HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG #5 update!

Old
06-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
What people coming from the other direction? It's not like there are any subway lines after 8th Avenue and the vast majority of cars are leaving the City via the Lincolin Tunnel, not coming in for a hockey game.

It does make sense to move the Garden, but it's not being done because of better access to public transportation at the new location.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:00 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
I hope they never move MSG..I've been to a bunch of the new one's and I still absolutely love MSG and it's setup.

The place holds enough people, it has multiple concourses so over crowding isn't a big issues, it already has luxury boxes and almost every seat has great sightlines.

A new arena would also mean a massive price hike for tickets and you'd see the average Joe's priced out even more so.
Great sight liines? Have you ever been there? The Garen has the absolute worst sight lines in the USA. They are terrible.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:09 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
What people coming from the other direction? It's not like there are any subway lines after 8th Avenue and the vast majority of cars are leaving the City via the Lincolin Tunnel, not coming in for a hockey game.

It does make sense to move the Garden, but it's not being done because of better access to public transportation at the new location.
IT'S ONE BLOCK! Geez. You're making it sound like they're moving out to the Meadowlands.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:23 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
IT'S ONE BLOCK! Geez. You're making it sound like they're moving out to the Meadowlands.
Location, Location, Location. 7th Ave. is much more desirable than 8th Ave. for pretty much everyone. Personally I'd still rather have a new MSG on 8th as opposed to keeping the current one. But the new location is worse.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Great sight liines? Have you ever been there? The Garen has the absolute worst sight lines in the USA. They are terrible.
Agreed... Sad but true.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 08:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Location, Location, Location. 7th Ave. is much more desirable than 8th Ave. for pretty much everyone. Personally I'd still rather have a new MSG on 8th as opposed to keeping the current one. But the new location is worse.
Not to be rude, but... um, no. From what I understand, it will be done in conjunction with a much improved Penn Station, which will benefit all. (And which is already approved and will of course also have excellent subway connections.) From a driving point of view (Don't do it, by the way - public transporation is easier, safer and makes travel more efficient for everyone going to the game) being further from the middle of the island/closer to the West Side Highway only helps.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 08:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Not to be rude, but... um, no. From what I understand, it will be done in conjunction with a much improved Penn Station, which will benefit all. (And which is already approved and will of course also have excellent subway connections.) From a driving point of view (Don't do it, by the way - public transporation is easier, safer and makes travel more efficient for everyone going to the game) being further from the middle of the island/closer to the West Side Highway only helps.
I was talking about walking. For those of us who walk to MSG it's in a better location now.

You are right about the new Penn Station, which will be much improved. For people taking trains it won't matter that it's a block west.

Old
06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Wait, are you serious? I've never sat in a bad seat at the Garden. Never, even as far up as you can get, have I felt like I couldn't see the action.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 09:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I was talking about walking. For those of us who walk to MSG it's in a better location now.

You are right about the new Penn Station, which will be much improved. For people taking trains it won't matter that it's a block west.
Hahahahaha. Okay. Yes, if you live between 42nd St. and 14th St. and east of 8th Avenue, then, yes, I cannot deny it - the current location is better. For the other 99% of Rangers fans, the new location will be better (especially if the architecture of the stadium even comes close to the quality of the mockups I've seen of what the new Penn Station is forecasted to be.)

Old
06-01-2007, 09:37 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Wait, are you serious? I've never sat in a bad seat at the Garden. Never, even as far up as you can get, have I felt like I couldn't see the action.
Agreed - there's lots to complain about regarding the current garden (small seats, crappy food, narrow concourses, etc.), but in terms of actually being able to see the action, there's very little you can complain about.

Old
06-01-2007, 09:39 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Hahahahaha. Okay. Yes, if you live between 42nd St. and 14th St. and east of 8th Avenue, then, yes, I cannot deny it - the current location is better. For the other 99% of Rangers fans, the new location will be better (especially if the architecture of the stadium even comes close to the quality of the mockups I've seen of what the new Penn Station is forecasted to be.)
Actually I live on the UES, but I usually walk from my office in mid town to the garden and then I walk back east to the 4/5/6 after the game. But despite the extra 2 long blocks I'll have to walk roundtrip I'll gladly take a new MSG. There's so much we're missing out on right now.

Old
06-01-2007, 09:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Agreed - there's lots to complain about regarding the current garden (small seats, crappy food, narrow concourses, etc.), but in terms of actually being able to see the action, there's very little you can complain about.
I would probably disagree with that. Just this season I went on my first Rangers road trip. Saw them play in Sunrise and again 2 nights later in Tampa Bay. Both of those arenas had better sightlines, and made you feel much closer to the action. I think the newer arenas have steeper stadium seeting which puts you closer to the ice. Just my opinion based on visits to only a couple of other sites.

Old
06-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
The funny thing is he bashed a season ticket holder and asked if he's ever seen a game there. Beyond funny, IMO.

And yeah, the seats are cramped and such but it's not that bad. There is not a better place to SEE the action than MSG and I've been to a number of arenas.

It's WORLDS better than CAA, which you had to walk 55 stories just to get to your ****ing seat, too.

Old
06-01-2007, 10:15 PM
bubba5

Quote:
MSG has the worst sight lines in the NHL, you cant see anything along the boards and if you sit in the first couple rows in th 100's or 300's you constantly have people walking in front of you especially the cotton candy man.

Remember this though, if they build a new MSG expect ticket prices to go up a lot.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
Actually, it's two blocks since the entrance to the Garden is just off 7th Avenue. And those two blocks are really 6 blocks (for those of you less familar with the NYC grid, the blocks between Avenues are "long" blocks equal to three "normal" blocks). And it's three long blocks from the 34th and 6th subway station (which is where the Path Station to NJ is too). Definitely not as easy to get to.

Old
06-02-2007, 12:20 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Actually, it's two blocks since the entrance to the Garden is just off 7th Avenue. And those two blocks are really 6 blocks (for those of you less familar with the NYC grid, the blocks between Avenues are "long" blocks equal to three "normal" blocks). And it's three long blocks from the 34th and 6th subway station (which is where the Path Station to NJ is too). Definitely not as easy to get to.
What about those Fans who Drive in, I park by F.I.T anyway, its about a 7 1/2 block walk, but I like the exercise, & I like to play the will I get Jacked by the Homeless guy hangingout next to the peepshows game.
So far I haven't lost!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
What about those Fans who Drive in, I park by F.I.T anyway, its about a 7 1/2 block walk, but I like the exercise, & I like to play the will I get Jacked by the Homeless guy hangingout next to the peepshows game.
So far I haven't lost!
Sorry, I don't have a car. And when I did, I never took it to the Garden--too much hassle to find a place both in the City and at home.

Old
06-02-2007, 11:10 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I park at 9th ave anyway, so it'll be even closer.

Old
06-04-2007, 12:38 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Agreed, though there are some seats in section 401 and 428 that should be sold at half price since you can only see half the ice. But I'd rather deal with that than sit amongst the prawn sandwhich eating nitwits down low.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 12:40 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
But despite the extra 2 long blocks I'll have to walk roundtrip I'll gladly take a new MSG. There's so much we're missing out on right now.
Like what? Higher ticket prices? Worse atmoshere? more club seats and more suites? What exactly are we missing? Would MSG V make the Rangers a better team ?? What exactly are we missing ?????

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
I park at 9th ave anyway, so it'll be even closer.
Why would you drive to MSG?

Old
06-04-2007, 06:39 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Archictectural preservationists "express concerns."

My response is, "******* smug ****** ****."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06042007...m_topousis.htm

Old
06-04-2007, 08:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Why would you drive to MSG?
Taconic to Saw Mill to Henry Hudson Parkway to West Side Highway = very little traffic until GW Bridge and then once in the city isn't too bad
Parking = $26
Time = 1 hour - 1.5 hours

Train ticket = $14.50 per person * 4 people = $58
Travel Time = 1 hour + 20 minutes to train station
Walking to Garden = 20 - 30 minutes
Time = 1.67 - 1.83 hours

If you live in Long Island or probably Jersey I can understand you saying that, but from Westchester, traffic isn't all that bad.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 06-04-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old
06-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

That's actually relatively cheap parking and all.

But you're spending another $20 on gas or so as well. And why would it be 20-30 minutes to walk to the Garden? Where are you taking the train to?

Old
06-04-2007, 09:29 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Grand Central... That's the only way in. I don't even know if you can take Amtrak to Penn Station but if you can, that's even more expensive anyway. Of course I could take the subway to Penn Station for $4 ($2 each way).

Where I park it's only $26, it's like 34th and 9th ave. The only thing I'm worried about is if the Garden moves a block closer they may raise the prices.

Even if the gas prices do add up. You're then hostage to the train schedule instead of being able to leave when you want.