HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects that have to be signed before June 1st

Old
05-23-2007, 08:51 AM
JoeLH

vCash: 500
Sulzer has become a much better player over the last past 2 years. He is a solid d-man with a good size and physical play and also has a litte bit of an offensive upside. His worst problem a few years ago was his attitude but that has definitely changed remarkably now.

Some of his stats on HockeyDB are wrong. He shoots left, not right and is about 6.02. More ...

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/sh...i?serial=25418

He could be compared with Christoph Schubert (Ottawa). Perhaps, Sulzer is better with the puck while Schubert's physicial play has become really good in his years in North America.
That's the part Sulzer will have to learn soon which should'nt be too much now with his better attitude. We'll see ...

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'm really having a hard time understanding why anyone would be upset that Sulzer would sign....The guy seems to be a steady defenseman and while his past two years have shown a different player.......I suspect he will do well over here. There is no point in pissing away the few good prospects that we have. Our strength is defensive prospects, but if we do not sign them, then we will never be able to use them as assets or groom them as future players.
I think people misunderstand and think that every signing is for the big team.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:12 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think people misunderstand and think that every signing is for the big team.
I won't lie, that's where I thought this was going. When I hear, "European Prospect" and "Signing" what flashes in my mind is "Not going to play in NA unless it's the NHL" if this is a move to develop him in Milwaukee then good, let's see what he can do.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I won't lie, that's where I thought this was going. When I hear, "European Prospect" and "Signing" what flashes in my mind is "Not going to play in NA unless it's the NHL" if this is a move to develop him in Milwaukee then good, let's see what he can do.
I see what your saying as it seems a number of players have been displaying these attitudes (can't really blame them either). Not every player has the same attitude as Radulov. However, even if a player wants to have a clause that allows them to return, we still own their rights. So its good even if they jet home as perhaps we can give them another shot in the future.

Old
05-23-2007, 09:21 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I see what your saying as it seems a number of players have been displaying these attitudes (can't really blame them either). Not every player has the same attitude as Radulov. However, even if a player wants to have a clause that allows them to return, we still own their rights. So its good even if they jet home as perhaps we can give them another shot in the future.
But it's this attitude and the twisted priorities which drives people nuts about European players. I've seen it when working with hockey players in Division III hockey. I seen the twinkle in their eyes when they talk about the olympics and World Championships, but when it comes to the Stanley Cup they act like it's another thing. I know it's mostly cultural exposure but still the NHL needs to find a way to prove to Europe that the Stanley Cup is the ultimate prize in hockey.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:24 AM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
But it's this attitude and the twisted priorities which drives people nuts about European players. I've seen it when working with hockey players in Division III hockey. I seen the twinkle in their eyes when they talk about the olympics and World Championships, but when it comes to the Stanley Cup they act like it's another thing. I know it's mostly cultural exposure but still the NHL needs to find a way to prove to Europe that the Stanley Cup is the ultimate prize in hockey.
Yes, we must North Americanize ALL of the World's hockey players.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 09:37 AM
EHCler

Well it is not the type of deal where he will return to Germany if he does not make the NHL team. Every article as well as the press release by the Metro Stars state that he will go to the US and mention that he will play in the AHL if he does not make the team.

Sulzer is looking for a new challenge and he should know from his National teammates that are in the NHL that he will need to play and proove himself in the AHL like Schubert Hecht Seidenberg Goc Ehrhoff had to do and Greiss and Paetzold are currently doing. Only Sturm was able to jump the AHL. The jump from DEL straight into the NHL is just to big especially for contending teams.

Sure if everything goes wrong he will return to Germany (Like Hackert did a few years back) but normally there have been not as many problems to get Germans to play AHL compared to other European countries (well normally their leagues are better, they earn more money and the sport is more popular than in Germany).

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Sanderson

There aren't all that many European prospects who wouldn't spend some time in the AHL. Especially those from smaller hockey-countries never had a problem with it.

There seem to be quite a lot of misconceptions about European hockey players. Yes, winning the Olympics or the World Championship has a higher priority compared to North America, but pretty much every prospect dreams about playing in the NHL, so it's not like they see it as an necessary evil to make enough money for a living.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Jarnberg

I agree, I think its a few European prospects who might display this attitude, which in turn is reflected upon all European prospects. Regardless, even if a player wants an assurance, I can't really fault them for that. I'd love to think that every player would love to play for our team and do whatever it takes to make it, but I also understand the notion of a player watching out for them self. I probably wouldn't want to play in the AHL if I was having success in my home country's top league. Now, if you do choose to do so, you might hamper your chance at playing in the NHL, if that is your ultimate goal (which might not be the case for every player).

Old
05-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
When? Link?
I know this has been discussed in many threads here, but here's a few links... all in Finnish:

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...56039_jk.shtml
http://www.jatkoaika.com/nhl.php?sivu=uutiset&id=7042
http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/artikkeli/H.../1135227503758
http://www.hifk.fi/index.php?option=...d=99&Itemid=31 (I don't know if that one works properly)

Three year, two-way deal. Clause that allows him to play the first season in Finland if he doesn't make the team out of camp. He already has a deal worked out with HIFK in case he doesn't make the team so it's pretty obvious he won't play in the AHL next season. The last two seasons of the contract he'll play in either the NHL or affiliated team(s).

He also says that he's coming back to prospect camp (or whatever) in the summer and the training camp in the fall. And sees that he has 10-15 percent chance at making the team. I guess it's good to have faith.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 01:01 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Stehlik has signed with the Preds. http://www.hokej.sk/clanok48897.htm

Its a two-way contract and he says he will try to get a NHL spot and he would go down and play in the AHL.

Im very surprised he got signed as he had a brutal world championship but he is more suited for the smaller ice so it may be a good move.

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 01:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

ay yi yi.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Nashville108*

are we going to have a team of Stehliks and Laaskos next year? Are we aiming to be a 10 win team?

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 06:01 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville108 View Post
are we going to have a team of Stehliks and Laaskos next year? Are we aiming to be a 10 win team?
ever see "major league?"

it might be sort of like that, except without the success

Old
05-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Stehlik was considered to be a decent prospect. A 2 year-2 way deal I'm guessing? Isn't he too old to get a 3 year entry level deal? Or am I misunderstanding the rules?

Do you think he'll ever play for you guys? Or a career AHL'er then back to Europe?

Also, think Glazachev will be signed?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Nashville108*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
ever see "major league?"

hahaha. "we won yesterday, if we win today, thats two in a row. if we win tomorrow, thats called a winning streak. it HAS happend before."

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Hockeymind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
ever see "major league?"

These guys would have been signed even without the selling

Hockeymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We tried hard to sign Stehlik before the lockout......the other two defenseman we tried hard to sign at that time were Shea Weber and Ryan Suter ! I'm not surprised that we decided to bring him over. The guy has a huge frame and once upon a time, quite a bit of potential.

05-27-2007, 11:43 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymind View Post
These guys would have been signed even without the selling
i don't know about that. we've let a lot of decent prospects slip away, throughout the years. i've never seen a signing frenzy like this from us, ever.

Old
05-28-2007, 01:55 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra View Post
Stehlik has signed with the Preds. http://www.hokej.sk/clanok48897.htm

Its a two-way contract and he says he will try to get a NHL spot and he would go down and play in the AHL.

Im very surprised he got signed as he had a brutal world championship but he is more suited for the smaller ice so it may be a good move.
There are two reports that he signed with Anaheim. I'm not saying he didn't sign with Nashville, but right now there is conflicting reports. The only thing that we know for sure is it was a two-year entry-level contract.

http://www.hockeysverige.se/news_sho...html?id=141683

http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=..._steglik_podpi

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Well, considering he is a Nashville prospect and we hold his rights at the moment......it would seem strange that he signed with the Ducks...

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2007, 10:31 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

This was posted on the Blue Jackets board.

Rule changes in the new CBA regarding rights to European draft picks were contingent on a satisfactory IIHF Transfer Agreement. In the absence of an agreement, rights are determined per the old CBA. Russia was not a party to the transfer agreement. Therefore, rights to Russian draft picks can be held until they're eligible for unrestricted free agency under the new CBA by petitioning the NHL to have them designated "defected free agents". This information can be found in the Letter Agreements section of the new CBA. http://www.nhlpa.com/CBA/index.asp

If true, then Shafigulin and Glazachev would not need to be signed by June 1st.

LadyByngJeanRatelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Buddhaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred View Post
Yes, we must North Americanize ALL of the World's hockey players.
My thoughts exactly. In the end its all about the AMERICAN dream

Buddhaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:30 AM
EHCler

Interview with Sulzer about his future in German.

http://www.sport1.de/de/sport/artikel_1297764.html

He states that if he does not make the team he will have no problem proving himself in the AHL.
He believes that AHL is at about same level as the DEL and that most NHL players had to play there at some stage.
His wife will come over with him as soon as he knows whether he will play in Nashville or Milwaukee.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 08:57 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCler View Post
Interview with Sulzer about his future in German.

http://www.sport1.de/de/sport/artikel_1297764.html

He states that if he does not make the team he will have no problem proving himself in the AHL.
He believes that AHL is at about same level as the DEL and that most NHL players had to play there at some stage.
His wife will come over with him as soon as he knows whether he will play in Nashville or Milwaukee.
That is a fantastic attitude to have. As long as he can prove himself (back up his words with action) he should real well over here.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote