HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part of reason we are in this predicament:

Old
06-02-2007, 02:07 PM
rban*

vCash: 500
Part of reason we are in this predicament:

Trouble with the whole concept of balancing lines is, it never really works for the Sens. Last year, we tried putting Alfie on a different line from Sepazza-Heat, and it didn't work cuz it turns out Alfie is incapable of carrying a line by himself. In fact our Big Three only seem to play well when they are on the same line...whihc makes it hard cuz we have no superstar who can carry another line.

I think in the offseason I'd consider trading away people like Eaves, Schaeffer and perhaps Mcammond to free up cash and capspace to get a good center who can carry other lines.

Really it's ridiculous that we are in this position just because the CASH line is not doing well.

That's lack of balance for you: when Colorado's Sakic floundered, Forseberg line picked up the slack. When Detroit's Yzeramn had a tough time, Fedorov stepped up. Why dont we have that?? Why does everything seem to depend on the performance of one line for us?

(PLEASE dont say Fisher: Fisher is a great player but he's NOT what we need at this time. Fisher will not be our messiah when the CASH line is neutralized...I'm thinking more in terms of Forseberg during his prime, or Primeau in the Flyer's great run a couple of years back)

We have one first line but no second line (three third lines instead). Works fine when CASH is aflame but as soon as they run into problems the whole team founders.

As for who we could trade for that would be able to pick up the team on his broad shouders and carry us when the CASH line founders...sorry, I dont know. But maybe that's what this thread is for: who do you think would have been able to make a difference last game if he were on our team? Would this person be someone we could trade for next year?

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
No trade talk yet please, we aren't finished.

Twitter: @livelikeagypsy
Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:13 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
No trade talk yet please, we aren't finished.
ok put aside the trade talk, but do you agree that this is a big part of our problem?

Old
06-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
ok put aside the trade talk, but do you agree that this is a big part of our problem?
We'll see after tonight.

Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Generic Username*

Alfie did great with Fisher and Schaefer.

Generic Username* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Disgruntled

Let go of Comrie, try to pick up Gomez? I don't know our cap situation. But I love McAmmond and he deserves a steady home.

Anyway, we can begin talking about this if we lose tonight. Until then, we're still in this series.

Disgruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 02:45 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Trouble with the whole concept of balancing lines is, it never really works for the Sens. Last year, we tried putting Alfie on a different line from Sepazza-Heat, and it didn't work cuz it turns out Alfie is incapable of carrying a line by himself. In fact our Big Three only seem to play well when they are on the same line...whihc makes it hard cuz we have no superstar who can carry another line.

I think in the offseason I'd consider trading away people like Eaves, Schaeffer and perhaps Mcammond to free up cash and capspace to get a good center who can carry other lines.

Really it's ridiculous that we are in this position just because the CASH line is not doing well.

That's lack of balance for you:
Im not sure which side you arguing. We do or dont need balanced lines? In previous years the complaint was always that Jacques would balance the lines and what we needred was one dominant top line. Now we have one.

I dont think we will find much cap space getting rid of McAmmond and Eaves do you? Cant really replace them much cheaper.

The elite teams of the Sakic Forsberg, Yzerman Federove are gone. We need to choose our strengths now and focus on them i would think. Every team will need a weakness. Although its pretty hard to see Anaheims at the moment.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 03:07 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjammin View Post
Alfie did great with Fisher and Schaefer.
Yeah, while I'm not at all in favour of taking the balanced lines approach, Alfredsson was the sole catalyst for Fisher and Schaefer upping their games in late winter/early spring.

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 03:08 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled View Post
Let go of Comrie, try to pick up Gomez? I don't know our cap situation.
not possible.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 03:15 PM
spoon*

Quote:
That's lack of balance for you: when Colorado's Sakic floundered, Forseberg line picked up the slack. When Detroit's Yzeramn had a tough time, Fedorov stepped up. Why dont we have that?? Why does everything seem to depend on the performance of one line for us?

(PLEASE dont say Fisher: Fisher is a great player but he's NOT what we need at this time. Fisher will not be our messiah when the CASH line is neutralized...I'm thinking more in terms of Forseberg during his prime, or Primeau in the Flyer's great run a couple of years back)

We have one first line but no second line (three third lines instead). Works fine when CASH is aflame but as soon as they run into problems the whole team founders.
Comrie is a 2nd line center...Previous 2-time 30-goal, 60-point getter and with good linemates that could become 40-goals and 80-pooints so I would suggest something like:

Vermette-Comrie-Eaves

I've already posted this before and it could be a great line. Very speedy and all 20-30 goal scorers

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 06:53 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Im not sure which side you arguing. We do or dont need balanced lines? In previous years the complaint was always that Jacques would balance the lines and what we needred was one dominant top line. Now we have one.

We do need both. We need a powerful dominant first line, and in addition we need a superstar center spearheading a true bone fide 2nd line (someone on the calibre of pre lockout Forsberg or Primeau). As the team is presentlt constructed we cannot do that, cuz separatinbg one of the Big Three doesnt really work.

And I dont think that's impossible to achieve. We have a lot of players who are good but not great, and we could prbbaly trade a couple of em to get this monster of the 2nd.

Old
06-02-2007, 06:54 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3phano View Post
Comrie is a 2nd line center...Previous 2-time 30-goal, 60-point getter and with good linemates that could become 40-goals and 80-pooints so I would suggest something like:

Not good enough. Comrie good, but he's no Forsberg or Primeau. Even if he has good numbers, he's not that kind of leader, a guy who can pick everyone up on his shoulders and will their way to a Cup.

Old
06-02-2007, 06:58 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
There wasn't a salary cap back then. It's nearly impossible to do it in this new era unless you want to give up something else significant on your team.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2007, 07:02 PM
MmmBacon

Quote:
Trouble with the whole concept of balancing lines is, it never really works for the Sens. Last year, we tried putting Alfie on a different line from Sepazza-Heat, and it didn't work cuz it turns out Alfie is incapable of carrying a line by himself.
Your premise is wrong. Alfie had some of his best years while being centered by Todd White.

MmmBacon is offline   Reply With Quote