4thecup View Post
He can't invoke the opt-out clause if you sell a certain number of tickets...

No, but optimism seems inappropriate right now. He wanted to move the Penguins, I don't see why we're any different.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs4thecup View Post
We haven't seen any comments from the new owner yet, however a press conference is scheduled for tomorrow, where I'm sure he'll speak. Its probably likely he'll announce his goal is to keep the team here, but judging how he handled the Penguins situation, its plausible to suggest his goal is to move the team. Especially when you see comments from Leipold which suggest the team is here next season, but he can't guarantee anything after that point.

The deal likely won't get done in time for the deadline to evoke the Out Clause with the city, so Leipold will probably play the roll of bad guy and evoke the clause. Then the new owner can use it as an excuse to leave after he tells Poile he cannot sign free agents, he cuts off corporate sales, does away with marketing and basically ensures we will not reach our now required attendance figure.

This guy is a very successful businessman; he'll know how to get what he wants.

Old
05-24-2007, 01:49 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
We haven't seen any comments from the new owner yet, however a press conference is scheduled for tomorrow, where I'm sure he'll speak. Its probably likely he'll announce his goal is to keep the team here, but judging how he handled the Penguins situation, its plausible to suggest his goal is to move the team. Especially when you see comments from Leipold which suggest the team is here next season, but he can't guarantee anything after that point.

The deal likely won't get done in time for the deadline to evoke the Out Clause with the city, so Leipold will probably play the roll of bad guy and evoke the clause. Then the new owner can use it as an excuse to leave after he tells Poile he cannot sign free agents, he cuts off corporate sales, does away with marketing and basically ensures we will not reach our now required attendance figure.

This guy is a very successful businessman; he'll know how to get what he wants.
Yeah, that's my take on it. This guy will come out tomorrow and say all the right things, and the more gullible crowd will swallow it eagerly...but I think the more cynical realists know that nothing he says can be trusted.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Jarnberg

This just seems so sudden. Things were looking up again. Season tickets on the rise (price and quantity of purchases), corporate support showing signs of improvement, a new arena naming deal. A year ago we were threatened by blackouts for our playoff games for not selling out every game. This year we had game 5 sell out in 20 minutes.

And to think, if we had just 3 more home playoffs games, the new owner wouldn't be able to move the team for at least 3 seasons.

Old
05-24-2007, 02:24 AM
Wisent

I like the Preds. Hoping they stay.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Damn, its been a rough week..............and now this.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Thinks looked pretty awful for the Pens too, so you never know what could happen. Here's to hoping something sours Balsillie on the deal and the team stays where it belongs.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 03:03 AM
weezman

Send a message via AIM to weezman
Sorry guys. I hope it works out in Nashvilles favor though.

weezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 03:21 AM
KeepitinPitt

Send a message via ICQ to KeepitinPitt Send a message via AIM to KeepitinPitt
As a Pen's fan who had to deal with the same BS a few months earlier, I'm really pulling for you guys. No fan deserves this treatment. Granted I haven't read the entire thread because I just got back and am ready for sleep but before I crash I just wanted to lend my support. Hopefully I skipped a page with some positive news for Nashville. In my opinion, the city has not even had a chance to grow as a hockey market, it makes me wonder how they ever plan on expanding if they are going to pull the carpet out from underneath budding fanbases. Like I said perhaps I'm a bit late on the news but I hope everything works out for you all.

KeepitinPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 03:32 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
This whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach and I can't stop thinking about it.

But I gave myselft a teeny tiny bit of optimism...

I was looking at the RIM website for contact info and I saw that they had a lab or something in Texas. And I thought about how Dell came here. And on Ch.4 the reporter tried to ask Leipold about this deal/his involvement in the team as Leipold went to have dinner at the Palm tonight and his response was something to the effect of "you'll see."

Then I found this in the Sommet article on np.com:
Quote:
The Sommet Group and the Predators will also create a community-based initiative through the Predators Foundation that will both improve technology in underserved communities and schools, and which will place internet-ready computers in kiosks at nursing homes so that residents can stay in close touch with their families.
http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...?story_id=1364

So I got to thinking maybe the Blackberry people are going to bring some kind of business here and be involved in the implementation of this initiative, thus making them a local owner and not some greedy snake in the grass.

I know, I'm really reaching here, but I just can't belive Leipold could be such a 2-faced liar after all these years.

Maybe the NHL and BOG will stop this sale....for the good of league.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote