HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

looks like they are moving...

Old
05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
looks like they are moving...

though not confirmed that they are, this should all but seal it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...47&hubName=nhl

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 04:05 PM
mmfs*

I wonder what they'll call the team, the Hamilton Stealers?

mmfs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

This could make us a sitting duck franchise.......I sure hope the city comes out and buys up tickets, otherwise, its over.

05-31-2007, 04:36 PM
emb24*

hamilton has the habs AHL franchise - so we're hearing alot about it in montreal. it's not rumor but fact. i feel bad for you guys, balsillie seems determined to be bring a team to ontario

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Dr.Huxtable*

Wowthat was quick, I guess Basille lied to Bettman about not wanting to move the team. Will you guys still follow the NHL if, or should I say when, the Preds move?

Dr.Huxtable* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Jarnberg

Holy crap, YOU DON'T SAY?!?!

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=9...&postcount=865
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=384821
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=384807
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=9416497&postcount=69

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, phew. We might have missed this story.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 05:00 PM
PredDave

I want to kick Jim in the Balsillie!!!!

What a friggin' loser!

I don't even know what to think anymore....

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 05:04 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable View Post
Wowthat was quick, I guess Basille lied to Bettman about not wanting to move the team. Will you guys still follow the NHL if, or should I say when, the Preds move?
No, which will mean we'll become just like the other 99% of America.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 05:10 PM
predperson

Quote:
no....this will leave a bad taste in my mouth that will never go away.
I have spent a fortune on the Preds and if they move, that's the end of NHL hockey for me.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Drury77

Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
what irritates me most about this is the fact that HE DOESN'T OWN THE TEAM YET and he's making plans for an impending move of a franchise he doesn't own.

Bettman is a Freaking loser, and if he had any balls he's nix this sale for being lied too, if that is really what has happened. I'd like to hit them both square between the eyes with a freakin hockey stick

05-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
though not confirmed that they are, this should all but seal it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...47&hubName=nhl
This does not confirm or seal anything, or even make it closer.

As I mentioned in the NHL forum, any intention on his part to move is one thing, whether he will be allowed to by the NHL's Board o Governor's completely different.

The NHL hired Bettman to increase the league's footprint in the US, and I am sure they understand that this mandate is a long-term process. Any move to Canada is basically counter to this mandate.

If the team moves (again, I hope not), it will be to another US city.

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
No, which will mean we'll become just like the other 99% of America.
Fair enough, but doesn't that just give ammo to those who say the fans never really cared much about hockey in the first place?

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Fair enough, but doesn't that just give ammo to those who say the fans never really cared much about hockey in the first place?
Bingo

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:07 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
I don't think it does in this case. When your team is ripped away from you, I think bitter feelings towards the league is to be expected, and frankly, quite understandable.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 01:12 AM
hockey_socks

Quote:
*breaks stealth mode*

Why would we want to? Considering the mean, "better than thou," "YOU DON'T DESERVE A TEAM" nasty attitude that many NHL fans have displayed towards Preds fans over the last week (and for years past), I don't think Tennessee hockey fans would be welcomed to continue to support the team. Particularly if the Preds moved north of Ohio. We would likely become bigger outcasts and punching bags than we already are.

From what I can tell, Preds fans rabidly love the team because they're OURS as much as because of a love of hockey. We've put up with a ton of crap to be a part of and interact with the rest of the NHL fan world. If the team isn't OURS anymore, that makes us much less likely want to put up with the crap that is sure to continue.

I doubt the thousands of dollars many Preds fans spend on hockey will go to the "nearest" NHL teams (Blues, Canes, or Thrashers or whoever), or to the NHL in any fashion, for that matter. The teams are either too far away or are not-so-loved rivals.

Personally I might continue to watch NHL games and such, but my money and non-game time will probably go to supporting some other league or hobby. Who knows, I might stick around if I can find a way to put up with the crap. Then again, I might be too pissed off by then to even look at an NHL game.

hockey_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 01:58 AM
deadinmi

Send a message via AIM to deadinmi
Isn't hamilton really close to Toronto... Like less than an hour.. I know it's Canada, but why in their right minds would whoever owns the Leafs allow another franchise to be this close. I'd vote against the move. As an Wings fan, I'd vote against it too. It's a great rivalry, but you'd take our spot that we've been hoping and coveting and whatnot in the eastern conference... Plus, the Preds style of hockey is more west coast than east, I know they're good, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first season after the move was a losing season either. I'd like to see you guys stay.

deadinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 02:52 AM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadinmi View Post
Isn't hamilton really close to Toronto... Like less than an hour.. I know it's Canada, but why in their right minds would whoever owns the Leafs allow another franchise to be this close. I'd vote against the move. As an Wings fan, I'd vote against it too. It's a great rivalry, but you'd take our spot that we've been hoping and coveting and whatnot in the eastern conference... Plus, the Preds style of hockey is more west coast than east, I know they're good, but I wouldn't be surprised if the first season after the move was a losing season either. I'd like to see you guys stay.
I see no reason why MLSE (those who own the Leafs, Raptors etc in Toronto) or the Sabre's owners would endorse a move there, and fully expect to drum up support from other governors to stop it if it even reaches that stage.

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 04:25 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
I'm a lifelong hockey fan(over 25 years). I grew up with the Rangers, moved to TN as a kid, continued to follow them with my satellite dish...and when the Preds came to town, my family and I immediately embraced them. I would count myself as being as die-hard as most anyone on this board in my passion for not only my team but the game itself. I've played\coached\watched\been involved with it in some capacity for my entire life.

That said, until you've gone through this, you don't know how jading it can be. And as other people have mentioned...the fact that there are those out there that are CELEBRATING it gleefully, like their side won...just makes you even sicker. In the end, will I stop watching hockey completely? Probably not, but it will take some time. The feeling of this is akin to the death of a loved one or being dumped suddenly by the love of your life. For a while, dating just doesn't appeal to you.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 05:22 AM
Panopticon

I don't like this. For a few reasons.

1. Predators is still a growing franchise, needs more time
2. Ontario doesn't NEED another team (sure, they could support it and they sure want it)
3. The east doesn't need another team
4. Moves like this would make the whole expansion pointless

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:10 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

That said, until you've gone through this, you don't know how jading it can be. And as other people have mentioned...the fact that there are those out there that are CELEBRATING it gleefully, like their side won...just makes you even sicker. In the end, will I stop watching hockey completely? Probably not, but it will take some time. The feeling of this is akin to the death of a loved one or being dumped suddenly by the love of your life. For a while, dating just doesn't appeal to you.
I think this sums up a lot of what the truly diehard Pred fan is feeling right now who have invested so much time, money, and emotional effort into the Preds and hockey in Middle Tennessee in general.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:40 AM
RollingPredFan

Im one of the targeted new fans that I suppose Bettman was trying to bring in by placing the franchise in Nashville. I got an interest in it when the Preds made the playoffs. And, if they move, I am done with the NHL. No more center ice, no more jerseys, tshirts, hats and the like. Way to go! I hope all those arrogant hockey snobs will be happy that they will break the hearts of many a new fan they disdain so much...

Way to think big, guys! Put a team in Nashville, have a crappy team for most of the existence, (also include a lockout season) then have 3 years of playoff teams, and finally when we have almost turned the corner, take the team away so some *real* fans can support it

This is sarcasm, and yes we know what that is down here LOL

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I'm a lifelong hockey fan(over 25 years). I grew up with the Rangers, moved to TN as a kid, continued to follow them with my satellite dish...and when the Preds came to town, my family and I immediately embraced them. I would count myself as being as die-hard as most anyone on this board in my passion for not only my team but the game itself. I've played\coached\watched\been involved with it in some capacity for my entire life.

I've gone through it. It sucks. But I would never turn my back on hockey.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 08:27 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
I've gone through it. It sucks. But I would never turn my back on hockey.
And the NHL is the only hockey product in the world?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 08:38 AM
RaiderDoug

I'd be crushed if the Preds moved.

But, lets face it, if we cant draw 14,000 to one of the best, most exciting teams in the NHL, do we really deserve an NHL team? 14,000 is not a large number.

I'm doing my part, season tickets and all and will try to bring as many new people as I can, but if it just doesnt work, it just doesnt work.

I love hockey, next to college football, its my favorite sport. I go to MTSU hockey games, I go to Knoxville Ice Bear games. If the Preds move, I wont stop being a hockey fan. That's like saying my favorite Italian restaurant closed, so I'm never eating Italian again.

Personally, if the Preds move, I'd love to see an AHL team here. That's quality hockey, with the chance to see some hot prospects, albeit on a smaller, more wallet friendly scale.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
But, lets face it, if we cant draw 14,000 paid attendance to one of the best, most exciting teams in the NHL, do we really deserve an NHL team? 14,000 paid attendance is not a large number.
fixed.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote