HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Proposal - MTL & PIT

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2007, 09:33 AM
  #1
Lappy40
 
Lappy40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Proposal - MTL & PIT

I was thinking that on such a young team, maybe a veteran with a cup ring may be what these kids need...

To Pit:
Dandenault - Cap hit of $1.725(expensive for a 5-6 guy and for another year after this one, but has in-valuable experience)
Matt D'Agostini - Cap Hit of $500K(a good prospect, not great but good)
1st RD Pick(12th overall)

To MTL:
Kris Letang - Cap Hit of $Rookie Max?
Jarkko Ruutu - $1.115

first proposal, Pens fans won't like the fact that Letang is there but I think it is pretty fair, maybe slightly favoring the Habs so tweak away

Lappy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
  #2
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 47,352
vCash: 500
So Letang for the 12th overall? What's the point for Pittsburgh?

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:36 AM
  #3
Lappy40
 
Lappy40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
The get a decent 5-6 guy with a 1st rounder and a good prospect thats why

Lappy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:46 AM
  #4
BuddehJuS
Registered User
 
BuddehJuS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,472
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL - Ryder Fan View Post
The get a decent 5-6 guy with a 1st rounder and a good prospect thats why
True, but isn't Letang considered a better defensive prospect than Alzner, and defense is a need they have so what would be the point?

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:47 AM
  #5
spiny norman
Mod Supervisor
Dinsdale !!!
 
spiny norman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,319
vCash: 500
Pens say no ... they are extremely high on Letang, who has the extra bonus of being a RH shooting defenceman.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:53 AM
  #6
Cliff O Malley
Registered User
 
Cliff O Malley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I DUNNO?
Country: United States
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
not a bad proposal but no thanks

Cliff O Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:57 AM
  #7
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
The value isn't too bad, but I see no reason for the Pens to want to do this.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 10:09 AM
  #8
Super Reverse Homer
Registered User
 
Super Reverse Homer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,620
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
This makes zero sense for us.

Pens are not trading their top prospect, one who has shown marked improvements and on the fringe of making the team, for another draft pick. We are coming out of rebuilding mode, and Letang will play on a dirt cheap contract for us (he wasn't a first rounder). Letang's stock has also risen so much so that, if the draft was held again, he'd for sure be a top 10-15 pick.

We don't need another bottom-pairing guy on the D. Our D is so screwed up that we need a solid top 4, preferably top 3 guy, to eat up minutes playing solid defense. Dandenault won't help out on that regards.

No trade.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 10:14 AM
  #9
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,982
vCash: 500
I can see the Pens having more interest in Bouillon, but I don't see them trading Letang for anyone who can't compete in their top 4.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 10:45 AM
  #10
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 9,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL - Ryder Fan View Post
I was thinking that on such a young team, maybe a veteran with a cup ring may be what these kids need...

To Pit:
Dandenault - Cap hit of $1.725(expensive for a 5-6 guy and for another year after this one, but has in-valuable experience)
Matt D'Agostini - Cap Hit of $500K(a good prospect, not great but good)
1st RD Pick(12th overall)

To MTL:
Kris Letang - Cap Hit of $Rookie Max?
Jarkko Ruutu - $1.115

first proposal, Pens fans won't like the fact that Letang is there but I think it is pretty fair, maybe slightly favoring the Habs so tweak away

Simplify:

Dandenault for Ruuttu.

Pitts takes on a little salary, but they get a moblie veteran defenseman. Montreal gets a good agitator/PKer and gains ~600,000 in cap space.

Besides, teams generally don't like trading prospects who are developing well for more draft picks, unless they feel they sign them.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 10:49 AM
  #11
Super Reverse Homer
Registered User
 
Super Reverse Homer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,620
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Simplify:

Dandenault for Ruuttu.

Pitts takes on a little salary, but they get a moblie veteran defenseman. Montreal gets a good agitator/PKer and gains ~600,000 in cap space.
See, that I'd do. Dandenault is an improvement over any of our bottom-pairing guys. I love Ruutu, but he is rather redundant on our team chock full of checking forwards.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 10:52 AM
  #12
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 34,673
vCash: 500
HF is too obsesed with draft position. If the 2005 draft were redone Letang likely would be a top five pick, certainly top ten.

So basically you are asking to trade a top five pick, who has developed as you would want a top five pick to develope, for a number 12 in a crappy draft (a number 12 that in most drafts would likely be a second round pick), and an player overpriced for two years and who would never be better than a 5-6 man.

Hey, where do I sign?

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 11:16 AM
  #13
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
HF is too obsesed with draft position. If the 2005 draft were redone Letang likely would be a top five pick, certainly top ten.

So basically you are asking to trade a top five pick, who has developed as you would want a top five pick to develope, for a number 12 in a crappy draft (a number 12 that in most drafts would likely be a second round pick), and an player overpriced for two years and who would never be better than a 5-6 man.

Hey, where do I sign?
No he wouldn't. 2005 was a great draft year, and Letang would have a very tough time getting into the top 10 if it was redone.

Just 10 names off the top of my head who would go ahead of him:

Crosby
Johnson
Brule
Price
Kopitar
Staal
Bourdon
Rask
Stastny
Latendresse

If he became available this year, then yes he would be a top 5 pick, but not in comparison to the 2005 crop.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 11:16 AM
  #14
illogic
Registered User
 
illogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Simplify:

Dandenault for Ruuttu.

Pitts takes on a little salary, but they get a moblie veteran defenseman. Montreal gets a good agitator/PKer and gains ~600,000 in cap space.

Besides, teams generally don't like trading prospects who are developing well for more draft picks, unless they feel they sign them.
I don't mind that. Ruutu's great but we have enough bottom 6 players.

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 11:17 AM
  #15
illogic
Registered User
 
illogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
No he wouldn't. 2005 was a great draft year, and Letang would have a very tough time getting into the top 10 if it was redone.

Just 10 names off the top of my head who would go ahead of him:

Crosby
Johnson
Brule
Price
Kopitar
Staal
Bourdon
Rask
Stastny
Latendresse

If he became available this year, then yes he would be a top 5 pick, but not in comparison to the 2005 crop.
I'd consider taking Letang over Bourdon.. and I'm a Canucks fan.

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 11:18 AM
  #16
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I can see the Pens having more interest in Bouillon, ....
Why?

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 11:23 AM
  #17
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogic View Post
I'd consider taking Letang over Bourdon.. and I'm a Canucks fan.

That's fine. I wouldn't but to each his own. A couple of others I'd rate ahead of Letang are Ryan and Vlasic. Letang might be a consideration for a top 10 among the 2005 group, but he certainly isn't the lock that the Pens fan seems to think.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 11:37 AM
  #18
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL - Ryder Fan View Post
The get a decent 5-6 guy with a 1st rounder and a good prospect thats why
Why would they trade for this guy when they can sign a UFA not giving up any draft picks..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 12:24 PM
  #19
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPen View Post
See, that I'd do. Dandenault is an improvement over any of our bottom-pairing guys. I love Ruutu, but he is rather redundant on our team chock full of checking forwards.
Well, say now... if you'd do Ruutu for Dandenault (or Bouillon)... what other options would you offer up instead of Ruutu? Lesser prospects, later draft picks, etc, all offers considered. I think Habs fans are generally interested in moving one of those two pricier D from our bottom pairing. They're perfectly good bottom pairing D-men, mind you.

(We too might have enough checkers and grinders, hence possibly the desire to explore options other than Ruutu.)

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 01:21 PM
  #20
Lappy40
 
Lappy40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
To be honest, I just like Letang a lot, and would like to see him aquired. He is a very good prospect, but I also believe that at the twelvth pick the Pens could get an okay prospect plus Matt D'Agostini who is a good prospect in his own. The main objective of this proposal was to aquire Rutuu(a good PKer and pest who could somewhat mentor Lapierre) and to trade Dandenault because I believe his contract, money wise, is preventing the habs from landing a nice UFA(due to cap room even though it is susposed to rise). Besides isn't this proposal a bit better than most hab fans? At least it doesn't involve Crosby or Vinny L.

Lappy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 01:23 PM
  #21
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,606
vCash: 500
No deal

Letang and Goligoski will be Pens for many years. Management are very high on them and so are we(fans)

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 01:26 PM
  #22
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL - Ryder Fan View Post
To be honest, I just like Letang a lot, and would like to see him aquired. He is a very good prospect, but I also believe that at the twelvth pick the Pens could get an okay prospect plus Matt D'Agostini who is a good prospect in his own. The main objective of this proposal was to aquire Rutuu(a good PKer and pest who could somewhat mentor Lapierre) and to trade Dandenault because I believe his contract, money wise, is preventing the habs from landing a nice UFA(due to cap room even though it is susposed to rise). Besides isn't this proposal a bit better than most hab fans? At least it doesn't involve Crosby or Vinny L.

What you gotta understand is we turned the corner on prospects and are now in a different position.We also have a few players that can play in the NHL but we have no space for then like Cristensen who barely gets some ice time and Ryan Stone who is still in the AHL

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 01:31 PM
  #23
Lappy40
 
Lappy40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Completely understood. As I said though, I would like to just see Rutuu in a Habs jersey so scrap the Letang for "x" players and just Dandy and Rutuu straight up would be the best thing to think about.

Lappy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 01:38 PM
  #24
Super Reverse Homer
Registered User
 
Super Reverse Homer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,620
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, say now... if you'd do Ruutu for Dandenault (or Bouillon)... what other options would you offer up instead of Ruutu? Lesser prospects, later draft picks, etc, all offers considered. I think Habs fans are generally interested in moving one of those two pricier D from our bottom pairing. They're perfectly good bottom pairing D-men, mind you.

(We too might have enough checkers and grinders, hence possibly the desire to explore options other than Ruutu.)
Hmm...something like Nils Ekman and Josef Melichar for Francois Bouillon? Ekman has nice speed and some hands; he just didn't work out for us and had some nagging injuries. Melichar is just a cheap throw-in because we'd have too many defensemen signed and maybe Montreal needs a #7 for emergency fill-in.

Super Reverse Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 01:42 PM
  #25
BritSabre
Registered User
 
BritSabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Reading, UK
Country: England
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
That's fine. I wouldn't but to each his own. A couple of others I'd rate ahead of Letang are Ryan and Vlasic. Letang might be a consideration for a top 10 among the 2005 group, but he certainly isn't the lock that the Pens fan seems to think.
Perhaps not, but fans always seem to love and overrate their own prospects and what's wrong with being excited about your own future? Regardless of where he'd go in '05, he's still a fantastic guy to get with a 2nd/3rd rounder.

As for the proposal, it may be fair valuewise or it may not be. The fact is that Pittsburgh should be looking at defense and top scoring wingers to play with the big 3. If they were to move Letang, it would be for a legit scoring winger that could help now, not a pick that may or may not contribute in about 3 or 4 years. Although D'Agostini is a good prospect, he's not great. Letang in my book is a great prospect.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.