HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

GDT: Flames vs RedWings (Thurs, Feb 26th)

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2004, 07:15 AM
Spike

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Spike Send a message via MSN to Spike Send a message via Yahoo to Spike
GDT: Flames vs RedWings (Thurs, Feb 26th)

Ouch! The Flames barely have time to get over the hang overs from the Colorado victory party... then they jump on a plane and head to Detroit!!

Will their victory momentum from the Avs thrashing carry through onto the RedWings??!! I'd certainly love to see that!! Another shut out perhaps?!?!?! Too much to ask!! The Redwings are at the top of the west... the Flames helped put them there when they beat the Avs the other night... This game may well be brutal! But it should be excellent to watch!

Starting goalie? It better be Kipper, he's gonna be on a high after that Avs game, if Turek starts tonight I'm jumping a plane and gonna lay the smack down on a coach.

Injuries?? Whose not dressed?

Goal scorer predictions?

Final score predictions?

Old
02-26-2004, 09:52 AM
mandingo

Sounds like Chelios might be out tonight, and in the Sun today Dave Lewis said he wouldn't call anyone up but use Maltby at D if he needs to. Hopefully the flames can take advantage of the Wings weakened defence and their backup goalie with Joseph still on the shelf.

Flames 3 - Wings 2

Iginla, Saprykin, Ference

Old
02-26-2004, 11:19 AM
dats-13

no he called up Anders Myrvold

Defenseman Anders Myrvold recalled
Grand Rapids Griffins defenseman Anders Myrvold has been recalled by the Detroit Red Wings for tonight's game against the Calgary Flames at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

The call-up likely signals that at least one -- possibly both -- of defensemen Chris Chelios (shoulder) and Mathieu Dandenault (wrist) will be unable to play tonight.

In 58 games with the Griffins this season, the 6'2", 200lb. Myrvold has no goals, 16 assists and is a +3 to go along with 78 PIMs

GO WINGS GO

Old
02-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike
Ouch! The Flames barely have time to get over the hang overs from the Colorado victory party... then they jump on a plane and head to Detroit!!
Actually it's a home game in Calgary.

It will be Nieminen's first game.

Sounds like Detroit has a lot of injuries on the defense.

Old
02-26-2004, 12:17 PM
ES

BIG (having Sens, Devils, Avs and Wings) streak ending now. If Flames win, it makes 4 points in 4 games. There is still other that kind of streak coming. They are important for our playoff hopes.
I say 3-1 for Calgary. Iggy, Leopold and Nieminen score. Last is empty-netter.

Old
02-26-2004, 07:15 PM
OBCT

Send a message via MSN to OBCT
Injuries:
Flames - Dave Lowry (abdomen) out; Jamie McLennan (sternum) out; Mike Commodore (separated shoulder) out; Blair Betts (dislocated shoulder) out.
Red Wings - Dominik Hasek (groin) out; Curtis Jospeh (ankle) out; Derian Hatcher (knee) out; Niklas Kronwall (ankle) out; Jason Woolley (back) doubtful; Chris Chelios (left shoulder) doubtful; Mathieu Dandenault (wrist) questionable; Boyd Devereaux (face) questionable.

Not dressed:
Flames - Lynn Loyns, Steve Reinprecht, Krzysztof Oliwa, Steve Montador.
Red Wings - Jason Williams.

Prediction:
3-2 Flames. Goal scorers: Flames - Iggy (2) and Donovan; Red Wings - Shanahan and Lidstrom.

Last edited by OBCT: 02-26-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old
02-26-2004, 10:43 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
i bet if iginla tried passing more, he might get more assists. this is just my theory.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:43 PM
kruezer

That took some guts to sit Reinprecht, lets hope it works. The Flames should have had this game, but Manny put in a solid performance and the Flames just didn't finish, we need Iginla to start dominating again. Pretty good game to watch I thought, they could have gone four points up on St. Loo too, oh well, this Phoenix game is now a must I think, can't lose those ones. Hopefully Iginla pops a hatty next game, he's been sort of silent since the Ottawa game, maybe thinking of Chara just slows him down? Kobasew really seems to be finding his role now though, which is always good, better late than never.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:09 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Very good effort tonight, but the Wings made the Flames pay for their mistakes. The Flames outshot Detroit 28-10 over the final two periods, and really took it to them the last half of the third. It was a disapointing loss, but they played a pretty inspired game I thought. They can run with the big boys, which is a good sign, because we still have two left against these guys. And on a side note, man Pavel Datsyuk is a slick player. What a talent he is to watch....

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
02-27-2004, 01:00 AM
OBCT

Sigh... 2-1 loss.

The first half of the game sounded UGLY.
The second half sounded superb.
Unforunately, Legace made some great saves and we couldn't put the biscuit in the basket in the last 5 minutes when we needed to most.

Kiprusoff was remarkable as per usual, and the Kobasew line sounded like they played with alot of passion tonight. Good to hear. Hope they can keep that up.

Two costly turnovers in our zone proved to be the difference. Detroit is incredibly potent if you give 'em those kinds of chances. Datsyuk sure is a dangerous player...
Interesting to see Green back in the lineup (he even earned an assist) as well.

Iggy hasn't looked quite himself lately, especially in terms of putting up points, but he has still been a force for the opposition to deal with. I think some teams have been keying on him especially strongly of late, but the Flames need him to get back on fire, since we haven't had the easiest time scoring goals on this recent stretch. Good effort all around, but just a little short of a win.

Old
02-27-2004, 08:40 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
When Kobasew scored in the third, I thought I was having flashbacks of MacInnis unloading. Nice shot Chucky! This is why we need that big point shot, especially on the PP, it killed us today (along with give aways).
So do you guys think Chuck could play point on the PP - or not enough experience?

Old
02-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT
Not dressed:
Flames - Steve Reinprecht
Yeah, what's the real deal? He was listed as "healthy" on espn.com, and this morning's USA Today said he had the flu.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:05 AM
vega007

One thing about this game for sure, Leopold is a horrible PP QB. Get him the hell out of there

Old
02-27-2004, 10:55 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
One thing about this game for sure, Leopold is a horrible PP QB. Get him the hell out of there
The guy's 24 years old. There's going to be a learning curve.

Who would you have QB the PP? Like him or not, Leopold's our best offensive d-man.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:20 PM
kruezer

Quote:
He's gonna be around 25-30 points in his first full year, thats solid for a 24 year old D-man, just solid, I mean nobody just jumps in and puts up 40. I like him high on the PP feeding the puck to Iginla at the top of the circle.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:22 PM
vega007

I don't think so at all. Anyone who has seen Phaneuf plays knows that this guy is the next Al McInnis......his shot is simply devastating from the point

For this reason, stop "developing" Leopold to be the QB....and get a forward to do it. Iginla or Kobasew would be nice. I like Kobasews positioning on the PP and Iginla.....well that goes without saying.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:29 PM
kruezer

Quote:
I don't think so at all. Anyone who has seen Phaneuf plays knows that this guy is the next Al McInnis......his shot is simply devastating from the point

For this reason, stop "developing" Leopold to be the QB....and get a forward to do it. Iginla or Kobasew would be nice. I like Kobasews positioning on the PP and Iginla.....well that goes without saying.
Phaneuf is dynamite from what I've seen, but there's a reason Leopold is known for his offense, its stellar, I mean last year he certainly didn't make the Flames because of his D (which is much better this year). I like a PP in the future of him and Phaneuf on the points, Iginla and Kobasew in the slot/high boards and Saprykin behind/infront of the net.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:31 PM
vega007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Phaneuf is dynamite from what I've seen, but there's a reason Leopold is known for his offense, its stellar, I mean last year he certainly didn't make the Flames because of his D (which is much better this year). I like a PP in the future of him and Phaneuf on the points, Iginla and Kobasew in the slot/high boards and Saprykin behind/infront of the net.
I'll drink to that my friend. I honestly believe those five guys will lead us back to glory. I'm drooling right now just thinking of that PP...

Old
02-27-2004, 03:54 PM
OBCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Yeah, what's the real deal? He was listed as "healthy" on espn.com, and this morning's USA Today said he had the flu.
Healthy scratch. I listened to the game on the radio and they said it was a tough choice for Sutter, but he decided to bench Reinprecht as a game-time decision. We can hope that this gives Steve a reality check and kickstarts the production we all know he's capable of (just in time for the playoffs?...)

The possibility of the ex-Avalanche line being reunited still remains should Yelle, Reinprecht and Nieminen all crack the lineup at once. I wouldn't mind that line, personally.

I'm just interested in seeing when Reinprecht earns his way back into the lineup...

Old
02-27-2004, 04:26 PM
OMA

Quote:

I agree with Phaneuf. His shot is lethal and it's going to be a great asset on the PP in the future.

But Leopold's vision on the ice is superior to Phaneuf's, granted he is 6 years older. But i think even in their prime's, Leopold will be a better playmaker than Phaneuf. Leopold lacks the overwhelming shot, that's where Phaneuf comes in down the road.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:29 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
I think Reinprecht is still hurt. When you watch him his skating is fine, but how often does he put anything behind a shot?
I got a harder shot than him right now
He's definitly not playing at the calibre I expected from him

Old
02-28-2004, 01:29 AM
OBCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
I think Reinprecht is still hurt. When you watch him his skating is fine, but how often does he put anything behind a shot?
I got a harder shot than him right now
He's definitly not playing at the calibre I expected from him
That is possible. I mean, what was said on the radio is necessarily the truth, it just sounded fairly definitive. The possibility of Reinprecht really having a nagging injury of some sort could exist, or he could even be suffering of an 'illness' of sorts. I really don't know.

Hopefully whatever it is, they get it straightened around and he can be the productive 2nd\3rd line we all expected him to be come the playoffs.

Closed Thread