HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Whats better? Ice or Rollar Hockey

Old
05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
vivianmb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
I have played roller and been part of a champion team. Rolle is actually harder then ice, you push off more on your blades.
do you play on the side of the throgs neck? i drove by that rink a million times on the cross island , but i never saw anyone on it.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 06:48 PM
GruntyCanuck

I play both roller and ice, but I much prefer ice. But I am a LOT better on ice than roller.

GruntyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 06:50 PM
MikeD

from the goalie perspective, Roller is harder, more challanging but ice is more fun for me. Ball floor hockey is even harder in many respects.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
do you play on the side of the throgs neck? i drove by that rink a million times on the cross island , but i never saw anyone on it.
I played at that rink for a couple of seasons. WORST RINK EVER. The puck bounces like a superball because its unpaved, and it obviously tears up your skate wheels.

On to the original question, ice, no contest.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 07:57 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I'm gonna say inline because it's affordable and you can play WHENEVER you want.... Ice hockey is way too expensive...

I play inline hockey 3x a week and it doesn't put a dent in my wallet....

IMHO you can't have this discussion without taking into account the cost of playing ice hockey....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 08:04 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
I enjoy both, just moved back to ice after 15 or so years with just roller. Ice is better but the late games here make it tough. Roller is cheap and can be just as fun, on a really good sportcourt rink. Our decent roller rinks here now are all open air so I've moved back to ice just to play consistantly and now remember how much better the ice game can be, but both are fun. For the record, I'm much better at inline right now.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Greeneye

Hockey is played on Ice.

Greeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
Hockey is played on Ice.
Ice hockey is played on ice. You're welcome.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Neither. Street hockey beats all.

05-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Humewasright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady_Milkman72 View Post
It depends what aspects of hockey you like most, they are actually fairly different games.

I feel like a lot of posters in here haven't witnessed high level roller hockey, where cutting and turning, and stopping on a dime are not real issues...

Personally, I like how wide open and end to end the action can get in roller, but I also like the speed of ice... I guess I'll give the slight edge to roller, because I am a bit better at it.
I prefer roller because I can't skate like that on the ice, and can skate like that on sportcourt (wouldn't even call myself a high end player). Seems like a lot of the heavy folks that can't do roller do well on the ice, I'm a skinny guy and I suck on the ice. To confuse things more, I skate on a full rocker which is supposed to be a thing for transitioning ice players, and I can't skate at all with all 4 wheels down. I just don't get it.

Humewasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 10:49 PM
BladesOfTeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Ice hockey is played on ice. You're welcome.
+1. Thank you- I never understood the need for "purists" to hate on roller hockey, what's the deal? They just come off as pretentious and arrogant.

Roller hockey and also field hockey are perfectly legitimate sports, and both are different sports then ice hockey. They both have pro leagues and college leagues, just like ice hockey, and given the state of ice hockey right now, you cant argue that any of them are major sports.

Get over yourself.

BladesOfTeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 08:08 AM
slade

Quote:
+1. Thank you- I never understood the need for "purists" to hate on roller hockey, what's the deal? They just come off as pretentious and arrogant.

Roller hockey and also field hockey are perfectly legitimate sports, and both are different sports then ice hockey. They both have pro leagues and college leagues, just like ice hockey, and given the state of ice hockey right now, you cant argue that any of them are major sports.

Get over yourself.
agreed that the mindset is just ridiculous.

the haters probably play neither.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 08:51 AM
nni

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
chelsea piers?
yup.

Quote:
is abe stark still open?, what about long beach? or hackensack four rinks?or pelham ?
i heard there's a new rink in staten island.
the rink on staten island isnt new, it has been there for more than a decade. aviator in brooklyn is new.

nni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 08:52 AM
nni

Quote:

Get over yourself.

while im not a hater, given the state of hockey, it is still a major sport especially when compared to the other options you present. did a little hating there yourself

Old
05-30-2007, 10:04 AM
slade

chelsea is EXPENSIVE- im already paying this nyc rent

i think someone mentioned earlier that roller hockey is harder- i have to disagree. i think more leg power is needed for ice where you really have to dig that blade in the ground to push off, where as a good number of roller hockey players can just hop around for speed.
(aka mark recchi's skating stride)

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 10:27 AM
nni

aviator is cheaper, but chelsea is basically as good as it gets. but yeah very expensive.

Old
05-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Brunomics

gotta be ice hockey, it is such a team game where roller hockey is the equivilant to basketball on skates with no check, no offsides, 4 on 4 play. Plus I find there is a lot more prima donnas out on the roller rink

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 11:38 AM
roast

I love em' both...but i'll put it this way. I think its pretty clear who grew up playing roller and who grew up playing ice. The kids that grew up playing ONLY roller use the stick like none other! I played roller in college and it was brutal! Ice I just stuck to the adult leagues because I had been out of playing for a year and knew I couldn't make the college team right off the bat. I also noticed that parents, as well as their kids who's primary game was roller complained a whole hell of a lot more about EVERYTHING. As Brunomics said, a LOT of prima donnas...but its hard to put them in their place because you can't hit.

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 02:25 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nni View Post
yup.

the rink on staten island isnt new, it has been there for more than a decade. aviator in brooklyn is new.
i moved out of nyc in 2002. where is aviator?by kings plaza?

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Greeneye

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade View Post
agreed that the mindset is just ridiculous.

the haters probably play neither.
Actually I have played both. Sorry but roller sucks. As someone else said, it is like basketball on skates. I love seeing the roller hockey hot shots come out to play ice and think they are going to dominate...only to watch them take wide turns and take ten feet to stop.

Greeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 04:11 PM
nni

Quote:
i moved out of nyc in 2002. where is aviator?by kings plaza?
floyd bennet field.

Old
05-30-2007, 06:24 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
roller... i played it first, and i play it better... i play both right now, but with school starting in the fall, i'm just gonna do roller... i'm better at it, it's closer to work, and as mentioned before, it's way less expensive.

... and there isn't just ice, roller, or even field hockey... (not the least of which is underwater hockey)... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey#...orms_of_hockey

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 06:27 PM
spoon*

Ice...Like it better, better at it.

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Polska

Ice. I grew up playing roller and only made the switch about 3 years ago, but have only played a handful of roller games since, and none in the last year. I'm probably still better at roller but it's just not nearly as enjoyable. Ice hockey is so much smoother. Easier to stickhandle, shoot, skate, stop, everything. Much more fun.

Polska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 08:36 PM
BladesOfTeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
Actually I have played both. Sorry but roller sucks. As someone else said, it is like basketball on skates. I love seeing the roller hockey hot shots come out to play ice and think they are going to dominate...only to watch them take wide turns and take ten feet to stop.
Really? Because I love seeing ice hockey hot shots come out to play roller and think they are going to dominate... only to watch them fall over when trying to stop, and slip when trying to push off.

It works both ways, get rid of the superiority complex. They are different sports.

BladesOfTeal is offline   Reply With Quote