HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

EJHL vs NAHL

Old
05-26-2007, 12:34 PM
AmericanJedi

vCash: 500
EJHL vs NAHL

How does the EJHL compare with the NAHL? I hear a lot of different opinions and am not sure who to trust. This is a general question encompassing all advantages and/or disadvantages each league may offer; playing style, succession to D1, Pro alumni, age, size, speed, hitting, exposure, coaching styles, and how the leagues might do if they were to play each other. I read some articles about a tournament held in 04' between the two leagues, but I know that things change quickly and am wondering if the EJ has caught up at all.

AmericanJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
Quote:
Originally Posted by olayusa View Post
How does the EJHL compare with the NAHL? I hear a lot of different opinions and am not sure who to trust. This is a general question encompassing all advantages and/or disadvantages each league may offer; playing style, succession to D1, Pro alumni, age, size, speed, hitting, exposure, coaching styles, and how the leagues might do if they were to play each other. I read some articles about a tournament held in 04' between the two leagues, but I know that things change quickly and am wondering if the EJ has caught up at all.
The EJ sends more guys to d1 schools, but it's at a cost. You basically have to pay for everything there (team fees, living, transportation, etc).

Pensfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 02:39 PM
AmericanJedi

Really? I wouldnt have guessed that, but im from Florida...its definitely possible that I dont hear everything. Thats interesting. So thats why players go NAHL, to avoid costs? The Monarchs, Green Mountain, and Baystate from the EJHL would be on par with NAHL teams?

Old
05-26-2007, 06:30 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Here's an excerpt from ushr.com's report on a tournament held back in October 2004 where NAHL team and EJHL teams played each other...

"The NAHL won three quarters of the head-to-head matchups with EJHL teams, taking 33 of the 44 games. Many were blowouts; others were close. Of the latter, there were 17 one-goal games, 10 won by the NAHL and seven by the EJHL. The NAHL outscored the EJHL by 196-108, an average score of NAHL 4.45, EJHL 2.45. The worst day for the EJHL was the second day, when they went 0-for-11.

Itís early still, but the iron of the NAHL appears to be Texas and Fargo-Moorhead. A strong second group would include Youngstown, Santa Fe, and Billings. Texarcana and the Jr Blues also looked good.

The EJHL went 4-13 against those seven clubs. Apple Core beat Santa Fe in a shootout on Friday. The New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs, not intimidated by the physical play of Texas and riding a hat trick from Dan Bartlett, upset the Texas Tornado 3-2 on Friday. The Junior Bruins beat the Springfield Jr. Blues 5-4 on Saturday. The New England Huskies

No EJHL teams had a winning recordvs. the NAHL, but the Junior Bruins, New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs, Baystate Breakers, and the Valley Jr. Warriors had the most success in head-to-head-competition vs. the seven top NAHL teams mentioned above."

With that kind of domination I'd say the NAHL is a notch above the EJHL.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 09:16 PM
VOB

The NAHL has really fallen off as of late but I would still give it the nod over the EJHL, although a very slight nod.

VOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2007, 10:21 PM
hockeydadx2*

If the EJ sends more kids to D1, and if the reasons these leagues exist is for development, then how can the NAHL get the nod over the EJ by any judgment?

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2007, 12:12 PM
VOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydadx2 View Post
If the EJ sends more kids to D1, and if the reasons these leagues exist is for development, then how can the NAHL get the nod over the EJ by any judgment?
Does the EJ send more kids to D-1???

According to Heisenberg's site, the NAHL still sends about a dozen more players on to the D-1 ranks every year.

VOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2007, 12:22 PM
AmericanJedi

So is there no official verdict? Are they very comparable leagues as far as D1 development is concerned but have very different playing styles?

Old
06-01-2007, 09:26 AM
jrhockeybrain

Ejhl

The EJHL has half the teams the NAHL has and they put more kids into Hockey East than the NAHL and the USHL combined. If you wanna play in the WCHA dont go to the EJ but if you wanna play D-1 hockey and your a good player Go EJHL. I still dont think the NAHL puts more kids into college but i might be wrong i haven't seen the numbers but i do know without the USNTDP team the NA's numbers gotta drop.

PRO'S

NAHL- Fans, Fighting, Dont have to pay, The NON Advancment hockey leauge NAHL.

EJHL- Wont get your face beaten in by some bender who's who's not going to play college hockey and probably play in the STHL, and a possible scholarship.

jrhockeybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 09:54 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhockeybrain View Post
The EJHL has half the teams the NAHL has and they put more kids into Hockey East than the NAHL and the USHL combined. If you wanna play in the WCHA dont go to the EJ but if you wanna play D-1 hockey and your a good player Go EJHL. I still dont think the NAHL puts more kids into college but i might be wrong i haven't seen the numbers but i do know without the USNTDP team the NA's numbers gotta drop.
First off, the USHL puts waaaay more players into D1 than the EJHL and NAHL combined. Secondly, most players that play in the EJ are from the north east and have always been inclined to go to an eastern school, so it makes sense that the WCHA doesn't draw from the EJ. From my count the EJHL will put 42 players in D1 in 2007 while the NAHL will put 51, not including the NTDP players.

Old
06-02-2007, 10:28 AM
jrhockeybrain

well i guess its a pretty close call considering the NAHL puts more guys to d-1 but they also have 18 teams opposed to the EJHL's 12 i think. Were are you getting the numbers from though? i couldent find them anywhere.

jrhockeybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2007, 04:46 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhockeybrain View Post
well i guess its a pretty close call considering the NAHL puts more guys to d-1 but they also have 18 teams opposed to the EJHL's 12 i think. Were are you getting the numbers from though? i couldent find them anywhere.
Chris Heisenberg's NCAA recruits page...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...HIEmPaWQ&gid=0

Old
06-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Kevin Wey

I would give the NAHL a slight advantage as far as skill level, but the EJHL is a great location because of the location of DI teams AND a plethora of NCAA DIII teams. At this point in time, if you want to play NCAA DI hockey, you really want to be in the USHL. It's far and away the best junior league in the United States. The one bummer about the EJHL, as some have mentioned, is it costs a small fortune to play each season. The number of fans at EJHL games are very low (talking to players who have played in the EJHL). The NAHL isn't the USHL as far as attendance is concerned, but there are a few fairly established junior hockey cities in the NAHL.

The question really is, why is one asking? If they are a player, then they need to ask some questions about where they want to play college hockey. They also have to ask what sort of budget they have, can they afford to play in the EJHL?

A player should first and foremost shoot for the USHL, regardless if you're from Alaska, California, Minnesota, Texas, Maine, or Florida. If you can't make a USHL team, then these other questions come into play.

One thing about the NAHL, it's an older league. It's older than the USHL. The USHL's roster rules keep it somewhat young (originally a criticism, but it seems to be becoming a strength). The NAHL is full of a lot of 19- and 20-year-olds who didn't break into the USHL, for whatever reason. I have known personally a few players who played in the NAHL and they developed their game significantly while there.

Another important question for a player is what do they want to be doing while playing in the NAHL or EJHL? Will they be working or getting a head start on their college coursework? What you plan to do educationally or with work experience will/should play a role in what team you go to. Different towns will make more sense for different players.

Junior hockey is, ultimately (be it Junior B or the USHL), what the player makes of it. He can make it a stepping stone to higher levels or it can devolve down to someplace to party until they're 20 (more of a problem at the Junior B level). But, even Junior B can be used by a player as a stepping stone to junior A, or DIII, or a good ACHA school (there are some very good ACHA college programs at some excellent schools).

In head-to-head matchups, I'd give the NAHL the nod. But, both serve a purpose and both can be utilized by players to make major improvements in their games. It's a lot better than midgets and high school(in most cases) and can really help a player mature as a player and a person before going to college.

Kevin Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 07:05 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
I would definantly give the nod to the NAHL. There r alot of peeps who have played in the NAHL who r in the NHL now.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Tornado OS

Send a message via Yahoo to Tornado OS
Its amazing that we have this thread at least two or three times a season.

Tornado OS is offline   Reply With Quote