HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Bettman: "Balsillie has no intentions to moving team"

Old
05-31-2007, 09:24 AM
bleed_oil

vCash: 500
What a lot of talk about nothing.
If Balsille did'nt want to move the team and wanted to keep it in Nashville long term, why would'nt he just say so. The fact he has'nt made a single statement to any effect makes it quite obvious that he intends to move the team..... otherwise with all the speculation flying around he would just say one sentance. "I will not move the team" - he has'nt done as much. Just use common sense.
Now I dont knowif it will end up in K-W or Kansas City or Winnipeg, but it won't be in Nashville

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 09:30 AM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
If Balsille did'nt want to move the team and wanted to keep it in Nashville long term, why would'nt he just say so. The fact he has'nt made a single statement to any effect makes it quite obvious that he intends to move the team..... otherwise with all the speculation flying around he would just say one sentance. "I will not move the team" - he has'nt done as much. Just use common sense.
Now I dont knowif it will end up in K-W or Kansas City or Winnipeg, but it won't be in Nashville
Actually, his one statement has been "I do not own the team yet, so it would be inapropriate for me to say anything". Which it would be.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Take your gloating elsewhere please.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 10:05 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002 View Post
Actually, his one statement has been "I do not own the team yet, so it would be inapropriate for me to say anything". Which it would be.
OK, but could'nt he put an end to all this speculation by simple saying. If I gain control of the team, I will not move it... end of story, simple as that.
Seems fairly cut and dried to me.

Old
05-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Stranger

Quote:
OK, but could'nt he put an end to all this speculation by simple saying. If I gain control of the team, I will not move it... end of story, simple as that.
Seems fairly cut and dried to me.
Mr. Leipold claimed he would not sell to anyone outside of the Nashville area and that it would have to be someone who was 100% committed to keeping the team in Nashville.

I fully expect Mr.Balsillie to say "I want to make it work here". But we all know the truth.

Old
05-31-2007, 10:17 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Mr. Leipold claimed he would not sell to anyone outside of the Nashville area and that it would have to be someone who was 100% committed to keeping the team in Nashville.

I fully expect Mr.Balsillie to say "I want to make it work here". But we all know the truth.
Thats my point. You would fully expect him to say that - he has'nt. In this case he could end all the speculation with a simple comment. clearly if he intended to keep the team in Nashville he would have done as much to make a simple comment.
BTW I would also expect him to say as much at some point - words are free, thats why I'm so shocked he has'nt even done that minimum

BTW - Carpenter. You have stated previously that increasing ticket prices and decreasing marketing would constitute an act of bad faith. How do you prove as much? Why would'nt Balsille be within reason to increase prices - at least the point of making a small profit on operations.

Old
05-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Thats my point. You would fully expect him to say that - he has'nt. In this case he could end all the speculation with a simple comment. clearly if he intended to keep the team in Nashville he would have done as much to make a simple comment.
BTW I would also expect him to say as much at some point - words are free, thats why I'm so shocked he has'nt even done that minimum

BTW - Carpenter. You have stated previously that increasing ticket prices and decreasing marketing would constitute an act of bad faith. How do you prove as much? Why would'nt Balsille be within reason to increase prices - at least the point of making a small profit on operations.
You've missed the point. Balsillie wouldn't end speculation by saying he wants the team to stay. We fully expect him to say the right things, but we know what he's up to.

Old
05-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Guy Legend

Quote:
Waterloo billionaire Jim Balsillie, who has a letter of agreement to buy the Predators that closes June 30, last night re-activated an exclusive lease arrangement with Hamilton city council in which he could use the facility temporarily or permanently as home to an NHL team.
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/219835

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 11:04 AM
GSC2k2*

Quote:

My earlier post was more directed to the idea of reduced marketing, "not answering the phone", etc. Certainly ticket price increases would be more difficult to prove as bad faith, but not impossible, depending on the particular facts.

Honestly, I just find that entire line of thought to be more than a little amusing. It is propagated by people who get their business knowledge from movies like "Major League". It is preposterous.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 11:17 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002 View Post
My earlier post was more directed to the idea of reduced marketing, "not answering the phone", etc. Certainly ticket price increases would be more difficult to prove as bad faith, but not impossible, depending on the particular facts.

Honestly, I just find that entire line of thought to be more than a little amusing. It is propagated by people who get their business knowledge from movies like "Major League". It is preposterous.
"not answering the phone", is extremely unlikely. My expectation is as follows.
Balsille will say all the right things about staying in Nashville while making preperations to move elsewhere if necessary.
I think he would continue most of the existing martking initiatives.
I would also expect that he would raise ticket prices significantly to at least match the league median. Considering the price he paid for the team, I think its within reason.
At that point I would expect him to wait and see, i.e. let the chips fall where they may.
I dont expect that he would force a move, but I also don't expect that he paid 220 million to operate a team indeinfiitly in a borderline market like Nashville.

Old
05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
"not answering the phone", is extremely unlikely. My expectation is as follows.
Perhaps "figure of speech" would ring that bell.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 12:12 PM
PredDave

Quote:
I also don't expect that he paid 220 million to operate a team indeinfiitly in a borderline market like Nashville.
Thanks for the backhanded compliment!

Oh yeah, the word is "indefinitely"

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
....I dont expect that he would force a move, but I also don't expect that he paid 220 million to operate a team indeinfiitly in a borderline market like Nashville.
I am speculating here, but it is very much possible that the price became $220 million due to a bidding war between Balsillie and AEG (the group that wants the team for Kansas City).

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 06:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
I am speculating here, but it is very much possible that the price became $220 million due to a bidding war between Balsillie and AEG (the group that wants the team for Kansas City).
Leipold confirmed that.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Leipold confirmed that.
You mean Leipold the great!! The most honest human on the planet, the man that never talked to Kansas City. He is exactully the person I said he was; same with Balsillie complete Lying Garbage

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Rimsky44

Sorry, I am new to the forum, but does season ticket sales even have anything to do with the final outcome? My interpretation was that corporate backing is the main issue...

If corporate backing is the case, then it looks bleak...
If it's just about 14k ticket sales, I'm sure the city can pull it off and keep the team in the city.

----quote------
Bettman stressed that the corporate support for the team, not individual fan support, was the problem.

“I believe as a percentage of season ticket holders, there are more individuals as opposed to corporate in Nashville than in any of our other markets,” Bettman said. “The economy, the number of head offices, particularly in healthcare and finance, for that part of the country, has changed dramatically since the team has been there.
-----end quote--------
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=56432

Rimsky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 09:34 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
Yes that is entirely possible. I can't see why this franchise would be anywhere close to that value otherwise.

Old
06-01-2007, 10:19 AM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
You mean Leipold the great!! The most honest human on the planet, the man that never talked to Kansas City. He is exactully the person I said he was; same with Balsillie complete Lying Garbage
What else was Leipold going to say? Was he being straight when he announced that he would like to find a 40% local investor to ensure that the franchise could remain in Nashville? Was it a cover since he wasn't going to come out and say "I'm talking to this group or that and they aren't Nashville groups" during negotiations?

Do you beleive he was acting in the best interests of keeping the franchise in Nashville? Was he really searching for the 40% local owner? Do you beleive that over the past how many years he did everything he could to keep the team in Nashville? He stated that his search for a local owner had been going on for two years. If true, how much longer should he have held on to the franchise and wait for local ownership to step up?

A lot of what I see out here from several posters is this guy is lying and that guy is lying. Short of the team staying in Nashville and everything working out as the fans had hoped, what is it you expect? What do you want these owners to do?

It was in my best interests to purchase mutual funds that included Blackberry last year, I'd like to retire w/out worries some day. Is it not in Leipold's interests to sell a NHL franchise for his own financial interests? (I understand the gap between our portfolios and that owning a pro sports franchise is not the best investment vehicle compared to an IRA It's the only comparison I could really make between myself and Leipold)

Old
06-01-2007, 10:53 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

AdPred, I think you can admit that your(or my) personal investments and pro sports ownership-in particular hockey- are apples and carrots, with oranges being too close to apples for this comparison. Owning a team, as long as it's not sinking your ship completely--and knowing what we know about what the TEAM lost and what Powers Mgmt MADE, wasn't the case for Leipold--is something more like a hobby. Leipold, on numerous occasions, referenced that. He downlplayed what the team had lost over the years, pointing out that they were only slightly below budget\plan.

Fast forward a bit, Leipold admits that he's looking for someone to take a minority share of the team...40 percent, preferably locally..and he's been doing so all along. Don't worry, folks...I'll only talk to someone that's just as committed as I am to the great city of Nashville and the long term success of this team.

Fast forward a bit more...about 5 months, to be exact...and suddenly it's all changed? Leipold waxes mournfully at what could have been, should have been, but never was? How he did everything he could, but he just couldn't stomach the losses anymore? That's a pretty drastic change from his outlook just a few months ago. Now, I'm not stupid, I understand the business implications of it all, but however much you sympathize with Leipold, you can't deny that he was dishonest to us. Part of why this has stung so much is because it seemed so abrupt. When finally the sun was breaking free of the clouds, all of a sudden we're in a hurricane. Arena deal, season tickets up, some businesses finally starting to come back, 3 quickly sold-out playoff games...and out of nowhere, he can't take another season of this? Someone came along and did exactly what they had to do...offered Leipold enough money that his conscience no longer mattered. He knew full well what Balsillie intends to do, but to be able to turn to his wife and say, "hey, we made back all our money...and a generous stipend on top of that!" was too much to turn down. That's frustrating, but most of us probably understand. But he had to know that a possibility existed that if the right offer came along, he'd sell to Montgomery Burns himself. His melodramatic, angry "THIS TEAM IS GOING NOWHERE!" homilies, over-the-top commitment to Nashville sermons...in the end, they become lies. There's no way around it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 11:38 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
AdPred, I think you can admit that your(or my) personal investments and pro sports ownership-in particular hockey- are apples and carrots, with oranges being too close to apples for this comparison. Owning a team, as long as it's not sinking your ship completely--and knowing what we know about what the TEAM lost and what Powers Mgmt MADE, wasn't the case for Leipold--is something more like a hobby. Leipold, on numerous occasions, referenced that. He downlplayed what the team had lost over the years, pointing out that they were only slightly below budget\plan.

Fast forward a bit, Leipold admits that he's looking for someone to take a minority share of the team...40 percent, preferably locally..and he's been doing so all along. Don't worry, folks...I'll only talk to someone that's just as committed as I am to the great city of Nashville and the long term success of this team.

Fast forward a bit more...about 5 months, to be exact...and suddenly it's all changed? Leipold waxes mournfully at what could have been, should have been, but never was? How he did everything he could, but he just couldn't stomach the losses anymore? That's a pretty drastic change from his outlook just a few months ago. Now, I'm not stupid, I understand the business implications of it all, but however much you sympathize with Leipold, you can't deny that he was dishonest to us. Part of why this has stung so much is because it seemed so abrupt. When finally the sun was breaking free of the clouds, all of a sudden we're in a hurricane. Arena deal, season tickets up, some businesses finally starting to come back, 3 quickly sold-out playoff games...and out of nowhere, he can't take another season of this? Someone came along and did exactly what they had to do...offered Leipold enough money that his conscience no longer mattered. He knew full well what Balsillie intends to do, but to be able to turn to his wife and say, "hey, we made back all our money...and a generous stipend on top of that!" was too much to turn down. That's frustrating, but most of us probably understand. But he had to know that a possibility existed that if the right offer came along, he'd sell to Montgomery Burns himself. His melodramatic, angry "THIS TEAM IS GOING NOWHERE!" homilies, over-the-top commitment to Nashville sermons...in the end, they become lies. There's no way around it.

what he said.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 11:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

the 14k keeps the lease solid.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 11:55 AM
AdmiralPred

NoMore, I understand my "comparisson" was more in the line of apples to dump trucks, the point was best interests personally. I was seeking an answer that wasn't (too) emotionally charged, you usually deliver, and did. I don't mean to come off as indifferent, or a Leipold sympathizer. Admittedly, my interest in the team doesn't run nearly as deep as every regular poster in this forum. Although, I can say the Predators are the first NHL team that ever became the primary team I followed. This was mainly due to my following of the MilAds going back to the 80s and, natually, following all of those prospects to Nashville. (Never cared to get into Vancouver back in the day)

As for Leipold, was he, in fact, seeking this local interest committed to Nashville? Was there a local interest willing to commit to Nashville? Where are these local interests now, during this recent "hurricane"? And are they, or will they be committed? Does it even pay for local interest to get involved any longer? Since this was a hobby, how long should Leipold himself have been committed? At what point does that commitment deteriorate if there aren't local interests committed to the Preds in Nashville? How much does he being an outsider play into this? If Leipold truely put little effort into seeking these local interests, then I hold him with very little regard. If his intentions, and efforts, were there to bring in local interests and there just wasn't a light at the end of the tunnel. Does anything change if he waited until two years from now?

Last edited by AdmiralPred: 06-01-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old
06-01-2007, 01:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

The point being...if Leipold was getting into this to make money, then he was the wrong guy from the start. Someone once said, "In this business, if you break even, you did something right." That's completely true. I just don't see how it took Leipold this long to realize that this was never going to be a cash cow. He was losing money...not as much as he'd like to point to, that much has been dug up...but I think better days were on the horizon, but I suppose all that has changed, now.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 01:30 PM
AdmiralPred

Then add me to the list of outsider well-wishers that hopes others have seen the same horizon. Nashville's a great town, with great character, not all about Country music, and certainly not all about NASCAR. Nothing like bar-hopping down Broadway and onto 2nd through 4th streets after a Preds game on a week night after watching Section 303 get nuts.

Old
06-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

This entire situation is awfully reminiscent of a franchise relocation that most of you should be well aware of - the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies. Michael Heisley bought the team and publicly stated that his intention was to keep the franchise in Vancouver. A few months later, and that proved to be little more than blown smoke.

Lesson being, don't trust a damn thing that Balsillie or Bettman says in the near future (and I'm sure you don't).

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote