Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Selanne´s defensive game

Old
06-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Padan

vCash: 500
Selanne´s defensive game

I was wondering weather those of you who have seen Teemu's play more, could share some light into his defensive game.

I remember that he was fairly one-dimensional back in the 90´s. Has he improved his defensive play?

Padan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Tfighter

Yeah, i think he back checks more than he used to. Also, he takes some key faceoffs also. I dont remember if he did that in the 90s.

Tfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 01:00 PM
DucksWon'07

Send a message via AIM to DucksWon'07
He'sgood on the fore check, but I would shuter if I saw him skating back on a 2 on 1.

DucksWon'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 01:09 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
I don't think he was bad at defense in the 90s so much as he didn't try. He'd always be hanging out near the blueline, ready to go on a breakaway.

Now he does try, and he's pretty decent. Not good, but likely near the top of the offensive star category.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 03:12 PM
snowcloud

Randy Carlyles' coaching might have helped. Plus, he's on a good defensive team and that never hurts. Sometimes as a player gets older, they develop more aspects to their game.

snowcloud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Larkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
I don't think he was bad at defense in the 90s so much as he didn't try. He'd always be hanging out near the blueline, ready to go on a breakaway.

Now he does try, and he's pretty decent. Not good, but likely near the top of the offensive star category.
OT: That reminded me that nowadays there is just too few brakeaways... Only in shootouts .

I have that Selanne video from he's rookie season in Jets and oh boy how many breakaway goals he scored.

Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 03:21 PM
TeMoZ

Selanne is better defensively than most people think. That is all that I will say.

TeMoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 03:47 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
I have that Selanne video from he's rookie season in Jets and oh boy how many breakaway goals he scored.
No kidding, it seemed like he would get 4-6 clean breakaways a week. Too bad he was never as fast again after the injury in his 2nd year. That first year Teemu had just unearthly acceleration and speed.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 03:50 PM
caliamad

He occasionally makes a bad pass in the defensive zone or doesn't get the puck out, but its much more rare than earlier in his careear. He takes much less risk with the puck in the defensive zone.

He backchecks when the situations arises, but usually in the offensive zone he's paired with someone whose focused on defesene (Marchant, Kunitz) so he doesn't need to backcheck too often.

One complaint could be is that when he changes line he just gets the puck out of the zone then changes, other lines tend to get the puck in deep then change. But thats a line thing, not a selanne thing.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Davey Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
No kidding, it seemed like he would get 4-6 clean breakaways a week. Too bad he was never as fast again after the injury in his 2nd year. That first year Teemu had just unearthly acceleration and speed.
It's crazy to think that Teemu's injury came against the Ducks and then he eventually ended up playing for us. Without his injury, he may never have been moved and we never would have had Teemu. Anybody remember which player it was that severed his tendon? In some morbid way, we should thank him for hurting Teemu.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 05:28 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Duck View Post
It's crazy to think that Teemu's injury came against the Ducks and then he eventually ended up playing for us. Without his injury, he may never have been moved and we never would have had Teemu. Anybody remember which player it was that severed his tendon? In some morbid way, we should thank him for hurting Teemu.
It was Don McSween's skate that cut Teemu accidentally. And ironically, McSween took a similar cut to his arm from Tkachuk's skate the next season, which pretty much ended his career. Bizarre.

Old
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Davey Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt View Post
It was Don McSween's skate that cut Teemu accidentally. And ironically, McSween took a similar cut to his arm from Tkachuk's skate the next season, which pretty much ended his career. Bizarre.
Thanks for the info. I vaguely remember all that.

I really am surprised at how rarely skate blade accidents happen. Those are two incidents close together, but with as many minutes that are played each year and the physicality of the game, it seems like it would happen quite often.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Lyons71

Quote:

I really am surprised at how rarely skate blade accidents happen. Those are two incidents close together, but with as many minutes that are played each year and the physicality of the game, it seems like it would happen quite often.
I always notice how hard players that are falling try to keep their skates from hitting people. Most guys realize how dangerous they can be. And anyone who's even skated knows how sharp skates are...

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 09:24 PM
theShiba

Meh... He's not exactly a defensive star or anything, but I think that he does his job on the backcheck. He's probably made fewer costly mistakes than, say.... Joe DiPenta.

theShiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 10:20 PM
DucksWon'07

Send a message via AIM to DucksWon'07
Quote:

Everytime I see a skate at hip level or higher I cring.

DucksWon'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2007, 10:53 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksWillWin'07 View Post
Everytime I see a skate at hip level or higher I cring.
The Clint Malarchuk incident was still the scariest thing I've ever seen happen on the ice.

Old
06-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
...and usually assisted by Phil Housley. Still remember those days like yesterday.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Bjindaho

Was the Clint Malarchuk incident anywhere near as bad as the Trent McCleary incident?

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 12:10 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
Was the Clint Malarchuk incident anywhere near as bad as the Trent McCleary incident?
Considering you could see blood spurting from Clint's neck in sync with his beating heart ... I'd say yeah.