HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q&A with Michael Sauer

Old
05-24-2007, 08:45 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Q&A with Michael Sauer

Sauer talks about the Memorial Cup, playing with Kris Russell and his future.

Read full article...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 08:59 PM
ZombieMatt

Just to editorialize a bit, I hadn't seen Sauer play live before this tournament and after last night's game I definitely came away impressed. He is simply exactly as advertised (a steady defensive d-man) and absolutely nothing more. The only time he got himself into a little trouble was making a bad decision to pinch at the offensive blueline. Defensively though he's in all the right places at all the right times and makes the easy, simple play to get it out of danger. Him and Kris Russell are the #1 and #2 reasons they beat the Giants last night, period. They completely shut down the Giants impressive group of forwards and blocked probably a dozen shots between them.

ZombieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 09:10 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis View Post
Just to editorialize a bit, I hadn't seen Sauer play live before this tournament and after last night's game I definitely came away impressed. He is simply exactly as advertised (a steady defensive d-man) and absolutely nothing more. The only time he got himself into a little trouble was making a bad decision to pinch at the offensive blueline. Defensively though he's in all the right places at all the right times and makes the easy, simple play to get it out of danger. Him and Kris Russell are the #1 and #2 reasons they beat the Giants last night, period. They completely shut down the Giants impressive group of forwards and blocked probably a dozen shots between them.
You make it sound like that's a bad thing!

Sorry to nitpick - most Rangers' fans don't know him, but those of us on these boards are anxiously awaiting his appearance in training camp next year.

One always wonders if our organizational rankings suffer because so much of our quality is in the form of defensively adept D-men.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 09:12 PM
ZombieMatt

Sorry, not at all meant to be a negative. I was just trying to hammer home that he's a true stay-at-homer for the most part (and the offensive game he does have will likely not be a factor at higher levels).

Old
05-24-2007, 10:17 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
most Rangers' fans don't know him, but those of us on these boards are anxiously awaiting his appearance in training camp next year.
He truly is one of the bigger enigma's in the system. If he can be what most of us think that he can be (even the cynical me), then the Rangers will have quite the stable of very good young defensemen. Sauer, though on this I am skeptical, has been said to have more natural ability than Staal. Both play in all situations, which I love. Both take care of their own end quite nicely, which I love even more. I think that he is going to get a few years to season his game in Hartford, but he could be as good as any. And isn't that a nice thought.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:20 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
He truly is one of the bigger enigma's in the system. If he can be what most of us think that he can be (even the cynical me), then the Rangers will have quite the stable of very good young defensemen. Sauer, though on this I am skeptical, has been said to have more natural ability than Staal. Both play in all situations, which I love. Both take care of their own end quite nicely, which I love even more. I think that he is going to get a few years to season his game in Hartford, but he could be as good as any. And isn't that a nice thought.
i have heard the first thing as well, and i would also like some clarification on that.. who said that and why?

also, the 2nd thing is a sentiment with which really agree, however i'd be wary of him turning into a Baranka.. solid, yet injured and fading away when he should be getting a chance. after all this, another guy takes his place (Girardi).. i feel if, and hopefully, our "stable" of d-,men comes through........ actually i'd rather wait and see..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:27 AM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
i have heard the first thing as well, and i would also like some clarification on that.. who said that and why?

also, the 2nd thing is a sentiment with which really agree, however i'd be wary of him turning into a Baranka.. solid, yet injured and fading away when he should be getting a chance. after all this, another guy takes his place (Girardi).. i feel if, and hopefully, our "stable" of d-,men comes through........ actually i'd rather wait and see..

Personally, I think Baranka has a future with the big club despite his injury problems. It may be as a 5-6 Dman instead of a 3-4 but either way I think we'll see him. As far as Sauer I wouldn't worry. The kid is destine for great things and will be a top 5 for this team by 2009 IMHO...

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:32 AM
eco's bones

Baranka and Sauer seem almost to mirror each other. Some of the same things were said about Baranka when he played for Everett--that there was an offensive game ready to bust out--but it never quite has. He does seem to handle the puck well and put in some points here and there. The other thing they both have had injury problems. I think both are still pretty much in the picture.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Ola

Like TB said, when Sauer was drafted he was said to have more offensive skills then Marc Staal, don't remember where or by who though. Wouldn't put much weight on it.

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the report.

Got a few question, what side does he play?

How is his skating?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 06:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sauer played the PP in Portland and was used in more offensive situations with the Hawks.In Medicine Hat,Sauer is paired with Kris Russell who is an offensive minded defenseman

Sauer could be Mike Van Ryn.A right handed shooting two way D.Van Ryn's offensive numbers were nothing until he joined the Panthers

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 07:42 AM
SML

Am I the only one who got a negative feeling from that article? IMO, statements like "I guess I'm with the Rangers" and "I imagine" the camp will be like last year make me worry a bit. I just hope the organization is doing everything it can to let these kids know where they stand and they have to keep in touch with them so they don't feel like they are twisting in the wind.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 08:13 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Am I the only one who got a negative feeling from that article? IMO, statements like "I guess I'm with the Rangers" and "I imagine" the camp will be like last year make me worry a bit. I just hope the organization is doing everything it can to let these kids know where they stand and they have to keep in touch with them so they don't feel like they are twisting in the wind.
i felt a bit similar when reading those parts, but at the same time i wouldn't put too much weight into the exact words used by a 20-year old (not as well versed in "interview speak")in an interview given while focusing on the Memorial Cup, etc.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Nich

baranka and sauer.....mmm buek squared....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:15 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
I was thinking the same

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 10:25 AM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Like TB said, when Sauer was drafted he was said to have more offensive skills then Marc Staal, don't remember where or by who though. Wouldn't put much weight on it.

Thanks a ton for the report.

Got a few question, what side does he play?

How is his skating?
He's been on the right side the majority of the time I've seen him with MH. His skating is okay, not great. Footwork is solid, acceleration could get a little bit better - but I personally don't think skating is a huge issue for him. But then again, he's paired with one of the best skaters in junior hockey, so it's a little difficult to judge definitively.

Old
05-25-2007, 10:26 AM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Purely my speculation, but I think that was just him trying to play down the future in the middle of a major tournament for his junior team.

Old
05-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Purely my speculation, but I think that was just him trying to play down the future in the middle of a major tournament for his junior team.
Thats how i read it, cause I try not to look too deep for the meaning of life in every interview.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 04:16 PM
NYR469

Quote:
you are reading way way way way way way way way too much into this. there is NOTHING negative to be drawn from his comments, unless you are looking to make something sound negative.

the rangers are in touch with the prospects all the time during the season but there is a thing call priorities and when a kid is facing the memorial cup finals in a few days, what the rangers want him to do in july or august is NOT a priority.

seriously who gives a flying f#ck if he has been told what the plans are for the summer or what week the prospect camp will be. he's under contract and he'll report to the camp when the rangers tell him end of story. you try to twist it like the kid doesn't care about his future and is gonna be a bust cause he's not worried about some stupid ass 3 day prospect camp.

you know what would worry me?? if a few days before the most important game of his life, he was focused some stupid 3 day prospect camp and concerned about who is gonna pitch for the mets the night all the prospects get to go to shea instead of worrying about the game.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 04:52 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
you are reading way way way way way way way way too much into this. there is NOTHING negative to be drawn from his comments, unless you are looking to make something sound negative.

the rangers are in touch with the prospects all the time during the season but there is a thing call priorities and when a kid is facing the memorial cup finals in a few days, what the rangers want him to do in july or august is NOT a priority.

seriously who gives a flying f#ck if he has been told what the plans are for the summer or what week the prospect camp will be. he's under contract and he'll report to the camp when the rangers tell him end of story. you try to twist it like the kid doesn't care about his future and is gonna be a bust cause he's not worried about some stupid ass 3 day prospect camp.

you know what would worry me?? if a few days before the most important game of his life, he was focused some stupid 3 day prospect camp and concerned about who is gonna pitch for the mets the night all the prospects get to go to shea instead of worrying about the game.
Slow down buddy... I'm not trying to twist anybody's words into anything, and I never mentioned a single word about anybody being a bust or not caring about their future. What I was trying to suggest is that the Rangers have a less than stellar history of dealing with young players and letting them know where they fit in the plans of the organization, and that I hope they had gotten better about that. So how about you dialing down the hostility a few notches. It's not like I'm the only person who took it that way.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 05:49 PM
The Thomas J.*

Hope he makes it up here & sticks with the big club soon

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote