Brendan Witt

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2004, 09:31 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

vCash: 500
Brendan Witt

What would he fetch in a trade with the Stars (sorry if this has already been discussed).

Old
02-25-2004, 09:34 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98
What would he fetch in a trade with the Stars (sorry if this has already been discussed).
Kapanen.

Old
02-25-2004, 10:42 PM
lace-em'-up

probably more than just kapanen.

Old
02-25-2004, 11:44 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lace-em'-up
probably more than just kapanen.
maybe add a 3rd rounder
i think the caps may want erskine over kapanen though

Old
02-26-2004, 12:10 AM
jincargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
maybe add a 3rd rounder
i think the caps may want erskine over kapanen though
Would you give up Erskine and a pick for Witt?

How about Janceviski? What his current value with the team?

Old
02-26-2004, 12:14 AM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout
Would you give up Erskine and a pick for Witt?

How about Janceviski? What his current value with the team?
Sure. Erskine's time here is running out.

Jancevski would be available too, but why would you want him?

Old
02-26-2004, 12:24 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow
Sure. Erskine's time here is running out.

Jancevski would be available too, but why would you want him?
If we trade Erskine, Jancevski comes up and takes over for where Erskine is. Erskine has more value then Jancevski in a trade so you trade Erskine.

Just makes sense.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:34 AM
jincargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman
If we trade Erskine, Jancevski comes up and takes over for where Erskine is. Erskine has more value then Jancevski in a trade so you trade Erskine.
Just makes sense.
From a Washington standpoint...they are going to need blue line prospects with good two way games but also with an edge towards the stay at home role. We have Yonkman (if he can stay healthy), Cutta, and hopefullt Patrick Wellar (needs to sign a deal before June 1) for the stay at home type...Eminger is a puck mover...Boumedienne can move it as well.

With the possible trade of Gonchar to Toronto for Colaiacovo and some prospects...getting either Erskine or Jancevski would be what the Caps are looking for and at the same time...getting more picks. If Witt can be had from Jancevski and a high pick (2nd or 3rd) I could see the Caps making that deal over Erskine and a lower pick. Erskine would be nice tho.

Should be interesting....word is something is going to be announced tomorrow.

Old
02-26-2004, 03:24 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Not much, to be honest. Witt is terribly overrated, he wouldn't even be an upgrade big anough to warrant Sweeney to sit. John Erskine has the potential to develop into a simular Witt, I rather hold onto him than add crucial picks for an unnecessay asset. Conchar, now we're talking, but I wouldn't give much of value for Witt.

Jancevski started on the AHL All star team so I understand why you want him above Erskine if it means adding in a higher pick, but even that one, I wouldn't do.

We currently have Klemm and Sweeney as our last pairing, and the latter especially has played amazing. Hell, maybe even our best defenseman as of the last few months. Witt won't edge out Klemm, and with the way Sweeney is playing, Witt isn't really much of an upgrade.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Famous Flames

What's Witt's contract status?

Old
02-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Flames
What's Witt's contract status?
From the top of my head, he makes close to 1.7 million and is a RFA at season's end. However, Witt is known for going to arbitration, holding out, and that kinda stuff..

Old
02-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Famous Flames

Hmm. Witt intrigues me, but I would tend to agree he is not a necessity for a playoff run (although he would add depth). A trade would have to make sense long term. Erskine and 3rd would probably make sense from Dallas' perspective. Dallas gets what they expect Erskine to turn out to be without having to wait on it. Caps get a prospect similar to Witt and a decent pick.

Old
02-27-2004, 08:19 AM
hockeyhomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Not much, to be honest. Witt is terribly overrated, he wouldn't even be an upgrade big anough to warrant Sweeney to sit. John Erskine has the potential to develop into a simular Witt, I rather hold onto him than add crucial picks for an unnecessay asset. Conchar, now we're talking, but I wouldn't give much of value for Witt.

Jancevski started on the AHL All star team so I understand why you want him above Erskine if it means adding in a higher pick, but even that one, I wouldn't do.

We currently have Klemm and Sweeney as our last pairing, and the latter especially has played amazing. Hell, maybe even our best defenseman as of the last few months. Witt won't edge out Klemm, and with the way Sweeney is playing, Witt isn't really much of an upgrade.
M=G... Believe it or not, I have got to agree with you here. Witt has nothing on the O end, just a career high 11pts and his +/- is horrible and that come on some Caps teams that were making the playoffs and pre season favorites, in some peoples eyes. I really can't see giving up much more than some future picks.. I thinl all of your D prospects, Jan, Daly, Erskine, Mac, could prob. hold up as well as Witt.. Just nothing there that impresses me about Witt.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Otter29

I think that Brendan Witt is definitely a serviceable defenseman and Grier is a nice player. However I don't understand why the Stars are willing to give up young players or picks unless it's for a scoring LW that can play in the top two lines or a D-man that can break the top 4.

I don't really feel adding Witt and Grier makes us that much better as a team. I would love to see them add Brian Leetch(unlikey) or a combination of Keith Carney and Petr Sykora(highly unlikely). Hopefully Armstrong dosen't feel he has to overpay for Witt just for the sake of making a trade.

Closed Thread