HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues defense corp nearly all first rounders

Old
04-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
It's going to take something of an "overpayment" to land an impact player unless of course it's another situation where the player wants out and isn't afraid to say so. Otherwise, we're going to make a team an offer they can't refuse. I'm not saying that we should part with this package for just anyone, but if you can get a young number 1 center type or a franchise winger type, why not? The addition will generate fan interest, and increase the competitiveness of the team, both raising attendence/profit, and both increasing the likelihood that we'll be competitive next season.
I'm not saying it's not going to cost us, but I want to know who you're targeting before I decide whether Backman, Jackson, and a pair of 1st's is too little, too much, or about right.

04-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Checker*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MU_Beerman View Post
If we're giving that much up, I'd want Brad Richards, and that probably isn't enough to land him
Due to Richards horrible contract, I'll bet that could fetch him. Although because of said contract, I'm not sure he'd be the top guy on my priority list.

I'm hoping that LA has trouble signing Cammalleri who is a RFA this year and given his impressive production could go to arbitration and will get a huge payday. LA is Kopitar's team and LA is a team that could use someone like Backman right now. If they decide that he's looking for too much money/wins too much in arbitration, I guess it's possible he could go on the block. I have no idea if they'd be willing to make such a deal, but this is the kind of player I'm talking about. Also note the rumors that Drury is interested in signing in LA and that means that they would have an apt replacement at number 1 center.

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Rush11

Quote:
Due to Richards horrible contract, I'll bet that could fetch him. Although because of said contract, I'm not sure he'd be the top guy on my priority list.

I'm hoping that LA has trouble signing Cammalleri who is a RFA this year and given his impressive production could go to arbitration and will get a huge payday. LA is Kopitar's team and LA is a team that could use someone like Backman right now. If they decide that he's looking for too much money/wins too much in arbitration, I guess it's possible he could go on the block. I have no idea if they'd be willing to make such a deal, but this is the kind of player I'm talking about. Also note the rumors that Drury is interested in signing in LA and that means that they would have an apt replacement at number 1 center.
Just say no to Camma-midget. He's not the #1 center that we need.

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush11 View Post
Just say no to Camma-midget. He's not the #1 center that we need.

24 years old
80 points
34 goals
37 powerplay points (where we need immediate help)
Excellent playmaker
Smart
good shot

Other than the fact that he's height-challenged (although it's not like he isn't filled out) why not?

Old
04-19-2007, 12:59 PM
sk84fun_dc

The Blues d-corps looks impressive going forward. Hopefully, for the Blues, McKee stays healthy next season.

Regarding the Caps first rounder, there is a good chance it is available for the right deal, but the Caps are looking at a logjam of young d-men (plenty of discussion about the issue if someone is interested in reading more in the trade thread about the Caps pick and in the Caps section about Eminger and about the draft). Basically, the Caps finished the season playing with 5 d-men 24 or younger including 2 rookies: Morrisonn (24) Jurcina (23, RFA) Pothier (30) Schultz (21) and Green (21)Eminger (23, RFA). Muir is UFA and doubtful he is back; Erskine (26) is RFA. Possilbility one could be the 7th d-man depending on summer moves.

So the key for the Caps in the opinion of several of us is the need for a more veteran d-man to pair with one of the younger guys and the possibility that Eminger (or another d-man) could be the odd man out and possibly traded, but only for decent return and possibly in a package to return a roster player; I (and some others) think the Caps will be seeking a roster player vet d-man to serve as a mentor and eat up some TOI, a center or possibly RW (lower need) in a trade.

Not trying to derail the thread as you all are having a good and interesting discussion...but being a first round pick means a lot of different things

Wash Caps 05-06 defense before the trade deadline included 6 first rounders:
(rd, spot, rd, team)

Witt, 1, 11, 93, Was
Morrisonn, 1, 19, 01, Bos
Eminger, 1, 12, 02, Was
Green, 1, 29, 04, Was
Heward, 1, 16, 89, Pitt
Biron (Mathieu), 1, 21, 98, Lak

other d that played last season for the Caps: Muir (undrafted), Majesky (9th rd), Yonkman (2nd rd)

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:09 PM
2ForRoughing*

"but being a first round pick means a lot of different things"

not in the context of this discussion. It just means that you were picked in the first round and are part of a team's top 6 dmen along with 5 other players also picked in the first round.

There's pretty much nothing else it means.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 01:33 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForRoughing View Post
"but being a first round pick means a lot of different things"

not in the context of this discussion. It just means that you were picked in the first round and are part of a team's top 6 dmen along with 5 other players also picked in the first round.

There's pretty much nothing else it means.
I understand; just a caveat as I was listing the Caps d-men from the 05-06 season

Just using an odd example (that I know well as a Caps fan to show it is not the first time)

another one without reseraching except to confirm the rd - a current example: Calgary's playoff d-corps right now: Regehr, Stuart, Hamrlik, Phaneuf, Hale, Zyuzin are all first rounders and Warrener was a top 30 pick (although 2nd round at that time); Giordano is the other d-man (undrafted), IIRC.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Rush11

Quote:
24 years old
80 points
34 goals
37 powerplay points (where we need immediate help)
Excellent playmaker
Smart
good shot

Other than the fact that he's height-challenged (although it's not like he isn't filled out) why not?
Putting up points is nice, but it doesn't tell the whole story. IMO, he's not a dominant #1 center that can make a difference at both ends of the ice- that is what we need. I see him as a 2nd line center that could add scoring depth (or possibly 3rd line center if a team uses 3 scoring lines). Just my opinion..

(Side story: I went to a Ducks-Kings game in Anaheim in Dec & heard a Ducks fan yell, "Nice job, Camma-midget!". I thought that was one of the best fan insults ever. It was right up there with a Blues fan yelling, "Hey, Daze, your nose was offside!". Those are classics.)

Last edited by Rush11: 04-19-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush11 View Post
Putting up points is nice, but it doesn't tell the whole story. IMO, he's not a dominant #1 center that can make a difference at both ends of the ice- that is what we need. I see him as a 2nd line center that could add scoring depth (or possibly 3rd line center if a team use 3 scoring lines). Just my opinion..

(Side story: I went to a Ducks-Kings game in Anaheim in Dec & heard a Ducks fan yell, "Nice job, Camma-midget!". I thought that was one of the best fan insults ever. It was right up there with a Blues fan yelling, "Hey, Daze, your nose was offside!". Those are classics.)
Keep in mind, he's 24!

We're not going to be able to get a Malkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk etc. As far as centers who can make a difference at both ends of the ice go, good luck finding a team that would part with that once they find it. A near point per game center who is effective on the powerplay, in that he knows how to gain the zone and can put up points, and is still improving would be a huge addition to this team. The only players who are younger than`him and put up more points are Crosby Malkin and Vanek.

I know that there is more to hockey than just putting up points, but here's the deal. The Blues have grit, they have defense, they have smarts, they have 2-way players, and they have guys who are going to be great complementary scorers. What they lack is someone who could just be able to hit 100 points in their prime. You're right putting up points is nice, especially when you don't have many players who can

Old
04-19-2007, 03:00 PM
2ForRoughing*

Cammalari is, IMO, a first line center in the making. He's going to be a consistent 90 point a year player in a year or two. Blues would be lucky to have him.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 04:47 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Cammalari is, IMO, a first line center in the making. He's going to be a consistent 90 point a year player in a year or two. Blues would be lucky to have him.
Is this kid on the trading block or even possibly on the block??

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Checker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
Is this kid on the trading block or even possibly on the block??
This is the thread that gave me the idea
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=352256

I'd file it in the "unlikely but if you see an opening take it" category. If talks with Cammalleri fall apart while working on his new contract in LA, we need to jump and try to bring him on board. In other words, I'm not saying that this is extremely plausible as a scenario, but there is at least a glimmer of hope that he could become available as opposed to other young impact forwards around the league

Old
04-19-2007, 05:04 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
This is the thread that gave me the idea
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=352256

I'd file it in the "unlikely but if you see an opening take it" category. If talks with Cammalleri fall apart while working on his new contract in LA, we need to jump and try to bring him on board. In other words, I'm not saying that this is extremely plausible as a scenario, but there is at least a glimmer of hope that he could become available as opposed to other young impact forwards around the league

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 04-20-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old
04-20-2007, 10:50 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Interesting...sounds like he is goning to be expensive too.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 04-20-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old
04-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
If Lynch ever comes around add one more!
The Blues will be lucky if he becomes a solid AHL defenceman. He's a converted forward that's had a horribly long transition to his new position. He still looks very unsure and uncomfortable at his new position.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Goalin' Crazy UK

Quote:
Can't see Cammi moving, LA are talking about a 5 year deal.

Goalin' Crazy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
CCBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Lynch was a second-rounder (43rd overall)... and that's a mighty big "if."

At this point, I'd estimate the chances of Lynch ever seeing regular-season NHL ice as a member of the Blues' organization as being only slightly better than the chances of Shakira showing up at my door and begging me to run off with her to her own tropical island in the Caribbean...

P_B

lol!

I'd give Lynch a slightly better chance than that.

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote