HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues interested/signed G Jonas Hiller???

Old
04-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
I was almost ready to concede Bacashihua being the Blues backup next season. I now take back that prediction.
My, that's awfully big of you.

04-26-2007, 10:42 AM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
My, that's awfully big of you.
Well I honestly was starting to believe Bacashihua was going to be the backup next season. He was playing well to end the season, both in the NHL and the AHL. Sanford looked no his way out. So it was starting to look like that was the most logical conclusion to reach. However now this signing happens now, which changes everything.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Louis sports fan View Post
I saw this over on the prospects board under the Undrafted FA title and it says the Blues are rumored to be close to signing Goalie Jonas Hiller of HC Davos, he's 6'2 174 and dob is 12/2/82 and he was Swiss goalie of the year. If this is accurated this is a real head-scratcher, but value is value I guess. can anyone confirm this?
There would be too much of a goaltender log jam in The Blues' system if Hiller were brought to North America, without a plan to jettison Sanford and, either Cash or CBT. I see Hiller as pegged for Peoria. probably better to have Schwarz be the number 1 in The AHL, rather than back-up in St. Louis. But they'd have the flexibility to have Schwarz in either place with Hiller as back-up in Peoria.

I really believe that The Blues will try to package Cash and a defenceman (Bäckman or Salvadore), along with a draft choice, to pick up a quality young scoring forward. If so, and Sanford is dumped off, there would be room for Hiller. I don't think CBT's error in dealing with the police is a factor in Hiller's signing.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I think people are giving short shrift to the shoot-two-into-the-sun plan.

(If we can't get a good offer, that is.)

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Irish Blues

As of May 7, Hiller has not been officially signed to an NHL contract.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 03:41 AM
jonas234567

Hiller said that he'll look into the offers after the WC. It's said that several NHL-teams are very interested in signing him, but only the Blues are known. Andy Murray said yesterday again (in an interview with Swiss television) that they will offer Hiller a contract for sure.

jonas234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 04:42 PM
concept*

From The Hockey News website

Quote:
Jonas Hiller may not be a household name but Canada has good reason to take the Swiss goaltender seriously at the IIHF World Hockey Championship.

Hiller supplanted David Aebischer to grab the starting job for Switzerland at the tournament and has been among the best goalies in the competition.

If the Swiss are to pull off an upset over Canada in Thursday's quarter-final game (8:15 a.m. ET), he'll have to play a starring role.
From the read of this, if the Blues land him you can probably kiss two goalies good-bye.

Last edited by Irish Blues: 05-10-2007 at 05:28 PM.
concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Robb_K

It seems that Hiller's signing might be an indication that Bacashiua or CBT might go in a trade package with Bäckman or Salvadore and maybe a relatively high draft choice for a proven young NHL scoring forward. I hope so. The Blues will need such a trade to get the 2nd top six forward, as they will likely only be able to sign one UFA top-tier forward.

Old
05-11-2007, 03:13 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
It seems that Hiller's signing might be an indication that Bacashiua or CBT might go in a trade package with Bäckman or Salvadore and maybe a relatively high draft choice for a proven young NHL scoring forward. I hope so. The Blues will need such a trade to get the 2nd top six forward, as they will likely only be able to sign one UFA top-tier forward.
I'm not sure how you got ALL OF THAT from a Hiller signing. I'd agree that it appears that at least one of them are on the way out.

CuSa_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 06:03 PM
StLooFrenchy

How does anybody get anything out of any of this? It's a rumor, there is no official Blue's declaration of Hillers signing, just a rumor. How anyone can start making conjectures as to how the team will deal with their existing goalies, based on what amount to manure, is beyond me. This is not intelligent discourse.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:06 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
How does anybody get anything out of any of this? It's a rumor, there is no official Blue's declaration of Hillers signing, just a rumor. How anyone can start making conjectures as to how the team will deal with their existing goalies, based on what amount to manure, is beyond me. This is not intelligent discourse.
Well, since Hiller has seemingly replaced Aebischer as the top Swiss goalie, his signing would be more than just depth reasons. He'd have a legitimate chance to be the Blues' future goalie(granted Schwarz has that mantle at the moment, but it's never bad to have options).

Long story short, if Hiller signs, he's competing with Legace for the starting job next year.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1 View Post
I'm not sure how you got ALL OF THAT from a Hiller signing. I'd agree that it appears that at least one of them are on the way out.
First of all, my quote said MIGHT be an indication that Bacashiua might be traded, OR CBT might be traded. I didn't imply that The Blues intend to get rid of BOTH goalies.

Of course, as Hiller hasn't signed yet, I meant that IF The Blues really will try to sign Hiller, it might mean that they are already planning to make such a trade for a forward, and feel (based on their target trade partner's needs) that one of their young goalies is an essential part of the package, necessary to obtain the forward they covet.

Old
05-26-2007, 09:53 AM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Hiller has been signed by Anaheim, and has been confirmed at eurohockey.net/transfers.

Last edited by On Axis: 05-26-2007 at 11:04 AM.
On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

if Hiller was more concerned with winning than money or playing time.....can't say i blame him. which team is still playing, again???

it's a much easier sell when your team goes deep into the playoffs...not to mention having the 2 headed D-monster that will be playing in front of him in Anaheim...that's got to be a nice comfort.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 12:23 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Send a message via AIM to On Axis
It disapoints me a bit, I wanted to see what he could do. But this also means we might have to hold on to Sanford or Bacashihua to backup Legace, unless we go after a backup goalie in the free agent market, which is pretty thin on talent (Caron, Markkanen, Garon, Burke, Dunham). Schwarz is a possibility, but I think he'll get another year in the AHL.

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
It disapoints me a bit, I wanted to see what he could do. But this also means we might have to hold on to Sanford or Bacashihua to backup Legace, unless we go after a backup goalie in the free agent market, which is pretty thin on talent (Caron, Markkanen, Garon, Burke, Dunham). Schwarz is a possibility, but I think he'll get another year in the AHL.
I agree. I think Blues' management will want Schwarz starting in The AHL, so he can develop his game more. Even if they move Cash in a package trade, to get their value high enough to return a good, young scoring forward, they can always resign Sanford to a one-year deal. He probably won't get other NHL offers in the mean time. If, somehow he"s not available, they should be able to sign an adequate backup (there should be a few around).

Old
05-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Rush11

I just have the feeling that if the Blues get rid of Cash, he will develop into a stud goalie for someone else...

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush11 View Post
I just have the feeling that if the Blues get rid of Cash, he will develop into a stud goalie for someone else...
Maybe but if you have Legace and Marek behind him, Legace signed for 2 years, if Cash is the extra value you may need then if your the Blues I think you do it. One thing have have is a depth overall in the net. People view both Marek and BB as future franchise goalies. I like to think the hard part would be deciding which one of those 2 to trade when the time comes.
I myself love Bishops size and style (6'5" Butterfly). I mean he's on his knees and you still covers the net top to bottom.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 03:52 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
Maybe but if you have Legace and Marek behind him, Legace signed for 2 years, if Cash is the extra value you may need then if your the Blues I think you do it. One thing have have is a depth overall in the net. People view both Marek and BB as future franchise goalies. I like to think the hard part would be deciding which one of those 2 to trade when the time comes.
I myself love Bishops size and style (6'5" Butterfly). I mean he's on his knees and you still covers the net top to bottom.
Well, Schwarz should have either proven or disproven his potential by then (at least to an extent to make a judgement).

If the organization believes that those two are the 2 of the future then you play Schwarz and bring Bishop up eventually and have a Nabakov/Toskala or ANA duo type of situation. I don't see any reason to trade on off until we know which one is better.

Old
05-27-2007, 04:18 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

You can never have too many blue chip goaltending prospects in the pipeline when you've never won a Cup.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 05:09 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
You can never have too many blue chip goaltending prospects in the pipeline when you've never won a Cup.
Having ever won a cup has nothing to do with it. You can never have too many blue chip goaltending prospects .

Old
05-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain View Post
if Hiller was more concerned with winning than money or playing time.....can't say i blame him. which team is still playing, again???
Of course, if you can play on a team that's in the Finals this year and will pay you $850,000 if you're in the NHL with the chance to earn another $2.35 million in bonuses (like Anaheim is going to do for '07-08), that's even better.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 04:13 AM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1 View Post
Well, Schwarz should have either proven or disproven his potential by then (at least to an extent to make a judgement).

If the organization believes that those two are the 2 of the future then you play Schwarz and bring Bishop up eventually and have a Nabakov/Toskala or ANA duo type of situation. I don't see any reason to trade on off until we know which one is better.
Please see the "when the time comes" at the end of my first paragraph. Never said we trade either of one Schwarz and BB now.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 12:46 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
Please see the "when the time comes" at the end of my first paragraph. Never said we trade either of one Schwarz and BB now.
Right and my point is that when the time comes, we'll have seen them enough to know which one is closer to a "shutdown" goalie. My post wasn't meant as a direct refute of your post.