HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out Coached

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 08:05 AM
can_m_2001

vCash: 500
Out Coached

the game between the Rangers and the Islanders where Stirling was out coached is why he's losing respec fron the true hockey fans. I understand about sending a message to the rangers that the Isles wont' let them push us around. BUT if you look at the big picture, the Isle needed that two points to move up in the standings. The Rangers are NOT going to make the PLAYOFFS.

Stirling made a bad move on Thursday, he should have went with a better line up instead of dressing fighters. He should have put himself and the team above what happen with the Rangers and go on. The best way he could have got back to the Rangers was made a couple of comments during the Playoff. Something like:

RANGER (WITH THE BIGGEST PAYROLL) DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFF AGAIN. OR

NEXT SEASON FOR THE RANGERS,,,,,,AGAIN

What stirling did on thursday is just little league revenge that you see in the bush league. He lost the little respect I had for him, and should be back in AHL.

PS Don;t get me wrong I don't think the Isles should back down to any rangers and the isles should get pumped when playing the Rangers, but quite obvious the ranger were more mature about the game. lucky for the Isles they took a easy on us after going up 6-0.

Old
02-27-2004, 08:41 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by can_m_2001
the game between the Rangers and the Islanders where Stirling was out coached is why he's losing respec fron the true hockey fans. I understand about sending a message to the rangers that the Isles wont' let them push us around. BUT if you look at the big picture, the Isle needed that two points to move up in the standings. The Rangers are NOT going to make the PLAYOFFS.

Stirling made a bad move on Thursday, he should have went with a better line up instead of dressing fighters.

PS Don;t get me wrong I don't think the Isles should back down to any rangers and the isles should get pumped when playing the Rangers, but quite obvious the ranger were more mature about the game. lucky for the Isles they took a easy on us after going up 6-0.
Steve Stirling has two losses in his last nine games. Why would he be losing respect from anyone?

He dressed an extra fighter against the Rangers to protect his team, clearly after the last game they did need another fighter and they did have to protect themselves.

He dressed Godard and Weinhandl sat. It says more about Manlow's impact for the team that he played over Weinhandl.

They did need the two points but they really beat themselves and gave it away.

Bottom line, the goaltending did not give them a chance. Snow has to make the save on Leetch's shot (which was not a hard shot) and he has to hold his post on the second goal. DiPietro cannot give away the puck for an open net goal. They were undisciplined and sloppy and hurt themselves to go with another disallowed Islander goal. (is that three or four now in this six game series)

Cannot blame Stirling for weak goaltending that handed over three goals. He has two goaltenders and both did little to help. That plus the Cairns revenge decided the game. He can be blamed for the teams lack of composure and discipline.

They lost the game, they won the physical/fighting battles all night. And they richly deserved the loss.

Old
02-27-2004, 08:49 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Isles got lousy goaltending.Dunham on the other end wasn't great,but the isles didn't exactly make him stand on his head.

I'd rather sit one of the younger skilled players and have Godard in the lineup when the isles are going against the rangers.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:07 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Isles got lousy goaltending.Dunham on the other end wasn't great,but the isles didn't exactly make him stand on his head.

I'd rather sit one of the younger skilled players and have Godard in the lineup when the isles are going against the rangers.
Correct about Dunham. But he didn't have to be spectacular when he was staked to a 3-0 lead.

02-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
the game between the Rangers and the Islanders where Stirling was out coached is why he's losing respect from the true hockey fans.
Guess I'm not a true hockey fan. :p

Old
02-27-2004, 03:42 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Guess I'm not a true hockey fan. :p
me neither i suppose

this game WONT decide the season....so get a grip with it

Old
02-27-2004, 04:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Stirling made a bad move on Thursday, he should have went with a better line up instead of dressing fighters. He should have put himself and the team above what happen with the Rangers and go on. The best way he could have got back to the Rangers was made a couple of comments during the Playoff. Something like:

RANGER (WITH THE BIGGEST PAYROLL) DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFF AGAIN. OR

NEXT SEASON FOR THE RANGERS,,,,,,AGAIN

What stirling did on thursday is just little league revenge that you see in the bush league. He lost the little respect I had for him, and should be back in AHL.

I really don't that Sterling was outcouched. Of course, the real test will come in the post season. Also, the Rangers were due for a good effort because it was the Islanders and it was Renney's first game behind the bench.

I also don't think its fair to say that the Rangers were more mature. It might very well have been a different situation if it wasn't 2-0.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

Cannot blame Stirling for weak goaltending that handed over three goals. He has two goaltenders and both did little to help. That plus the Cairns revenge decided the game. He can be blamed for the teams lack of composure and discipline.

Although I do think Striling has done a fine job, I don't agree that he can't be blame for the team's lack of compsure and discipline. Good coaches instill discipline in their team.

02-27-2004, 10:00 PM
IslesJack

Send a message via ICQ to IslesJack Send a message via AIM to IslesJack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Although I do think Striling has done a fine job, I don't agree that he can't be blame for the team's lack of compsure and discipline. Good coaches instill discipline in their team.
I don't think Stirling hasn't instilled discipline. He's done the exact opposite. He sits people, INCLUDING the goaltenders when they make mistakes. (Dipietro against Washington and last night against the Rangers.) Whether you're a disciplined team or not sometimes your emotions get the better of you. Remember, Stirling can't control what happens on the ice.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Guess Stirling became a good coach overnight...Isles won tonight! :p

Old
02-27-2004, 10:18 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Guess Stirling became a good coach overnight...Isles won tonight! :p
i agree ...

too many of our fans bashing OUR own team

Old
02-28-2004, 09:33 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
He can be blamed for the teams lack of composure and discipline.

I think you misread that one, Darth. That's ok.

It's not perfect and he does not have a big group of forwards he can rely on when someone (Blake) does someting undisciplined and has to put him back after a quick benching. But he is getting a lot of defense out of his forwards and at least is trying to show that what players like Peca, Scatchard, Bates and Manlow do is what he needs from all of his forwards in terms of two-way hockey.

Last night I think he looked at his bench and had to run Blake out quicker than he may have liked.

Closed Thread