HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I think this guy nailed it...

Old
06-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Olaf

vCash: 500
I think this guy nailed it...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...-4595986c.html

He will probably even delay inking everything so he will miss out on the free agent market altogether just to make it look good.......errrrr, or not good.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 05:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

That's a great article, and I think this guy makes a lot of good points. Balsillie hasn't reassured anyone, he hasn't made any sort of "we'll give it a shot" remarks because he wants to do JUST THE OPPOSITE. He WANTS us to feel like he's ready to bail, he wants us to give up hope\tickets. He wants to do anything he can to ensure that our attendance average is lower than ever imaginable...and the sad thing is that it will likely work.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 05:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I just sent another letter to Gary Bettman....and I'd urge someone to forward that article to any member of the council, the media...the people of Nashville need to understand the game Balsillie is playing, and just how little Hamilton actually means.

Mr Bettman,

I'll save the empassioned pleas and entreaties for you to step in and save our team. I'm realistic about this, as I'm sure many members of the hockey world and Board of Governors are, but I will ask you to open your eyes to the deceitful way that Jim Balsillie is handling this. He's playing us, you, and even the city of Hamilton for fools. He doesn't even own the team yet, and he's already making diversive ploys by taking control of an arena that anyone familiar knows is not close to NHL calibre. A mere days after assuring you that he has "no intention" of re-locating the team as long as it has a lease. Clearly, the caveat to this is the "as long as it has a lease," but the fear in Nashville is that he's going to do everything within his power to ensure that this is not the case. While I'm not sure he'd resort to the sort of subversive tactics that saw the Vancouver Grizzlies move to Memphis(something your old friend David Stern later admitted was handled improperly and underhandedly), we're bracing ourselves for a team that will likely be several steps back from what we've grown accustomed to. It's in Mr. Balsillie's best interests to field the worst possible team, and he'll likely look to fill whatever holes through marginal free agent acquisitions and homegrown prospects who realistically are not there yet. While this may all sound like material for the tinfoil hat-wearers, it's just another gambit in this chess game unraveling before us. We know that Balsillie isn't stupid...he's aware of the NHL's stance on Hamilton, not to mention the proximity to both Buffalo and Toronto...but he's also aware that the mere fact that he's even holding such negotiations would cause a flux in the city of Nashville, both on the individual and corporate level. Players and their agents have admitted that they'd have a hard time signing with Nashville given the limbo that the team is currently situated in...and that anxiety can certainly be extrapolated to the casual fan. Those of us die-hards--and there are more than we're usually given credit for--we'll be there, one way or another, even if we KNOW it's our last season(most of us do), but we're not enough. These tactics he's using will see to that, and unfortunately he'll likely get his way, with no lease to inhibit him.

I will conclude this note, as I realize that you're a busy man...but I ask one more time...think long and hard about the introduction of an owner like this into the NHL. Leipold can get another buyer, it's common knowledge that another group of vultures--excuse me, investors, from Kansas City were involved with a bidding war that saw the price inflate to 220 million dollars, but hopefully they'd at least play the game honestly. It's bad enough that we're likely going to lose our team, but it's worse that we probably have no chance to stop it. The whole scenario smacks of the movie "Major League," which is both ironic and a little sickening.

I implore you to read this article, which was in today's Winnipeg Free Press...it summarizes my thoughts in a more pointed and eloquent way:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...-4595986c.html

The NHL doesn't need an Al Davis

Thanks for your time.

Old
06-01-2007, 09:20 PM
handtrick

nice letter nomore.

You should submit it [or a similair version] to "letter to the editor section" of TheHockeyNews online.

I doubt Bettman even reads any of the emails we have sent, probably one of his minimum wage customer service reps at the best.

Glennon and Jessica Hopp are working on an article today about fan's reactions to Basillie's silence, etc.....wouldn't hurt to send them a copy of the letter:
jglennon@tennessean.com
jlhopp04@yahoo.com

handtrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 10:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
nice letter nomore.

You should submit it [or a similair version] to "letter to the editor section" of TheHockeyNews online.

I doubt Bettman even reads any of the emails we have sent, probably one of his minimum wage customer service reps at the best.

Glennon and Jessica Hopp are working on an article today about fan's reactions to Basillie's silence, etc.....wouldn't hurt to send them a copy of the letter:
jglennon@tennessean.com
jlhopp04@yahoo.com
I forwarded it to all three, with a little note attached. I implored the Tennessean to keep the public informed of both the story and the understory, in particular.

Old
06-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
The guy makes some good points, but he can move it to the Tri-city area of Waterloo-Kitchner-Cambridge. It would be very close to Toronto, in hockey country, big enough fan base to get attendance, and is outside the rights of any NHL team, that is plan B.

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Peter Griffin

Bettman is no idiot, I'm sure he knows exactly what Balsillie's plans are. JB wants a team in Southern Ontario and will do anything he can to get it. As much as it sucks for you guys, the diehard Nashville fans, the city does not deserve a team and have shown that they are incapable of supporting it. I'm sure Bettman realizes it was a mistake to put a team there and JB buying them is probably the best way to get out of it. JB can play the role of bad guy while Bettman can appear to the masses as the innocent commissioner that tried his best to keep the team in Nashville.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 12:13 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Bettman is no idiot, I'm sure he knows exactly what Balsillie's plans are. JB wants a team in Southern Ontario and will do anything he can to get it. As much as it sucks for you guys, the diehard Nashville fans, the city does not deserve a team and have shown that they are incapable of supporting it. I'm sure Bettman realizes it was a mistake to put a team there and JB buying them is probably the best way to get out of it. JB can play the role of bad guy while Bettman can appear to the masses as the innocent commissioner that tried his best to keep the team in Nashville.
How does the city "not deserve a team?"

It had three years of first round exits, and despite that, attendance both fan(not the problem) and the elusive corporate were on the rise. It has not, since before the lockout, trended downward at any point.

But thanks for telling us what we do and don't deserve, oh pious one.

Old
06-02-2007, 12:19 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

I think Turner did a very good of pointing out some inconguities here.

Balsillie has grander plans. Whatever those plans may be, Copps in Hamilton is not grand enough.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 01:29 AM
likewall32
**putt meem hear**

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I think Turner did a very good of pointing out some inconguities here.

Balsillie has grander plans. Whatever those plans may be, Copps in Hamilton is not grand enough.
This, coupled with the recent RIM purchase of 25.7 acres in Cambridge, seem to be spelling the obvious. If this isn't preparation for relocation, at least NHL relocation, then we're being played by Bettman and Balsillie big time.

I've had the pleasure to visit Nashville, and took in all five Sharks/Predators games this year. I'd be pissed if the Predators move. The Gaylord Enterta...er, Nashville Ar... er Sommet Center is a hell of an atmosphere for hockey, one of the top 5 in the Western Conference, IMO. It'd be a huge shame if you guys get your team ripped from you.

likewall32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 04:46 AM
Spawn

Jim Balsillie is like an evil super-villian, he is pulling the strings of everyone, and manipulating everything to his whim. Its diabolical, wheres Superman when you need him for something important!

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Levizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by likewall32 View Post
This, coupled with the recent RIM purchase of 25.7 acres in Cambridge, seem to be spelling the obvious. If this isn't preparation for relocation, at least NHL relocation, then we're being played by Bettman and Balsillie big time.
I'm not sure why people keep bringing up that land purchase from RIM regarding this situation. RIM won't own the Predators, Jim Balsillie will which would make the use of that land for his own private hockey team a violation of corporate law. People need to settle down with including what RIM does in regards to this situation, because as hard as it is for people to believe RIM and Jim are seperate entities. That would be the equivalent of GE buying 25 acres of land so Jack Welch could start his own privately owned side venture, which is what is commonly known as theft.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrempcoctail View Post
I'm not sure why people keep bringing up that land purchase from RIM regarding this situation. RIM won't own the Predators, Jim Balsillie will which would make the use of that land for his own private hockey team a violation of corporate law. People need to settle down with including what RIM does in regards to this situation, because as hard as it is for people to believe RIM and Jim are seperate entities. That would be the equivalent of GE buying 25 acres of land so Jack Welch could start his own privately owned side venture, which is what is commonly known as theft.
What prevents RIM from Building an arena on that site and leasing it to the Predators?????

Last edited by Gnashville: 06-02-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
What prevents RIM from Building an arena on that site and leasing it to the Predators?????
OMG, I'm agreeing with Gnashville...

What prevents RIM from at the "right time" selling the land to Balsillie without making a profit (I'm sure they would have to at least break even to satisfy their shareholders)?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:22 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
OMG, I'm agreeing with Gnashville...

What prevents RIM from at the "right time" selling the land to Balsillie without making a profit (I'm sure they would have to at least break even to satisfy their shareholders)?
He's no longer the head of RIM and it is a bit risky. One hostile takeover and RIM tells Ballsillie, "YEah, that land....Yeah we plan on building a new corporate HQ/ testing facility there. Find a new place to play." If you think that's impossible, we currently are watching the hostile takeover of the Preds.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
He's no longer the head of RIM and it is a bit risky. One hostile takeover and RIM tells Ballsillie, "YEah, that land....Yeah we plan on building a new corporate HQ/ testing facility there. Find a new place to play." If you think that's impossible, we currently are watching the hostile takeover of the Preds.
I would love to see RIM build a new non-entertainment facility on that property and as a matter of fact, I have a feeling that is what will happen. I would really appreciate it if someone would ask the company the question of what they plan on doing with that land and they actually answered the question without the standard, "no comment".

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
How does the city "not deserve a team?"

It had three years of first round exits, and despite that, attendance both fan(not the problem) and the elusive corporate were on the rise. It has not, since before the lockout, trended downward at any point.

But thanks for telling us what we do and don't deserve, oh pious one.
Averaging what, 13,000-14,000 fans(not including the giveaways) over the last few seasons, when the Preds were one of the best teams in the Western conference is pretty pathetic. It's one thing for the fans not to show up when the team is playing poorly, but when they're one of the best in the league and they can't come close to selling out on a regular basis, it's not going to work.

Old
06-02-2007, 03:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Averaging what, 13,000-14,000 fans(not including the giveaways) over the last few seasons, when the Preds were one of the best teams in the Western conference is pretty pathetic. It's one thing for the fans not to show up when the team is playing poorly, but when they're one of the best in the league and they can't sell out, it's bad.
Up yours, 11,000 of that 14,000 was average fans. It aint us, it's corporations. If we could get the corporate support of even just the middle level teams they would be talking about including the Predators in plans for the future convention center.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Up yours, 11,000 of that 14,000 was average fans. It aint us, it's corporations. If we could get the corporate support of even just the middle level teams they would be talking about including the Predators in plans for the future convention center.
Like I said, it's not you're fault, you guys on here are the diehards. It sucks for you. It's the casual fan that's not there, and I don't think Nashville is the right market to create that fan.

Old
06-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
Averaging what, 13,000-14,000 fans(not including the giveaways) over the last few seasons, when the Preds were one of the best teams in the Western conference is pretty pathetic. It's one thing for the fans not to show up when the team is playing poorly, but when they're one of the best in the league and they can't come close to selling out on a regular basis, it's not going to work.
Please do some research before making ignorant comments.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...naheim_lineup/
Quote:
According to Bettman, the Nashville Predators have the highest number of individual season ticket-holders in the league. "The team suffering is due to the lack of corporate support," said Bettman
Modern day sports don't work without corporate sponsors buying lower-bowl tickets - they are too expensive for the average fan, and this is for every city, not just Nashville.

The casual fans there seem to be purchasing tickets.

Last edited by Jazz: 06-02-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 04:15 PM
AdsSabresRule

Casual fans...

Quote:
Like I said, it's not you're fault, you guys on here are the diehards. It sucks for you. It's the casual fan that's not there, and I don't think Nashville is the right market to create that fan.
I'm sure its been said before...but, it is not the walkup they need to be looking at. Its the corporate, 20 - 30 seats per game group that the team needs to sell. That also is a direct reflection of the support of the local business community. I don't know the facts behind the Bettman statement of Nashville having more individual season tix holders in the league, (if I read a previous post correctly) but like say in Buffalo, you can't sniff a ticket since they got good two seasons ago. Because the big companies buy wholesale blocks of good seats for promos, giveaways, or sell em' to tix brokers at a huge profit for seats they definately won't use... (I think prior to the year, they had sold 14 or 15 thousand season tix/of an 18.5 seat building, the breakdown of corporate/private I don't know) Its a racket, but a necessary one to compete/survive, IMO.

Last edited by AdsSabresRule: 06-02-2007 at 04:17 PM. Reason: season tix, not walkups...
AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Nashville108*

Quote:
what are you talking about??? We have the most casual fans in the league in our barn. That is definately not the problem.

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 06:56 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville108 View Post
what are you talking about??? We have the most casual fans in the league in our barn. That is definately not the problem.
That's something that's lost on a lot of the less keyed-in fans in the league. There are few teams in the league that could sell-out COMPLETELY to fans, with no help from corporate tickets. In fact, I'd wager there's maybe 5 teams in the league that could pull that off,a nd I"m not convinced they could do it game after game, either.

Old
06-03-2007, 11:21 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/NHL-...attendance.htm

Hmm all these teams have had a comparable attendance figure.

Nashville: 2003-13,228/ 2004- 13,168/ 2007-15,259

Winnipeg: 1990-13,106/ 1991-12,931/ 1993-13,550/ 1996- 11,316

Hartford: 1993-10,144/ 1994-10,492/ 1995-11,822

Quebec: 1991- 14,188/ 1992- 13,666

Edmonton: 1993-14,797/ 1994- 13,478/ 1995- 13,124/ 1996- 12,355/ 2001-15,612 2007-16,839

There are a number of teams out there that has attendance issues. I think Leipold overexarrated his losses and got a hell of a deal for the team. Our attendance was better this year; hopefully the new owner actually tries to make it work here. I think Leipold may have burned bridges to the business sector that maybe Basillie could tap into if he gives this market more time to grow into a hockey city. I still think the elitism that runs amok here is exhausting. Numbers above from "hockey cities" show that most cities have had attendance issues.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote