HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

KEEP THE PREDS IN NASHVILLE, the official thread--we need your help!

Old
05-24-2007, 09:47 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
i am not as familiar with the preds situation, so in order to go about this the right way, i'm wondering if anyone can explain exactlywhat is the problem in nashville, and what must happen to give the preds the best chance in staying. if we can clearly identify those two things, everyone will have a much better idea where to focus their efforts.

for the pens it was obvious they needed an arena. that was the only obstacle(though it was a huge one). pens fans knew where to direct their thoughts, and the local politicians heard from pens fans in a big way.

so is it the local businesses that preds fans need to bother to buy season tickets? just more fans in general? what is the 7 year agreement thing about and why can it be voided? any way to prevent it?

just trying to get a better feel for what's really going on.
The problem is and has been corporate support. You can usually discredit the opponents of the Predators that point to things like, "the team has no fans." In truth, the season ticket base on a fan level is in the upper portion of the league. Since early in their time in Nashville, the Predators have lost a lot of the corporate tickets they once held, and the fact that not a lot of companies have filled the void is what has hurt our attendance so much. However, things seemed to be up the upswing...until this. This will undoubtedly hurt the public perception of the team to businesses and a lot of "casual fans." It will be difficult to sell corporate packages when so many media outlets are reporting the sale like it goes hand-in-hand with surefire relocation.

The way that the lease can be voided is IF the owner opts for a "cure season," which would have to occur before June 16. If he does so, next season will be watched...and if the team does not average 14K paid, the city has the option of making up the difference(and keeping the lease intact) or refusing..which would automatically invalidate the lease.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:25 PM
vopatsrash

There is a Nashville mayoral election on August 2nd. I don't know who the most Preds-friendly candidate is, but I know Briley is probably the least Preds-friendly.

Anyway, the likely winner is Bob Clement. I couldn't find an email address, but here is his website...

http://www.bobclement.com/index.php

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:26 PM
GernerPSU

Send a message via AIM to GernerPSU
As bad as the situation is, you guys are still lucky. Even if Jim is determined to move the team, which I'm not certain he is, you guys can still fight back. Do everything you can and be empowered and happy you still have a word in how things go down. Once the season starts, if you can get the news and other outlets involved, I don't see how businesses wouldn't want to jump on this type of thing. (From what I hear the corporate support is the main problem.) This could end up being a blessing in disguise.

GernerPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernerPSU View Post
As bad as the situation is, you guys are still lucky. Even if Jim is determined to move the team, which I'm not certain he is, you guys can still fight back. Do everything you can and be empowered and happy you still have a word in how things go down. Once the season starts, if you can get the news and other outlets involved, I don't see how businesses wouldn't want to jump on this type of thing. (From what I hear the corporate support is the main problem.) This could end up being a blessing in disguise.
I appreciate your optimism and while I won't say your wrong, I will say this. If the guy wants to move the team, he will. Even if businesses get fired up and want to keep the team, what happens when they call and no one answers the phone? What happens when he simply comps tickets way before the game to "sell out" games, forcing our paid attendance to dip below 14,000.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Being a Winnipeg fan who had to see my Jets fly south, I'm not usually a proponent for hockey in non-hockey climates. Irrational dislike sort of thing.

But more than that, I hate to see any true hockey fans lose their team.

I'm in.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Levizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I appreciate your optimism and while I won't say your wrong, I will say this. If the guy wants to move the team, he will. Even if businesses get fired up and want to keep the team, what happens when they call and no one answers the phone? What happens when he simply comps tickets way before the game to "sell out" games, forcing our paid attendance to dip below 14,000.
If it goes this far I'm pretty sure the city of Nashville can probably sue to prevent the team from moving. There has to be something illegal about using unethical means to break a lease agreement, although I'm no lawyer.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Transported Upstater

I'm here for the fight.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I'd say everyone here is with you.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
like thirty people will read it but I blogged about it and linked to the threads here at HF and provided the contact info for Bettman. And if I find myself in Nashville this fall/winter, I'll get tickets.

Good luck folks.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Glad I'm moving to Nashville in a couple of weeks, I'm gonna try my best to fight this battle from the front lines. I'll put out my best sales pitches to the business owners I encounter, and participate in phone/mail/picket/etc. rallies.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:57 PM
predschick

good idea or brain fart?

A thought: Once the deal is done, and Leipold has pocketed an approx $80 million profit, he should buy up enough unsold tickets to put us over the minimum. He has been promising not to negotiate with someone who would move the team. He has said many times how much he loves Nashville and the fans here. If he feels so bad (and yes, I know, how could he turn down such an offer?), he can make it up to us. Anyone know how to contact him?

More realistically, of course, area businesses need to see how their own bottom lines will be affected. I remember vaguely a study done a few years ago that calculated the financial impact the team's presence has on the area's economy. Anyone remember that, or know how to find it?

Most people seem to think the only businesses impacted are the ones on Lower Broad, because they profit directly in the form of increased business on game nights. But the presence of the team makes our city more attractive to corporate relocations, increases our visibility around the country, makes us a multi-sport professional city. Even people who aren't sports fans can appreciate that it makes us a more cosmopolitan city. We just need to prove to the corporations who are benefitting from this image and presence that their bottom-lines will suffer if the team leaves. Maybe if we can find that study and bring it back to visibility - maybe even mass mail it! - just maybe, along with a passionately vocal fan base, we can sell enough tickets to spoil Basillie's plans. And if not, then see my first idea.

predschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Jarnberg

I think this thread is a fantastic idea. In fact, I can easily see this thread being a great resource for Nashville fans and perhaps out of towners who care to perhaps try to make a slight difference. Even if we get one person to buy a ticket to try to keep the team here, we've done well. I don't want to hijack your thread, so let me know if I'm stepping over your toes. But I could easily see this thread as a grassroots to help get some people involved.

We'd need contact information on not only some NHL officials (already started in this thread), but some politicians' contact information as well.

Perhaps we can come up with a generic template or a start to a letter that people can send. Or an e-mail. Perhaps we can come up with a letter or memo that we can put up on here and NP.com which can be printed out and handed out to whoever. There are alot of great posters and writers on these boards who can probably whip up stuff.

We all know what this owner's intentions are, whether he flat out tells us or not. Our only way to guarantee hockey for at least the next few years is to stick it to him and get 14,000. I know he'll probably try to lame duck us and comp tickets and all that jazz. But I'll be able to rest easily if I know we all went out with a bang and at least tried something.

And even if we are unsuccessful, the TEAM needs our support. We can point fingers at Leipold, Mr.Blackberry, ourselves, but not at our team. They fully deserve more than we've given and it would be a shame to not support them now because of the new owner.

Again, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but I can easily see this thread being used for a really good cause. And perhaps that is your intention all along.

We all have to do something. And if that means just one more ticket sold, we've at least tried.

Volunteers?

Old
05-25-2007, 12:16 AM
predschick

Hey, Stranger, I'm with you.

If the NHL, the Mayor, Metro Council, and prominent businesses (where was our new resident, Nissan, this past season?) get blanketed in mail/email from ordinary fans, rather than phone calls from Preds sales people, think how much more impact it would have.

Got to get some sleep, but I'll be doing some homework, too. Hopefully have some contact info for some of the above on here tomorrow, if someone else doesn't beat me to it!

predschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:18 AM
FanaticalFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I agree with that.

Can anyone find any pertinent e-mails of Nashville city people? Bredesen might be a good person to contact as well, given the role he played in bringing the team to Nashville to begin with.

It is important to find out anyone involved with the arena bond, if there was one, that is who you need to pressure. As well as your mayor. And when he said letters, he meant pen and paper with a stamp type letter, that is what is given the most importance. From least to most important e-mail(only slightly more credence then spam) then phone calls and most important stamped letters.

FanaticalFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Jarnberg

Old
05-25-2007, 12:56 AM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
I'll do what I can to help you guys out.

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:33 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Nashville's failure is the poster child for Bettman's expansion failure. Any possible sympathy I might have was lost after the team provided a crucial vote against fixing the East/West non-schedule debacle this past winter.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Nashville's failure is the poster child for Bettman's expansion failure. Any possible sympathy I might have was lost after the team provided a crucial vote against fixing the East/West non-schedule debacle this past winter.
Couldn't you have picked one of the 30 other threads on these boards to say this?

Read the FIRST POST. Here, I'll save you some time:

Quote:
Last thing...(this from nomorekids)

TROLLING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED IN THIS THREAD. Any "move them!" or "you don't deserve a team anyway" type of talk WILL NOT BE TOLERATED in this thread. There is a zero-tolerance policy in effect from here on in. You've been warned.

Old
05-25-2007, 01:52 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

While I'm in Taiwan there's not a whole lot I can do besides email and even mail some letters off to people who will listen. Beyond that I was thinking that I could buy a couple tickets for opening night for my wife and myself and maybe one of you fine folks could give them to a friend to use in place of us, just an idea.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:53 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I don't quite see my post as trolling but we're all allowed our own opinions.

I think it's a fair statement that Nashville earned itself no friends among Western Conference owners after voting against changing the schedule last winter to correct Lou's disastrous "more division games will hype up the rivalries" schedule change.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:54 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:

I think it's a fair statement that Nashville earned itself no friends among Western Conference owners after voting against changing the schedule last winter to correct Lou's disastrous "more division games will hype up the rivalries" schedule change.
Right, and Nashville was the only team that voted against the schedule change.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:56 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:

Its not about what your opinion is, but rather where you are posting it. I believe the OP's idea is to use this thread to possibly post links and ideas to help fans alert the necessary people to our situation and perhaps get the ball rolling to ensure we keep our team.

You are entitled to your opinion, but please post it in another thread.

Old
05-25-2007, 01:56 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
I also wrote a letter to Bettman:

Mr Bettman,

I first want to start out thanking you for putting a team in Nashville. It took a lot of guts, and I am sure in the end, you will see it was not a bad decision.

It may come to your surprise that this city has embraced hockey more than we all realize. Nashville is a city that has a lot of businesses that do not support MANY local events. I am not just talking about the Predators, but also concerts (Riverstages and Dancing in the District).

While I am not here to bash the businesses; it is ALL THEIR FAULT for the ruining of the Predators franchise in the past few years. Our fanbase here is amazing. Id say one of the tops in the League. But the problem lies in the local community. Not the younger than 35 years old group, but the older people who will not give hockey a chance in the Corporate World.

The NHL MUST realize that hockey is succeeding here. You need to go to ANY elementary school, high school, or college in town and you will see MORE Predators jersey's than Titans or any other sport in general. This younger generation loves the sport and really see's how great of a sport it truly is. Once this younger generation grows up, gets jobs and families, these people WILL buy tickets for themselves and their family members. The problem is: Nashville has not had the time.

As for me, I graduate college in December. I can not afford season tickets as of this date (because i do not have a job that i make that kind of money YET). There are MANY MANY MANY like me who are in the exact same situation in this city. While many businessesmen in this city may not go to work the next day and talk about the Predators game around the water-cooler, kids at school DO talk about it. Just give the NHL a chance in Nashville and let this younger generation grow-up, get a job, and then watch as the tickets will sell themselves to the generation that loves hockey in this area.

Thanks,

Brian Fisher
E-Mail: utmfisher19@hotmail.com

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 03:36 AM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Please emphasize the point that grass-roots hockey is growing like the poster above me did.

I am with you guys. Good luck with this!

Quote:
How can any one team be blamed for the crucial vote? If anyone blame Ottawa and Montreal for sellout their Canadian brethren and also voting against change.

Anyways, expansion is not "Bettman's plan". It was mandated by the Board of Governors before he even came on board, and the NHL was already at 26 teams when he started his post.

Also, expansion is not a failure, it is working. The problem is posters like you are being impatient and expecting immediate results when a cultural change like this is expected to take take decades, not years. You get youth involved and familiar with the sport and they become the next generation's ticket-buyers, and eventually start taking their kids and then grandkids to the games - but it takes time!

Former Predator Cliff Ronning was on local radio today expressing sadness at a potential move and stated himself that he thinks the city is about 3-4 years away from becoming a really good long-term hockey market, especially since youth hockey is booming there, and I will take his informed opinion over your uninformed one on expansion success.

Last edited by Jazz: 05-25-2007 at 03:46 AM.
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 05:16 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....705250421/1028

This article has some encouraging points(Sommet and other big business players issuing a call to action, doing their part to encourage local businesses, etc) and then validates some of our fears(some businesses unsure about continued sponsorship until they see what Balsillie's plans are with the team).

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote