HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Breaking News:

Old
05-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Breaking News:

Gary Bettman's Phone Message Box is FULL!

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 04:26 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
AND

Just announced on the Nashville radio station 104.5

The Predators are to stay in Nashville for the NEXT TWO SEASONS. After those two seasons, if in BOTH of those seasons, the Predators dont average 14,000 each season... THEN the owner can take the team and move. Otherwise, the team has to stay in Nashville until 2015.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 04:30 PM
vopatsrash

"The debate could hinge on legal interpretations of the word "consecutive." The arena lease says that after the Predators' first five full seasons were completed, "any two consecutive full seasons (determined cumulatively)" below 14,000 paid attendance would trigger the escape clause. But an NHL lockout and the year after the lockout wouldn't count.

The Predators' fifth full season was 2002-03. They failed to reach the 14,000-ticket threshold in 2003-04, and then the 2004-05 NHL season was wiped out by a lockout. So 2004-05 and 2005-06 didn't count. In 2006-07, the Predators' ticket sales fell short of 14,000 again.

So the question is whether 2003-04 and 2006-07 are considered "consecutive full seasons." Cain, the Metro law director, said no.

'Consecutive seasons to me means consecutive," she said. "And I think a court would agree.'"

http://http://tennessean.com/apps/pb...JKTRQ+NB/co%3D

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 04:38 PM
PredsMan

the year after a lockout doesn't count...

HAHA!

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Jarnberg

Lets hope it doesn't come to a legal battle in court.

Besides, this just means Blackberry Arena has more time to be built.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I hope they stay in Nashville. I know what it's like to lose a team, and it really, really sucks. Expos

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 05:31 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash View Post
"The debate could hinge on legal interpretations of the word "consecutive." The arena lease says that after the Predators' first five full seasons were completed, "any two consecutive full seasons (determined cumulatively)" below 14,000 paid attendance would trigger the escape clause. But an NHL lockout and the year after the lockout wouldn't count.

The Predators' fifth full season was 2002-03. They failed to reach the 14,000-ticket threshold in 2003-04, and then the 2004-05 NHL season was wiped out by a lockout. So 2004-05 and 2005-06 didn't count. In 2006-07, the Predators' ticket sales fell short of 14,000 again.

So the question is whether 2003-04 and 2006-07 are considered "consecutive full seasons." Cain, the Metro law director, said no.

'Consecutive seasons to me means consecutive," she said. "And I think a court would agree.'"

http://http://tennessean.com/apps/pb...JKTRQ+NB/co%3D
I think the Metro should focus their attention on something more substantial as that is a poor argument IMHO. We are talking about "consecutive NHL seasons" not "consecutive calendar years" or "consecutive 12 month periods." Still, the good news for Nashville is that it appears the Metro is looking into ways to keep the team in Nashville.

GHOST

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 05:42 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
I think the Metro should focus their attention on something more substantial as that is a poor argument IMHO. We are talking about "consecutive NHL seasons" not "consecutive calendar years" or "consecutive 12 month periods." Still, the good news for Nashville is that it appears the Metro is looking into ways to keep the team in Nashville.

GHOST
Ultimately, how badly the city on the whole wants the team to stay is probably the x-factor. The fans will do their part, I'm almost sure of that, especially as more and more of them realize how important it is TO do their part. You saw the playoff games sell-out in 20 minutes...I think that same sort of urgency will be in full effect.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2007, 07:05 PM
handtrick

I just talked to Scott Wampold, VP of Ticket Sales for the Preds.

He said that it was his understanding that the upcoming year was still the "cure" year, and that the city knew about it for a long time, but just now decided to question the wording. He expects some legal wrangling to probably occur.
He went on to say that the only surefire method is to have more than 14,000 average paid attendance next year, and he appreciated everyone's ongoing efforts to support the team staying in Nashville.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Ultimately, how badly the city on the whole wants the team to stay is probably the x-factor. The fans will do their part, I'm almost sure of that, especially as more and more of them realize how important it is TO do their part. You saw the playoff games sell-out in 20 minutes...I think that same sort of urgency will be in full effect.
The city better wake up and smell the coffee. If the city of Nashville does not do whatever it takes to keep this team here, they will be sorry. Losing this team will cause downtown Nashville to take a nose-dive. In addition, it will leave a "black mark" on this city that we will probably never recover from (in our life-times). If we get the reputation as a city unable to hold on to a professional team, we will be viewed negatively for years to come.

I just don't understand why the mayor, Chamber of Commerce and business leaders don't see this and step-up to the plate.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 10:21 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
The city better wake up and smell the coffee. If the city of Nashville does not do whatever it takes to keep this team here, they will be sorry. Losing this team will cause downtown Nashville to take a nose-dive. In addition, it will leave a "black mark" on this city that we will probably never recover from (in our life-times). If we get the reputation as a city unable to hold on to a professional team, we will be viewed negatively for years to come.

I just don't understand why the mayor, Chamber of Commerce and business leaders don't see this and step-up to the plate.
One can only hope.

I got a petition in my e-mail this morning from someone I KNOW didn't go to a single game last season, and it kind of annoyed me. This is exactly the type of person that would ask how the Preds were doing, but never could be bothered to go to a game...and now thinks a petition will do a damn thing. I responded,

"I appreciate the thought and effort, but consider the only petition worth signing the one that comes with a pledge to go to as many games as you can realistically afford, in the coming seasons"

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 11:56 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
One can only hope.

I got a petition in my e-mail this morning from someone I KNOW didn't go to a single game last season, and it kind of annoyed me. This is exactly the type of person that would ask how the Preds were doing, but never could be bothered to go to a game...and now thinks a petition will do a damn thing. I responded,

"I appreciate the thought and effort, but consider the only petition worth signing the one that comes with a pledge to go to as many games as you can realistically afford, in the coming seasons"
EXACTLY!!! The only signature that really counts in all of this is that which is applied to the bottom of a ticket order form.

And something else for thought, BOYCOTT SCALPERS NEXT SEASON! Those tickets are already sold and regardless of whether or not the tickets are used, they count as paid attendance. The only time I want to see any scalpers out there is when the game is completely sold out and there is no other means by which to get a ticket.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote