HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brian Boucher's slide

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 11:14 PM
PrairieHabber

vCash: 500
Brian Boucher's slide

As a Manitoban I follow the Coyotes' ups and downs with the Jets in mind. I always wish them well and have been disappointed in their downward spiral. I felt badly for Bobby Francis as I have respected the job he has done as a head coach.

What I have found compelling is the rise and fall of Brian Boucher. Back when he was setting attracting everyone's attention during his shut-out streak he was being mentioned as a serious Vezina candidate. I felt it was too early to say that then but his streak was so incredible that he couldn't be ignored. I have looked up his stats since "streak." My apologies if this has been written about recently. I searched the board and couldn't find any threads specific to this. Here is what I found:

Boucher's record after his last shutout during the streak: 6-2-4
Record after tonight's loss: 9-13-8
Record since the streak: 3-11-4

GAA after the last shutout of the streak: 1.63
GAA after tonight's loss: 2.62
GAA since the streak: 3.33

What I found interesting is that Boucher was pretty solid for a while after his streak. His demise statistically has come in his last 11 games. In those games he is 1-8-1 with a GAA of 4.13.

That's a lot of stats but it begs the question...specifically to Coyotes fans...are the Coyotes playing that badly or is Boucher playing that badly...or is it both? I'm curious to see your responses.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:16 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Well, Burke is gone so now what?

Old
02-27-2004, 11:22 PM
chicpea*

This might sound mean, but I think he was just hot for about 10 games. He might not be the #1 they thought they had and we might not see that kind of play again. I hope not, but it happens. Is Zac Bierk injured?

Old
02-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Jacob

I don't know what's so compelling about it, Boucher is just plain streaky, always has been. The guy really gets down on himself and bad goals/games really stew in his mind.

I'll repost what I put on another message board, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's back on waivers before the season's over. Or if he has another shutout streak. You just can never tell which Boucher you're going to get.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:28 PM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
This might sound mean, but I think he was just hot for about 10 games. He might not be the #1 they thought they had and we might not see that kind of play again. I hope not, but it happens. Is Zac Bierk injured?
Bierk hasn't played since Nov.9 and has been on the DL since then with a hip flexor. Bierk played so well for them last year (not unlike Boucher's hot streak this year). It's hard to know where else to turn. I guess they have Pelletier.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:30 PM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
I don't know what's so compelling about it, Boucher is just plain streaky, always has been. The guy really gets down on himself and bad goals/games really stew in his mind.

I'll repost what I put on another message board, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's back on waivers before the season's over. Or if he has another shutout streak. You just can never tell which Boucher you're going to get.
What is compelling is that he didn't just have a nice little streak, he was in record-setting form. As a former goaltender I understand how the mental game plays a big part of the results for goalies. I was wanting to get some responses from Coyotes fans to know whether he is a big reason for the team's slide or if he's just part of the problem.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:07 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Boucher's slide? back to reality that's all.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Stajan Fan

Quote:
This might sound mean, but I think he was just hot for about 10 games. He might not be the #1 they thought they had and we might not see that kind of play again. I hope not, but it happens.
I totally agree.

Old
02-28-2004, 07:10 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Boucher isnt part of the problem.. that's just wishful thinking on Flyerguy's part.

The team has played terrible ever since Tanabe went down in mid January which corresponds directly with the decline. Also compare Boucher's stats to the other goalies who have played on the same team (Burke, Pelletier, Bierk) and his stats are better. One other thing.. you mentioned Boucher was pretty solid after his record setting streak.. he was also pretty solid all season before it as well. It is only recently with the 8-2 and 7-2 losses that his stats are being demolished (and they are still better than any other Coyote goalie)

Boucher certainly wont be back on waivers! That would be incredibly, I mean incredibly stupid. Burke is not here anymore and that would leave the Coyotes with Bierk (injured all season) and Pelletier (unproven and UFA). The team clearly plans for Boucher to be the #1 and Leneveu to push him.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
I agree. I think he was just in a really hot zone. There is a reason that Phoenix put this guy on waivers a few times, and banished him to the minors. He isnt a #1 goalie. I think he could be the perfect backup, but I dont know if he is a guy you would want in there everynight.

The Yotes have been bad too, so it isnt all his fault. But he has looked pretty bad too.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:55 AM
hockeyhomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I agree. I think he was just in a really hot zone. There is a reason that Phoenix put this guy on waivers a few times, and banished him to the minors. He isnt a #1 goalie. I think he could be the perfect backup, but I dont know if he is a guy you would want in there everynight.

The Yotes have been bad too, so it isnt all his fault. But he has looked pretty bad too.

Not sure why some haven't nominated him for the Vezina.. During them games he had the lowest GAA of any goalie

Old
02-28-2004, 10:10 AM
XX
... Waiting

The yotes are playing for a lottery pick

I say bring in David LeNeveu and let him have a taste of the NHL. Against an easy team that is (well, we lost to pittsburgh so uhm....)

Old
02-28-2004, 10:17 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4

On waivers a few times? Er.... no. Boucher has never been on waivers once let alone a few times. Phoenix has never sent him to the minors.

He isnt a perfect backup either since he makes too much to be one - hence teams passing over him in the waiver draft where he was exposed to protect Bierk ($400k/yr). Sorry but I'm thinking you dont really know what you're talking about here..

Also back to the thread whats the talk of Vezina? Ive never seen anyone seriously nominate him for the Vezina.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Stephen

Boucher is always going to be either hot or cold. We've seen him in a grove before, and we've seen him on waivers. Maybe he'll get some consistency in his game, but this really isn't any surprise.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
On waivers a few times? Er.... no. Boucher has never been on waivers once let alone a few times. Phoenix has never sent him to the minors.

He isnt a perfect backup either since he makes too much to be one - hence teams passing over him in the waiver draft where he was exposed to protect Bierk ($400k/yr). Sorry but I'm thinking you dont really know what you're talking about here..

Also back to the thread whats the talk of Vezina? Ive never seen anyone seriously nominate him for the Vezina.
Brian Boucher was exposed during the waiver draft, which is near the equivalent of being placed on waivers as it has the same effect and usage.

The Coyotes just plain and simple have an atrocious defense and the loss of David Tanabe, who was really the top rearguard, further hurt the team as there was no depth, especially top end depth to take up those minutes. When you have #3 and #4 quality defensemen playing #1 and #2 minutes, that just weakens the whole team. I'd really love to see the Coyotes acquire a solid defenseman, and Jason Smith is a guy that fits the mold for what they need I believe. All season, since Numminen was traded, Smith has stood out as a player that would fill the hole.

Leadership is extremely lacking on this team as well. When you figure in the past year the Coyotes have lost their most vocal leader in Sean Burke, their former captain in Teppo Numminen, as well as contributions by players like Brad May, Danny Markov, Todd Simpson and the injury to Mike Johnson. There is no leadership on this team past Shane Doan I would say, and the management has stripped all the leadership it had from the team.

The only thing exciting come June for the Coyotes will be the draft where they'll get the highest draft pick they have gotten since coming to Phoenix. They have had 2 #11 picks with Dan Focht in 1996 and Frederick Sjostrom in 2001 (after trading up to Calgary's pick). This year's pick will be the highest the team has had since 1995 when they selected current captain Shane Doan 7th overall in Edmonton.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:08 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHabber
That's a lot of stats but it begs the question...specifically to Coyotes fans...are the Coyotes playing that badly or is Boucher playing that badly...or is it both? I'm curious to see your responses.
Phoenix is playing brual. If you want to point the finger at something then look no further than their defense which is largely a work in process. They are prone to the giveaway pass up the slot right on the tape of the opposition. It's easy to see one's save percentage take a deep decline when your team is giving up prime time scoring chances in the teens and twenties per game.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Brian Boucher was exposed during the waiver draft, which is near the equivalent of being placed on waivers as it has the same effect and usage.
Yep he was exposed.. I just said that in the quote you used didnt I?

Its not really the same as being on waivers (a major difference being that a team would have to expose a goalie of their own if they claimed him) and he hasnt been exposed or on waivers several times or ever sent to the minors by Phoenix as this poster seemed to think..

Old
02-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Yotes03

Boucher was just brutal last year when Burke went down. The team's play in front of him was brutal too but that doesn't excuse the soft goals that he would give up almost nightly. He looked the same until that stretch of 6 or 7 games this year when the planets were aligned or whatever and he was brick wall. Now his confidence, like the rest of the team, is non-existent and he's back to letting in soft ones nightly again. You certainly can't blame him alone for this team's problems but he hasn't exactly helped the cause. After the streak I hoped we would have traded him while he was the buzz of the league. I have no confidence in him being our number one. But at the same time this team is going nowhere this year or in the foreseeable future so it doesn't really matter. We have so many holes it doesn’t matter who’s between the pipes.

Closed Thread