HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

KEEP THE PREDS IN NASHVILLE, the official thread--we need your help!

Old
05-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Snap Wilson

vCash: 500
I don't really have a horse in this race, but good luck anyway, guys.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by predschick View Post
A thought: Once the deal is done, and Leipold has pocketed an approx $80 million profit, he should buy up enough unsold tickets to put us over the minimum. He has been promising not to negotiate with someone who would move the team. He has said many times how much he loves Nashville and the fans here. If he feels so bad (and yes, I know, how could he turn down such an offer?), he can make it up to us. Anyone know how to contact him?

More realistically, of course, area businesses need to see how their own bottom lines will be affected. I remember vaguely a study done a few years ago that calculated the financial impact the team's presence has on the area's economy. Anyone remember that, or know how to find it?

Most people seem to think the only businesses impacted are the ones on Lower Broad, because they profit directly in the form of increased business on game nights. But the presence of the team makes our city more attractive to corporate relocations, increases our visibility around the country, makes us a multi-sport professional city. Even people who aren't sports fans can appreciate that it makes us a more cosmopolitan city. We just need to prove to the corporations who are benefitting from this image and presence that their bottom-lines will suffer if the team leaves. Maybe if we can find that study and bring it back to visibility - maybe even mass mail it! - just maybe, along with a passionately vocal fan base, we can sell enough tickets to spoil Basillie's plans. And if not, then see my first idea.
how about organizing a fund raiser to buy up the 14,000 tickets yourselves? assume a worst case scenario of 10,000 avg paid attendance next year. 4,000 tickets at an average of $35 would be about $140,000. steep i know, but even if you don't hit it it would go a long way to helping the cause. then maybe distribute the bought tickets to schools, military, etc. i know you can't do it every year just to hit 14k, but it might generate enough buzz to carry some momentum into the coming years. i know it's easy for me to say this stuff from far away, but i'm just throwing out ideas.

Luigi Lemieux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 08:16 AM
grapepul*

Quote:
Originally Posted by asab View Post
No one wants to hear where you hope their team ends up.

And I'm really pulling for the Nashville folks here. I know what you're going through and it sucks. Hopefully it works out for you.
Thanks asab I thought it was OBVIOUS why you don't put that kind of crap here, But some peole are just classless or Dumb as a stump

grapepul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Jarnberg

So any ideas?

Anyone come up with some contacts? I may have some time today to dig up some numbers and e-mail addresses. Perhaps we can come up with a generic letter, template or starter letter that fans can use to contact people.

We're going to lose our team, but not without a freaking fight.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Jarnberg

I also think our first plan of action should be to get Mr. Leipold to buy 2 season tickets for next year. We'll see if he really wants the team to stay here (we know that he doesn't care, given who he sold the franchise to).

Old
05-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Pensfan in Atlanta

The Preds Belong in Nashville

Pens' fan here, living in Atlanta. I really feel for you, after having gone through sheer purgatory this past spring. I'm especially troubled by the fact that Balsillie (whose intentions with the Pens I never trusted) is making the play to take your team. Here are a couple of suggestions that might be helpful:

1) Although you don't have direct control over this, you may want to contact Preds' management and suggest that they adopt a Nashville version of Pittsburgh's Student Rush program. This program allowed local college students to queue up prior to the start of the game and purchase unsold tickets for $20 apiece, regardless of seating section, on a first-come, first-sold basis. This was hugely popular and very successful. You get a couple of very tangible benefits from this: you get lots of loud, enthusiastic college fans in your arena...this looks great on TV; you boost your average attendance figures; and you develop a new fan base. The local media in the Burgh feasted on this. In fact, I remember one day in mid-winter when Colby Armstrong and some other players dropped by the students waiting in line and delivered pizzas, courtesy of the team.

2) I've seen posts here about how youth hockey is doing well in Nashville. It's also doing very well here in metro Atlanta, I'm sure as a result of the arrival of the Thrashers and another ECHL team. You may be able to parlay that success through whatever organization oversees/supports youth hockey in the US (Hockey USA?). They would have a vested interest in ensuring the health of hockey here, particularly in "non-traditional" hockey markets.

3) I would encourage all Atlanta Thrashers fans to make a road trip to take in a game in Nashville this coming season. It's only a 4 hour drive up I-75 and I-24, plus Nashville is a terrific town and lots of fun for a weekend getaway. St. Louis: you guys aren't that far away on the other side, too. Let's all work together to give our friends in Nashville the support they need!

4) In the spirit of #3, although I'm just one fan, you can count on seeing me and my family at one of your homes games this season. I'll be the guy in the Pens' jersey, so I won't be hard to spot.

Good luck guys. Just remember that when things look the darkest, you have a lot of support from around the league. Most importantly, you have each other. Local action is really what it takes to get through this. Mobilize and act together and good things really can happen.

Pensfan in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:33 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
So any ideas?

Anyone come up with some contacts? I may have some time today to dig up some numbers and e-mail addresses. Perhaps we can come up with a generic letter, template or starter letter that fans can use to contact people.

We're going to lose our team, but not without a freaking fight.
Pens fans solutions was to sell out the games and call and e-mail the NHL to annoy the hell out of them. Problem is our situation was a little different in that we needed an arena and had to deal more with local politicians than the NHL. While I didnt get in contact with the NHL, the Pens fans that did said they were well received and not really given a generic response.

Thta's about all I can offer though Outside of trying tog et as many fans there as possible to null that out-clause I dont have anything.

I'm pulling for you guys though.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:37 AM
c4fn8d

As an Edmontonian and lifetime Oiler fan, our team was almost taken away from us in the mid-90's. The then current owner had run the team into the ground, season tickets were at a dismal 6200 seats, even though we had just won the cup in 89-90. A deal was arranged with the NHL that would qualify the Oilers for subsidies if we could sell 13,000 season tickets. Cal Nichols, a prominent Edmonton businessman started the Friends of the Oilers, and was personally responsible for bringing the number of season tickets to 13,400 that year. He asked the city, province, local media, and all local businesses for help. Cal Nichols then went on to found the Edmonton Investors Group to eventually buy the team. Now, less than 10 years later, our franchise is a very well run business and is in the top 10 for profit in the league. Because of him and his group, my kids and my kids kids will enjoy the luxury of going to an Oilers game.

If you are a passionate Pred fan, fight, scratch and claw to keep your team. You can do it and the league will help.

Last edited by c4fn8d: 05-25-2007 at 10:08 AM.
c4fn8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:46 AM
hockeydadx2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero View Post
Pens fans solutions was to sell out the games and call and e-mail the NHL to annoy the hell out of them. Problem is our situation was a little different in that we needed an arena and had to deal more with local politicians than the NHL. While I didnt get in contact with the NHL, the Pens fans that did said they were well received and not really given a generic response.

Thta's about all I can offer though Outside of trying tog et as many fans there as possible to null that out-clause I dont have anything.

I'm pulling for you guys though.
It's true. I spoke with NHL people on the phone numerous times, and every single time they were courteous and sounded sincere in stating the league's official position was that the team belonged in Pittsburgh. They also told me on several occasions that the sheer number of calls that they received in their offices was noted and was very helpful to our cause. One lady told me that they'd received calls supporting the Pens from all over the U.S. and Canada, and that the degree of support received was noted by everybody in the NHL power structure. She could have been BS'ing me, but I don't think so. These were not rehearsed remarks.

So, write and call and call and call. We'll all help as much as we can.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4fn8d View Post
As an Edmontonian and lifetime Oiler fan, our team was almost taken away from us in the mid-90's. The then current owner had run the team into the ground, season tickets were at a dismal 6200 seats, even though we had just won the cup in 94. A deal was arranged with the NHL that would qualify the Oilers for subsidies if we could sell 13,000 season tickets. Cal Nichols, a prominent Edmonton businessman started the Friends of the Oilers, and was personally responsible for bringing the number of season tickets to 13,400 that year. He asked the city, province, local media, and all local businesses for help. Cal Nichols then went on to found the Edmonton Investors Group to eventually buy the team. Now, less than 10 years later, our franchise is a very well run business and is in the top 10 for profit in the league. Because of him and his group, my kids and my kids kids will enjoy the luxury of going to an Oilers game.

If you are a passionate Pred fan, fight, scratch and claw to keep your team. You can do it and the league will help.

.....Beg pardon?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 09:59 AM
vivianmb

he must be talking about the new york oilers who won the cup in 94.
preds fans ... the guy will do what he wants. hell jets fans raised MILLIONS of dollars of their own money and the team still left. that said, winnipeg has been on the outside looking in ever since. fight like hell to keep your team because it will suck if you have to watch them leave. good luck.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 10:09 AM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
.....Beg pardon?
Whoops, fixed...still a bit too early for me.

c4fn8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
he must be talking about the new york oilers who won the cup in 94.
preds fans ... the guy will do what he wants. hell jets fans raised MILLIONS of dollars of their own money and the team still left. that said, winnipeg has been on the outside looking in ever since. fight like hell to keep your team because it will suck if you have to watch them leave. good luck.
We all know what this guy is up to, and frankly, its inevitable. At this point, its whether or not we want to say that we at least did something.

Old
05-25-2007, 10:54 AM
kostitsyn1489

Habs fan here living near Montreal here.

I always like the team since they are in the league. I dont think you deserve to lose the team like that. It's way too quick, you didnt have a fair chance to build a fan base and show people what hockey really is and how great it is. IN less then 10 years you did a great job at it, but another 10 years would be just perfect. I think potencial is there and I do hope you succeed.

As a former Expos fan I know how hard it is to see a team that you love moving away. I really hope the owned and the NHL wont do anything possible to take the team away just like the MLB did with the Expos. We were big Baseball far here, but they did some stuff that pissed people off bad. They stopped the season while the Expos were the best team in the league, the owner that bought the team had to FORCE the league to build a new stadium if not they could just leave the team or try to moving the franchise. Hell even at one point when the Expos where at 1 game to be the wildcard they didnt allow them to call up some players from the minor cause it was too expensive, Yeah 50 000$. There were rumor saying that the team would leave like every year for 10 years so at one point the fan just didnt care. But still when the team wa sin the playoff race there were 30-40000 fans showing up.

I hope NHL won't try to piss people off and almost force them not to show up just to get under 14 000 ticket sold.

I'm not sure if he can move the team whenever he wants if they dont sell an average of 14 000/season in the next 5/10 years or it's just this year. If they succeed they keep the team. I hope it works that way cause it's easy to trade all their asset for young player and "force" people to give up. It would be cheap, but it's always possible.

Well I hope that their decision is taken yet and that they'll do everything possible to move the team in Canada. I want some more team in Canada, but Nashville deserve a team.

So as a Preds and Titans fan I wish you good luck and I want you guys to show them that Nashville deserve a team. You can do it guys!

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Pattypred

Nashville addresses are:

Mayor Bill Purcell
Mayor's Office
100 Metro Courthouse
Nashville, TN 37201
Phone: 615-862-6000
Fax: 615-862-6040

Metropolitan County Council
Metropolitan Courthouse
One Public Square, Suite 204
P. O. Box 196300
Nashville, TN 37219-6300
Office Phone: (615) 862-6780

MEMBERS OF THE METROPOLITAN COUNCIL

VICE MAYOR & PRESIDENT: GENTRY, Howard Jr.

COUNCIL MEMBERS AT LARGE

DOZIER, Buck
NEIGHBORS, Diane
TUCKER, Carolyn Baldwin
BRILEY, David
DREAD, Adam

DISTRICT COUNCIL MEMBERS
District # - Name of Council Member

1. GILMORE, Brenda
2. ISABEL, Jamie
3. HUNT, Walter
4. CRADDOCK, Michael
5. MURRAY, Pam
6. JAMESON, Mike
7. COLE, Erik
8. HART, Jason
9. FORKUM, Jim
10. RYMAN, Rip
11. BROWN, Feller
12. GOTTO, Jim
13. BURCH, Carl
14. WHITE, Harold
15. LORING, J. B.
16. PAGE, Anna
17. GREER, Ronnie
18. HAUSSER, Ginger
19. WALLACE, Ludye N
20. WALLS, Billy Joe
21. WHITMORE, Edward
22. CRAFTON, Eric
23. EVANS, Emily
24. SUMMERS, John
25. SHULMAN, Jim
26. ADKINS, Greg
27. FOSTER, Randy
28. ALEXANDER, Jason
29. WILHOITE, Vivian
30. HODGE, Jim
31. TOLER, Parker
32. COLEMAN, Sam
33. DUVALL, Robert
34. WILLIAMS, Lynn
35. TYGARD, Charlie

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Nashville addresses are:

Mayor Bill Purcell
Mayor's Office
100 Metro Courthouse
Nashville, TN 37201
Phone: 615-862-6000
Fax: 615-862-6040

Metropolitan County Council
Metropolitan Courthouse
One Public Square, Suite 204
P. O. Box 196300
Nashville, TN 37219-6300
Office Phone: (615) 862-6780

MEMBERS OF THE METROPOLITAN COUNCIL

VICE MAYOR & PRESIDENT: GENTRY, Howard Jr.

COUNCIL MEMBERS AT LARGE

DOZIER, Buck
NEIGHBORS, Diane
TUCKER, Carolyn Baldwin
BRILEY, David
DREAD, Adam

DISTRICT COUNCIL MEMBERS
District # - Name of Council Member

1. GILMORE, Brenda
2. ISABEL, Jamie
3. HUNT, Walter
4. CRADDOCK, Michael
5. MURRAY, Pam
6. JAMESON, Mike
7. COLE, Erik
8. HART, Jason
9. FORKUM, Jim
10. RYMAN, Rip
11. BROWN, Feller
12. GOTTO, Jim
13. BURCH, Carl
14. WHITE, Harold
15. LORING, J. B.
16. PAGE, Anna
17. GREER, Ronnie
18. HAUSSER, Ginger
19. WALLACE, Ludye N
20. WALLS, Billy Joe
21. WHITMORE, Edward
22. CRAFTON, Eric
23. EVANS, Emily
24. SUMMERS, John
25. SHULMAN, Jim
26. ADKINS, Greg
27. FOSTER, Randy
28. ALEXANDER, Jason
29. WILHOITE, Vivian
30. HODGE, Jim
31. TOLER, Parker
32. COLEMAN, Sam
33. DUVALL, Robert
34. WILLIAMS, Lynn
35. TYGARD, Charlie
for those that can't stand a gargantuan cell bill

mayor@nashville.gov

http://www.nashville.gov/council/feedback.html ... select drop down box "entire Metro Council" AND there individual councilman/councilwoman as well

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Jarnberg

Great stuff Patty!

Now we need someone to cook up an e-mail or message that we send so we have concentrated efforts.

Old
05-25-2007, 11:24 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Great stuff Patty!

Now we need someone to cook up an e-mail or message that we send so we have concentrated efforts.
I'd be willing to help. What are you looking for???

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 12:19 PM
lstcyr

Actaully it's $140,000 per night since we have to average 14,000. That's $5.7 million. Not a bad suggestion but a littlle more than a fund raiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
how about organizing a fund raiser to buy up the 14,000 tickets yourselves? assume a worst case scenario of 10,000 avg paid attendance next year. 4,000 tickets at an average of $35 would be about $140,000. steep i know, but even if you don't hit it it would go a long way to helping the cause. then maybe distribute the bought tickets to schools, military, etc. i know you can't do it every year just to hit 14k, but it might generate enough buzz to carry some momentum into the coming years. i know it's easy for me to say this stuff from far away, but i'm just throwing out ideas.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:16 PM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domskidan View Post
Hi, I don't post much but because of the preds message board taking for ever to register on I thought I would post this hear instead.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2396995822&ref=mf

We stand behind Nashville, remember there is always hope that things could work out. The Penguins where close from moving closer than people think but our fan support and shear outrage over the situation pressured everyone into doing the right thing. Never stop believing Nashville fans, because miracles do happen, if we would of never of got Crosby the pens would of probably moved awhile ago, but a miracle happened we got him and a series of all the right events followed which led to the team staying in town for the next 30 years.

Its not over until the moving fans are packed and ready to go ... remember that.

IMPORTANT CONTACT INFO:

Gary Bettman: gbettman@nhl.com
NHL Offices: 212.789.2000

Last thing...(this from nomorekids)

TROLLING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED IN THIS THREAD. Any "move them!" or "you don't deserve a team anyway" type of talk WILL NOT BE TOLERATED in this thread. There is a zero-tolerance policy in effect from here on in. You've been warned.

PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL, EVERYTHING HELPS!
I called, and he said they have had lots of calls today, and that it does make a difference.

KEEP THOSE PHONES RINGING!!!

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Jarnberg

I've heard that the NHL is receiving a ton of calls out of Nashville. To those who have sent in phone calls or e-mails, great job.

For the fans of other teams who support our cause, please call the number above and bring up any point you think is necessary to help our cause. Things like not believing Mr. Blackberry about his intentions and how 9 seasons (and a full year lockout) is too short of a time to judge a market.

Even if/when this all fails and the team moves, you can have my assurance that I'll be right there fighting this fight if some other potential owner tries to pull this stunt.

Old
05-25-2007, 01:47 PM
grapepul*

Quote:
I've heard that the NHL is receiving a ton of calls out of Nashville. To those who have sent in phone calls or e-mails, great job.

For the fans of other teams who support our cause, please call the number above and bring up any point you think is necessary to help our cause. Things like not believing Mr. Blackberry about his intentions and how 9 seasons (and a full year lockout) is too short of a time to judge a market.

Even if/when this all fails and the team moves, you can have my assurance that I'll be right there fighting this fight if some other potential owner tries to pull this stunt.
I just sent an email to Gary Bettman thanking him for what he did in keeping the Pens in the Burgh & said I HOPED he would be as firm in keeping the Preds in Nashville

Last edited by grapepul*: 05-25-2007 at 02:02 PM.
grapepul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I appreciate your optimism and while I won't say your wrong, I will say this. If the guy wants to move the team, he will. Even if businesses get fired up and want to keep the team, what happens when they call and no one answers the phone? What happens when he simply comps tickets way before the game to "sell out" games, forcing our paid attendance to dip below 14,000.
What's to prevent the new owner from jacking up prices to force the attendance down?

Hope the Predators stay, I know what it's like when a franchise gets relocated.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
What's to prevent the new owner from jacking up prices to force the attendance down?

Hope the Predators stay, I know what it's like when a franchise gets relocated.
Nothing, in fact I was implying the same notion. The owner can do whatever he wants. I spoke with my ticket rep yesterday and he assured my ticket prices wouldn't change. Of course the new owner could do that, but we'll see.

It is odd that one of Mr. Leipold's last actions was to in fact, raise ticket prices.

Old
05-25-2007, 02:10 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:

You also have to remember, the year AFTER we first made the playoffs, the NHL had the lockout. That really hurt the momentum of this franchise. We have a great "hardcore" fan base. But the problem herein lies within companies in this city. I dont understand how companies have trouble financing this. Do they not want their employees and their families, along with their clients, entertained?

Keep calling, Patty, do you have any idea who responds best in our city's council members? I know Charles Tyguard personally, and he will definitely fight for this team. But do you know anyone else that we can contact that will do all that they can?

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote