HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Predators are sold and moved...

View Poll Results: If the Predators are sold and moved
You will still watch and cheer for the new Predators 27 30.00%
You will still watch occasionally, but not fanatically anymore 16 17.78%
You will pick another team in time zone to cheer for 25 27.78%
You will never watch hockey again 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2007, 09:51 AM
  #26
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist
 
TravisUlrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
paid attendance was 13,815 ....but whose counting..
Okay, well according to TSN it was "somewhere closer to 12,000"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=208704&hubname=

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 09:56 AM
  #27
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist
 
TravisUlrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
****ing broken record, WE KNOW THIS ALREADY.
Sorry, this was news to me as I don't frequent the Nashville Predators threads, and I only took interest when this whole sale topic came up. I'm sure it's the kind of thing you don't like to be reminded of though.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:06 AM
  #28
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgeniMarklar View Post
Okay, well according to TSN it was "somewhere closer to 12,000"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=208704&hubname=
And according to local sources, who monitor the numbers given to the Nashville Sports Council, paid attendance was 13,800 last season.

So you believe TSN, who have little to no inside info in Nashville, or a local paper.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:07 AM
  #29
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
The most likely place for a team in southwest Ontario would be somewhere just outside Kitchener-Waterloo. K-W itself is still within the Leafs area (I think the league rules are 65 miles) but putting a team a little down the road, or even in London would still have a pretty big population to draw from.
Were you just on NHL live lol. some guy was just saying this actually.
what 65 mile rule are you talking about ?
are you saying the NHL does not allow teams less the 65 miles apart.
If that is what you are saying then there is no rule like that. there are 3 teams within 40 miles of my house.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:12 AM
  #30
PuckNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
The most likely place for a team in southwest Ontario would be somewhere just outside Kitchener-Waterloo. K-W itself is still within the Leafs area (I think the league rules are 65 miles) but putting a team a little down the road, or even in London would still have a pretty big population to draw from.

Actually RIM bought land outside of Cambridge and is being very quite about what they bought it for. So one would think that Balsille has the destination picked already.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/cam/news/news_792440.html

Man, does this suck for Preds fans....

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:18 AM
  #31
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
Actually RIM bought land outside of Cambridge and is being very quite about what they bought it for. So one would think that Balsille has the destination picked already.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/cam/news/news_792440.html

Man, does this suck for Preds fans....
yep we've seen it.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:24 AM
  #32
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
Sorry. Not trying to upset anyone. I do know what you guys are feeling, and remember when Edmonton was going through the same rumours.
I overreacted, my apologies. Its sad times and everyone is really emotional. It doesn't help that people are chomping at the bit to "break the news" to us.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:26 AM
  #33
PuckNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I overreacted, my apologies. Its sad times and everyone is really emotional. It doesn't help that people are chomping at the bit to "break the news" to us.
I understand man. Definitely sucks for Preds fans, and I hope this doesn't happen. No fan base deserves this crap.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:27 AM
  #34
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Were you just on NHL live lol. some guy was just saying this actually.
what 65 mile rule are you talking about ?
are you saying the NHL does not allow teams less the 65 miles apart.
If that is what you are saying then there is no rule like that. there are 3 teams within 40 miles of my house.
None of those teams were recent expansion franchises.. I assume you're talking about NJ, NYI and NYR.

The rule about 65 miles is that if you want to build your arena within 65 miles you have agree to a settlement fee with the team you're building near, because you're theoretically reducing their fan base and revenue.

What's unclear to me is whether its 65 miles by road, or 65 miles in a straight line. Arguably K-W is outside if using roads, but inside using straight-line distance.

edit: And Cambridge is closer to Toronto than Kitchener or Waterloo.

__________________
This content is hosted here with the objections of the poster.
coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:36 AM
  #35
RollingPredFan
Registered User
 
RollingPredFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
I feel like Ive been punched in the gut, just found out this morning!

I mean, I knew it was possible but I just never thought it would happen, considering they just got the sommet deal.

I don't live in Nashville anymore but was planning on coming and seeing a few games when I visit family.

I just don't know what I'll do. I don't want to support a lame duck franchise, just to have my heart broken, when and if they move.

It would hard not wanting to see if Radulov becomes a superstar, or Weber... but, well I just dont think I could become a waterloo predator fan or whatever LOL

Im new to hockey and fell in love with the Preds, Im traditionally a football guy and love the titans too... and we got them from Houston, so there are some contradictory feelings there. I guess I would give up on hockey but it would be hard not to watch it a little just to see the 'kids' grow up...

Just not sure at the moment

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:39 AM
  #36
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
Im new to hockey and fell in love with the Preds, Im traditionally a football guy and love the titans too... and we got them from Houston, so there are some contradictory feelings there. I guess I would give up on hockey but it would be hard not to watch it a little just to see the 'kids' grow up...
I've heard so many people say the exact same thing. So many people have been converted, its a shame we weren't given a bit more time to see it work out.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:15 AM
  #37
davemess
Registered User
 
davemess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,887
vCash: 500
I hope the NHL steps in for you guys like it did for my Penguins and helps keep the team in Nashville.

Living with this axe waiting to fall is not fun and im sorry another teams fans are having to go through it.

Good luck.

davemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 04:58 PM
  #38
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,090
vCash: 422
As a Penguins fan...here's hoping Balsillie falls through yet again and the day is saved. After what we went through the past few years I wish relocation upon no one. Good luck guys.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 09:47 PM
  #39
Ruffandready*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19 View Post
If the Pred fans can't support a team why can't this guy buy the team and move it to a market that will support?

Buy 14,000 season tickets and he can't move it, pretty freakin simple here boys!

I hope this is a wake up call for the pred fans, but is there enough loyal fans and coprorate suits to give them a base of 14K?
Hell there should be enough ans to fill their arena, They also have some pretty wealthy people there I presume with all the Country Music Stars. I know Reba McEntire and her son Shelby go to the games, I've seen Tim McGraw and Faith Hill as well as others as the camera's zoomed in on them. I hate to see any City lose their team, Kansas won't get another franchise, They didn't support the Scouts when they had them. Although I can't understand why Mile High City could not support the Colorado Rockies moved them and years later got another team The Avalanch.

Ruffandready* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 09:52 PM
  #40
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgeniMarklar View Post
Okay, well according to TSN it was "somewhere closer to 12,000"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=208704&hubname=
That's an example of irresponsible journalism. It's a vaguely written line to back a biased article. Using that line, he could have easily written "somewhere closer to 0." Because 13,815 is closer to 0 than 14,000 is. Just as it's closer to 12,000 than 14,000 is.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:00 PM
  #41
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19 View Post
If the Pred fans can't support a team why can't this guy buy the team and move it to a market that will support?

Buy 14,000 season tickets and he can't move it, pretty freakin simple here boys!

I hope this is a wake up call for the pred fans, but is there enough loyal fans and coprorate suits to give them a base of 14K?
Honestly, if Balsillie wants to move the team, there is little the Predator faithful can do about it. He has two options. He can absolutely dismantle the team and tank the season which would all but guarantee that attendence would be below 14k. Or he could just flat out break the lease and settle the matter with the city in court. He's got deep enough pockets to handle it.

If he wants to move the franchise, the only thing the Predators fans can do is stop showing up if they want to be heard. They could easily put Balsillie $10-20 million in red for the year if the Preds faithful departs en masse. It ain't much, but it'll hurt nonetheless.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:33 PM
  #42
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Honestly, if Balsillie wants to move the team, there is little the Predator faithful can do about it. He has two options. He can absolutely dismantle the team and tank the season which would all but guarantee that attendence would be below 14k. Or he could just flat out break the lease and settle the matter with the city in court. He's got deep enough pockets to handle it.

If he wants to move the franchise, the only thing the Predators fans can do is stop showing up if they want to be heard. They could easily put Balsillie $10-20 million in red for the year if the Preds faithful departs en masse. It ain't much, but it'll hurt nonetheless.
Well since Leipold claims he was already $20 million or so in the red I guess you're proposing maintaining the current fan base?

I understand the disappointment with how the franchise is going and the sale, but you can't seriously expect the team to remain while continuing to bleed money. Unfortunately, even 100% fan attendence probably wouldn't fix it, either.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:38 PM
  #43
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Well since Leipold claims he was already $20 million or so in the red I guess you're proposing maintaining the current fan base?

I understand the disappointment with how the franchise is going and the sale, but you can't seriously expect the team to remain while continuing to bleed money. Unfortunately, even 100% fan attendence probably wouldn't fix it, either.
Honestly, we have no idea how much money Leipold lost. While I'm sure he did infact, lose money, we have no way of knowing exactly how much. I wonder if his numbers include Powers Management.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 10:58 PM
  #44
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Well since Leipold claims he was already $20 million or so in the red I guess you're proposing maintaining the current fan base?

I understand the disappointment with how the franchise is going and the sale, but you can't seriously expect the team to remain while continuing to bleed money. Unfortunately, even 100% fan attendence probably wouldn't fix it, either.
Nice try, smart ass, Leipold wasn't ever $20 million in red during one year. In fact, he didn't even come close. He lost $60 million over roughly 10 years of franchise operation ('97-'07). That doesn't suggest single season losses approaching $20 million.

And my point was that he very well could try to bring the roster down to league minimum. That's where tanking the fan support would cause the $10 million red mark.

And as was just mentioned, I do question how much money the franchise was actually losing. And a lot of that loss can be attributed to the on-ice failures of the team (failing to secure more than 3 playoff home games, yet again). I'd wager he lost less than 5mm last year. Meaning he would have broken even had the team made it deep into the second round. If a team can break even with a 40 million payroll, it isn't in THAT bad of shape, especially when there is only one piece of the puzzle missing: corporate support.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2007, 11:56 PM
  #45
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
This is no slite against the 12 000 + fans that show up to the games on a regular basis, you guys are obviously great, dedicated fans. But, and I know you know this, the NHL is a business first, and if they're not getting the support required, which at this point the team is not, and Ballsillie feels he can get that support in another location, which in SW Ontario, would not be an issue, it would only make sense to move the team.

I encourage you to prove yourselves wrong! Support your team, fill that arena! You have a great, talented team, support them! If you go, corporate support will follow!

I hope I havn't offended any, none was intended.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 02:07 AM
  #46
utmfisher19
Registered User
 
utmfisher19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville, Tn
Country: United States
Posts: 919
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
im not taking anything you said out of context, but our paid attedance was 13,800.....


Again, if the Predators made it to the next round in the postseason, Leipold said himself that he would NOT have sold this team. Its just sad that this city has never really got to experience playoff hockey. We have a great fanbase here, but the local businesses are horrible.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 07:45 AM
  #47
Upchuck19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Honestly, if Balsillie wants to move the team, there is little the Predator faithful can do about it. He has two options. He can absolutely dismantle the team and tank the season which would all but guarantee that attendence would be below 14k. Or he could just flat out break the lease and settle the matter with the city in court.
NHL doesn't want any franchise to move unless there is no other option!

If the Pred fans buy 14,000 season tickets, the rest of the lease is in place and he can't move!

What are his options right now? Hamilton draws 2-3K per game for the AHL and has a crappy arena. Sure it has 17K seats, but very little luxery boxes. Hamilton arena was built for the NHL in the 80's, not built for todays needed revenues.

What's the other option, the Kitchner area? It will take 2-3 years until the new arena could be built on the fast track. What does he do in the interm? Where does he go until this new arena can be built? Kitchner arena holds about 8K, big time lost revenue until?

Unless he has something up his sleeve, I don't have a clue what he has going on in his mind.

Bottom line is if the Pred fans buy 14,000 season tickets then he is stuck in music city. The NHL owners want him to stay in Nashville and won't let him tank the team during this off season or they won't approve the sale of the team to him.

Either way there is alot of interesting twists and turns coming.

TIME FOR THE PRED FANS AND COPORATE PEOPLE TO TAKE CHARGE AND BUY SEASON TICKETS!!!

Upchuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 10:35 AM
  #48
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19 View Post
NHL doesn't want any franchise to move unless there is no other option!

If the Pred fans buy 14,000 season tickets, the rest of the lease is in place and he can't move!

What are his options right now? Hamilton draws 2-3K per game for the AHL and has a crappy arena. Sure it has 17K seats, but very little luxery boxes. Hamilton arena was built for the NHL in the 80's, not built for todays needed revenues.

What's the other option, the Kitchner area? It will take 2-3 years until the new arena could be built on the fast track. What does he do in the interm? Where does he go until this new arena can be built? Kitchner arena holds about 8K, big time lost revenue until?

Unless he has something up his sleeve, I don't have a clue what he has going on in his mind.

Bottom line is if the Pred fans buy 14,000 season tickets then he is stuck in music city. The NHL owners want him to stay in Nashville and won't let him tank the team during this off season or they won't approve the sale of the team to him.

Either way there is alot of interesting twists and turns coming.

TIME FOR THE PRED FANS AND COPORATE PEOPLE TO TAKE CHARGE AND BUY SEASON TICKETS!!!
Well unfortunately leases are easily broken, so he can still move the team. He'd just have to pay a larger severence fee.

I also don't think you understand the nature of Balsillie's ownership. This is speculatively a toy to him, and he's probably not looking at it as a lucrative business opportunity. Sticking an NHL team in Hamilton would probably make do for the time being until an arena is built wherever he intends to stick the team.

I'm not convinced that even with higher fan support that the team will stick in Nashville. I hope so for your sake, but I'm not convinced.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:32 PM
  #49
cantskate
Registered User
 
cantskate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On the ice
Country: United States
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landfill View Post
Garry Bettman will never let a team leave the southern us. It will make him look bad for expanding to Nashville. Also he always talks about how expansion is a long term project not short term as well.

...........................besides that he will never let Balsilie move a team to Canada.
Gary can always be fired. There are a lot of owners that are tired of paying $$$ to the Nashville Creditors.

You folks on this board are great supporters of the Preds, but how long should an owner be expected to lose money? Bettman isn't the one losing his shirt. How long should other owners be expected to support hockey in another city that doesn't adequately support it's team? Why should Toronto, Detroit, Vancouver, etc. be expected to pay every year just so 14k fans in Nashville get to keep a team?

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 02:42 PM
  #50
utmfisher19
Registered User
 
utmfisher19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville, Tn
Country: United States
Posts: 919
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantskate View Post
Gary can always be fired. There are a lot of owners that are tired of paying $$$ to the Nashville Creditors.

You folks on this board are great supporters of the Preds, but how long should an owner be expected to lose money? Bettman isn't the one losing his shirt. How long should other owners be expected to support hockey in another city that doesn't adequately support it's team? Why should Toronto, Detroit, Vancouver, etc. be expected to pay every year just so 14k fans in Nashville get to keep a team?
the fact that he exaggerated how much the team lost is still up for debate. He lost 3 million dollars PER SEASON since the Preds have been in place in Nashville.

Fact is, the youth in this city has grown up watching the Predators and are in love with this team. We just need to allow 3-4 years of these people to graduate college, get jobs, so that they can buy themselves tickets, along with their wives and kids.

Point being, when the youth in this city finally get jobs, Corporations will be almost forced to buy tickets when their employees all want tickets to the hockey games.

The first year the Predators made the playoffs, we had the lockout... which killed our momentum. In the past 2 seasons, the Predators have had over a 25% increase in attendance. Tell me how it doesnt look like it is going up?

All Nashville needs is a long playoff run to get these people hooked. It worked for Carolina, Anaheim, Tampa Bay, and Dallas... why cant it work in Nashville?


Last edited by utmfisher19: 05-25-2007 at 03:04 PM.
utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.