HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former Ref Says Ducks are old Broad Street Bullies

Old
06-02-2007, 10:45 AM
PinkPanther

vCash: 500
Former Ref Says Ducks are old Broad Street Bullies

I found this article that I found interesting. I agree with some points, maybe not all. What's your view?

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...ry/GlobeSports

Last edited by PinkPanther: 06-02-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: copyright
PinkPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 10:57 AM
DaveMatthew

The stuff I've had a problem with is the after the play interference.

For example, Sean O'Donnell knocks down Mike Comrie in the Ducks zone and then proceeds to sit on him for a good 5 seconds while Anaheim's forwards transition.

With that said though, I don't think you can blame the refereeing for our poor play. It might contribute to it, but careless giveaways have been our biggest problem, and that has everything to do with us.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 10:59 AM
ladybugblue

If the Ducks end up winning it all...it will be the first time a team that lead the league in penalties in regular season and post season would win since the Philly teams on the 70s.

I still think the Senators can fight through it but the point is the same is this what the league had in mind for the NHL...do you want to see skill players making brillant plays or do you want to see hitting, checking, and virtually no shots or chances on net?? The Senators are just as guilty in some games, but their skill players were not grinding the game to a hault. This is not what I expected two years ago, but there it is.

ladybugblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 11:07 AM
PinkPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
The stuff I've had a problem with is the after the play interference.

For example, Sean O'Donnell knocks down Mike Comrie in the Ducks zone and then proceeds to sit on him for a good 5 seconds while Anaheim's forwards transition.

Those hits on Comrie were brutal. I too don't want to blame our losses on the refs.

Old
06-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPanther View Post
I found this article that I found interesting. I agree with some points, maybe not all. What's your view?

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...ry/GlobeSports

This country
MacGregor: Obstruction rears its ugly head again

ROY MacGREGOR

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

ANAHEIM The East Katella Avenue Thugs?

They have no nickname Ducks, surely, is bad enough but Bruce Hood says he couldn't stop thinking that, somehow, the Broad Street Bullies were back in the Stanley Cup final.

Not the Ottawa Senators versus the Anaheim Ducks, as advertised. But the 2007 Ottawa Senators up against the Philadelphia Flyers, circa mid-1970s.

Hood is not as lost in time as it might appear. Something happened to the "new NHL" on Monday during Anaheim's 3-2 victory. It became the "old NHL." Or the "new new NHL," where obstruction appears to have been welcomed back.
Related to this article
Latest Comments Comments

Hood, who was on the ice for 157 Stanley Cup games in his 21-year Hall of Fame career as a National Hockey League official, couldn't believe what he was watching from his rural home northwest of Toronto. To him, it wasn't just the Anaheim defencemen holding up and interfering with Ottawa attackers at will, and without many calls, it was a return to the old intimidation tactics of the Bobby Clarke Flyers.

He saw Dave (the Hammer) Schultz back on the ice, staying in the Ottawa crease even after whistles had blown, continuing to hack away at the goaltender and daring any Ottawa player to try to stop him. He saw Ed Van Impe back on the ice delivering those short and painful in-close cross-checks to any Senator who happened to reach the Anaheim net. He saw Clarke jabbing with his stick in the corners and strategically slashing the hands of any Ottawa player trying to work the puck along the boards.

But it wasn't Clarke, Van Impe or Schultz. It was players not even born when the Broad Street Bullies briefly ruled, and some say briefly ruined, the NHL.

"It's just so frustrating to watch," Hood said. "They keep saying they want the game better, but then they let all this interference and rubbing guys out against the boards right back into the game."

Of particular concern to Hood is what now takes place regularly in front of goaltenders, where scoring chances look more like car crashes and, it seems, the goaltender is at the mercy of the hacking sticks and the whistle, often late, of the referee. The retired official is concerned that the goaltender is getting "crucified" the way the game is being played, with almost all attack and defence now, as well using the same strategy of piling up bodies in front of the net. Power plays now sometimes look like soccer penalty shots.

"They need a whole different look at the rules," said Hood, who made numerous suggestions about improving the game in his 1999 book, The Good of the Game: Recapturing Hockey's Greatness.

First, he would get rid of the two-referee system, saying it fails to allow individual referees to get "a feel for the game" and officiate accordingly.

"Why does the referee have to be there climbing up the back of the net when they have video replay?" he asked. "Maybe it looks flashy, or something, but it makes no sense to me."

Hood is adamant that he is not some curmudgeon yearning for "the good old days," but sees much of the "new NHL" changes of the past two seasons, with a certain amount of tweaking, producing a hard-played game of skill and speed.

"I can't understand why they can't see that putting people through the boards does nothing to sell the game," he said. "People want to see scoring and good plays. Not interference."

The Senators were clearly caught off-guard by the physical play of the Ducks and the apparent sudden slackening of the obstruction rules.

"The rules have to be made clear to me," Ottawa coach Bryan Murray said. "That's all."

"If they're not going to call it," Jason Spezza added, "then we're going to have to do it ourselves, I guess."

Which, of course, will mean more obstruction still.

"It just sickens me," said the man who sits in front of his television these days, wishing he still had a whistle to blow.
More stupid excuses. You Canadians sure are turning out to be whiners.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 11:36 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapninja View Post
24 posts probably from so cal. Have you ever put on a pair of skates. Do you know what shin pads are? How about an extension? Seriously I bet you cant tell me what one is off the top of your head. Dont generalize a whole country after one article.

Anaheim is very good at pushing the limits of the rules. They are built to play like this and they are doing it very effectively. So far Ottawa's reaction has been very weak. Hopefully they can answer back in a much stronger fashion.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Reuben

Quote:
maybe you need to watch more closely than, it's true they are running interference/picks, nothing to do with excuses it's just the plain truth, take of the homer glasses and watch, or maybe you think it's basketball where picks are aloud. the Ducks know exactly what they are doing, i'd go so far as to say it's systemic, but hey i can't blame the ducks at all, it's the officials and leagues job to enforce the rules as they see fit, not the ducks job. i'm surprised folks are just starting to notice this now it's been going on for quite some time.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

If I remember correctly, it was the "skilled" Montreal Canadiens ending up showing that the Broad Street bullying did not work. Sens can do the same. They need to be physical, but more importantly skate and skate hard.

Manny Fernandez on the Team1200 was just saying how he is surprised not many of the players were commenting on the crappy ice in Anaheim (and as the ducks 1st round opponent he should know what it's like. I think Corvo was the only one) and how it is a distinct advantage to the ducks who are used to playing on it all year and serves to slow up the game. While true that both teams play on the same ice, if your team is based on skill, skating, passing, etc. like the Sens (who never played on it this year), it is a total detriment to their style of play. He likened it to visiting teams playing in Colorado at high altitude. He thinks the ice conditions in Ottawa should definitely be a plus for the Sens.

Reviewing the games 1 & 2, I kind of agree. A lot of the turnovers were attempted passes that seemed to go completely off target, and not just inches (though there were a few of those) but by several feet, not usually a trait attributed to the Sens. Moen's winning goal was bouncing all over the place before being swatted into the net.

The way to beat physical teams is to make sure they can't hit you. Which when you're skating in the equivalent of mud is very hard to do. I would not be surprised if the ice conditions in Anaheim are customized to suit the ducks style of play (you know kind like in baseball where teams let the infield grass long to help out their slower footed teams). Remains to be seen if this theory holds water. We'll find out tonight.

GO SENS GO

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 01:33 PM
JimmyPage

Quote:
Your informed analysis is both overwhelming and indisputable.

JimmyPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
24 posts probably from so cal. Have you ever put on a pair of skates. Do you know what shin pads are? How about an extension? Seriously I bet you cant tell me what one is off the top of your head. Dont generalize a whole country after one article.

Anaheim is very good at pushing the limits of the rules. They are built to play like this and they are doing it very effectively. So far Ottawa's reaction has been very weak. Hopefully they can answer back in a much stronger fashion.
just because I'm new to an internet message board doesn't mean I don't play hockey. Guess what? I'm from so cal and I do.

But all I've been hearing about from (a lot of) Canadians is stupid crap like:

1 Anaheim fans don't know anything about hockey
2 Canada deserves to win because (insert reason here)
3 Ducks don't deserve to win because (insert reason here)
4 The reason the sens are getting dominated is because the Ducks are hooligans.

5 The officiating is horrible blah blah
6 The ice in Anaheim is bad (have you ever played on it?)

When will you guys grow up? I honestly hope we win this in 4, and you get to watch our team hoist the cup that you didn't win. Stop looking for excuses and feel grateful that the sens actually made it this far for once.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 01:39 PM
JimmyPage

We ARE grateful they have made it this far (even if they are swept) but these issues remain. But then I guess you know more about hockey than Scotty Bowman & Manny Fernandez.

JimmyPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 01:48 PM
baka

How many times do you play the Rangers a year? Their ice is just as bad as any in Socal.

All teams skate the thin line on stepping in front of players on the dump in... The Ducks have mastered the turn the same way and step into the player half a step instead of full on blocking him.

That extra half second gives the forward time or his defensive partner to get in on the puck and get it out of the zone before the forchecker is in on top of him. They also move away from the puck better than any team I've seen in the defensive zone and as the old saying goes... "The puck moves faster than you can skate".

baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Go_Krog*

fernandez and the wild were all complaining about the anaheim ice and how it would be different on good ice. all that happened was the Duck outskated in game 3 on good ice, just like they had done in games 1 and 2.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

The real issue, in my opinion, is that they have called the "chincy" stuff (as Ron MacLean would say) on Anaheim as often as they've let the interference go. Inconsistency sucks.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:09 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugblue View Post
If the Ducks end up winning it all...it will be the first time a team that lead the league in penalties in regular season and post season would win since the Philly teams on the 70s.

I still think the Senators can fight through it but the point is the same is this what the league had in mind for the NHL...do you want to see skill players making brillant plays or do you want to see hitting, checking, and virtually no shots or chances on net?? The Senators are just as guilty in some games, but their skill players were not grinding the game to a hault. This is not what I expected two years ago, but there it is.
one of the teams is getting shots, chances and making nice plays while hitting and checking at the same time.

I agree with the last post before mine though, Inconsistency is the issue, the refs have called some very marginal penalties on Anaheim while letting some fairly obvious stuff go.

I will say this though, this is the most exciting hockey i've seen all season and to complain about the the game being slowed to a hault is redicuous.

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:25 PM
PinkPanther

Quote:
Are you serious? We were just discussing the article and the former ref's opinion.

Why are you attacking Canadians. Despite that I say with the utmost confidence we know a heck of a lot more about hockey than about 98% of Southern Californian's and most Southern American's in general it's only logical.

Yes, your team is playing great. Tearing up the ice, doing what they are supposed to do and SoCal is now the hockey mecca that is the envy of all Canadians. You're team is rough and tough and skilled an made up of championship players who are second to none. They know the game, play the game better than anyone in the league. THey are outcoaching, outskating, outhitting, outplaying, outclassing blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, their opponent.

There, happy now?

Old
06-02-2007, 02:43 PM
ladybugblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwychen27 View Post
one of the teams is getting shots, chances and making nice plays while hitting and checking at the same time.

I agree with the last post before mine though, Inconsistency is the issue, the refs have called some very marginal penalties on Anaheim while letting some fairly obvious stuff go.

I will say this though, this is the most exciting hockey i've seen all season and to complain about the the game being slowed to a hault is redicuous.
It is slowed to a hault when only one side is even getting shots on goal...I have no problem with the Senators losing the games, but when the other team interferes so much that they don't even get shots on goal it is not very exciting.

I am guessing most of the people that are saying it is exciting are rooting for the Ducks and only REALLY care that Ottawa is losing. One-sided games are not exciting and they are frustrating to watch.

Old
06-02-2007, 02:50 PM
ladybugblue

Quote:
Why are you attacking Canadians. Despite that I say with the utmost confidence we know a heck of a lot more about hockey than about 98% of Southern Californian's and most Southern American's in general it's only logical.
I have noticed this more and more on this board...it seems more posters are happy the Senators are losing than are happy the Ducks are winning...the latest is bashing the players (i.e., Spezza thread on the playoffs forum), Canadians for knowing more hockey (i.e., article by the Canadian press asking people in Anaheim about the finals), Ottawa media (i.e., choking dogs article are already being talked about) and they don't really care about what the game looks like.

I hate fans that try and gloat before anything is even finished...but I tell you they way I feel know...if Ottawa somehow gets out of this and comes out and wins, I will be gloating and I am not one that likes to do that sort of thing.

Old
06-02-2007, 02:56 PM
PinkPanther

Ladybug: I noticed a lot of bashing/trash talking too despite the fact that the Sens have made it to the finals. I have my theories about this and it has nothing to do with Canada vs the US etc. In fact it has nothing at all to do with Americans.

I'd love to publish my rational/theory about this.

Old
06-02-2007, 03:00 PM
ladybugblue

Quote:
Ladybug: I noticed a lot of bashing/trash talking too despite the fact that the Sens have made it to the finals. I have my theories about this and it has nothing to do with Canada vs the US etc. In fact it has nothing at all to do with Americans.

I'd love to publish my rational/theory about this.
I have theories too...but I am getting pissed at seeing this day after day that it is starting to make me mad, and I am not one to get all mad easily.

I am going to try and put it to the side as the negative thoughts aren't good for anyone. Going to try and take deep breathes and calm down.