HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A lockout would be ridiculous

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Rahan

vCash: 500
A lockout would be ridiculous

A Lockout would be ridiculous. The players are making themselves look bad, and they're ruining all their arguments. Just an example, Forsberg going back to Finland to play for Modo if there's a Lockout. Now don't tell me Modo will pay him 6 millions a year, the teams in the SEL don't have that kind of money. So if he plays for maybe, 700k/year, it makes no sense to make a Lockout in the NHL, since they are proving they ARE willing to play for a smaller amount of money.

They're acting very smart if you want my advice. Thoughts?

Old
02-28-2004, 04:05 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
A Lockout would be ridiculous. The players are making themselves look bad, and they're ruining all their arguments. Just an example, Forsberg going back to Finland to play for Modo if there's a Lockout. Now don't tell me Modo will pay him 6 millions a year, the teams in the SEL don't have that kind of money. So if he plays for maybe, 700k/year, it makes no sense to make a Lockout in the NHL, since they are proving they ARE willing to play for a smaller amount of money.

I think Forsberg is looking at things from the perspective that he has enough money and he would love to play in the Swedish Elite League before his level of play declines even if it means playing for less money.

There are more things to life than money. He may view the quality of life in Sweden as being better as well.

Old
02-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Rahan

You got a point, but for the others, that are menacing to play in Elite leagues in Europe just to stay in shape... it makes no sense.

Old
02-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Ever thought that playing half as many games and to be close to every friend and relative might help if it's only for a few months or possibly a year? I think it makes sense for most of the european players.

Old
02-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Rahan

Okay, but I heard about american players going into Elite leagues, now they would play for peanuts really far from home, ever thought of that?

Old
02-28-2004, 04:31 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Okay, but I heard about american players going into Elite leagues, now they would play for peanuts really far from home, ever thought of that?
When many of them have been making millions of dollars per year to play a frigin' game, I don't think it'll kill them to make a few hundred thousand to play in Europe. As for Forsberg, he's got nothing left to prove except win a championship with his hometown team.

Old
02-28-2004, 05:01 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:

I think you mean a "strike" would be ridiculous. If they are "locked out" that would mean the owners are barring them from coming to work. What would you like them to do? (aside from work it out that is). What they are doing is finding an alternate source of income.

Old
02-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I understand. But that's not how the players, their leeching agents and the NHLPA see it.

When these guys negociate for numbers, they argue for their share of the money in this market. That's pretty much how many business and freelancers operate.

Take this site for instance. Many of the writers in various section of HF have good jobs. But they write here for free. Doesn't mean they will be willing to do their professional work for the same "fee".

It's a question of principles and markets.

Same goes for Hollywood actors. They'll ask for more when they play in the summer's blockbuster than if they are willing to play in an artsy movie with a lower budget.

When you ask for a contract anywhere, your talent is only part of the equation. Your value (what your work will earn your employer) plays a part too.

Old
02-28-2004, 05:47 PM
shveik

It is only ridiculous if it doesn't work out

The whole idea behind any strike is to suffer short term for a long term benefit. The players are catching a lot of flak not because what they are doing is stupid, but because most people cannot comprehend how a six-to-seven figure salary can be called "suffering". So there is not a whole lot of sympathy for them.

Closed Thread