HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bettman: "Balsillie has no intentions to moving team"

Old
05-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
I have to agree, but also from the perspective that the NHL will not want "bad faith" as well. David Stern eventually admitted into being mislead by Heisley when the NBA Grizziles moved out of Vancouver (ie, the team did no marketing the final year, nor return many phone calls regarding season tickets), and I am sure most leagues learned from this and will not want this to happen again.

Giving further credence to this - Bob McKenzie was on local radio today and he is sure that the NHL will make Balsillie understand that he cannot in any way sabotage the ticket drive (ie, rasing prices, not returning calls, stop advertising and no marketing etc..).

As an aside, McKenzie also mentioned that Metro should purchase any remaining tickets if the difference will cost them less than (for example) $1 million so that if Balsillie really does eventually want to move, that this amount would be an investment into a blackmail down the road to increase the $18 million penalty by (say) $10-15 million to break the lease. McKenzie does think that Balsillie does want to move the team, but he expects there to be "many, many, many, many hoops and many of those hoops will be on fire"
I understand what you are saying, but what can the league do about it? The clause is already in place. If the sale goes through, what can the league really do after that in terms of making sure he brings forth a "good faith" effort.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I understand what you are saying, but what can the league do about it? The clause is already in place. If the sale goes through, what can the league really do after that in terms of making sure he brings forth a "good faith" effort.
It is not necessarily the league that would have a cause of action. It is the city itself. It would constitute a breach of good faith with respect to the agreement between the team and the city.

That being said, it would not surprise me if the league by-laws have provisions stating that teams must use best efforts to market their teams, etc. If that is the case, then the league could step in and exercise their remedies under the by-laws.

Incidentally, the NHLPA might also have a cause of action if an owner were intentionally suppressing their revenue, as this would have an impact on the players' share under the CBA.

All in all, it would be an extraordinarily bad idea.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002 View Post
It is not necessarily the league that would have a cause of action. It is the city itself. It would constitute a breach of good faith with respect to the agreement between the team and the city.

That being said, it would not surprise me if the league by-laws have provisions stating that teams must use best efforts to market their teams, etc. If that is the case, then the league could step in and exercise their remedies under the by-laws.

Incidentally, the NHLPA might also have a cause of action if an owner were intentionally suppressing their revenue, as this would have an impact on the players' share under the CBA.

All in all, it would be an extraordinarily bad idea.
I guess I'm more interested to hear about what the league could do after the sale went through. If there is no lease, what can the league really do? As for the bad faith with the city, wouldn't that have to be written in the lease deal with the city if the city was to challenge Balsillie?

Very good point about the NHLPA and the suppression of revenue.

Old
05-29-2007, 02:03 PM
GLM

dont trust ballsilly.

keep calling, keep emailing, keep showing your support for YOUR team.

Good luck nashville in your efforts to keep the preds!!

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac003 View Post
dont trust ballsilly.

keep calling, keep emailing, keep showing your support for YOUR team.

Good luck nashville in your efforts to keep the preds!!
The one thing that we must remember is that although we cannot trust Basillie, we also know that Leipold can not afford to own the team anymore and there were two groups bidding for the franchise and the other bidder was Aucheswitz in Kansas City.

We must continue to make phone calls, write letters, and send e-mails...but should we ask them to block the sale...I'm not sure what would happen then...does Leipold then go straight to the KC group?

Support NHL hockey in Nashville. Make sure the league knows that we want them to keep an eye on the practices of Basillie and make sure that he is acting in good faith.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 03:18 PM
GLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
We must continue to make phone calls, write letters, and send e-mails...but should we ask them to block the sale...I'm not sure what would happen then...does Leipold then go straight to the KC group?

Support NHL hockey in Nashville. Make sure the league knows that we want them to keep an eye on the practices of Basillie and make sure that he is acting in good faith.
thats what alot of the pens fans did. i know i had my fair share of emails and calls. we bought a season 1/2 tix plan in order to try and show support even with the uncertainty of the future of our pens. even though we only bought a 1/2 plan, it was two seats that were previously unsold. every little bit helps.

us pens fans feel your pain.

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
The one thing that we must remember is that although we cannot trust Basillie, we also know that Leipold can not afford to own the team anymore and there were two groups bidding for the franchise and the other bidder was Aucheswitz in Kansas City.....
Given the 2, it would appear that Basillie might be (by a hair) the lesser of 2 evils, in that we are virtually 100% sure that the other group has designs on KC.

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Gutchecktime

What if Balsillie is OK with staying in Nashville?

I'm not suggesting you stop the phone calls and support, but if it turns out that Balsillie has no intentions of moving the team, will any of you take back the, you know... calls for death, mentions of rotting carcases, etc?

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 04:50 PM
hockeydadx2*

The problem is, since he's lied about the Pens, and since he's a documented tax cheat, how can you believe a word he says? It's fairly clear that honesty is not something of any importance to him.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Slightly OT, but I've been reading a lot of threads about this, and I felt like saying this a few times around the boards.

In regards to Balsillie and the Penguins, despite what people may tell you, it was NEVER confirmed he wanted to move the team. In fact, he had already assembled a group to begin negotiating with PA officials in regards to an alternate arena plan in case the slots bill went elsewhere. (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06356/748170-61.stm)

Many will point to the meeting with the Board of Governors. Okay, it was a condition of approval that Jim Balsilile agree to keep the team in Pittsburgh. But that was one of a list of many conditions made by the board. The media just took the ball and ran with that one, everyone assumed that was why he pulled out, because he wouldn't be able to move the team. Very little was said about the NHL demanding Jim Balsillie agree to a contigency plan that would allow the NHL to take over his team. How can anyone say for sure which conditions he agreed to and which ones he did not? (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06350/746642-61.stm)

Fans and media are like vultures when it comes professional team moving, and they suck every last bit of speculation they can.

Keep in mind that this man initially agreed to buy the Penguins whilst they were locked in a contract that potentially had the Penguins in Pittsburgh for 30 years. That seems like an awful risk to pay $175 million banking on the decision of a Gaming Board.

I don't buy this notion that just because Balsillie wants to own a team that he wants to move one as well, especially when the foundation of this notion is based on his dealings with the Penguins.

He didn't "come out" and say anything. He told Gary Bettman in a meeting, there is no putting up a public face to this at all.
True, it never was, and it's entirely possible that we were all paranoid and he had every intention of keeping the team in Pittsburgh. The red flag for me, though, was that at the time he was negotiating to buy the Pens he had a lease with Copps Coliseum in Hamilton to bring an NHL team there, and had already approached Bettman about getting an expansion team for the area.

The good news for Preds fans is that I don't believe he has any such lease agreement at this point, and he was told by Bettman that he would have to build an arena rather than play at Copps.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
The problem is, since he's lied about the Pens
Actually, we don't really have proof that he lied about the Penguins. All that we know is that he backed out due to "conditions" placed on him at the last minute. At this point, it's only speculation that it was because he couldn't move the team.

My point is, that maybe people should save the death threats until... he actually does something bad?

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
What if Balsillie is OK with staying in Nashville?

I'm not suggesting you stop the phone calls and support, but if it turns out that Balsillie has no intentions of moving the team, will any of you take back the, you know... calls for death, mentions of rotting carcases, etc?
I think most people are way past the anger phase and have since stopped making comments as you mentioned. I think the bulk of the e-mails, phone calls, and letters are really simply asking for the league to watch over Basillie and force him to honor his end of the lease as long as we honor ours.

Most people's concerns are that he will not make a good faith attempt at making the Nashville market "work" even if we go out at the grassroots levels and market the heck out of the team and meet the 14k paid attendance mark this season.

Some fear that he will comp 3,000+ tickets/game and make it impossible to even meet the 14k mark or that he will gut the ticket sales staff and order them not to answer the phone/return phone calls (see NBA's Vancouver Grizzlies prior to moving to Memphis), some fear that he will cut the marketing budget to bare bones, I for one fear that he will drastically cut the budget in the game presentation department (which I can understand would be limited to get the budget in the black ink, but for those of you that have ever come to a Predators game...you know it is a staple of our franchise and the atmosphere surrounding a Predators game), etc.

Personally, I think the sale will go through and he will say the right things. But the major issue is going to be his actions and whether or not they indicate a sincere commitment to making it work here in Nashville and since his stated goal is to "get his name on the Cup"...whether or not he puts the front office in the position to achieve that goal.

As for Gnashville, he has floated in and out of being extreme (as he is rightfully entitled) for most of the past year. Please don't take Gnashville's posts as being representative to the rest of us. Thanks!

BTW, I guess to answer your question...the effort is still going to be there in full force, but the message is not what I think you think it is. It is a message of wanting support from the league in terms of being a watchdog.

Old
05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. But for the life of me, I can't imagine why you'd wish that on another human being. I know people have a special bond with their hockey team. I let my team, and the game in general consume my thoughts FAR too much for any reasonably sane person to justify. And man, I don't know what I'd do if there was ever a threat of my team leaving.

But life > hockey. There's just no reason to do with hockey that I would ever wish someone to die over it. Hopefully, the Preds will stay, and you'll calm down and realize this too.

BTW, I'd love another team up here but not at the expense of someone else. Especially when it's the corporate folks at fault. So good luck!
Just as I thought about my grandmother I realized it was 21 years ago yeasterday that she passed. I may have went too far wishing death on him, but it does not change my opinion of him or change the fact that he is a liar and is building an arena in Canada to move the Predators to.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I let my team, and the game in general consume my thoughts FAR too much for any reasonably sane person to justify.
Sorry, that just makes me laugh...it's the best way to put into words what so many of us go through.

Old
05-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
I do, as I've stated many times...I grew up in Hartford...literally five miles from the Hartford Civic Center. My bedroom window for about six years faced the HCC. I loved going to games and vividly remember both my excitement going to my first game March 28, 1988 and going to THE last game. My best friend thanked me in our senior class yearbook saying that taking him to the final game was the best present he has ever received. A part of me still bleeds blue and green.

However, this situation is unique and vastly different from the one in Hartford. WE STILL HAVE A PRETTY GOOD MEASURE OF CONTROL HERE! If the league backs us up on the issue (AND COMMISSIONER BETTMAN SAID YESTERDAY THEY WOULD), we can hold the Predators to their lease by buying tickets and meeting the 14k MINIMUM paid attendance mark.

Not Hartford, Quebec, Winnipeg, or even Pittsburgh had that opportunity! The No. 1 issue with all of those cities was getting a new arena in addition to obvious ticket sale demands.

The Predators should not be "dead" to you. They are still here in Nashville and we can still go out and support them. As a matter of fact, I fully expect everyone to support the players, coaches, and staff even if you don't like the owner.

Attend games or don't attend games...that is your choice. But I can guarantee you that you will never forgive yourself if you do not attend as many games as you can right now should the team wind up leaving down the road. There is a great hockey team playing down at 501 Broadway...great moments are yet to occur, don't kick yourself in the future for missing out on that.

I don't speak for anyone else, but I for one am going to tell you that your extreme comments irk me in a special way...and that is probably because I have lost a team that I loved with all of my heart...I ask you to strongly consider ending your reign of doom and gloom and stop acting like a troll on our own messageboards.

Again, it's all your choice...but I think you are painting our market in a negative light and encouraging attacks from uninformed parties due to your extremely emotional and loosely fact based posts.

Thanks for reading...
The Nashville Predators are almost dead face it. Even if we sell out the building for the next few years. Basillie will gut the team to a level of 10 win seasons and/or raise prices to the extreme (300 dollar uperdeck seats) to drive down attendance. He has no interest in staying long term He will stay until his arena is complete in Kitchener or wherever. He is the worst thing to ever happen to Nashville Tennessee. Why give my hard earned money to him, so he can take my team to Canada.

Old
05-29-2007, 07:50 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
That said, as I mentioned in the business forum, having a team in K/W is not consistent with the NHL's goal of getting a major US TV deal.

This team may move, but it won't be to K/W.
A major US T.V deal is pipe dream, its never going to happen. No one (no offense, I'm speaking generally) in the US cares about hockey. In the US hockey is a relgional sport with pockets of very loyal fans, but no real overall, national support. For the NHL to thrive it needs to have a stronger pressence in Canada and stick to those strong hockey markets, and live on live attendence and local T.V money.

Quote:
NO because Balsillie is a worthless piece of garbage
Why is a guy who is (and hes one of the very, very few) willing fork out hundreds of millions of dollars for a team and just wants it to be close to where he lives and in a market that will turna profit rather then be one of the worest drawing teams in the NHL, a piece of garbage?

sluggo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 08:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanek-26 View Post
A major US T.V deal is pipe dream, its never going to happen. No one (no offense, I'm speaking generally) in the US cares about hockey. In the US hockey is a relgional sport with pockets of very loyal fans, but no real overall, national support. For the NHL to thrive it needs to have a stronger pressence in Canada and stick to those strong hockey markets, and live on live attendence and local T.V money.

Why is a guy who is (and hes one of the very, very few) willing fork out hundreds of millions of dollars for a team and just wants it to be close to where he lives and in a market that will turna profit rather then be one of the worest drawing teams in the NHL, a piece of garbage?
as "pipe dream" as that may be, the BOG\Bettman aren't going to simply concede that, say "we gave it a shot," and take 40 steps back by allowing another team in an area that hardly even has its own network affiliates. The NHL will make its way to Canada again...Winnipeg, maybe Quebec if they get an arena...these are viable options, but it will likely be through the next wave of expansion rather than relocation. I'm not saying the preds can't\won't be moved, but the stars would have to be aligned in a pretty special way to make it happen to K\W\C.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Because he has no interest in staying in the city that helped pay for the team to be founded or the fans that have become hockey fans because of the team being here. He may be the national hero in Canada for moving the team there but don't let the Canadian media or him fool you the Predators are very much loved here in Nashville. Add to that he was going to do the Same thing to Pittsburgh and thier fans. He does not care one bit about anyone but himself and his ego. That is the best defination of a piece of Garbage.

Old
05-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I don't mind seeing passion, and for Predator fans, I'm going to give you guys some more room to work at this time. That said, I will not allow certain types of comments to pass. The person that made said comments has been dealt with, and for all others that had posts removed, they were removed to keep the thread consistent.

05-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
A major US T.V deal is pipe dream, its never going to happen. No one (no offense, I'm speaking generally) in the US cares about hockey. In the US hockey is a relgional sport with pockets of very loyal fans, but no real overall, national support. For the NHL to thrive it needs to have a stronger pressence in Canada and stick to those strong hockey markets, and live on live attendence and local T.V money?.......
Never say never.

Tell me if we were back in the 1950s that you would have predicted NFL to overtake MLB by the turn of the century? These changes take place over generations, and it is very short-sighted of you think the NHL is not thinking long-term. A US TV deal is the NHL's goal, however long it takes.

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 09:47 AM
AA87

It's no secret that Jim is going to tell Gary everything he wants to hear right now. Whether he means any of it remains to be seen.

Personally I dont buy it for a second. A few hours before the sale of the Nashville Predators was even announced Jim called Carl Zehr, the Mayor of Kitchener.

Coincidence? Suuure it was.

Dont trust this man for a second.

AA87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 10:01 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I think, in the wake of the purchase, you've seen exactly why Gary Bettman has overseen the NHL as it went from arguably the 3rd best pro sport in America to teetering on being excluded from consideration as 'major.' He has no concept of leadership. He could have easily put out this fire in the Nashville community if he hadn't sat idly by for a LONG time while speculation and rumors were rampant. A simple "As long as fan support continues to increase at the pace its enjoyed since '02/'03, the Preds WILL remain in Nashville" would have done wonders. But you have to hear things like this from members of the Canadian media such as Mr. Mckenzie instead of from Bettman.
Excuse me? Isn't it the owner's responsibility to squash the rumors and speculators? How is Gary Bettman cause for all the evil and destruction in the world? I don't feel good about the Predators new owner...this is who your anger should be pointed towards.

It's like this: shouldn't you take time and actually invest in a market? It takes time, juniors.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Personally I dont buy it for a second. A few hours before the sale of the Nashville Predators was even announced Jim called Carl Zehr, the Mayor of Kitchener.
Source?

Old
05-30-2007, 10:16 AM
predfan24

Did it ever occur to anyone that leoipold might not invoke the cure clause? Let's say he doesn't activate it? Does Balsille have to stay here for at least another 7 years? I realize the chances of this are slim however one can dream.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Source?
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...-4591060c.html

"If he chose to have it in Kitchener, we are prepared to assist in finding an appropriate site and doing what we can to make sure it gets here," said Kitchener Mayor Carl Zehr, who spoke with Balsillie on Thursday morning. "He's not at that stage yet. There are many things to be done before you'd even be at that stage."

Brazz is offline   Reply With Quote