HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predator Prospect Updates

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Stranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayWalk3r View Post
Some good news for you folks, Patric Hörnqvist was selected as the SEL Rookie of the Year.

http://www.hockeyligan.se/nyheter.php?nid=11117

Old
03-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
Yeah ... thats right! ... suck it Backstrom!
Backstrom won this award last year.

Old
03-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Backstrom won this award last year.
oh ... my bad

Old
03-21-2007, 12:08 PM
AdmiralPred

For all the good things I had to say about Univ. of Wisc.'s Blake Geoffrion back in January and early February, must say his performance down the stretch was a bit dissapointing. Relegated to more third line duty and less special teams time, but this may have been due to his playing not as well as he had immediately after the Holidays and the Badgers having a full compliment of healthy(ier) forwards during the stretch run.

During the past month, he wasn't very good in the offensive zone and not nearly as physical as he was earlier. Another thing I noticed was that he is rather slow with the puck - even w/out the puck skating through neutral ice and into the zone - makes me wonder if he may have had a nagging injury that I hadn't heard of. But, he was a freshman, took some freshman lumps and should be better for his Sophomore year.

Old
03-22-2007, 08:13 PM
monster_bertuzzi

You guys may force me to be a fan of your team, 50% of your defence core will be from BC!

Old
03-23-2007, 02:25 AM
Panopticon

Laakso's season is over. HIFK lost the series 4-1 and in five games Laakso had one assist and was -1. He had a lot of ice time (28 minutes in the only game they won and 26 minutes in the game he had the assist) and his team was outscored 16-6 so the -1 is not that bad.

He played really well in the home games and was one of the best (if not the best) defenders on his team, but for some reason struggled a bit in the first two away games. Not too badly (he still didn't make too many mistakes), but the difference was clear. In the last away game he played well again, but not for the whole game unfortunately...

Even if they had won yesterday, Laakso's season would've probably been over for the most part anyway. He left the game in the second period with a concussion after a semi-accidental headshot by David Moravec. Laakso was actually pushed from behind so he lost his balance and went head first into Moravec's shoulder. Moravec was skating by him in the opposite direction, so it wasn't his fault at all. If it was someone's fault it was the guy who pushed him, but I doubt he intended that to happen. Just bad luck again.

It's been rumored that he needs surgery on his knees in the offseason, so it's probably good that his season ended early so he can get that properly out of the way before next season. Just a rumor, though, but it's also been said that he's been playing with knee braces and a lot of pain killers...

Also, more rumors I heard (from his brother, actually, so probably more truth behind this one than the other rumor) that other NHL teams besides Nashville had been in contact with Laakso's agent. The only one he mentioned by name was LA (there was some talk about Detroit around the WJC).

Old
03-23-2007, 02:13 PM
GlueleG

Does Ryan Maki have one year left with Harvard? Or is he eligible to be signed by Nashville?

Old
03-23-2007, 03:48 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
Also, more rumors I heard (from his brother, actually, so probably more truth behind this one than the other rumor) that other NHL teams besides Nashville had been in contact with Laakso's agent. The only one he mentioned by name was LA (there was some talk about Detroit around the WJC).
Just curious, but is that legal?

Old
03-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Just curious, but is that legal?
Umm...I would have to say it would probably be considered tampering.

Think about it...with the two-year rule in effect meaning that if Laakso doesn't sign with the Predators this summer he becomes a free agent that would mean that any of the other 29 teams that expressed interest could say something along the lines of "don't sign with Nashville, they have too many defensemen that you will be stuck behind and you will only wind up riding the bus in Milwaukee. Look at where Lehtonen and Koistinen played this season. We have an immediate need for you and you will get a shot right out of camp if you sign with us."

Old
03-26-2007, 01:50 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Think about it...with the two-year rule in effect meaning that if Laakso doesn't sign with the Predators this summer he becomes a free agent that would mean that any of the other 29 teams that expressed interest could say something along the lines of "don't sign with Nashville, they have too many defensemen that you will be stuck behind and you will only wind up riding the bus in Milwaukee. Look at where Lehtonen and Koistinen played this season. We have an immediate need for you and you will get a shot right out of camp if you sign with us."
That's true. But since it's just a rumor we shouldn't put too much stock into it. Also, been in contact could mean anything. They could've said that "if he doesn't sign with Nashville, we could be interested". Or they could've just asked what he was planning to do.

Also, even if they were pressuring him like that, how would it be that much different from his parents, friends and agent possibly saying the same thing? Well, except that they can only assume that someone else could be interested.

Anyways, this is one of the reasons why I don't think the 2-year rule is good for European players. Or more importantly, the teams drafting them. Most players aren't NHL-ready 2 years after their draft, and some of them might think it's better to develope in the league they know well rather than the AHL. Meaning they could be a bit hesitant to sign a contract at that point, and then their rights could be lost...

Old
03-26-2007, 05:43 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Yeah but, it's a really great bus.

Old
04-17-2007, 02:12 PM
braindead

Preds sign Regina Pats free agent center Kyle Ross, listed at 5'11" to tryout with Ads

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...e-4ef146446c0c

I predict he is the next Vern Fiddler. Of course, I know absolutely nothing about him so if someone wants to argue he is the next Jered Smithson, I'll defer.

Old
04-17-2007, 02:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Preds sign Regina Pats free agent center Kyle Ross, listed at 5'11" to tryout with Ads

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...e-4ef146446c0c

I predict he is the next Vern Fiddler. Of course, I know absolutely nothing about him so if someone wants to argue he is the next Jered Smithson, I'll defer.
So, we can expect him called up to play with Forsberg, any time now?

No, I'm just kidding, no one can take Tootoo's spot

Old
04-17-2007, 07:40 PM
braindead

Only if he can beat out Leahy for Forsberg's linemate.... but anything is possible.

Old
04-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Garl

Patric Hornqvist was amazing in EHT finals. 3 points in 2 games. He was easily one of the best players on the ice.

Old
04-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Panopticon

I heard from Teemu Laakso's brother that Laakso's agent J.P. Barry is starting negotiations with Nashville. I think the main thing there is that Laakso wants a clause that allows him to play one more season in Finland (instead of playing in the farm) unless he makes the team out of camp (which is very unlikely).

Old
05-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Today's "events" made me think of Geoffrion again. Its pretty sad to watch this now, given that he's unlikely to suit up for his hometown team now.

Old
05-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Fan.At
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to Fan.At Send a message via MSN to Fan.At
Newspapers in Austria report that the Predators have signed Oliver Setzinger.
Can anyone confirm this yet?

Edit: Heres a link, but it's in german.
http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/ei...48930/index.do

which is the way he wants it!
Well, he gets it!

Last edited by Fan.At: 05-25-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old
05-25-2007, 04:55 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Radulov Legwand Sullivan
Setzinger Arnott Erat
Tootoo Shafigulin Leahy
Staal Peverley Segal

Weber Hamhuis
Zidlicky Suter
Laakso Niskala

Vokoun
Mason

Old
05-31-2007, 12:31 PM
lstcyr

Matheson from UMass signs with Preds
http://www.masslive.com/sports/repub...430.xml&coll=1

Old
06-01-2007, 04:43 PM
lstcyr

We've already seen this news earlier in the thread but the Tennessean has six signings: http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../70601037/1028 and the release of Teemu Lassila.

Old
06-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
We've already seen this news earlier in the thread but the Tennessean has six signings: http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../70601037/1028 and the release of Teemu Lassila.

They forgot about Laakso? Or did they report that seperately?

Old
06-02-2007, 04:10 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Radulov Legwand Sullivan
Setzinger Arnott Erat
Tootoo Shafigulin Leahy
Staal Peverley Segal

Weber Hamhuis
Zidlicky Suter
Laakso Niskala

Vokoun
Mason

My worst nightmare...

Quote:
They forgot about Laakso? Or did they report that seperately?
Reported seperately most likely. Or not at all. It IS the Tennessean, after all.

Old
06-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Normally I'd be very excited, especially since we resigned Hornqvist. But right now, any prospect is a prospect for the Ontario hockey team.

Old
06-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Panopticon

By the way, I heard (from his brother again) that Laakso is doubtful about leaving for Nashville for the conditioning camp at the end of June.

His recovery from a knee surgery (they actually removed a cyst that he had there following some internal bleeding or something) didn't go as planned and hasn't been able to train properly since and he might not even be fit by then. There was an infection or something like that.

He said that Laakso wants to go, but he needs to talk with the team if they still want to get him there even if he can't really do anything but just be there.

Closed Thread