HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackberry toss...

Old
05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
PredDave

vCash: 500
Blackberry toss...

A friend here at work says next season he and a few others are going to stop throwing catfish on the ice and begin throwing broken Blackberries instead.

The ice will be littered with broken mobile phone pieces created by Jim Balsillie himself.

I guess honestly we should be throwing Kimberly-Clark products (Leipold's money maker) as he is the bigger bad guy in this transaction. What a smug, grinning liar!!! I can't fault him for quadrupling his money, but why lie to us blatantly???

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
A friend here at work says next season he and a few others are going to stop throwing catfish on the ice and begin throwing broken Blackberries instead.

The ice will be littered with broken mobile phone pieces created by Jim Balsillie himself.

I guess honestly we should be throwing Kimberly-Clark products (Leipold's money maker) as he is the bigger bad guy in this transaction. What a smug, grinning liar!!! I can't fault him for quadrupling his money, but why lie to us blatantly???
Why hate Leipold or even Balisille who is a go getter extraordinaire? Leipold has been pretty honest for 10 years...He said he would get free agents after a few years of good drafting ...and he did! (Kariya, Arnott, Dumont) ...he acquired Sullivan.....and he acquired Peter Forsberg for a playoff run. He said he needed help with corporate seats years ago, that the individual fan support has been good. He publicly offered to sell smaller shares of this team to local interest.....nothing! He asked to sporting counsel for help....nothing! I don't blame Leipold one bit. I blame a city that was sticking out it's tongue saying we are a sports city unlike Atlanta.....well look at us now folks....bye bye pro golf events in the city, we are close to losing the Sounds... and probably the Preds. And over 12% of the nights of the year there is an event with over 12,000 downtown....many of whom are patrons of local business. ...thanks to this hockey team. This city just does not care; let's see how they feel when these entities are all gone.

Sucks. I am pissed at this city right now more than anything. They should be on their knees to Balisille right now...

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
Why hate Leipold or even Balisille who is a go getter extraordinaire? Leipold has been pretty honest for 10 years...He said he would get free agents after a few years of good drafting ...and he did! (Kariya, Arnott, Dumont) ...he acquired Sullivan.....and he acquired Peter Forsberg for a playoff run. He said he needed help with corporate seats years ago, that the individual fan support has been good. He publicly offered to sell smaller shares of this team to local interest.....nothing! He asked to sporting counsel for help....nothing! I don't blame Leipold one bit. I blame a city that was sticking out it's tongue saying we are a sports city unlike Atlanta.....well look at us now folks....bye bye pro golf events in the city, we are close to losing the Sounds... and probably the Preds. And over 12% of the nights of the year there is an event with over 12,000 downtown....many of whom are patrons of local business. ...thanks to this hockey team. This city just does not care; let's see how they feel when these entities are all gone.

Sucks. I am pissed at this city right now more than anything. They should be on their knees to Balisille right now...
yeah **** this city ... I hope the Titanics move now ... I'll never watch another game of that sad sack of a franchise ... and if/when the Preds move I hope everyone leaves this town ... because it is a piece of **** spineless bunch of hacks at the Sports Council/Titanseean/Corporate Sector can all go play in traffic for all I care

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Are blackberries a real fruit? 'Cause that's a lot better than throwing actual broken phones on the ice

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuddy View Post
Are blackberries a real fruit? 'Cause that's a lot better than throwing actual broken phones on the ice
yes they are and I expect that all grocery stores in the local area will be wondering to themselves what the hell is going on when all Ticket Holders buy a box or two

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 12:29 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
yes they are and I expect that all grocery stores in the local area will be wondering to themselves what the hell is going on when all Ticket Holders buy a box or two
I love it

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:14 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Honestly, a quick run of the Predators financials since inception shows that the Leipold only earned around 6-7% on his $80 million investment. Over that same time frame, he could have easily earned 12%. Similar sized portfolios that I've worked on have acheived much more than that over the same time frame. By my count, he's broke even on the value of the franchise and lost roughly $60-70 million when it all settles down.

While I don't think he's exactly the good guy in this situation, he's hardly making out like a bandit. His money would have likely been MUCH better spent elsewhere.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:59 PM
nashtrash25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Honestly, a quick run of the Predators financials since inception shows that the Leipold only earned around 6-7% on his $80 million investment. Over that same time frame, he could have easily earned 12%. Similar sized portfolios that I've worked on have acheived much more than that over the same time frame. By my count, he's broke even on the value of the franchise and lost roughly $60-70 million when it all settles down.

While I don't think he's exactly the good guy in this situation, he's hardly making out like a bandit. His money would have likely been MUCH better spent elsewhere.
OK, but it's impossible to compare owning a pro sports franchise with other investments.

In this day and age, the people who should be owning teams are those that do it because it's something they enjoy/ego/competition.

If you NEED to make 12%, you shouldn't buy a team.

nashtrash25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:04 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtrash25 View Post
OK, but it's impossible to compare owning a pro sports franchise with other investments.

In this day and age, the people who should be owning teams are those that do it because it's something they enjoy/ego/competition.

If you NEED to make 12%, you shouldn't buy a team.
No arguments with any of this. I've stood up against the likelihood of Dell or Nissan becoming a part owner of the Preds for this very reason.

My point is simply this. People are suggesting that Leipold is making out like a bandit. I'm merely saying that he's hardly doing that. That's why it's relevant to compare investments to sports franchises. Simply put, he's barely breaking even on this investment even using weak rates of returns normally associated with owning sports franchises.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:03 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
Could you imagine the ice being all purple. I live in Victoria BC, and they grow everywhere. I could send you a box or two for the coming season.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
If the season is ending and it is painfully obvious that we won't be averaging the 14k, I will participate in some shenanigans. Blackberries will make a nice deep red mess on the ice, signifying a cruel and violent death to the Nashville Predators and their fans.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Nashville108*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
If the season is ending and it is painfully obvious that we won't be averaging the 14k, I will participate in some shenanigans. Blackberries will make a nice deep red mess on the ice, signifying a cruel and violent death to the Nashville Predators and their fans.
LOL. If this turns into a "Major League" situation with the team being gutted, I'll enjoy the 10 dollar on the glass seats and just heckle everyone on the ice.

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 02:53 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuddy View Post
They sure are. I friggen love blackberries, especially blackberry pie.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Upchuck19

Quote:

Blaming Leipold is the dumpiest thing I have ever heard, he is a business man and he looks to be making a profit. Isn't that what people are in business for?

How do you know he is lying, someone gave him a offer sheet for $220M and he is taking the money. That's what I call a good buisness man.

Leipold is selling the Preds, what the new owner does with the team is none of Leipold's business!

Upchuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:47 AM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19 View Post
Blaming Leipold is the dumpiest thing I have ever heard, he is a business man and he looks to be making a profit. Isn't that what people are in business for?

How do you know he is lying, someone gave him a offer sheet for $220M and he is taking the money. That's what I call a good buisness man.

Leipold is selling the Preds, what the new owner does with the team is none of Leipold's business!
After stewing over this for a couple of days, I have re-evaluated my feelings. I am not mad at Leipold for selling -- I would do it too if I lost that much money as well... (I still think he's making out a lot better than a 6-7% ROI)

I seem to remember conflicting reports during the early years of the franchise -- Predators lose millions, but Powers Management has a nice profit. They kept crying poverty for deep losses on the "team" side of the business, but secretly made millions on the Powers Management side of the business (also owned by Leipold) which governed anything not directly associated to team player & equipment costs (i.e., concessions, arena usage fees, etc).

However, I am furious that Leipold couldn't surround himself with a better marketing staff. The whole lack of corporate support thing just ticks me off to no end. Sure, the Titanssean newsrag probably contributed to potential businesses and fans to turn away, but why not sell your product a little better?

I guess it's not completely hopeless or over until the fat lady sings, but I still run into folks here at work that were not even aware of Nashville having a hockey team. Very sad.

</soapbox>

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:40 PM
cantskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf View Post

The voice of reason in an emotion-laden thread.

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote