HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

Des Moines Buccaneers

Old
01-19-2006, 08:29 PM
BucsGyrl16

vCash: 500
Des Moines Buccaneers

Neone have a clue as to how good these guys are? I know someone on the team who's a pretty good player, but got trade from Saskatoon, to Prince Albert, and then Des Moines got his rights from PA and he's playing there now.....let me know....thx

BucsGyrl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2006, 03:03 PM
JaskulaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsGyrl16
Neone have a clue as to how good these guys are? I know someone on the team who's a pretty good player, but got trade from Saskatoon, to Prince Albert, and then Des Moines got his rights from PA and he's playing there now.....let me know....thx
Ben Van Lare I'm guessing? He's a good player, and a great guy. He has a good attitude on the ice, but off the ice you can tell he'd rather be in the Dub.

His playing style is not well suited to the USHL. It's a soft League, and he normally finishes checks and other players hate him for it, which is a compliment to his play, really. He doesn't carry the puck particularly well, but on his team he doesn't need to. He has been playing first line off and on, he puts up numbers on that unit, but not so much on the others. That line has a potential top 10 pick in Kyle Okposo on it, and along with Trevor Lewis is a very fast line, so at times Van Lare is a little slow for them.

He needs to assume more of an enforcer role on his team. It is a soft team in a soft league, with alot of skill players, a team that needs more toughness to win the playoffs (they are currently tied for first in the Eastern Division). If Ben can't put up about a point per game, he needs to start assuming a more protective role on his team as the year wears on. Des Moines nees one of the top tough guys in the League to protect their skill guys (Randy Guzior of Chicago might be an option for Regg Simon before the trade deadline).

He should be VERY good next season, no matter where he is. Good size, strength, and toughness.

JaskulaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2006, 10:22 PM
BucsGyrl16

Let's hope so. He was great in the Dub and well I certainly miss him playing for Saskatoon/PA. I always loved being able to talk to him/see him........and his playing style may not suit the Bucs, but I'm sure he's trying his best. That's all we can expect from him...I mean I bet he still wishes he was back here.......he's only 19(he's 6 years and 2 days younger than me), so....he's almost at his peak which is sad to see.....but what can you do?

Old
05-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Kevin Wey

Van Lare's Style: I think Van Lare's style suits the Buccaneeers or any other USHL hockey team just fine. Des Moines had a real advantage with both Van Lare and Donnie Hallmark in the line-up. Those two were extremely aggressive on the forecheck and laid out all sorts of people. There's no way Ben Van Lare doesn't have a future in minor pro hockey with his speed and hitting ability. You know if you go in a corner with Van Lare that you're going to get hit, hard. Hallmark, only an '88, may have been the best open-ice hitter in the USHL this year. Having those two players added a dimension to the Bucs that many other USHL teams did not have in 2005-06. Van Lare spent some of the season on Trevor Lewis and Kyle Okposo's left wing, because he had the speed to keep up and because he opened up a lot of room for them.

The Bucs had such a well-rounded roster this year...it's why the won the Clark Cup.

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2006, 04:42 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Has someone here seen Trevor Lewis? I heard, he has that much amount of points cause of Okposo?

What's his style? Is he fast and has nice vision?

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 07:53 AM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
Van Lare's Style: I think Van Lare's style suits the Buccaneeers or any other USHL hockey team just fine. Des Moines had a real advantage with both Van Lare and Donnie Hallmark in the line-up. Those two were extremely aggressive on the forecheck and laid out all sorts of people. There's no way Ben Van Lare doesn't have a future in minor pro hockey with his speed and hitting ability. You know if you go in a corner with Van Lare that you're going to get hit, hard. Hallmark, only an '88, may have been the best open-ice hitter in the USHL this year. Having those two players added a dimension to the Bucs that many other USHL teams did not have in 2005-06. Van Lare spent some of the season on Trevor Lewis and Kyle Okposo's left wing, because he had the speed to keep up and because he opened up a lot of room for them.

The Bucs had such a well-rounded roster this year...it's why the won the Clark Cup.
Good post, nice analysis.
Did Van Lare get cut from the DUB, or leave on his own? What were his reasons for going to the USHL?

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Kevin Wey

Van Lare was released by Saskatoon last season, tried out for the Bucs, made the Bucs, but decided to give major juniors one more try, in Prince Albert. Shortly into the season, Prince Albert released Van Lare and I guess Van Lare called Des Moines and they welcomed him on the team with open arms. Who can blame them? What probably made Van Lare more effective in the USHL than in the WHL is how the USHL is, generally, smaller than the WHL and less of a physical league. This is no surprise, because the USHL feeds to college while the WHL is geared towards feeding pro hockey, although some guys do play CIS college hockey after the WHL. The college game is generally considered more of a speed and skill game.

Van Lare isn't small by any stretch, but in the WHL, he wasn't big, and Canada is chalk full of players like Van Lare. In the USHL, Van Lare is a more unique weapon, he's not just another checker. So...

It's always a bummer to see American kids wash out of major juniors and lose the chance to play college hockey. Maybe Van Lare has no inclination to play college hockey, but if you can't crack the WHL, you probably aren't going to play in the NHL. If you don't play in the NHL, then getting a college degree (on a hockey scholarship) is probably the best way to go.

It's my opinion that, unless you're like Peter Mueller and are a sure thing to stick in major juniorsthe WHL and be an impact player, you should probably go the college route. (Unless school isn't your strong point, then maybe using major juniors as a spring board to minor pro is the right option) But, college hockey is a great place to develop physically and mentally, get a near-free education if you're on that hockey scholarship, and develop your game. College hockey has a lot more practices than minor pro or major juniors. It's basically like playing minor league hockey, only you're paid in a scholarship, which is very helpful AFTER hockey. Plus, if you play at a school like Wisconsin or Minnesota, that get great crowds, unless you play in the NHL, you're never going to play in that atmosphere again.

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2006, 04:38 PM
JaskulaR

Van Lare did play 2 full seasons in the WHL. I fully expect him to be one of the best players in the USHL next season. He's a very skilled young man, with a good head on his shoulders. A real nice kid. I've encouraged my boss to trade for him on numerous occasions but to no avail. "A unique weapon" is a very accurate description of him, I feel.

JaskulaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 07:28 PM
BucsGyrl16

Van Lare would be a great asset to any team and someday I'm hoping to see him in the NHL. Possibly for the Dallas Stars, his favourite team. But we'll see. I really miss seeing him around CUC and getting hugs and pics with him. I'd love to have someone down in Des Moines who could update me on his playing status and whatnot......cause it's kinda lonely here without him.

Old
10-12-2006, 12:21 AM
wave rules 1

Bucs 2006 2007

Big mistake to trade Hallmark this year

wave rules 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Quisitor

Is the USHL Becoming a Better Developmental League than the WHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaskulaR View Post
Ben Van Lare I'm guessing? He's a good player, and a great guy. He has a good attitude on the ice, but off the ice you can tell he'd rather be in the Dub ... His playing style is not well suited to the USHL. It's a soft League ...
I've heard a number of players in and around the WHL start to complain that the league is becoming too 'stagnant' in style to suit their purposes.

There are forwards who have commented that they're getting tired of the 'one scoring line, three checking lines' approach that most WHL teams take. There are defensemen who have commented that their main offensive role is to get rid of the puck to a forward as soon as possible, which isn't helping their stickhandling skills as much as could be happening elsewhere.

Having seen a few WHL games last year and this, I can see where there is some validity to their points.

It's interesting to note that the USHL has a perception of being a 'soft' league but that it's acknowledged that their emphasis is on 'speed and skill.' The last time I looked, that's now the emphasis of the NHL under the 'stricter enforcement' policy that led to more scoring and greater attendance last season.

Sounds like the USHL is on the right track for developing both college and pro players. Given the WHL's penalty-fests so far this season, it seems like they're not 'getting it' yet.

Quisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Sorry that this is slightly off topic, but I just moved to Des Moines from NYC (of course, I did this AFTER Okposo leaves, but I've always had bad timing) and wanted to throw a couple things out here:

I don't know anyone around here that's into hockey at all. I used to play a fair amount of street and roller hockey, and was wondering if anyone knew anywhere to play around here? Or if anyone just knew enough people with some interest that maybe we could get some pick up games going. I love to play, I'm not particularly good or anything, but I miss playing.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote