HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

CBA Negotiations having nothing to do with money.

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Malefic74

vCash: 500
CBA Negotiations having nothing to do with money.

While much of the talk referrencing the CBA are dealing with money and caps and such, does anyone happen to know if like baseball, drug-use will be included into the CBA?

Currently a hot-topic in the sports news lately, it certainly needs to be addressed. Right now all 4 leagues are woefully deficient and ineffective as far as their drup policies go, and right now the NHL is by far the most lenient. Since the NHL is always looking for some way to say they are better than the other 3 why not do it here? And since we have all these players who get tested for the Olympics and other International competition and are clean everytime why not extend it to the rest of the players as well?

Or is the NHLPA going to make that impossible?

Old
02-24-2004, 12:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I don't think Drugs are a real concern. What do they really need various performance enhancing drugs for?

Old
02-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I don't think Drugs are a real concern. What do they really need various performance enhancing drugs for?
Ask all those players in the QMJHL.

Old
02-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Schlep Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
While much of the talk referrencing the CBA are dealing with money and caps and such, does anyone happen to know if like baseball, drug-use will be included into the CBA?

Currently a hot-topic in the sports news lately, it certainly needs to be addressed. Right now all 4 leagues are woefully deficient and ineffective as far as their drup policies go, and right now the NHL is by far the most lenient. Since the NHL is always looking for some way to say they are better than the other 3 why not do it here? And since we have all these players who get tested for the Olympics and other International competition and are clean everytime why not extend it to the rest of the players as well?

Or is the NHLPA going to make that impossible?
I think it would be a good idea and I'd hope the NHLPA wouldn't block it. It would be a good faith gesture on their part in negotiations and maybe help in a more critical area.

If a guy is making $4 million in the NFL and is suspended for 4 games because of a violation he just lost $1 million. That's a heavy price to pay but it sure gets the point across.

Now if a guy is making $4 million in the NHL and is found in violation and is suspended 4 games, he just lost about $198,000. Not as big a price but I'd STILL hope it'd get the point across. The key will obviously be setting a punishment that will get the point across.

I think the biggest problem for the NHL isn't drugs but alcohol. Their substance abuse program I personally believe needs to be expanded a bit.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 50
Unless a major scandal erupts I don't expect the NHL to make an issue of drugs in the upcoming CBA negotiations. It's not a subject the NHL wants in the news. It's not a subject the NHLPA wants in the news. Both sides are served by the current policy.

Closed Thread