HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL's love affair with Dany Heatley

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2004, 01:21 PM
  #76
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Let's be honest folks. If Kovalchuk had done everything Heatley has done regarding the accident and comeback, he would be treated as a pariah. This love affair with Heatley has everything to do with his image of being a good ole Canadian boy. Kovalchuk gets ripped to shreds for retrieving a puck and Heatley is treated as a hero despite causing Snyder's death
I disagree. Sure, there is borderline racism in the NHl (IE: Euros are soft, Euros wear visors etc). But I really think in a situation like Heatleys, human compassion superscedes the petty suro bashing. I would like to think that no matter the nationality of the driver of the car, he would have been treated with the compassion that is deserved of anyone who inadvertently kills a close friend and teamate.

Marconius is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 01:33 PM
  #77
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
Heres one for everyone then.

Compare Heatley's story and media coverage to say Jonathan Girads story and media coverage.

bb_fan is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 01:40 PM
  #78
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt
There's a reason they blame him ... because he's to blame! What, you gonna blame the car? The wall? He drove ridiculously fast on a narrow, twisty, RESIDENTIAL road. This isn't one of those accidents where no one was at fault.

Most of us have sped before, but I'll bet only a few have gone more than double the speed limit in a residential area on a winding road. And anyone who has, I have no problem saying they should have their license revoked, have their car impounded, and never be allowed behind the wheel of a car ever again. And only after a good while behind bars. People like that are a public menace, and it makes no difference to a person who's killed by a reckless driver that it was due to mere stupidity rather than malice.



He's old enough to know that driving 80+ in a residential area is stupid. Or at least, he ought to have known. I sure didn't have to be in my 20's to figure that one out, but maybe Dany's a little slow.



Yeah, and I'm sure a lot of folks who commit crimes feel badly about it afterwards. Would you be as forgiving if he'd killed a local kid out riding his bike?
the local kid on the bike is a bit of a different situation. No one knows for sure what heppened in the car. Maybe Snyder wasn't completely innocent, maybe he was urging Heatley to open 'er up and show him what the new wheels would do. The local kid on the bike would be completely innocent. If Snyder really had a problem with how Heatly was driving he could've asked Heatley to let him out. I'm not trying to excuse Heatley's actions in anyway, but Snyder played an unknown role in the accident as well

Marconius is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 04:25 PM
  #79
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
Heres one for everyone then.

Compare Heatley's story and media coverage to say Jonathan Girads story and media coverage.
Very simple: Girard is not deemed to be as good a story. The media have little interest in objectivity or making stands for the sake of it. They have interests in what sells and what is popular. These days, we are told hacks like Jordin Tootoo are cream of the crop because of a ridiculous ethnic background and is supposedly a future top 15 star in this league. Meanwhile, Tuomo Ruutu, who brings everything Tootoo brings plus more talent, isn't. Yeah, right. Ok.

Heatley is a superstar. Girard is not. therefore interest by fans and by media is done on a different scale. It really sucks. You just have to take what you read with a grain of salt because otherwise, it becomes a frustrating experience.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 04:45 PM
  #80
DallasStars2003
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: I see the resemblance, don't you?
Posts: 1,987
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DallasStars2003
I do agree with everyone who's saying Heatley got off easy. He's lucky the fans in Atlanta and the press are sympathetic. If it was Dan Snyder returning and he killed Dany Heatley he would never be able to show his face in Atlanta again for killing their bright, shining star. I know it sounds horrible to say but it's the truth. Nobody cared too much about Jonathan Girard, even though his injuries are far worse than Dany Heatley's. Why? Jonathan Girard isn't the next Ray Bourque just like Dany Heatley isn't the next Phil Bourque. Day Heatley was dubbed the next great one by many people in the media and ockey analysts, and when something like this happens, they feel bad for him and consider him a heroic figure when he makes his return. Bottom line, you can feel bad for the kid because he screwed up big time, but he's not a hero. If it was anyone else he wouldn't be a hero, he'd be a villian.

DallasStars2003 is offline  
Old
02-27-2004, 07:39 PM
  #81
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey
 
mmbt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 9,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
the local kid on the bike is a bit of a different situation. No one knows for sure what heppened in the car. Maybe Snyder wasn't completely innocent, maybe he was urging Heatley to open 'er up and show him what the new wheels would do. The local kid on the bike would be completely innocent. If Snyder really had a problem with how Heatly was driving he could've asked Heatley to let him out. I'm not trying to excuse Heatley's actions in anyway, but Snyder played an unknown role in the accident as well
Perhaps, but the possibility that Heatley may have been a willing participant (which will remain conjecture unless Heatley comes completely clean) does not in any way mitigate the fact that going 80 mph in that area was putting the lives of innocents at risk.

I have the same disdain for Heatley as I do for the moronic kids who street race. If they want to put their own lives at risk, that's fine, but when you do that sort of thing on public roads it's entirely different; it shows utter lack of consideration for anyone else's lives. Where was Heatley's vaunted, "character," then? I have relatives living in Atlanta not far from that area ... what if my cousin or my little neice had been on that road?

The fact that there weren't any other people killed is more a matter of luck than anything else. And personally, I don't feel Heatley's good luck in that regard should earn him any more sympathy points than if there had been some innocent kid on the road, because either way he clearly put his own jollies ahead of the safety of local residents. What makes it even worse is he'd already gotten in an accident on that road not long before, and apparently learned nothing.

It may sound harsh, but if he feels burdened with guilt the rest of his life, I'd say it's the least he deserves. He may be a great guy in every other regard, but he's already shown he doesn't give a damn about MY life when I'm out on the road, so why should I have any sympathy for him? I'll save it for Snyder, who even if he was a willing party, paid a much higher price than he deserved to.

mmbt is offline  
Old
02-28-2004, 01:00 AM
  #82
tigger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
What I don't understand is why so many of you feel that Dany has "gotten off easy." He hasn't "gotten off" anything -- the only reason he's not in jail right now is because the Thrashers posted his bond, and he has adhered to the restrictions of that bond agreement. The charges against him are still pending, and the accident is still under investigation. The Fulton County District Attorney's office will decide whether to impanel a grand jury based on their confidence in securing a guilty verdict, which will be affected by the quantity and quality of physical evidence, given that they likely won't have any eyewitness testimony. While I admire the Snyders' attitude towards Dany, their feelings about whether he should be prosecuted will not be taken into consideration. It's too much of a slippery slope.

Bottom line: just because the judicial system hasn't yet decided how to punish Dany, doesn't mean it won't happen.

tigger is offline  
Old
02-28-2004, 02:05 AM
  #83
cws
...in the drink
 
cws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger
What I don't understand is why so many of you feel that Dany has "gotten off easy." He hasn't "gotten off" anything -- the only reason he's not in jail right now is because the Thrashers posted his bond, and he has adhered to the restrictions of that bond agreement. The charges against him are still pending, and the accident is still under investigation. The Fulton County District Attorney's office will decide whether to impanel a grand jury based on their confidence in securing a guilty verdict, which will be affected by the quantity and quality of physical evidence, given that they likely won't have any eyewitness testimony. While I admire the Snyders' attitude towards Dany, their feelings about whether he should be prosecuted will not be taken into consideration. It's too much of a slippery slope.

Bottom line: just because the judicial system hasn't yet decided how to punish Dany, doesn't mean it won't happen.
You're very right, nothing has been decided yet. I think a lot of people have lost sight of that.

I'm not very keen on making presumptions about any situation when I know so few details about it. In this case, all we know are a few very select details and even those are sketchy and yet to be proven. Using that as the basis for an argument makes for a very weak and ultimately useless argument. Doesn't surprise me though; it's all we have right now and some people will of course run with it.

All we're doing right now is running in circles with this subject. I'd much rather wait for something concrete to appear in this case before discussing it anymore. It would make for a much better discussion that we're having right now, that's for sure.

cws is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.