HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds Acquire Matt Ellison from the Flyers

Old
06-04-2007, 05:18 PM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Preds Acquire Matt Ellison from the Flyers

who?

I got the feeling that we should get use to this type of trade/signing from Poile this year.

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...?story_id=1372

Anybody know anything about this guy?

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 05:50 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=handtrick;9454545]who?

I got the feeling that we should get use to this type of trade/signing from Poile this year.

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...?story_id=1372

Anybody know anything about this guy?[/QUOTE]

that's a negative

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Organizational depth acquistion. Will be given the opportunity to compete for a spot in training camp, but will most likely start the season in Milwaukee as an recall option for the third/fourth line.

I think we got too shallow in our minor league depth last season and were exposed badly because of it. The previous season we had a lot of success with recalls like Fiddler, Smithson, and even Tootoo. This season we were hampered by the ineffectiveness of recalls such as Abid, Leahy, and Peverley.

While I still believe Peverley has a future in the organization and Abid will be retained for scoring in Milwaukee...I think we will see a retooling of the rest of our minor league roster starting with the signing of some of our European and collegiate rookies and a few "tweener" players on the younger side with remaining "potential" that might just need a change of scenery to utilize that "potential".

Although he is a tad undersized for the role, I remember Ellison being a young power forward prospect with good history of scoring at the junior level. While he has not lit it up in the professional ranks at any level, I think he might still turn out to be a decent two-way scorer in a third/fourth line role at the NHL level.

Ellision is only 23 years old, but I think he might have been pushed out in Philadelphia because of the influx of younger players coming into the system from the juinor ranks. Not a bad trade, one that will likely have little impact at the NHL level unless Ellison either impresses in camp or we have a rash of injuries next season that facilitate the recall of Ellison from Milwaukee and he subsequently impresses.

Overall, a minor league depth deal. We take a flyer on a prospect who is no longer in the plans for Philadelphia. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm happy to see these types of deals because they are improving our club depth right now...hopefully they don't turn out to be our major moves of the offseason (I highly doubt that).

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Seth Lake

As I thought, but needed to verify...

Ellison will be considered a "veteran" next season in the AHL and due to the limit of 5 "veteran" players on the game roster each night...Ellison was expendable in Philadelphia because they simply didn't have the room for him.

Quote:
The rule limits AHL teams to dressing just five "veterans," an AHL term for skaters who began the season with more than 260 combined regular-season NHL, AHL, IHL or European elite games.
Ellison went over the 260 mark earlier this season with his AHL and NHL time combined.

Old
06-04-2007, 06:47 PM
lstcyr

Maybe the Flyers felt bad for us taking all those picks and players for Forsberg.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 07:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

SLake remains the optimist

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

I get a feeling this guy will be on the Preds 1st line by the end of next season

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
SLake remains the optimist
Just the realist. I don't think that Balsillie would "gut" the team that is considered within their "window" of competing for the Cup right now.

I don't expect any major free agent signings, but do expect the resigning of one or two of our major free agents (preferably Hartnell) and a couple of mid-level signings to fill the holes left after free agency and to address some of the needs that arised during the last season.

Expecting Balsillie to suddenly blow our "budget" approach out the window and push our payroll towards the cap (which is getting ridiculously high) would be a definite mistake and would only go to bolster our "losses" (while continuing to give Powers Management as much of the profits as possible) and further the case for Nashville failing as an NHL market.

I think we need to stop with the doom and gloom after every one of these transactions and look at the big picture and realize that most of us would be applauding these transactions should the other "crap" not be going on regarding the sale of the franchise.

Old
06-04-2007, 08:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Just the realist. I don't think that Balsillie would "gut" the team that is considered within their "window" of competing for the Cup right now.

I don't expect any major free agent signings, but do expect the resigning of one or two of our major free agents (preferably Hartnell) and a couple of mid-level signings to fill the holes left after free agency and to address some of the needs that arised during the last season.

Expecting Balsillie to suddenly blow our "budget" approach out the window and push our payroll towards the cap (which is getting ridiculously high) would be a definite mistake and would only go to bolster our "losses" (while continuing to give Powers Management as much of the profits as possible) and further the case for Nashville failing as an NHL market.

I think we need to stop with the doom and gloom after every one of these transactions and look at the big picture and realize that most of us would be applauding these transactions should the other "crap" not be going on regarding the sale of the franchise.
Why should you doubt that the same guy that's making misdirectionary deals to procure arenas he has no intent of using in Hamilton would "gut the team?"

Old
06-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Why should you doubt that the same guy that's making misdirectionary deals to procure arenas he has no intent of using in Hamilton would "gut the team?"
Nomo Welcome to the "Dark side"

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2007, 08:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Nomo Welcome to the "Dark side"
Haha, I've never really been on the light side, since the news broke. I'm going to do everything I can, I've been attempting to convince everyone I know, especially those that are connected in Nashville business, to get on the ball. I have no doubt that Balsillie's intentions aren't to "give it a try" here. I also, sadly, think that no matter what happens, we're delaying the inevitable.

But...stiff upper lip.

Old
06-04-2007, 08:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

and...for the record...Slake...

I wouldn't have "applauded' the acquisition of Matt Ellison in this year or any other. My reaction would likely have been similar to those claiming that signing Shane Endicott was a "good depth move"

Old
06-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Malurous

I wouldn't rule out an NHL roster spot in Ellison's case. He seemed to be getting going at the NHL level before the trade to Philadelphia, which didn't really work out for him. He's a good two-way player with some offensive upside and is versatile enough to play any forward position. And even if he never makes it in the NHL big time and is only a callup option, that versatility makes him a good player to have in an organization in that capacity.

Malurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 11:47 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Overall, a minor league depth deal. We take a flyer on a prospect who is no longer in the plans for Philadelphia. I know I'm in the minority, but I'm happy to see these types of deals because they are improving our club depth right now...hopefully they don't turn out to be our major moves of the offseason (I highly doubt that).
I agree with you about Ellison being an organizational depth move here......but I also I doubt, however, that it is a mere coincidence that we not rumored to be in the hunt for any of the top 30 free agents, including our own 4.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
I agree with you about Ellison being an organizational depth move here......but I also I doubt, however, that it is a mere coincidence that we not rumored to be in the hunt for any of the top 30 free agents, including our own 4.
HT, I don't follow the rumor mill too closely, nor would I ever spend the money for Eklund's "Insider" status or anything other rumor mills.

Do I believe that we are in the minds of every free agent and their agents? Sure I do. We currently possess a roster that needs some retooling/restocking, but clearly has the foundation of a contender and perennial playoff team. However, there is that undoubted uncertainity over us due to new ownership and I truly believe that we will be truly hurt this summer and beyond if we do not have solid ownership in place and a budget to work with before free agency starts...even if it is to make offers to our own guys while we still have exclusive negotiating rights.

We are screwed right now. I'll admit that. But I have full confidence in Poile, Fenton, Santos, and both our professional and amateur scouting departments that regardless of the ownership situation they are working hard to prepare for the upcoming NHL Draft and free agency. I think moves like this and the signings of players like Matheson and Pihlstrom are great examples of the work they are doing.

As I said...I doubt we will make any "major" free agent signings this summer (Smyth, Drury, Briere, etc), but I'm hoping for us to resign at least one of our own "big guys" and make a few mid-level signings to bolster our bottom two lines (Wayne Primeau, Michal Handzus, Dean McAmmond, etc.).

Old
06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Ellison saw a few cups of coffee over the past few years with the Flyers, but was essentially an AHL player.

Anyone remember the Flyers sending the Predators guys like Jason Beckett and Steve Washburn...along those lines...

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Malurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Ellison saw a few cups of coffee over the past few years with the Flyers, but was essentially an AHL player.

Anyone remember the Flyers sending the Predators guys like Jason Beckett and Steve Washburn...along those lines...
You are underestimating. Ellison is a solid player, no matter which way you look at it. If he isn't an NHL player, he's as good a callup-player as any.

I do understand the Preds fans' worry though. Because if you are looking for the Stanley Cup then Matt Ellison, as good as he is, isn't your first option.

Malurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2007, 09:06 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malurous View Post
You are underestimating. Ellison is a solid player, no matter which way you look at it. If he isn't an NHL player, he's as good a callup-player as any.

I do understand the Preds fans' worry though. Because if you are looking for the Stanley Cup then Matt Ellison, as good as he is, isn't your first option.
We'll give him your regards, Mrs. Ellison

Old
06-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
We'll give him your regards, Mrs. Ellison
LMAO, I have to agree though...he is a quality depth player...much more realistic to see him succeed in a emergency callup than Leahy IMO and more valuable to the Admirals during his time in the AHL.