HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jarkko Immonen, why no games?

Old
05-31-2007, 05:53 AM
Faktisti*

vCash: 500
Jarkko Immonen, why no games?

why jarkko immonen hast had any real changes to play in nhl. everyone knows that he has the skills to play there.

he has played very well in ahl so im pretty fed up with this

and if i remember right he is 24-25 years old so next season should be the time to breakout

Faktisti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 07:12 AM
NYR469

renney feels that he's too slow for the nhl and the rangers have others that are better

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Faktisti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
renney feels that he's too slow for the nhl and the rangers have others that are better
in his first nhl game he made a goal and center really doesnt need to be the fastest in the team. im pretty sure he will get more speed, u just need to train

Old
05-31-2007, 07:20 AM
NYR469

a center does need speed to keep up with the play...and i'm not saying that I think he is too slow, renney thinks it.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Levitate

His problem is that his lack of speed (though he's not THAT slow) didn't fit very well with the positions that came open for him. The Rangers wanted/needed a guy with some speed who also had some offensive instincts and could play a tenacious game. The offensive instincts are the only things Jarkko has out of those three criteria.

Not saying he's a bad player, he just hasn't fit into a spot with the Rangers, and at this point, probably won't. The Rangers have other players who are more dynamic than Jarkko coming up in the system, and they like those kind of players.

I do think he could find a spot on another team pretty easily though. His time in the AHL hasn't been wasted because other NHL teams know about what he can do and I'd bet one is willing to give him a shot for awhile.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 07:53 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I was one of Immonen's biggest supporters, but he just hasn't stepped it up and shown he's an NHL player. He's had opportunities. There was a forward spot open at training camp, but he was outplayed by Dawes and Dubinsky. He got a call up in December and was centering Shanahan, but did not produce much offense. Since then, he's been viewed as a spare part rather than a potential 2nd line center.

Immo just doesn't do anything well enough to warrant a roster spot. He's solid positionally, but he's not particularly good defensively. He was supposed to be a good playmaker, but even when playing with a goal scorer, he would never do more than push the puck further down the boards and seemed to not want to hold the puck for more than a half-second.

He's a RFA, and I don't know if he's re-sign with the Rangers, or if the Rangers want him back. It's possible that Maloney holds him in higher regard than Sather and Renney, so he might be moved to Phoenix in the offseason.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 08:15 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think if they gave Immonen a slew of games like they did for Hossa he would find his style or niche in the NHL just as Hossa did. Sometimes you need those games to form yourself and sometimes it takes more than just 15-20 games.

Problem is Hossa has more size and more raw skill offensively and i think thats why they held onto him as long as they did and it worked. Not sure Renney and the staff think Immo has enough of those things to warrant that long look. But IMO if you did give him time he would develop nicely.

I think hes right on the cusp of going either way and it might take him some crazy off ice training to ge that extra edge for camp to show them he belongs there (even though he might already). If he wants to make this team hes gonna have to show up in camp big time.

Like Kodiak brought up, theres nothing he does that stands out to warrant that spot, on this particular team...

Wouldnt be surprised if hes included in an offseason deal either.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Faktisti*

arent he an offensive center? he made 70 points in his first ahl season..

mayby that doesnt mean anything then

so he has two choises: 1. find a worse nhl team where he could have a change to develop (if u get 1-3 games in the nhl team, get 6 minutes ice time and then manager puts u back to ahl, its not called real change) and get a role from 2-3 line.

2. go back to europe(there are many teams interested about him) and be a star there

Old
05-31-2007, 08:36 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

First of all, I just think Renney does not trust him defensively, which is a pattern with Renney when it comes to younger players. Considering the re-emphasis that Renney and his staff made from December last year, it's not surprising that Renney considered defensive responsibility as the most important quality when giving young players time.

Last edited by jas: 05-31-2007 at 08:45 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 08:39 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuiskaaja View Post
arent he an offensive center? he made 70 points in his first ahl season..

mayby that doesnt mean anything then

so he has two choises: 1. find a worse nhl team where he could have a change to develop (if u get 1-3 games in the nhl team, get 6 minutes ice time and then manager puts u back to ahl, its not called real change) and get a role from 2-3 line.

2. go back to europe(there are many teams interested about him) and be a star there
But he did get a chance.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...70282&tab=gbgt

He played 11 games with the Rangers in December. He played at least 10 minutes in 9 of those games and had Shanahan on his wing for much of that time. His game might just not translate to the NHL. He wouldn't be the first offensive player who could score in the AHL and Europe, but not the NHL.

Old
05-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Faktisti*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
But he did get a chance.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...70282&tab=gbgt

He played 11 games with the Rangers in December. He played at least 10 minutes in 9 of those games and had Shanahan on his wing for much of that time. His game might just not translate to the NHL. He wouldn't be the first offensive player who could score in the AHL and Europe, but not the NHL.
well he had 1+4 points, and mayby those points he had when he played like 6 games with shanny. not bad from the first nhl games. do u really think that u are a star when u play your first match?

10 games are NOTHING!

30 games are something

Old
05-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post

Immo just doesn't do anything well enough to warrant a roster spot.
In the context of the players who played INSTEAD of Immo, I don't know if I can agree with that assessment. There many nights the Rangers could have been better served by giving Jarkko 8 minutes on the 4th line instead of benching him in favor of 3 shifts from Colton Orr.

Immonen's a guy who can find a place on the bottom 2 lines on most NHL teams. On a team that lives on dies on it's top 2 lines though, it's understandable that he can't find his niche here.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 09:11 AM
Kodiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
In the context of the players who played INSTEAD of Immo, I don't know if I can agree with that assessment. There many nights the Rangers could have been better served by giving Jarkko 8 minutes on the 4th line instead of benching him in favor of 3 shifts from Colton Orr.

Immonen's a guy who can find a place on the bottom 2 lines on most NHL teams. On a team that lives on dies on it's top 2 lines though, it's understandable that he can't find his niche here.
I agree that he could be a decent 3rd line player, but part of Immo's problem is that we have better options for the bottom 6. We needed him to be a top 6 player, and he couldn't translate his offense to the NHL. Cullen and Betts are better centers. Hollweg and Orr can play their game and contribute something in limited minutes. I get the feeling that if Immo was stuck with 4th line minutes, he'd be a roster filler -- a player who doesn't do anything wrong, but also doesn't contribute anything substantial.

Old
05-31-2007, 09:15 AM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
We can't take every guy we think is good in Hartford and put them on NYR. The only guys that got good chances were Callahan, Girardi, Isbister, and Pock. That's it. I'm sure he'll see more games in the next year, but we really can't bring everyone up right away.

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:00 AM
bathgate

Immo has been one of my pet peeves. For those who say he is not defensively rsponsible, I disagree. Renney, on several occasions praised his defensive responsiveness. Further, he is excellent on faceoffs, strong in front of the net, and passes very well. I believe he could play on the Rangers next year. Cullen could be moved to wing. Others can and will disagree. I wish he received more of a chance.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:04 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman1 View Post
We can't take every guy we think is good in Hartford and put them on NYR. The only guys that got good chances were Callahan, Girardi, Isbister, and Pock. That's it. I'm sure he'll see more games in the next year, but we really can't bring everyone up right away.
I don't know if I can agree with Pock. Sure the guy was undrafted, went to Hartford and was brought up to the big club. He still was relegated to the booth on numerous occasions due to Rachunek or another one of our 'Top 6' coming back from injury.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:15 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
in his first nhl game he made a goal
Pretty crafty guy Sorry I had to

Immonen slow? Youd think with his frame that speed would be his biggest weapon

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Speedtrials

I liked Jarkko, and I think maybe in the old NHL he could have made it. However, I think if that second line center spot is open in training camp, Dubinsky will have a better shot at taking it, than Jarkko.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Ola

Quote:
why jarkko immonen hast had any real changes to play in nhl. everyone knows that he has the skills to play there.

and if i remember right he is 24-25 years old so next season should be the time to breakout
Same reason he never got to play for the Finnish National team in the WCH's, or did well in the EHT.

He can stay on top of things in the SM-liigaa and the AHL, though when the tempo gets higher he is marginalized, he aren't around the puck much.

He is good when he gets a chance, though that haven't been enough up to this point.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 11:06 AM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
Immo has been one of my pet peeves. For those who say he is not defensively rsponsible, I disagree. Renney, on several occasions praised his defensive responsiveness. Further, he is excellent on faceoffs, strong in front of the net, and passes very well. I believe he could play on the Rangers next year. Cullen could be moved to wing. Others can and will disagree. I wish he received more of a chance.
I agree, I remember a few times (in his limited games) where he backchecked and helped break up some very good goal scoring chances against.

I would like to keep him around a little longer, he really hasn't received much of an opportunity in the NHL yet. He has put up 8 points in 20 games which isn't terrible either. Now that he has found some chemistry with Dawes and Bourret, maybe they can keep it up if they all get promoted to the big club.

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 11:59 AM
eco's bones

I expect the Rangers to fill 2nd line center from outside the organization in the off season via trade or free agency. Not sure then where Jarkko would fit in. Cullen seemed to have found his niche on the third line. Cullen is preferrable on the 3rd line IMO over Jarkko if for no other reason than he can really skate--he's not one of our better contracts though. Jarkko almost made the team out of camp--however he didn't seem to take the demotion to Hartford well--running up the worst minuses on the team before he was recalled. He was given an opportunity to play with good players and given minutes. He did not create much chemistry with anyone. As Ola pointed out the puck didn't seem to be around him a lot when he did play. He's not the fastest player--neither is Shanahan who he did get a good opportunity with. Lots of problems pressuring the puck in the offensive zone if you can't get in on top of your opponents defense. Someone has to have speed on any line he plays with because he doesn't have enough. I expect he'll go somewhere else over the summer. If he stay in North America I think he'll eventually catch on somewhere in the NHL as a 2nd or 3rd liner. He does have talent.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:10 PM
squishy

Unfortunately, I don't expect Immonen to be in the organization next year, based on his age, and quotes like this:

Quote:
As for the next season. Maloney candidly admitted that Immonen "will probably to a hard look at going back to Europe if he feels that he is not going to get a legitimate chance in New York. We have to talk in the offseason. I think he can play in the league, it's just a matter of finding the right fit."
Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9693

There was also that quote from Renney earlier in the season where he said something along the lines of "Jarkko could play on another team's 2nd or 3rd line..."

I like Immonen a lot, and think he has a future in the NHL. Quite frankly if the Rangers aren't going to give him a legitimate shot, and it looks like they won't, I hope they trade him.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:30 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

He got some good looks from the Rangers. He had the opportunity to make the club and he did not.

Simple answer is his skating. Not fast enough, not strong enough and it hinders a solid two way game.

Look at Callahan. There is a guy who got a chance and earned a spot with strong skating, hits, and 2nd and 3rd efforts on every shift.

Jarko didnt show that kind of game....at least not yet

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:37 PM
blue2noise

Callahan and Girardi have taught me a leeson about when a player is ready and when he isnt. I was a big supporter of getting Immonen some playing time, but after seeing how a rookie is supposed to stand out, frankly Immonen did not cut it.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:44 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9693

There was also that quote from Renney earlier in the season where he said something along the lines of "Jarkko could play on another team's 2nd or 3rd line..."
and so he likely will....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote