HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Bettman: "Balsillie has no intentions to moving team"

Old
05-30-2007, 11:20 AM
GSC2k2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
It's no secret that Jim is going to tell Gary everything he wants to hear right now. Whether he means any of it remains to be seen.

Personally I dont buy it for a second. A few hours before the sale of the Nashville Predators was even announced Jim called Carl Zehr, the Mayor of Kitchener.

Coincidence? Suuure it was.

Dont trust this man for a second.
Um, the article does not say that Balsillie called the mayor.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002 View Post
Um, the article does not say that Balsillie called the mayor.
I don't know if Balsillie called the mayor of Kitchener but he definitly talked to him. I think this article was orginally in the Kitchener Record, the largest paper in the area, and his since been picked up in papers accross Canada.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...-4591060c.html

"If he chose to have it in Kitchener, we are prepared to assist in finding an appropriate site and doing what we can to make sure it gets here," said Kitchener Mayor Carl Zehr, who spoke with Balsillie on Thursday morning. "He's not at that stage yet. There are many things to be done before you'd even be at that stage."

Brazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 12:44 PM
preddevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Did it ever occur to anyone that leoipold might not invoke the cure clause? Let's say he doesn't activate it? Does Balsille have to stay here for at least another 7 years? I realize the chances of this are slim however one can dream.
If Leipold doesn't invoke the cure, then Balsillie will have the option of invoking it next year if attendence remains below 14,000.

preddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy82 View Post
I don't know if Balsillie called the mayor of Kitchener but he definitly talked to him. I think this article was orginally in the Kitchener Record, the largest paper in the area, and his since been picked up in papers accross Canada.

"If he chose to have it in Kitchener, we are prepared to assist in finding an appropriate site and doing what we can to make sure it gets here," said Kitchener Mayor Carl Zehr, who spoke with Balsillie on Thursday morning. "He's not at that stage yet. There are many things to be done before you'd even be at that stage."
Right, again, show me where Mr. Balsillie called the Mayor.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 12:47 PM
preddevil

Quote:

Whether or not Basillie is planning to move the team, it would not surprise me to discover that the Mayor is in regular contact with one of his wealthiest (possibly the wealthiest) constituents.

preddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 01:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanek-26 View Post

Why is a guy who is (and hes one of the very, very few) willing fork out hundreds of millions of dollars for a team and just wants it to be close to where he lives and in a market that will turna profit rather then be one of the worest drawing teams in the NHL, a piece of garbage?
I'm sorry weren't we 21st in the league in actual paid attendance? How does that equal "worest drawing teams"

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Right, again, show me where Mr. Balsillie called the Mayor.
read between the lines

Old
05-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
read between the lines
I've done too much of that lately. Follow my post history and you'll likely see it. I'm probably one of the most pessimistic Predators fans when it comes to Balsillie. Quite frankly, I've been too depressed with the matter and have stop caring as I have a good idea as to what the outcome is.

All I can do at this point is do what I can to ensure we reach our attendance figure next season, sticking it to Balsillie for 3 seasons until he gets his new arena built.

Saying that above, I still haven't seen evidence that Balsillie called up the Mayor.

Old
05-30-2007, 02:35 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I e-mailed the management of the Penguins to see what the fans could do to help out in keeping the team in Nashville and this is what they sent.

<Email>

Ray,

First, congratulations on a great season. I also must say I visited Nashville for the first time last summer and absolutely loved it! I can’t wait to go back.

If anyone can understand your situation, it is definitely the Pittsburgh fans. I am not fully aware of all the details of Nashville’s situation. Our situation was probably much different and was mainly driven by the need for a new arena. Mario worked for 7 years to get a new arena and our local government was not making any moves on that. Then the pending sale of the team and the slots license were also factors. It was up and down news everyday. One thing that may or may not be different is that Mario never wanted this team to move out of Pittsburgh and that is what kept our confidence up. He worked very hard to look for someone with intentions of keeping the team in Pittsburgh. From our experience, I can tell you to try not to believe everything you read until things are definite. Everyone assumed Balsillie was going to move our team if he bought it but our executives did not feel that way. As we learned, selling an NHL team is a process and a letter of intent does not always mean the team is moving. I don’t know if you read this article but the sale of the team would have to be finalized and then the NHL would have to approve the move which is not easy.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

Again, I am not sure of the details on your situation but I know our fans sent a lot of e-mail and message board support. They also sent e-mails and letters to all the local, county, and state government officials, as well as the NHL. Our fans also held rallies outside the arena with give-aways and music. Unfortunately when it comes down to it, it is a business and I am sure they have worked very hard to make things work. I can only suggest continuing showing your support and stay positive until the bottom line is drawn. I wish you all the best and I hope your team stays in Nashville.

Thank you,

Amanda

Amanda Rameas

Customer Service Representative

Pittsburgh Penguins

One Chatham Center, Suite 400

Pittsburgh, PA 15219-3447

</Email>

I guess you could take this as good news.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 04:05 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
read between the lines

Sometimes there are just not enough laughing emoticons.

This is one of those times.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

I can't believe the Titanseean Why don't they just print "we hope Predators leave town" on there front page. Now they are making the peice of trash Basillie out to be the good guy!!!
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....24/1328/SPORTS
Quote:
"Jim is the most honest, driven, genuine person that I know," said Ron Foxcroft, who evaluates referees for the National Basketball Association and frequently plays golf with Balsillie. "He has great passion, is a straight shooter, and most important is the consummate family man. His passion is playing hockey and coaching his kids' basketball team. He is considered an icon in the Canadian business community."
What lying tool that Foxcroft guy is.

Last edited by Gnashville: 05-30-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I can't believe the Titanseean Why don't they just print "we hope Predators leave town" on there front page. Now they are making the peice of trash Basillie out to be the good guy!!!
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....24/1328/SPORTS
What lying tool that Foxcroft guy is.
Do you know Mr. Balsillie? I don't trust the guy's intentions, but I can't call what people say about him, especially in terms of his family life, liars. I have no place.

Old
05-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Killiecrankie*

all pens fans are with you, I've already written to the nhl offices again (lol the 12th time this year). I dont trust that *******, I just dont. good luck we are with you in pens land.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 09:47 PM
IBLeaf*

Balsaillie will have intentions...just not specific intentions right now.. read in between the lines guys...

He will eventually move his team as Canada has a much bigger fan base than Nashville..

His business headquarters are in Waterloo too..

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Killiecrankie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellwood View Post
Balsaillie will have intentions...just not specific intentions right now.. read in between the lines guys...

He will eventually move his team as Canada has a much bigger fan base than Nashville..

His business headquarters are in Waterloo too..
Just like the pens huh? Dude shut up you know nothing.

Killiecrankie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 11:43 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Why do I get the feeling this is about to turn into hockey's version of "Major League"?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Masao

Whatever happens, Balsillie will NEVER be able to move the Predators to Hamilton. Toronto and Buffalo will not allow it.

Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 02:21 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
Whatever happens, Balsillie will NEVER be able to move the Predators to Hamilton. Toronto and Buffalo will not allow it.
How far is Detroit from Hamilton or Kitchener/Waterloo area?

Looking on a map, they're all relatively close (not as close as TO/BUF though) and it seems like Detroit should also have a say in this, too.

If he ever did want to move a team back to that area, there could be 6-12 teams in that general area. Detroit, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Ham/K/W, Buffalo. Then just a little farther Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NY Rangers, Islanders, New Jersey, Boston.

Also, would this team play in the East or West? If East, what other team moves West to fill that void? Would he give up playing MTL/OTT/TO/BUF if he goes West? Probably would have to redo the entire divisional system if the team is moved to this area.

Seems too much trouble, stay in Nashville.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
handtrick

This is the firmest proof that I have seen yet that Basillie has every intention of moving this team to Canada.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...31_001140_2400

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 06:57 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
This is the firmest proof that I have seen yet that Basillie has every intention of moving this team to Canada.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...31_001140_2400
This doesn't mean anything. Basically its an agreement on an arena deal, IF Balsille decides to move it, IF he can move it.
Basically the Hamilton politicians are still trying to sway him, giving him rights...IF he wants them AND/OR can do so.
I wouldn't be worried.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 07:18 AM
handtrick

I think it is no coincidence that Basillie is remaining quiet.....Bettman has not come on a local radio show for question and answer [and 104.5thezone, Willy and the program director, have told me personally that they have tried]......we are not rumored to be in the hunt for any major free agents at this point, even or own.....and we are starting to hear reports of deals like this and land purchases near Kitchner by RIM that is big enough to build an arena complex.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 07:44 AM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
How far is Detroit from Hamilton or Kitchener/Waterloo area?
Detroit is about a 4 hour drive. The KW area is Leaf Nation, other then a small small minority nobody follows the Redwings or the Sabres for that matter.

Old
05-31-2007, 07:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Though I don't think the NHL would allow Balsillie to move to Hamilton...even less of a chance than K\W...and definitely not at that arena(he'd definitely need a new one)

This should come as no surprise. Anyone who breathed a sigh of relief when Bettman "reassured" us indirectly was being naive and a little foolish. We know what his intentions are, we just have to thwart them.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 08:55 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I'll say it again: If the NHL allows ********* to move the team I'm done with the NHL.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Jarnberg

I wonder how Bettman would try to spin this latest news about Balsillie re-upping his deal with Hamilton?

"But he told me he didn't want to move them"

We all know Bettman's words are simply to keep as many fans going to Predators games until the team jets out. If he said, "you know what, Balsillie told me he wants to move the team" and announced that to the world, it could have an even worse effect on the Nashville market.

Balsillie is a real threat and his land deal and now this deal with Hamilton confirm it.