HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Crosby race is on

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 07:32 AM
coachbob

vCash: 500
The Crosby race is on

Hey don't kid yourself about what George McPhee is doing here. Dumping all that salary and giving away the likes of Jagr, Bondra, Konowolchuk, and Lang as well as the imminent trades of Gonchar, Witt and Kolzig, is being done for a purpose. The Sydney Crosby now has two main contestants. George saw that this core group was going nowhere and decided that dismantling this team now was the only to get in the race and have any chance at Sydney, while stocking up on future picks and prospects. Now I know it doesn't guarantee that he'll get him but it looks like his chances have improved greatly. If Crosby lands in Washington George will be hailed as a genius. If not...................

Old
02-28-2004, 08:39 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I, for one, find all this talk of "this team & that team" tanking games is solely fan interest. And silly.

The economics of the game is causing all of this, not tanking for one's ego. That's oxymoronic. These guys want to win, not lose. Course, you can use my last statement the other way around but I digress.

Old
02-28-2004, 08:56 AM
RE-HABS

I didn't think there could be a worse team than this years Pens, well I think I'm wrong. If the Caps get rid of Gonchar and Kolzig and only get picks and prospects, the only real vet left with any talent is Carter...and I'm sure he'll be traded too if there is a true re-build on.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:07 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Like I said before, this kind of mentality is disturbing:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=55782

Old
02-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Cariboux

The Caps are doing the same thing than the Oceanic do to have Crosby

Old
02-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

The capitals would have to trade gonchar, kolzig, nylander, zubrus, and carter to be in the same league as the pens. Right now, they have talent that won't have them finish last next year.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:46 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
The capitals would have to trade gonchar, kolzig, nylander, zubrus, and carter to be in the same league as the pens. Right now, they have talent that won't have them finish last next year.
Well, Zubrus can be Washington's Morozov : the kid that didn't panned out....

However, Caps have also Witt to trade. Same goes for the Pens with Tarnstrom.

Then, we would have a fair competition between true rivals for the last place.
Expect Hawks to join them though.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Douggy

Crosby will be drafted in 2005 not 2004.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I didn't think there could be a worse team than this years Pens, well I think I'm wrong. If the Caps get rid of Gonchar and Kolzig and only get picks and prospects, the only real vet left with any talent is Carter...and I'm sure he'll be traded too if there is a true re-build on.
No, the Caps (even with out Kolzig & Gonchar) are much better than the pens. There are young guys like Halpern, Battaglia, Grier, and Zubrus who all are young but have a lot of experience.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Crosby is a good prospect but no one is going to tank a season to get him. Especially since you aren't even guaranteed first pick. Same with Pittsburgh. They arent stinking it up because they want Overchin. They are stinking it up because that is the concequence of the only way Penguins can survive. I can guarantee the team would take 20 wins more in a heartbeat, at the expense of having a good shot at #1 pick.

Washingtons actions make perfect sense. They were risking their rebuilding process by having huge long term contracts. Contracts they took on in the hopes of being a contender for the cup. When you miss the playoffs, it makes no sense to have an $11M man on your roster. You get rid of it if you can.

Some posters here are so focused on prospects that they think the whole NHL revolves around them. I honestly belive there are quite a few posters here that would rather draft Overchin than reach the Stanley Cup final.

Washington is rebuilding. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no reason at this stage to believe they will finish last next season.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Jace

Last time I checked, it wasn't the worst team in the league who picked first overall - the bottom 4 or 5 teams have the chance to pick up that lottery win and select 1st overall. This procedure is in place so teams don't tank, and guarantee picking up Lemieux or Daigle. The idea that Washington is tanking one full season before the draft of Crosby is completely assinine in my honest opinion.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:09 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace
Last time I checked, it wasn't the worst team in the league who picked first overall - the bottom 4 or 5 teams have the chance to pick up that lottery win and select 1st overall. This procedure is in place so teams don't tank, and guarantee picking up Lemieux or Daigle. The idea that Washington is tanking one full season before the draft of Crosby is completely assinine in my honest opinion.
If there's a lockout next season, and the bottom 5 teams from this year are re-shuffled, it's almost certain that Pitt won't get Crosby. #2 is the worst possibly selection available this year, and I say that hampers their chances in the ideology of a re-shuffle.

IMO, whichever team finishes 3-4th has the greatest chance of landing Sidney in the event of a re-shuffle. That may very well be the Capitals, or the Jackets, or the Blackhawks.

I'd much rather Washington finish 3rd/4th, take Barker, and set themselves up nicely for Crosby.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:10 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace

I agree. It is more likely that he is moving all of these pieces so that he can find a a buyer for his team. I mean, he has done the same thing that most sporting franchises do prior to thier being sold. I doubt that the Caps will be sold but, if you are going to speculate that the team would actually tank on purpose as a plan then this idea is easily as viable. Or as ridiculous.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:18 PM
coachbob

If any one believes that this isn't a classic tank they should wake up. Go ahead and be politically correct and call it rebuilding. Penguins tanked last year and will be the favourites for the top pick (weighted lottery) this year and the Caps have improved their chances in 2005. My buddy Don Cherry would call this one like it is - a team that is tanking. This team has 6-7 bonafide stars that it already has or probably will move before the deadline. The picture doesn't get any clearer.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian

Washington is rebuilding. Nothing more, nothing less. There is no reason at this stage to believe they will finish last next season.
Perfectly stated Freudian. The moves Washington is currently making make sense, and would have been done if every player played for free. Bondra is 36, will he still be playing when Washington is good again? Jagr is 32, he will be nearly, if not completely done, by the time the Caps are good again. Lang is 33, he will be done by the time the Caps are good again. Kolzig is almost 34, he will be done by the time the Caps are good again. The ONLY guy they MAY have wanted to keep is Gonchar, but even he is almost 30, and he will be near the end by the time the Caps are good again.

Washington is using their assets to their best advantage right now. Simply put, they are trading things that have no value to them winning the cup for things that may have value for them winning the cup. The same goes for Pittsburgh (who really should have trade Lemieux). The fact that they suck horribly is OK, they still barely crack the top 10 worst teams ever. And they will be better equiped to win 5+ years from now because of it. Hanging onto Jagr, Bondra, Lang, etc. would have done NOTHING 5 years from now when they are ready to compete again.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:39 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Crosby will be drafted in 2005 not 2004.
Yeah, we all know that, people are talking about next year.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachbob
If any one believes that this isn't a classic tank they should wake up. Go ahead and be politically correct and call it rebuilding. Penguins tanked last year and will be the favourites for the top pick (weighted lottery) this year and the Caps have improved their chances in 2005. My buddy Don Cherry would call this one like it is - a team that is tanking. This team has 6-7 bonafide stars that it already has or probably will move before the deadline. The picture doesn't get any clearer.
Not sure if you've heard of this thing called payroll. Pittsburgh doesn't have much of it because they don't have an ownership group that can afford to pick up the tab on the teams financial losses.

You and your "buddy" are delusional on several topics.

Old
02-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
I, for one, find all this talk of "this team & that team" tanking games is solely fan interest. And silly.

The economics of the game is causing all of this, not tanking for one's ego. That's oxymoronic. These guys want to win, not lose. Course, you can use my last statement the other way around but I digress.

Players, coaches and GMs are paid to win!!!! They are not paid to collect the shiniest prospects. While the latter may be a means to an end (winning), it itself is not the end.

McPhee is deconstructing his team in hopes of losing for a draft two years from now? How diabolical! :p

And how imaginative.

Were it to be true, it could be filed under "career suicide."

Closed Thread